Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

On 3/1/2020 at 12:03 AM, achooloco said:

If we’re unlucky?

Looking at the SK timeline, and assuming it’s already here in mostly undetected mild cases but on the other hand we have a much larger country with mass transit limited to a few large cities... 12 days until they get posted more than state tweets but yeah, next week when the first BNO city tweets pop up. But hey, fingers crossed, the longer it takes the better!

quoting myself but looks like i was wrong. Probably due to NOT HAVING ANY FUCKING TESTS done at an appreciable level but still wrong. Have we even hit a case in every state? Almost, right? Hang in there everyone, regardless of being sick everything shutting down is posing a slew of problems.

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Absolutely terrifying

as someone who intubates people for a living, im frightened enough to not leave my house for a while

Well, with sports or real life, at least you’re consistent. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

I assume that smaller cities and towns haven't hit the same panic levels but all of this hoarding in major cities just disrupts distribution everywhere else. 

I live 45 mins west of Katy. We have a HEB pantry, a Walmart and a Brookshire Bros. in a town of 3500. Everything is cleaned out, not because of locals, but because of Houston heading west looking for supplies. We chose a lifestyle of “social distancing” but that falls apart in a panic hoarding.  Most of the small towns along I-10 and about 20 miles north and south of it are experiencing the same thing, people coming through and buying everything out.  I saw a number of posters bitching about and making fun of small towns in the “Could you live in a small town” thread.  Amazing how that mentality changes when the big city begins to break down. 

• Like 2

I live 45 mins west of Katy. We have a HEB pantry, a Walmart and a Brookshire Bros. in a town of 3500. Everything is cleaned out, not because of locals, but because of Houston heading west looking for supplies. We chose a lifestyle of “social distancing” but that falls apart in a panic hoarding.  Most of the small towns along I-10 and about 20 miles north and south of it are experiencing the same thing, people coming through and buying everything out.  I saw a number of posters bitching about and making fun of small towns in the “Could you live in a small town” thread.  Amazing how that mentality changes when the big city begins to break down. 

I don’t really understand this. I live just east of Katy and while things are wild and supplies are somewhat low, you can still find basically anything you need. Sure a couple things may be gone, but if you check a couple stores (CVS, dollar stores, etc) you can get anything.

I’ve yet to have to drive more than 5 minutes from my house to get anything I need.

3 minutes ago, gecko said:

That’s actually a damn good idea especially since there are admin staff that could be temp shifted to child care or other duties. One key element would be for quick turnaround of covid tests. Many parents would be worried about their kids getting covid at the childcare. Therefore you have to continually test people to ensure positive tests are quarantined quickly.

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Oh and as for how the hoarding is going....   Stores are already starting to run low on canned goods.  I made one last trip early this morning to round out my stuff and the HEB nearest me was nearly bone dry of ramen, beans of almost any type,  maybe 2/3s of canned veggies,  bread was scarce.  I was there getting some spices and flavorings to use long term.  Most people had carts piled high with whatever they could get.  A lot of people are going to be eating canned corn with cereal for dinner I guess.

A friend was north of me in Porter and the Walmart was similar.  Totally different demographics for the most part between Kingwood and Porter but the stores are also only about 10 miles apart.  I assume that smaller cities and towns haven't hit the same panic levels but all of this hoarding in major cities just disrupts distribution everywhere else. 

You would be wrong.  It's nationwide at this point.  The only thing keeping the smaller towns back is they're not as wealthy as the big cities.  Tomorrow EBT cards load, though.  Might not be much foo left.

4 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

I don’t really understand this. I live just east of Katy and while things are wild and supplies are somewhat low, you can still find basically anything you need. Sure a couple things may be gone, but if you check a couple stores (CVS, dollar stores, etc) you can get anything.

I’ve yet to have to drive more than 5 minutes from my house to get anything I need.

Wait a week and tell me what it looks like.

2 minutes ago, HoustonFrog said:

I passed an AldI today that had a line out front to be let in, when there was a stocked Kroger about a mile away. People act on assumptions.

not too mention don’t underestimate the number of people that are buying supplies to ultimately sell. It doesn’t take many playing “retail arbitrage” to empty stores of desirable items.

1 minute ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I passed an AldI today that had a line out front to be let in, when there was a stocked Kroger about a mile away. People act on assumptions.

not too mention don’t underestimate the number of people that are buying supplies to ultimately sell. It doesn’t take many playing “retail arbitrage” to empty stores of desirable items.

That's prolly one of the few stocked Krogers and it prolly depends what time of day you're talking about.  The big boxes restock the store and certain categories are cleaned out in a few hours.  Kroger is like all of the other chains and selling YUGE amounts of product and having trouble getting enough.

how does this thing spread?

have a friend who was coughing yesterday and trying to hide it from people. said its a cold and doesn't seem like the VID. he is at a vball tourney today. one i am not at cuz i can't completely breathe and feel a bit off

its coming to a theater near you. 

2 minutes ago, staboner said:

have a friend who was coughing yesterday and trying to hide it from people. said its a cold and doesn't seem like the VID. he is at a vball tourney today. one i am not at cuz i can't completely breathe and feel a bit off

I like "C-virus" best.

9 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Fuck them.  Time to crackdown on that shit right now.

Your friend sucks at this thing called life
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

not sure what makes you say this

1) china, italy, iran, france, and spain all have over 2.5% mortality rate

2) we still havent imposed quarantine

3) people arent taking social distancing seriously

4) we are and have been and will continue to be on track with the above countries listed

5) our healthcare system is going to get overwhelmed. Full stop. We did not prepare for this at all. And with no leadership, we are fucked

ill take a stab and screenshot this take but when the dust settles, ill say the mortality rate ends up around 3.25%

• Like 2

This thread moves fast so this may have already been asked and answered, sorry if so.

I know there is a Silver Lining thread but I'm looking for some positive news regarding outcome/timeline. How do you all think this goes? Really, Really bad for 2 weeks? total shutdown through the end of April? things perk back up and the economy comes back strong?  

thanks in advance.

Iran building mass graves. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/13/middleeast/iran-coronavirus-mass-graves-intl/index.html
France and Spain are joining Italy on complete lockdown. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-51892477
Lockdown sucks. It really sucks. It can't last more than a month to six weeks I don't think.

From the France link:

"The closure applies to restaurants, cafes, cinemas and nightclubs as well as non-essential businesses.

It will not..
affect essential businesses which he listed as...tobacco shops..."

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

china, italy, iran, france, and spain all have over 2.5% mortality rate

isn’t that the percentage of confirmed cases? is it not assumed that there are many, many more unconfirmed and untested cases than confirmed?

2 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

This thread moves fast so this may have already been asked and answered, sorry if so.

I know there is a Silver Lining thread but I'm looking for some positive news regarding outcome/timeline. How do you all think this goes? Really, Really bad for 2 weeks? total shutdown through the end of April? things perk back up and the economy comes back strong?  

thanks in advance.

spacer.png

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

thanks in advance.

It may be a painful death, but it will be quick.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

There were around 5 people at Randall’s today. The meat and eggs were gone but they had most everything else 

Same here.  Fresh red meat counter wiped out, but the fresh seafood counter was full. Sliced meats and cheeses were gone but plenty of other frozen meat, bacon and sausage.  Ain't nobody gonna starve.  Plus, they had toilet paper and large quantities of bottled water.  Who knew?

4 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

thanks in advance.

sure, why not?  probably another couple weeks of mass hysteria then it all burns off and the dow hits 35,000 by november.  

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away