Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

El Virus
El Virus
My lungs are on fire
With El Virus

Eyes are sunk and hollow
Lips are pale and white
That bug can sure 'nough make my little voice whine
I get a funny feelin'
Up and down my spine
'Cause I know that it's my El Virus time

Well I'm singin'
El Virus
El Virus
My lungs are on fire
With El Virus

Giddyup uh oom poppa oom poppa mow mow
Giddyup uh oom poppa oom poppa mow mow

Hi-yo Silver, awayyyyyyyyyyy

• Like 5

So, as the messenger from east Texas:

The Marvin UMC has cancelled all worship services Sunday.

And absolutely good for them

/Of course, see the UMC thread for what is happening to the Methodist conference later this year (and for our family who will be bailing). 

But good for the moment.

Edited by dcbc

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Hoy shit Spain.   To far behind Italy - what, a week or two?

Fucking hell, one of my students this semester is from Spain, and I got an email from him this morning telling me that he was going back to Spain to be with his parents.

I had no idea how to reply.  

I finally told him that his family was in my prayers and that if I were his dad, I'd be really really proud of him.  

Fuck.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Fucking hell, one of my students this semester is from Spain, and I got an email from him this morning telling me that he was going back to Spain to be with his parents.

I finally told him that his family was in my prayers and that if I were his dad, I'd be really really proud of him.  

Fuck.

He’d understand “adios mofo”

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Fuck.

You are a kind teacher.  That kindness will go with him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Constant said:

The drive into work was pretty discouraging. Road traffic was exactly the same. Bar parking lots, restaurants, drive thru lines....all full. Anecdotal, I’m sure, but holy hell people. It should be a ghost town, in theory. 

Seriously? Where do you live? Dallas traffic is non existent right now and we barely have any confirmed cases.

Fuck.

49993020c6e133d66305e6545e732fb2.gif
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Seriously? Where do you live? Dallas traffic is non existent right now and we barely have any confirmed cases.

I was driving e/b 20 from Arlington into southwest Dallas. I would have believed you if you told me it was 3/13/2019. 

8 minutes ago, Zepol87 said:

Needed a few rolls of TP. Went to the Valero down the street grabbed some and a 12 pack. All is well but I'll get drunk quarantine myself

Yeah my nearest 7-11 had plenty of toilet paper, bottled water, and whatever food they normally have, mostly frozen pizzas and stuff.  I didn't buy any because I began hoarding 2 weeks ago, but if any of you are in a tough spot, that's likely an option.

I can't keep up with this thread - can't read every page.  SIAP:

LEAGUE CITY — A Friendswood-area woman has tested positive for the new coronavirus, becoming the first such case to be reported in Galveston County, local officials said Friday.

The woman, who is in her early 30s, began feeling symptoms of fever and cough on March 5. She traveled to Austin the following day by car, and sought medical care after several days of symptoms. She was tested by the Travis County Health Department on Wednesday, and the results showed a presumptive positive test for coronavirus. The results are being sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for confirmation.

The woman was in self-quarantine in Austin.

The female patient is directly linked to the case of a man in his 40s who tested positive in Montgomery County, authorities said. ...

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Galveston-County-confirms-first-presumptive-15129300.php

7 minutes ago, Constant said:

I was driving e/b 20 from Arlington into southwest Dallas. I would have believed you if you told me it was 3/13/2019. 

Hmm that might be a more traveled corridor. I'm up by 635 between 75 and the toll way and there straight up hasn't been a rush hour for the last few days. 

AISD Parents
https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austin-isd-board-holds-emergency-meeting-on-friday-night/

On Friday night, the Austin Independent School District Board of Trustees held an emergency meeting to discuss its response to COVID-19.

At the meeting, the board told Superintendent Paul Cruz that they’re giving him some power to make some decisions going forward.

But as of yet, AISD will not extend Spring Break further.

Also  discussion of the extensive cleaning over spring break, and if school comes back at the normal time, how much cleaning will be done everyday (janitors and maintenance folks are probably maxed out).  

Edited by atomheartbevo

Just assume China is lying. 

