Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Fuck you, but I also hear ya. Since every kid in the country is basically going to be on a 2 week minimum spring break, just going to be interesting to see. 

I’m concerned work from home and extended spring breaks will just be a ticket to go to the gym, hang out around town, socialize, go to restaurants and bars, party, etc. I’m not sure people have enough discipline or common sense to actually spend that time at home.

I ordered carry out pizza from Cane Rosso in Fort Worth tonight. When I went to pick it up the place was packed. Lots of people still don’t take this seriously.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

You poors don’t have a playground in your back yard?

I think Richard and Carole Gottleib live on Lobwedgephil's street.

But seriously, if one has time, this is a great opportunity to explore some of the nearby nature parks that your kids have never been to.  The newness may temporarily displace the cries for a playground.  State parks, state forests, county parks, places like the Armand Bayou Nature Center.  Usually have large, grassy picnic areas they can run around in.  And if you can go right after a rain it should be less crowded and less worry about germs on the picnic tables.  I'm big right now on self-quarantines, but getting out to a park now and then (away from the playgrounds) seems a low risk compromise.

#HintsFromHelotes

Edited by clapclapclap
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Practical question.  I’ve got a 6 and 3yo.  Normal weekend activities include the usual germ collectors like Little Land, Catch Air (now Playmazing), and local parks.  I can’t keep them in the house for 2 weeks without all of us going crazy.  Are parks the best compromise for burning off energy with the least exposure?  Should we avoid the indoor play venues?

I’m already planning on drinking, trying to coerce the wife into the mood, calling South Austin’s mom and seeing if HEB is open...so I’ll hang up and listen.  

You don't need to be overly paranoid about kids.  All the ID docs I spoke with said the olds and those with preexisting conditions should avoid being out and about.  It's really fine for kids as long as it's you and them at a park.  Try to keep them out of crowds of 250 people or more.  That's a general rule. 

59 minutes ago, Constant said:

Literally first call out of the box and I’m taking a guy to jail for family violence that just got off a plan from Colorado where he took his daughter to that Post Malone concert. I wish I could make this shit up. 

Sounds like an indecent exposure charge. 

You're welcome. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

I’m concerned work from home and extended spring breaks will just be a ticket to go to the gym, hang out around town, socialize, go to restaurants and bars, party, etc. I’m not sure people have enough discipline or common sense to actually spend that time at home.

I ordered carry out pizza from Cane Rosso in Fort Worth tonight. When I went to pick it up the place was packed. Lots of people still don’t take this seriously.

Agree with you as well there, despite the panic shopping, I don't think people understand. I see restaurants being a little less busy, but bars are even more busy. People drink when stressed. The good news is the numbers, 80% of the people that get it will only have mild symptoms, the bad news is also the numbers, the death rate is very high for old and those with preexisting conditions. 

Absolutely need to be careful, take as many precautions as possible. 

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

You don't need to be overly paranoid about kids.  All the ID docs I spoke with said the olds and those with preexisting conditions should avoid being out and about.  It's really fine for kids as long as it's you and them at a park.  Try to keep them out of crowds of 250 people or more.  That's a general rule. 

OK, but then keep yourself and your kids away from olds and others with risk factors after doing this.  

• Like 1

Went to pick up some food in Euless off of 183 and I noticed the Flix movie house or similar had a full parking lot. Even the Itz kids gym/indoor amusement appeared to have a lot of cars. We’re doomed.

1 minute ago, Guadaloopy said:

OK, but then keep yourself and your kids away from olds and others with risk factors after doing this.  

I've said for a long time...the olds should all be quarantined.  Seriously.  It's much easier and makes much more sense than quarantining the rest of the public.  Also those with preexisting conditions.  Isolate yourselves like your life depends on it.  Because, yeah. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Fuck I read this like 10 minutes ago then came back and I just got the joke. 

Well done. Will you be here all week?

Sadly, I've curtailed my weekend shenanigans and the wife just got back from Europe...so yes, unfortunately for you all, I will be right fucking here. 

16 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I've said for a long time...the olds should all be quarantined.  Seriously.  It's much easier and makes much more sense than quarantining the rest of the public.  Also those with preexisting conditions.  Isolate yourselves like your life depends on it.  Because, yeah. 

That actually should happen, it kind of is with every senior living place limiting visitors, but it needs to be way worse. Sucks, but that needs to happen. Isolate everyone over 60, will be brutal, but will save countless lives. As  for the rest, the risk is minimal. 

Just now, Lobwedgephil said:

That actually should happen, it kind of is with every senior living place limiting visitors, but it needs to be way worse. Sucks, but that needs to happen. Isolate everyone over 60, will be brutal, but will save countless lives. As  for the rest, the risk is minimal. 

Yes and the economy would be taking a small hit, not this wipeout.  I also think it would be awesome forcing all the politicians to stay in their damn house.  No CR.  ALL the old MF’s...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Ha, I feel for you, there's gonna be some batshit crazy MF's being holed up with their family' for far too long.  

Yeah I've seen a lot of people talking about how there are gonna be all these babies born nine months from now. Lol no, that is not how these things work, sadly.

2 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Fuck you, but I also hear ya. Since every kid in the country is basically going to be on a 2 week minimum spring break, just going to be interesting to see. 

