Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

My brother was confirmed this Monday by cdc.  Exposed 6 days before while on flight.  Someone called him to come in since many on flight has tested positive, very coincidentally same day he got fever.  Feeling normalish now after 5 days of 99-102 degrees.  45 years old, btw.

Doctors told him it's been around for a while but no testing =no confirmation. 

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:
3 hours ago, Armybrat said:
Mrs. Brat is still undecided about going to 7:30am Mass on Sunday. At least they quit all that grubbing over each other and are supposedly just waving their love greetings.
However, the Austin Archdiocese Bishop said the religious education classes will resume after Spring Break. Mrs. Brat co-teaches the 1st graders on Monday afternoons. We’ll see if that guy changes his tune in the next week.
Not being a church-goer myself, she is reluctant to let me influence anything that has to do with her devout religious life.
Read more  

I got lucky. My parents' church is suspending services indefinitely. My dad is having a tough talk with his workers tonight to tell them to take this seriously. My dad is 75, and I finally convinced him to be serious about it. FYI, he agrees kids are gross and are super spreaders.

My wife (and myself and the kids when we get dragged along) goes to one of the larger churches in Austin.  Plenty of olds.  Lots of olds.    On their Facebook page this afternoon, they posted that everybody should attend, and they are looking forward to seeing everybody on Sunday.   

Wife and I:

spacer.png

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

My wife (and myself and the kids when we get dragged along) goes to one of the larger churches in Austin.  Plenty of olds.  Lots of olds.    On their Facebook page this afternoon, they posted that everybody should attend, and they are looking forward to seeing everybody on Sunday.   

Wife and I:

spacer.png

Amazing. The church I attend is doing all services online. They have sent emails and text messages reminding people to not show up. 

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wife and I:

spacer.png

That’s fucking regarded. They are going to get some olds killed.

20 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

No joke. Just seems as though these repeated events are coming from these types of places and since it ends up impacting the world, maybe they should control it better.

I have seen reference to it on world health websites as a pandemic control measure.  They need to be eliminated.

There's a reason most of the world doesn't slaughter meat at the selling place.

• Like 1

I’m not seeing many updates about China lately. They reported 8 new cases today which continues to be a huge decline. Are many of their existing cases progressing to the “recovered” phase?

I’m still a little confused about how they managed to do this by only quarantining 75 million people. Yeah that’s a lot of people but it’s less than 6% of their population. The virus is spreading like wildfire throughout the rest of the world, so how is it that 94% of China has managed to survive this without quarantine?

Or are these simply false numbers and Chinese propaganda that don’t accurately portray what’s happening there?

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

If you haven't already done so, now is a good time to introduce some of the classics that have songs that become ear worms:

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (the original with Gene Wilder)

Sound of Music

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang

Bedknobs and Broomsticks

The Wizard of Oz (unless the flying monkeys are too scary)

Mary Poppins

Annie

Singing in the Rain

The Muppets

There are more, but for older children most likely

Thanks for the references regarding the seashells. I don't think I've ever seen that movie. My husband may have but if I walk in and he's in the middle of a movie I leave him alone--otherwise I would sit and annoy him with questions.  (like about the seashells!)

Okay, sorry for the complete movie derail--back to COVID-19. That was some stat regarding the male to female ratio. That's not a good sign.

I need to show mine a few on your list. We’ve watched Flight of the navigator, Willow, Swiss family Robinson (cultural differences warning), rocketeer, Rats of Nihm and sword in the stone. Lots of good stuff. Also a lot more cussing in pg movies and straight up shooting people with machine guns (no blood/wounds shown), but I turned out ok so they should be fine. 

13 minutes ago, Hornbeliever said:

My brother was confirmed this Monday by cdc.  Exposed 6 days before while on flight.  Someone called him to come in since many on flight has tested positive, very coincidentally same day he got fever.  Feeling normalish now after 5 days of 99-102 degrees.  45 years old, btw.