I do assume that, but even with that in mind, how has China avoided quarantining the entire country? Given the way this has spread throughout the rest of the world, it surprises me that Beijing and Shanghai and every other major city in China are continuing without quarantine. Surely there was a high amount of travel between Wuhan and the rest of China prior to the lockdown, so I would expect outbreaks across the country, yet that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Practical question.  I’ve got a 6 and 3yo.  Normal weekend activities include the usual germ collectors like Little Land, Catch Air (now Playmazing), and local parks.  I can’t keep them in the house for 2 weeks without all of us going crazy.  Are parks the best compromise for burning off energy with the least exposure?  Should we avoid the indoor play venues?

I’m already planning on drinking, trying to coerce the wife into the mood, calling South Austin’s mom and seeing if HEB is open...so I’ll hang up and listen.  

1 hour ago, Constant said:

The drive into work was pretty discouraging. Road traffic was exactly the same. Bar parking lots, restaurants, drive thru lines....all full. Anecdotal, I’m sure, but holy hell people. It should be a ghost town, in theory. 

Went 90 before 7 on Mopac for the first time in 5+yrs. it’s changed in ATX

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Practical question.  I’ve got a 6 and 3yo.  Normal weekend activities include the usual germ collectors like Little Land, Catch Air (now Playmazing), and local parks.  I can’t keep them in the house for 2 weeks without all of us going crazy.  Are parks the best compromise for burning off energy with the least exposure?  Should we avoid the indoor play venues?

I’m already planning on drinking, trying to coerce the wife into the mood, calling South Austin’s mom and seeing if HEB is open...so I’ll hang up and listen.  

I have a 3yo and a 2 week old, we go to all those places too but yeah I’m avoiding them for the next few weeks.  We’re going to be rotating through some of the lesser used parks in our area for the 3 yo and have a few backyard games/activities on the way (hopefully) to keep him occupied.

EVeryone who reads facebook has probably seen this, but it's really good:

I am going to do my very best to make this my last status about the non-stop stress that is the Coronavirus and then step away from the whole thing:

It is not about you. It never was about you and it never will be about you.

It is not about basketball, Carnival in Venice, Mickey Mouse, soccer, Nascar or the fashion week in Milan. While I, too, am heartbroken for the people that have trained their whole lives for their moment, that moment simply cannot be now.

It is not about its inferiority to the flu, vaccines, cell phone towers, just washing your hands, toilet paper or what demographic of the non-survivors seems to be hit the most. Theories are a great way to look back and see what we could do differently..but, at present, I think action is more important than trying to point fingers.

It is not about politics, who is president, who wants to be president, who was president, which party you support or some sort of false regime that will come into place should we take stricter measures. Apparently, in modern-day America, this one needs to be included.

It is not about panic. Being cautious and taking things seriously is not panic; it is being responsible for things you are able to control. The things you can’t are going to happen anyway, this at least relieves some of the burden.

It IS about people. That simple. People are dying in droves here (third day in a row that the death toll has been over 165, really hoping that trend ends today). For you statistics people, Italy has about 5 ½ times less population than the US and 21 ⅕ times less than China (imagine 900 people dying in one day in the US or 3,500 in China...for three days in a row). In two weeks, there have been 1,000 deaths. Keep in mind that over 850 of those deaths are in just two regions (a land size that is roughly ⅓ of the size of the state of Georgia). One. Thousand. Deaths. In an area of around 53,000 km squared (about 20,000 miles squared...again, Georgia is almost 60,000 miles squared). While I am not Italian, my heart breaks for the things I am seeing all around me. It is not something to be messed with.

Hospitals here are overwhelmed and are having to decide between things that are “life-threatening” and things that have to wait. There simply are not enough healthy doctors, beds, machines or manpower to keep the whole thing afloat. Tough decisions are having to be made. Italy has, quite honestly, the best healthcare I have ever received in my life..but, they just weren’t ready for how quickly it all came to pass. It is like a social experiment gone awry. I am sure if you asked anyone three weeks ago if they were prepared, the answer would have been yes (myself, certainly, included); the onset was just too much.

The only things open at present are pharmacies and grocery stores (and, even then, you don’t go unless you have to). I had to go get a prescription filled yesterday and the whole place is a ghost town. Everything is boarded up with hand-written signs reminding the community that we must be vigilant for those who can’t. There are fines if you try to leave your area (without valid reason). It is sad to see, but necessary. We stay home not because of “government control”, but because we must. There are 1,000 more lives to be lost if we don’t.

We are just now starting to see how contagious this virus is. Imagine you are somewhere and you, kindly, bend over to help someone pick up their keys they dropped; it could be something that simple...best of intentions, worst of outcomes. Some people that have it don’t know for weeks and others simply carry it, without ever showing symptoms. This is why we stay at home.