Just buy them a PS4/Xbox 1/switch or of they have them then buy them a shit load of new games. Instant 2 week babysitter

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Didn’t see this previously posted in the last 4 pages, and no CR as possible. Don’t count on any google site helping you out about testing anytime soon:

https://www.wired.com/story/coronavirus-donald-trump-google-website/

Google says they had no idea it was going to be a focal point of Trumps efforts speech, and the site will only began in San Fran initially, and was only supposed to be designed for Health Care Workers. 

• Like 1

This morning on the way to the gym I pulled through the HEB parking lot near my house.  Of course they were not open...  It was 6:15 and about 20 people had gathered outside and said they’re opening at 8. As I drove off I decided to grab a few dozen donuts for them during the long wait.  I was a bit nervous dropping breakfast off.  Would they think this is an act of kindness or remarkably insensitive (here’s some finger food to share with strangers as you worry about covid...)?  Anyway I decided to do what I felt was right and let things sort out from there.  What I did know for sure was the Kroger across the street also had a line. And fuck those people.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

I do assume that, but even with that in mind, how has China avoided quarantining the entire country? Given the way this has spread throughout the rest of the world, it surprises me that Beijing and Shanghai and every other major city in China are continuing without quarantine. Surely there was a high amount of travel between Wuhan and the rest of China prior to the lockdown, so I would expect outbreaks across the country, yet that doesn’t seem to be the case.

There’s the mystery thriller scenario where China released it in Hubei in order to tank US mfg/supply chain and damage the market, buy tons of stock on the cheap and own America. 

I think more likely the extreme measures they took (locking people in homes, use of video surveillance etc) and their basic police state helped. In China that fucker that flew to NYC to Palm Springs would never A) got on plane due to screening at airport B) would have known he’d probably be arrested. 

China government has different response capabilities 

Just buy them a PS4/Xbox 1/switch or of they have them then buy them a shit load of new games. Instant 2 week babysitter
Not kidding, our new Xbox 1 arrived here last night. Our oldest is 4, and I'm only introducing him to Kinect stuff for now. Hopefully that gives us a little active entertainment inside given it's supposed to rain here all week.
  • Like 1

I am not an infectious disease expert but I would suspect that the risk of getting sick outdoors is far lower than it is indoors, provided you aren't in a crowd of people breathing on each other. If it's warm and sunny, I don't think the playground equipment at the park would be all that dangerous. Sunlight kills everything. 

Chucke E Fucking Cheese is a completely different story, however, and those places should be shut own by order of the health department, which I suspect is forthcoming, just like movie theaters and concert venues will eventually be shut down. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BrazilHorn said:

There’s the mystery thriller scenario where China released it in Hubei in order to tank US mfg/supply chain and damage the market, buy tons of stock on the cheap and own America. 

I think more likely the extreme measures they took (locking people in homes, use of video surveillance etc) and their basic police state helped. In China that fucker that flew to NYC to Palm Springs would never A) got on plane due to screening at airport B) would have known he’d probably be arrested. 

China government has different response capabilities 

Lol.   The US, if we truly take this scare seriously, has the opportunity to bend Saudi, Russia, and China over a fucking barrel right now.  We just have to do it intelligently.   There are so many fucking ways we can make it happen, we just have to be willing to work together to do it.  

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Helobious said:

Currently in McAllen, business as usual for the most part. Haven’t been to the stores yet though. I stopped at Dairy Queen in George west on the way down. If I get coronavirus from that it was destiny anyway. 

Down here for the weekend and they don't give a fuck about the virus.  Think I might roll the dice and head out to either La Curva or Alicias for lunch today.  

32 minutes ago, crimsonlonghorn said:

I am not an infectious disease expert but I would suspect that the risk of getting sick outdoors is far lower than it is indoors, provided you aren't in a crowd of people breathing on each other. If it's warm and sunny, I don't think the playground equipment at the park would be all that dangerous. Sunlight kills everything. 

Chucke E Fucking Cheese is a completely different story, however, and those places should be shut own by order of the health department, which I suspect is forthcoming, just like movie theaters and concert venues will eventually be shut down. 

Chuck E Diseases

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Hawndoh said:

If all you're going to do is a cardio machine why not just jog around your block a few times and not risk it?

Bad disks in neck and back make running not a great option.  Prefer using a ARC trainer at the gym to help with those issues.  Afraid to life weights or do multiple machines like I usually do.  My other choice is to sit around the house all day and watch TV and eat ice cream.

• Haha 1

I was looking at Florida's case count on the BNO site-68 cases and 2 deaths. Compared to Washington state (568/37) which is further along in spread, I hope Florida has their plan together. Wait, what am I saying? Is this where climate may become a factor in reducing the risk or has that been disproven?

7 hours ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Agree with you as well there, despite the panic shopping, I don't think people understand. I see restaurants being a little less busy, but bars are even more busy. People drink when stressed. The good news is the numbers, 80% of the people that get it will only have mild symptoms, the bad news is also the numbers, the death rate is very high for old and those with preexisting conditions. 

Absolutely need to be careful, take as many precautions as possible. 

I'm going to dive into the edibles stash.  Stay mellow my friend.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Beantown Express 2.0 said:

Bad disks in neck and back make running not a great option.  Prefer using a ARC trainer at the gym to help with those issues.  Afraid to life weights or do multiple machines like I usually do.  My other choice is to sit around the house all day and watch TV and eat ice cream.

Is the gym close by so you could check out if it's busy? Do you have access to a pool--maybe swimming is an option? (I don't know how that works with respect to the virus, but pools have monitored chemical levels, correct?)

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away