Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

To clarify you also insist SHE not go. 

My wife is livid with me I’m being so controlling not letting her take my kiddos to see her parents or my parents. All in their 70s. I said I’m sorry but this will be one time I put my foot down. We’re not getting near olds. We are staying at home. She is pissed. Don’t give a fuck. 

This is actually best for everyone involved, especially the old folks and the kiddos. Not sure what your wife is on. Above post should go in "stupid shit my wife says" thread.

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

1.  Potential for using antibodies from recovered people.  1 recovered would only potentially treat a severe case on a 1 to 1 basis but could use small doses to help prevent healthcare workers and front line workers from contracting Covid (1 recovered could treat dozens).  This isn't a new 'trick".  Has been used successfully with other diseases before.  Thinks it makes sense to try to ramp up to see if helpful while waiting on potential new drugs.

The bolded part won't happen.

4 minutes ago, Skipper said:

3.  Disagrees with assertions China not providing access or relevant data.  Doctors/scientist definitely sharing what they know.  Overall frustrated with vaccine progress.

This may be true, but China held up providing samples of the virus to us which partially caused the delay in testing in the US.

6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

5.  Transmission - new data Friday  is pretty significant survival on surfaces (72 hours plastic, 48 cardboard, 24 on steel, 8/24 on copper).  Still think between 2.4 and 3.5 R0 (2 or 3X more transmissible than flu).  Fatality still unclear but somewhere between 4 and 20X more than flu.   Chinese told us all this early on but we weren't listening.

I don't know who we are but at the beginning of this thread, people were talking about the virus having a mortality rate of 6%. Backing into the numbers, I was coming up with a mortality rate of 0.3-0.4% which is 10X the mortality rate of the flu.

9 minutes ago, Skipper said:

8.  No evidence yet warmer weather going to slow things down.  Can't count on it.  We just don't know.

This is true, but it should happen. This virus like all viruses is killed by heat. So fomites that are exposed to heat aren't going to spread disease as often because the virus won't survive on them as long. This holds true to outside air as well. Inside air conditioned buildings, the virus will still be active. People still need to change their routines.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

My wife is livid with me I’m being so controlling not letting her take my kiddos to see her parents or my parents. All in their 70s. I said I’m sorry but this will be one time I put my foot down. We’re not getting near olds. We are staying at home. She is pissed. Don’t give a fuck. 

Don't give a fuck. Don't get a fuck.

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They cancelled mass.  He updated us.  But yes, insisting would have been the right move.  We are in talks with CMS with our group to move as much coverage to telehealth as we can. 

I lol’ed hard at Lake Travis Methodist Church earlier.  Said on KXAN they are having “Drive-thru communion” tomorrow from 8:30 to 11.   I’m tempted to go, just to order a double body of Christ, fries and a large blood of Christ shake.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

If the RO is 2x or 3x the flu, but we make no significant effort to stop flu transmission- shake hands, large gatherings, eating, fucking, sucking, etc, than with the distancing efforts in place, shouldn’t the true RO be significantly less?

8 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

They cancelled mass.  He updated us.  But yes, insisting would have been the right move.  We are in talks with CMS with our group to move as much coverage to telehealth as we can. 

I had been leaning on her the past few days to not go and it created much stress between us. But when I showed her the Bishop’s online dispensation statement today she broke down and wept, saying that she had already planned to stay home.

Hopefully then she will avoid catching it and I can go ahead to consume those DQ Blizzards and just die from an ordinary heart attack. 

23 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, higher transmission but lower fatality than originally thought seems to be where this is trending. But for those who are terrible at math, those numbers still add up to 1.875 million global deaths from this virus in the next two years. 82,500 American deaths if the numbers were to be real and also hold true in the US.

I'll take the under on the US number. 

3 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

I had been leaning on her the past few days to not go and it created much stress between us. But when I showed her the Bishop’s online dispensation statement today she broke down and wept, saying that she had already planned to stay home.

Hopefully then she will avoid catching it and I can go ahead to consume those DQ Blizzards and just die from an ordinary heart attack. 

Forgiving granny because she is old, but organized religion has been controlling people and getting them killed since the dawn of mankind. Have a DQ Blizzard for me gramps. It is impressive that you're not lactose intolerant at your age.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

This is true, but it should happen. This virus like all viruses is killed by heat. So fomites that are exposed to heat aren't going to spread disease as often because the virus won't survive on them as long. This holds true to outside air as well. Inside air conditioned buildings, the virus will still be active. People still need to change their routines.

