Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Just stopped in to Hobby Lobby and grabbed some models (B-17, hot rod, and a small battleship), and some paints.  Have A few things arriving from Amazon.  Ran into another dad doing the same

It’s been decades since I did a proper scale model, but this is going to be a good time for father-son bonding.    He’s 7 and I don’t want him camping on the iPad the whole time   

And I splurged and got acrylics, so I don’t swear up a storm like my dad did when I spilled a bottle of enamel on our dining table.  

Check out Plasmo on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC53hZgZPlQmKWFRFSpxbSxw

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

This right here is the Crux of the issue.

Yes there will be deaths and most serious cases among the elderly and otherwise compromised.  But there will be small but numerically significant percentages of the population outside of these high risk groups that will require emergency hospital care that will ultimately result in full recovery assuming that they can get adequate care.  However, if the emergency care system is overloaded, then that standard of care will be compromised and we will end up seeing unnecessary deaths or unnecessarily prolonged hospital stays and recoveries even in the low risk groups.   Hence the need to not overload the system and force providers into basically what amounts to death panel decisions.

So youngsters., your sorry butts are in this too.   

4 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

Well yeah. Not everyone will actually do this without martial law tho. 

Who on here is in self quarantine that hasn't been in any at risk locations or around infected people?

not everyone will comply and quarantining everyone for 2 week will not eradicate the virus.  at this point, we need to slow it down so hospitals can effectively treat the patients that get it and slow this down.  we have to see what south korea did and mimic it.  if not, we will end up like italy.

14 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I have had someone who works as a nurse tell me this is being ridiculously overblown and the only people threatened by this are the elderly and those with other significant medical conditions.  Of course five minutes after being told this I had somebody else tell they have a friend who works at the Pentagon and they told her they were getting ready to quarantine the entire country for four to six weeks. 

I'm not sure it's possible to believe anything anyone tells anyone else no matter what the source is.  I think there are going to be far more people in this country who are going to confuse an opinion based on a best guess with an absolute scientific fact than there are going to be people who catch this.  There is a difference between based on what we know now this is our best guess to what will happen and we are sure this is what is going to happen.  The only time anyone is going to be sure about what is happening is after it has already happened.

Wow I see you are spreading your retardation out of the cloak room. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

They don’t have the manpower to do that.   Will most likely just be air travel and incentives for companies to keep folks at home.  

Requiring non essential businesses to close doesnt require man power really. They arent going to be forcing people to stay inside, but limiting their options for reasons to leave.

5 minutes ago, gmr548 said:
8 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:
Would you happen to have any suggestions to how people in jam packed NYC apartment buildings and public housing complexes across the country are going to be able to stay away from everyone else?

Are you under the impression viruses spread through walls?

Are you under the impression people aren't going to step out into their hallways to pick up their mail, do their laundry, etc.?

• Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, EMAWesome said:

These experts on infectious diseases, how many of them have jobs on the government level?  Of course if the government has shown nothing else the last three plus years it has shown that there is absolutely no one involved in the government who would ever leak false or misleading information in the hopes it damages Trump.  The government has shown it has lied about Vietnam, it has lied about Agent Orange, it has lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, it has lied about being able to keep your old health coverage and doctors if you wanted to, it has probably lied about contact with extraterrestrial life, it quite possibly lied about JFK's assassination, maybe about 9/11, certainly about Benghazi, etc. etc. etc. If you don't think they would lie about details to this if they thought that is what would suit them best then you are part of the problem not me.

This isn't the CR. post these takes over there

Mark Frilot took medicines to treat what he thought for several days was a case of the flu, but he just couldn’t turn the corner.

His fever was spiking nightly. At one point, his wife, Heaven, found him on the edge of their tub talking to himself, delirious.

When he went to East Jefferson General Hospital on Thursday, the staff diagnosed him with double pneumonia and the new coronavirus. Since then the Kenner lawyer has been sedated and attached to a breathing machine as doctors help him fight the potentially deadly respiratory disease that has caused a worldwide pandemic.

