Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, i think it's going to be up to states and cities. 

My take too. Wack-a-mole for the next 12-24 months. And I'm not sure we'll see full on shutdown anywhere. I'm not sure America has the stomach for anything past drive-thru only.

FWIW:

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

yeah, i think it's going to be up to states and cities. 

I had to work then run by Lowe's for a few things I will need prior to any shutdown. The number of olds out (> 65) is staggering. I had a 70+ plus come into our urgent care for a trivial musculoskeletal problem sitting around 4 others with upper respiratory symptoms. I just had to shake my head. We just try to get them back into a room and isolate them quickly.

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

I'd be consulting with the Germans right about now.  They're doing something to minimize losses despite comparable total case numbers.

Do we REALLY want to emulate the Germans when it comes to population "control"?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

It is concerning that we're more than 10 minutes into the coronavirus task force press briefing and they haven't told us anything about the spread within the US, or the preparation being done for what's coming. 

I’d like to hear their estimates on ventilators.  

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

It is concerning that we're more than 10 minutes into the coronavirus task force press briefing and they haven't told us anything about the spread within the US, or the preparation being done for what's coming. 

Because they have nothing. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

My take too. Wack-a-mole for the next 12-24 months. And I'm not sure we'll see full on shutdown anywhere. I'm not sure America has the stomach for anything past drive-thru only.

FWIW:

I don't want to discourage people from social distancing and these shutdowns are super important and should happen now, but Bergamo is 2.7x the size of Lodi and with a population density that is 3x that of Lodi. It's not all that surprising that they are being hit harder than Lodi, regardless of the implementation of the shutdown. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DaysOff said:

Just can't help themselves 765575d41e5790a0e91001ff74d928a4.jpg

So this Aggie fuck took 6 years to get into/through Med School and was still chief resident at UT Southwestern?  And then... Was actively involved in the Osteopathic Medical Association. 

Calling bullshit.  This guy works weekdays at Boot Barn.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fuck. Two weeks ago they promised a million tests.  A week ago today, they promised 4 million tests by now.  Now we are back to a few million.    They should stop giving out specific numbers at this point.  

I'd call it a clown show except I think actual circus clowns would have handled this better. 

It's a sad day when it's evident Americans are so ridiculously stupid that in a time of crisis the government has to save them from themselves and it's 100 percent legitimately warranted. 

They should let this Dr. Giroir speak first. I have more confidence with him at the podium. Hopefully, what he speaks comes to fruition this week. I spoke with our local VP of clinical operations today and it seems we are on the brink of opening up a lot of testing.

Just now, Junior Miller said:

I'd call it a clown show except I think actual circus clowns would have handled this better. 

It's a sad day when it's evident Americans are so ridiculously stupid that in a time of crisis the government has to save them from themselves and it's 100 percent legitimately warranted. 

I won’t blame the teens and college kids having to see the authorities closing down spring break venues before they realize shit is bad.    But fuck all if there aren’t far too many older folks who really believe their bulletproof.   People who lose their shit when their meds don’t show up on time, but they’ll roll into the local stores that are packed.   

When the woman who will be portrayed by Renee Zellwegger said “our own novel way”, all I could think of was how the feds fucked up our testing and cost us a good month or more of data.    Where we are at right now, we should have been at a week or two ago.   

Edited by atomheartbevo

Yikes not a good comparison there "remember when China changed their definition and had a blip up? We're about to have that"

Acknowledgement that there's a shitload more cases out than we know of. 

Shit, my MIL called earlier today with all the corona-symptoms, I think people are going to start flipping out when the numbers come in. 

• Like 1

My social media feed is full of bio-med research geeks having an over-my-head discussion of cytokine storms. The upshot that I am gathering is that the pneumonia phase is actually your immune system attacking your lungs, not the virus, and that all the young dumbfucks partying this weekend are less at risk this time, but are now permanently more at risk of this, SARS, and God knows what else.

good times.

Edited by Walden Ponderer
Fucking autocorrect.

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I think people are going to start flipping out when the numbers come in. 

Hopefully it brings our case fatality rate down. But yes, we are going to flip when more accurate case reporting comes through.

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

But fuck all if there aren’t far too many older folks who really believe their bulletproof.

Most I talk to just don’t want to live in fear. They’ve been through a lot of shit to get where they are. They wake up every day, thankful to be alive and would rather live free than to worry about something which has a 15-20% chance of killing them, IF they are infected.

A 70+ year old lady I spoke with yesterday indicated she’d much rather die right now from this, than have a 6 month losing battle with cancer, or to even make it to the age of having her diaper changed by a stranger. Not everyone fears death, and especially not those who are consistently walking on the verge of it anyway.

• Like 1

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Most I talk to just don’t want to live in fear. They’ve been through a lot of shit to get where they are. They wake up every day, thankful to be alive and would rather live free than to worry about something which has a 15-20% chance of killing them, IF they are infected.

A 70+ year old lady I spoke with yesterday indicated she’d much rather die right now from this, than have a 6 month losing battle with cancer, or to even make it to the age of having her diaper changed by a stranger. Not everyone fears death, and especially not those who are consistently walking on the verge of it anyway.

Boomers who really haven't suffered at all for the past 50 years are such a beating .

• Like 6
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Their tune will change when they get turned away from the hospital.  

29 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

FWIW:

Good stuff.  I also looked it up and Lodi is 2900/sq mile pop density and Bergamo is 7900/sq mile.  I think we will see that while social distancing is a very important tool it general it's an absolutely critical tool the higher up the pop density scale you are (for obvious reasons if you watched the balls bounce around on that WaPo simulator)

My office is in a suburb of Dallas with some absolute morons.  It’s a very evangelical community.  I’m in all the local FB groups as my business/office and have to engage in the community from time to time. The level of idiocy is mind boggling.  Lots of people posting today about the media blowing this out of proportion.  People posting to still go to church mass.  One lady said she has Jesus in her heart and having faith in Jesus is why she doesn’t see why she can’t be out and about and that Jesus will protect her.  Tons of people posting that this is what life will be like if Bernie was elected.  Not trying to make this political or religious.  Just stating that this big suburb is full of fucking morons.  I bet this is probably happening in other communities with complete different demographics and religious/political views as well.  

I’m cancelling all my appointments this week and rescheduling everything.   This is why this virus is going to spread like wildfire.  Same idiots are running around buying all the sodas, potato chips, and toilet paper and then not even practicing social distancing.  They are partaking in the frenzy at the grocery stores and then telling people not to stay home and are out drinking at local bars and going to church/events in huge masses.  

Edited by victory88
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away