Then it is a good idea for the grocery stores to leave their carts outside in the side to help kill the virus?

Just how long does such exposure take to be effective? Makes me wonder if playground equipment in the parks need to be cleaned?

Your wife sounds like she's dumber than you are.

7 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Forgiving granny because she is old, but organized religion has been controlling people and getting them killed since the dawn of mankind. Have a DQ Blizzard for me gramps. It is impressive that you're not lactose intolerant at your age.

I’m glad my Grandma has the attitude that at age 90 that she isn’t going hear anything new on Sunday at this point and will gladly stay home. 

26 minutes ago, Skipper said:

11.   Laughed about how different he has to act going on the different networks to talk (on one network have to say something nice about the president, on another, have to say something negative, in order for them to let you get your points across).

12.  Would probably be embarrassed at what he said on interviews 2 or 3 weeks ago.  This thing is moving so fast.   Answers and insights are going to be constantly changing.

Was listening to Sirius XM's Doctor Radio (Ch. 121?) last night and the host went on a rant about "Why are we banning flights from other countries when we have community spread here now?"  I about drove off the road.  Am I missing something?  Don't flight bans help with 'Flattening the curve'?  Less mixing in a tightly spaced aircraft,  fewer carriers from other infected zones,  fewer total persons added to our country when we are expecting a critical shortage of hospital and ICU beds.

Then someone called in to basically ask if the high blast air driers in bathrooms might actually stir up the air enough to potentially increase the airborne spread of CV.  Neither doctor answered, instead giving "It's great that you were washing your hands, this is what is needed."  To be fair, they may have got lost because the idiot caller took 5 minutes to ask a simple question and lumped it in with "Is it bad that we don't have many tests yet?  I think it is bad" which of course they responded to first with the generic hot takes we've read/heard a million times.

15 minutes ago, Loco said:

Legal question for Surly lawyers - can local/state/federal government in the US do this under emergency powers? 

2 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

I'll take the under on the US number. 

I am not sure we're ever going to have a solid grasp of the fatality rate because it's pretty clear we have no idea how many people are currently infected and we aren't going to catch up.

18 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The bolded part won't happen.

First part - Why is that?

Second - Is it heat or UV light? 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Beeper said:

We also live with the Joneses. 

Humblebrag game strong to quite strong. I also like the subtle humblebrag on how hot your wife is given the level of crazy you're dealing with. 9/10.

Stay safe though. You're in the right here.

Edited by gmr548

38 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Yes, higher transmission but lower fatality than originally thought seems to be where this is trending. But for those who are terrible at math, those numbers still add up to 1.875 million global deaths from this virus in the next two years. 82,500 American deaths if the numbers were to be real and also hold true in the US.

So... the flu?

/ducks

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Then it is a good idea for the grocery stores to leave their carts outside in the side to help kill the virus?

Just how long does such exposure take to be effective? Makes me wonder if playground equipment in the parks need to be cleaned?

UV is actually a pretty decent sanitizer, on a sunny day outside in a park is probably less risk than indoors

2 hours ago, Anastasis said:

I don't think that discontinuation of an ACEI would result in a rapid decrease of ACE2 expression, at least not in the time frame that exposure is likely to occur (7-10 days). 

Yeah, but you never know - especially if this is a long term thing where you risk infection for a number of weeks.  After talking with my PCP, I went ahead and moved from Olmesartan to Norvasc just in case.  If there are problems with the Norvasc I will likely switch back, though.

Illinois governor just gave a great speech.

tl/dr Stay home right now even if you are young. Don’t spread this to others who are vulnerable. Most people will be ok, call your primary doc and don’t rush into an emergency room spreading it if you think you have it as most people can be treated at home. 

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Yeah, but you never know - especially if this is a long term thing where you risk infection for a number of weeks.  After talking with my PCP, I went ahead and moved from Olmesartan to Norvasc just in case.  If there are problems with the Norvasc I will likely switch back, though.

Seems reasonable. From a public health perspective I wouldn’t push it as a matter of policy or recommendation, but for an n of 1 it doesn’t hurt anything. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away