Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

She’s so worthless.  Really nothing political with this take - having dealt with her in the past...She’s a pompous POS hack.  

Do tell. She strikes me as the angry Indian person who wanted to become a physician but was not able to and the closest thing she could do was marry a physician.

Just now, C-Man said:

How does Russia only have like 45-50 cases?

either they are putting their thumb on the scale or they are just flat out not testing...

wonder what a pandemic does to Russia as they already have huge issues with the long term population trends in their country - nothing good, that's for sure

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Never thought of this for curing covid19

It's showing to be normally killed by the same temps that kill flu or cold viruses. So I've been on a takeout/delivery thrown into the oven as soon as I get home diet for a week now while saving my frozen/canned stuff for if we get shut down Italian style. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

How refreshing! A blog post with a) useful advice, and b) citations! Outside of funny memes, it's probably the most useful thing I've seen on Facebook in days.

Coronavirus and the Sun: a Lesson from the 1918 Influenza Pandemic

Sounds good, but they weren’t in Austin where you have 7 billion types of allergens trying to kill you outside either.

5 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

It still seems like we're several steps behind what we need to be doing. We need to be building temporary hospitals and figuring out how to rapidly increase production and availability of ventilators. Like a war-time effort. I'm not sure we're doing either. 

well, hopefully trump declares a disaster and we will have more capabilities going forward

20 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I wonder how quickly companies that make ventilators can scale up.  Seems like an opportunity to do something great for humanity and make a little $ at the same time.

Well, since I'm all but positive that every such company is either entirely in China or depends on parts from China....not looking good, there, chief.

Now, I DO wonder if we can come up with a design to create makeshift ventilators using off-the-shelf parts.....engineering students and steely-eyed missile men, get to work!

• Like 1

If testing is so unimportant, why is the president spending so much time during his national address to talk about it? Hmm, it's almost like it's our best tool for tracking the spread and state of the viral spread across the nation. 

Not hearing a ton of specifics and/or action items on how we'll weather the storm. 

Hell, president just interrupted himself saying he doesn't think we'll have 4 and a half million sick. Holy shit he still doesn't think it's real. 

His speech is going off the rails. Buckle up, day traders. 

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

It's showing to be normally killed by the same temps that kill flu or cold viruses. So I've been on a takeout/delivery thrown into the oven as soon as I get home diet for a week now while saving my frozen/canned stuff for if we get shut down Italian style. 

Singapore is on the equator and  it’s doing just fine. Nature isnt going to stop this thing 

3 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, since I'm all but positive that every such company is either entirely in China or depends on parts from China....not looking good, there, chief.

Now, I DO wonder if we can come up with a design to create makeshift ventilators using off-the-shelf parts.....engineering students and steely-eyed missile men, get to work!

3D printing had a chance to shine.  Can’t make the whole thing, but surely it could speed up the process somehow.  

3 hours ago, HoustonFrog said:

They need to figure it out or just shut it down. More misleading than anything at the moment.

Come back in a few days/weeks when it can support tens of millions of views

What the fuck are you talking about

No, really.

What the fuck are you talking about?

It has been a source of truth for WEEKS. it isn't "misleading" when it is showing data from ~1 hour ago to keep it from going down. it's been up for weeks and earlier this week they saw a 3x spike in traffic in one morning. 

They did note they had an issue earlier today - they are working on the problem and they acknowledged it.

This is 2020. This is the real world. There isn't really a way to keep this from happening some times when sites get hammered. It happens to Surly, it has happened to *every* site ever.

They are basically getting DDOS'd, getting who knows how many hits per second because their info is strong, sourced and real. 

Welcome to the internet in 2020 (and 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016 - every year since I have ever been online) sites go down from time to time.

This is a situation where you keep having issues with it - again this is what? the 3rd or 4th time you have mentioned having problems with it (that were solved by waiting 30-60 seconds before refreshing again)

You are more than welcome to use one of the other sites out there instead of not understanding how the internet works.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Singapore is on the equator and  it’s doing just fine. Nature isnt going to stop this thing 

Was referring to temps used to kill viruses on food. Most small businesses are restaurants these days so we can still support our local small businesses during this tough time for them by taking the food home and heating it up to kill any surface virus that may have come from preparation. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

I wonder how quickly companies that make ventilators can scale up.  Seems like an opportunity to do something great for humanity and make a little $ at the same time.

28 minutes ago, NoName said:

how many of them are manufactured in the States vs (Southeast) Asia?

not sure what type of ventilators you are referring to but 3M has manufacturing plants in the US.  something tells me they still source from China.  this is pure speculation based on their stock value.

i know someone who provides equipment for disaster recovery (not necessarily ventilators but think of equipment needed for Hurricane disasters).  they source from China.

Edited by Hmmm

20 minutes ago, CleverNickname said:

I sent a message to my doc to ask if I should taper from losartan 25mg that helps with my mild hypertension (120/90 with meds). Some thought that ace inhibitors might increase severity of covid symptoms. 

I'm following this for my dad (haven't told him yet though).  But follow Peter Attia on Twitter/Instagram.  He's a great follow in normal life for everyday health/lifespan stuff but he's in the process of aggregating all kinds of data on Covid.  To date nothing definitive on this but he's already mentioned he is trying to collect more data.   From what I've read the theory makes sense, but again, still early in the game.    Big takeaway is frankly that everyone should try to avoid getting sick for as long as we can so we have time to figure more shit like this out.

8 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Singapore took immediate and decisive action

That is 100% (and the only reason) why it is doing "just fine" - just in case people read this as weather related

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away