Look, I understand that America cannot come to a halt. I get that people still have to work to provide for their families. I get that closing schools makes this whole process seem almost impossible to adhere to. I really do. I see the differences between my nationality and the country where I currently reside. The measures do not need to be as drastic as they are here (and, frankly, they can’t be at present), but any action is forward motion. If you don’t NEED to do something, don’t. That simple. Think about those that have compromised immune systems (not only the elderly) and are not in the 98% survival rate that everyone keeps going on and on about. Something tells me if you asked any of those athletes, or people from canceled events if they would rather “go on as normal” or have a family member die from coming to support them..suddenly that 2% becomes the whole pie chart. Think of others and act accordingly.

It is not about you. It never was about you and it never will be about you.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Constant said:

Literally first call out of the box and I’m taking a guy to jail for family violence that just got off a plan from Colorado where he took his daughter to that Post Malone concert. I wish I could make this shit up. 

12 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Indoor places are germ havens. Do you really think Chucky Cheese does a good job washing down their play centers? Think about it. Outdoor play areas not only have fewer kids and less elaborate play centers, they are also outdoors which help kill some of the virus. With that said, I would avoid the playground a bit and go to other areas of the park.

Maybe I am a bad dad, but yes I am going to avoid the indoor play places, but I am still going to take my kids to the park and playground as of now. I guess kids are getting this, which is scary as shit, but I don't think this had badly affecting anyone under the age of 18 unless I am missing it. Maybe bring wipes and constantly wipe, etc. Not sure what is right, guess just see how it goes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

Like I give a fuck what Schlotsky's president has to say about anything.

Too perfect. I've been getting emails from places that I haven't gotten an email from in months. They might email me once a year.

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

Is it just me or are people being nicer all of a sudden? Just seems like normal interactions are a little more congenial. I guess I would hope this is the case all over, maybe it's not.

Just you. Actually, it is a mix. Take a trip to the grocery or Walmart if you want to see mean. Although, I did have a nice conversation with a lady at Sprouts while a couple in front of us was returning about 90 items on Sprouts' busiest day ever (probably).

5 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Maybe I am a bad dad, but yes I am going to avoid the indoor play places, but I am still going to take my kids to the park and playground as of now. I guess kids are getting this, which is scary as shit, but I don't think this had badly affecting anyone under the age of 18 unless I am missing it. Maybe bring wipes and constantly wipe, etc. Not sure what is right, guess just see how it goes. 

Well it's not so much about your kids catching it and suffering, but rather them catching it and then infecting someone in a higher risk category.  Like your parents.  Or your spouse's parents.  Or the elderly neighbor down the street.  

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, utee94 said:

Well it's not so much about your kids catching it and suffering, but rather them catching it and then infecting someone in a higher risk category.  Like your parents.  Or your spouse's parents.  Or the elderly neighbor down the street.  

Yeah, that is a good point. But I am not sure keeping all kids home for however long is going to happen. Guess was mostly thinking of the kids, but yeah, the kids spread it to the parents, grandparents, etc. Fuck. 

12 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

You and every other parent who doesn’t want to deal with their kids will be at the park, letting the germ spreaders run free, while reading all the horror stories on your phones and simultaneously creating someone else’s. Sounds like something I’d do. So, don’t do it.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You and every other parent who doesn’t want to deal with their kids will be at the park, letting the germ spreaders run free, while reading all the horror stories on your phones and simultaneously creating someone else’s. Sounds like something I’d do. So, don’t do it.

Fuck you, but I also hear ya. Since every kid in the country is basically going to be on a 2 week minimum spring break, just going to be interesting to see. 

3 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

I don't think I've ever seen that movie. My husband may have but if I walk in and he's in the middle of a movie I leave him alone--otherwise I would sit and annoy him with questions.  (like about the seashells!)

That's probably a smart move.  You're a good wife. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Homercles said:

We’ve got a 7 and 4 yo.  Our plan is neighborhood park most days for a few hours, maybe picnic, soccer, baseball, bicycling.  Basically avoiding most others, with the exception of a few close friend (but not getting too close).  Healthy collection of library books. Plus online/ebooks.  We have a state park pass and plan on using it every other day.  McKinney Falls, etc.   Camping for a few days, fishing.   

And avoiding the older relatives and friends.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away