Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, 2300 Nueces said:

Yes they did.  They quickly figured out that shutting everything down was going to do 100x the damage than letting the virus run it's course.  Essentially we are going to end up with a massive debt default, sick people, and starvation.  The problem of overloaded hospitals is going to seem small in short order.

Actually no, they were very strict for a few weeks then let things open back up.  That's the point...if you hit it hard early you can flatten that curve.  I'm not totally against what you're saying...if we had a way to completely quarantine olds and those with underlying medical conditions we probably could have gone on without such a serious lockdown on everything...but we have no real way of quarantining those demographics appropriately and still caring for them. 

52 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The reason its 7% (and going to continue to climb) is because the country is and has been out of ventilators for almost 5 days now

that will easily happen here

Northwestern here in Chicago is ready to buy a couple thousand ventilators.  They seem to believe this is pretty fucking serious.  LMK if any of you have a hook up.  

6 minutes ago, B00M said:

The 20-something party goer might say the same to you telling them to stay in. We're asking everyone to make choices for the benefit of society. The most obvious way to prevent hospital over run is social distancing. The next best thing we can do is individually be as healthy as possible to minimize our chances of taking a hospital bed we wouldn't otherwise need. 

Again, go fuck yourself.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok so is fortnite ok for preteens then?  I’ve said no to online community gaming so far, but they turn 11 this week. Fortnite might be a decent distraction. They are already getting a Switch and Mario odyssey as new content. 
i do not have any gaming headsets if that impacts the playability of fortnite. 

It does not impact and probably for the best. Fortnite is just fine for preteens outside of the random person that might end up in the squad and uses foul language. Just turn off voice communication all together if that is a concern and they can play just fine.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Ok so is fortnite ok for preteens then?  I’ve said no to online community gaming so far, but they turn 11 this week. Fortnite might be a decent distraction. They are already getting a Switch and Mario odyssey as new content. 

Everyone’s moving to that new CoD battle royale.

48 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

There is some data from Wuhan to show how this works.  In China, they asked all of the people who tested positive to guess what day they started showing symptoms, and then backed that up to show when they probably were exposed.

Shortly after the date of the lockdown, they believe new infections dropped significantly.  But it took around 12 days for that drop to show up in the form of a reduction of new daily cases.  Once you start social distancing or lockdowns, you have to go through about two weeks and trust that it is working before you see a benefit in the data.

This. 

2 hours ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Daughter came down with fever. Anyone know how we get testing in Austin?

Why does she need to get tested?  Just quarantine her and give fluids.  Literally zero will change if she's positive except you're taking her out and others may get it from her.  Kids have had very few issues with complications from COVID.  And if she doesn't have it you'll be in an area where others do have it.  I don't see the point as a physician.  

• Like 2

My 18 year old son has been all over the fucking place this week. He decided to take a trip to Fiesta Texas, played in the Comal baseball tournament, been to his girlfriend's house daily, attempted to make a day trip to N. Padre, crashed at his friend's house and has probably played in a Chuck E Cheese ball pit too.

My 67 year old mother in law just showed up a little while ago unannounced and it turns out her and my son made plans to go out for lunch and do a little shopping. I looked at my wife and she said "well, they already made plans."

spacer.png

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

This is the first Austin brewery/restaurant/pub I've seen that has decided to temporarily shutter

If you want to support some of our local breweries during this time, there's also this

Online Brewery Merch Sales

I think we'll see more of that.  With a significant decline in patrons, especially with the loss of SXSW, a lot of restaurants may have no choice but to cut costs by temporarily reducing salaries and other overhead just to survive. 

3 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

This is the first Austin brewery/restaurant/pub I've seen that has decided to temporarily shutter

If you want to support some of our local breweries during this time, there's also this

Online Brewery Merch Sales

Lots of Chicago bars/restaurants will close.  New rule is 100 people max in any space. 

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

My 18 year old son has been all over the fucking place this week. He decided to take a trip to Fiesta Texas, played in the Comal baseball tournament, been to his girlfriend's house daily, attempted to make a day trip to N. Padre, crashed at his friend's house and has probably played in a Chuck E Cheese ball pit too.

My 67 year old mother in law just showed up a little while ago unannounced and it turns out her and my son made plans to go out for lunch and do a little shopping. I looked at my wife and she said "well, they already made plans."

spacer.png

JFC

24 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:
34 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:
Flu a. Same child has already had flu B. Fucking petri dish.

Wait, but this is amazing news still, right? You're saying this is the one you were going to have tested for CV?