Doctors told him it's been around for a while but no testing =no confirmation. 

Thanks

I’m not seeing many updates about China lately. They reported 8 new cases today which continues to be a huge decline. Are many of their existing cases progressing to the “recovered” phase?

I’m still a little confused about how they managed to do this by only quarantining 75 million people. Yeah that’s a lot of people but it’s less than 6% of their population. The virus is spreading like wildfire throughout the rest of the world, so how is it that 94% of China has managed to survive this without quarantine?

Or are these simply false numbers and Chinese propaganda that don’t accurately portray what’s happening there?

They have Top Men on it.

5 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

My church emailed us today that they are shutting down for three weeks and are streaming. 

Whatever your opinion of organized religion, this is a good thing for community health. 

Our church has an extremely robust, professional-grade streaming setup, and has for years, for the shut-in olds and those traveling or who can’t make it into one of the campuses.  

I did get a response back from a friend who is a deacon there, and he said it’s being discussed, and plenty have made it clear they aren’t going to be their Sunday.  

7 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Anybody on here actually have it?  That’s who I want to hear from, the rest is conjecture.  

We have a separate thread for that. It sounds like there is a well known poster on this board who has it right now. Will he get tested and win the $10,000 Surly Grand Prize* or will the government cockblock him with the lack of access to testing? Tune in later and find out!

*There is no grand prize. 

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

In case you are worried:

4d00d3b9e839c5c2fa9060b39758f097.jpg

My family stockpiled so we don’t have to go to the grocery store but maybe once every two weeks, and even then I can just pop into a smaller store, grab some milk and be out in a few minutes without being around the unwashed Karens who are spreading it.  

New rules today in Austin

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/austin-public-health-urges-organizers-to-cancel-events-of-250-people-issues-new-rules-for-restaurants/

New rules, effective Friday, March 13, state that food permit holders and people in charge of food businesses must:

• Display “Help Prevent Disease” signs provided by Austin Public Health in a prominent public location clearly visible to the general public and patrons
  • Make hand sanitizer available to the general public and to patrons
  • Disinfect and sanitize commonly touched surfaces and nonfood-contact surfaces of equipment of the establishment at least once every hour
  • Adopt and implement a policy that provides for the immediate exclusion of food handlers from duties if they develop a fever greater than or equal to 100.4 degrees during their shift

APH says that failure to comply with these Emergency Rules, which will expire July 12, will constitute a public health hazard and may result in immediate suspension of food establishment permits.

http://www.austintexas.gov/COVID19

Make hand sanitizer available to the general public and to patrons

spacer.png

18 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

[Tinfoil/Vaccinate most of your citizens, sacrifice one area known for eating snakes and bats by releasing it into that area, watch it spread some death, fear and economic destruction around the rest of the world while you get your shit back together and lock in being the one stable supplier of choice...because you're healthy, let your buddies in Russia have the vaccine as well/[hat]

Or the false numbers things

[Tinfoil/Vaccinate most of your citizens, sacrifice one area known for eating snakes and bats by releasing it into that area, watch it spread some death, fear and economic destruction around the rest of the world while you get your shit back together and lock in being the one stable supplier of choice...because you're healthy, let your buddies in Russia have the vaccine as well/[hat]
Or the false numbers things

The false numbers in this case would mean what exactly? Wuhan numbers are still worse than they are telling us and the situation is not under control?

What about the rest of China? How is 90% of the country relatively unscathed while the rest of the world is breaking down?

It just doesn’t make sense to me.

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

The false numbers in this case would mean what exactly? Wuhan numbers are still worse than they are telling us and the situation is not under control?

What about the rest of China? How is 90% of the country relatively unscathed while the rest of the world is breaking down?

It just doesn’t make sense to me.

Just assume China is lying. 

24 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

BBQ2, given that home base of the past problems it is most certainly from a wet market. I myself avoid pangolins, but I’m not here to judge.

Joey... you ever... been in a Pangolin market in Wuhan?

• Like 3

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away