So far Flu A isn't any better as far as a kid goes...as far as the rest of the family goes though it likely is.  That said also just goes to show that the good old standbys are still out in full force doing their thing and all the "I think I have the Covid" is probably a 50/50 reaction at best.

Glad it's the good old flu Gardner

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Northwestern here in Chicago is ready to buy a couple thousand ventilators.  They seem to believe this is pretty fucking serious.  LMK if any of you have a hook up.  

For the state of WA, getting hit hard first and mobilizing for extra ventilators is like the sole preppier hitting Costco over 2 weeks ago.  Watching WA Gov. Inslee talking about this week before last, there was a moment when I sensed he was thinking ahead about the bottleneck while not saying it out loud.  At least that was my spontaneous thought.

34 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Flu a. Same child has already had flu B. Fucking petri dish.

awesome.  that gives hope.  even with the under 17, to hear of regular old flu A or flu B from a test shows WHY WE NEED MASSIVE WIDESPREAD TESTING.  We could still bend towards an SK curve with a shutdown and massive testing of anyone with symptoms and the overall economic impact would be less.

• Like 1

Would y'all like me to start a "Stir crazy" thread for parents? I made a long ass post with things to do on the Corona Kindness thread, but I see a lot of Fortnite etc material on here that might be getting in others' way. I'm happy to do so if you think it would help save the children......and their parents. (kidding).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

If so, then I would hope there are very specific plans underway everywhere to create new hospital beds equipped with the proper equipment to handle those whose symptoms become critical.

Lack of existing ventilators and beds, never mind creating new ones, and the 2-3 week stays and PPE for everybody involved   

Out of 5,000 or so beds in Austin, 500 being open at any one time is best-case scenario from what I’ve seen. 

Gonna need the military temporary hospitals, but that’s not enough if there’s no ventilators.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

46 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Perfectly fine for pre-teen. No blood, very cartoon-like. Creative mode where you build your own world, is fun. My 12yo has been playing since he was ~10. 

1 hour ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I believe this is vindication for Junior Miller. He and GreenspointTexas were telling us of these cases and the Houston versions 2 weeks ago. 

Can you imagine being a Gunspoint patient. What a calming influence.

"Guess who just got reinstated!"

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

@ChiTownDoc - also look here :

Had this program since 2001 evidently

Even so, it's why we MUST flatten the curve.  Shut it all down now.  Every day of delay brings exponentially worse outcomes in coming weeks.

Sorry is there a link to get respirators somewhere here?  I'm an idoit with twitter. 

Old

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Sorry is there a link to get respirators somewhere here?  I'm an idoit with twitter. 

yeah didn't click first.  Don't have a link, but key on the "The Strategic National Stockpile" and LTV-1200 Ventilator.  I expect there is going to be some kind of distribution method, but odds are it will be uncoordinated.  Probably better to get out front if its at all possible.

15 minutes ago, F250 said:

spacer.png

My 65 y/o MIL went to church this morning because they were just under the 250 person limit. No red flags there! She was the fucking GREETER. If she comes over unannounced she's not coming inside.

• Like 1

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

It is crazy and frustrating to me, that as a physician, there is nobody in en emergency response role in the medical community, available to help you with this. And that you are having to ask on a college football message board.  You deserve better and more timely info.  And we, as potential patients, deserve for you to have better and more timely info.

I've been speculating that, although this outbreak is going to have negative outcomes for a LOT of people, we're actually lucky that the disease itself isn't more deadly than it is.  Because down the road, there will be one that is just as contagious as this one, but more deadly.  We''ll need to perform a literal and extensive post mortem on this situation and our response, and figure out global best practices, and then apply those lessons learned for the next one that could be a lot worse.

• Like 4

.....and.....my wife has a business partner in Dallas.  Not much personal contact, haven't met face-to-face in several weeks....but she's now in bed with a fever, significant aches, and the beginning of a cough.

Also, my wife is in the wedding business.  Obviously, the cascade effects are starting -- people looking to move their wedding to the fall, etc.  As I understand, most vendors are trying hard to work with them, find available dates, etc.

2 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It is crazy and frustrating to me, that as a physician, there is nobody in en emergency response role in the medical community, available to help you with this. And that you are having to ask on a college football message board. 

How dare you besmirch The Surly.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, utee94 said:

It is crazy and frustrating to me, that as a physician, there is nobody in en emergency response role in the medical community, available to help you with this. And that you are having to ask on a college football message board.

Has he even tried the Help board?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away