Heaven Frilot said Sunday she could hardly believe it. Her husband is 45, a construction litigator who is “never, ever sick.” But now, after seeing images of huge groups partying in New Orleans on Saturday despite the state’s request for people to practice “social distancing,” she is speaking up, hoping her family’s experience can serve as a warning for those who underestimate the risks of COVID-19.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_35531ff4-66d9-11ea-95b0-7797f71d169a.html

2 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Are you under the impression people aren't going to step out into their hallways to pick up their mail, do their laundry, etc.?

No one expects anyone to stay behind locked doors 24/7.  The point is to bring to a minimum all social interaction.   Using small, incidental social interactions that will inevitably occur as justification for “living your life” is pretty selfish, IMHO.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

These experts on infectious diseases, how many of them have jobs on the government level?  Of course if the government has shown nothing else the last three plus years it has shown that there is absolutely no one involved in the government who would ever leak false or misleading information in the hopes it damages Trump.  The government has shown it has lied about Vietnam, it has lied about Agent Orange, it has lied about weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, it has lied about being able to keep your old health coverage and doctors if you wanted to, it has probably lied about contact with extraterrestrial life, it quite possibly lied about JFK's assassination, maybe about 9/11, certainly about Benghazi, etc. etc. etc. If you don't think they would lie about details to this if they thought that is what would suit them best then you are part of the problem not me.

This shit belongs in the Cloak Room

Edited by Iconoclast Texan
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

21 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

I have had someone who works as a nurse tell me this is being ridiculously overblown and the only people threatened by this are the elderly and those with other significant medical conditions.  Of course five minutes after being told this I had somebody else tell they have a friend who works at the Pentagon and they told her they were getting ready to quarantine the entire country for four to six weeks. 

I'm not sure it's possible to believe anything anyone tells anyone else no matter what the source is.  I think there are going to be far more people in this country who are going to confuse an opinion based on a best guess with an absolute scientific fact than there are going to be people who catch this.  There is a difference between based on what we know now this is our best guess to what will happen and we are sure this is what is going to happen.  The only time anyone is going to be sure about what is happening is after it has already happened.

Image result for MAD HOUSE SEINFELD GIF

16 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

These two opinions are not necessarily in conflict with each other.

Under normal circumstances, the nurse would be mostly correct and there would be similar outcomes compared to a a bad flu season which would manifest itself in a linear fashion given vaccines, herd immunity, and ability to treat.  However, all that breaks down when the system is overloaded and the need to isolate and other stronger measures becomes necessary.  I see no reason to play in absolutes on this at all.  Critically think about what is going on and it is not to hard to make sense out of it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Errestaurants said:

Anyone with military connections hearing of nationwide shutdown plans being prepared? 

No, but I've gotten this exact text from people claiming to have connections.  Have enjoyed calling them on it

Edited by Don Johnson

22 minutes ago, po elvis said:

if you do not have the virus and you stay at home for 14 days with others who do not have the virus, there is zero % chance of you getting the virus in those 14 days thus there is zero % chance of you spreading the virus to others.

This meme that is going around nails it:spacer.png

Edited by Bateshorn

Do you often have close, prolonged physical contact with your neighbors when getting the mail or doing laundry? Be smart about hygiene before/after stepping out and don't touch stuff you don't have to, or your own face. Not rocket science.

Your best disingenuous troll argument is an elevator, btw. Which is still much less likely to cause spread of disease than just going about business in public.

Friend of mine is a doctor in Tehran. She's been posting requests on social media for any form of assistance -- masks, medication, what-have-you -- and the global response is interesting. Nobody has anything to give. She's not even asking for money -- there's no point. No one has inventory to sell her group.

The most interesting part to me is that she's emphasizing that she's not the only one:  Iranian doctors are pretty much giving up on their government being able to provide anything more. They are looking to their school friends from around the world for help, because it ain't comin' from home.

13 minutes ago, Homesickhorn said:

This^^^. There’s absolutely no simpler way to explain it. It’s also why I’ve quarantined myself from social media for the next few weeks as well because I find myself wanting people who are idiots to be the ones who become infected. Nobody fucking realizes what the term “precautionary measure” (albeit too late) means. But if I see another, “Houston Rodeo is a choice, we should be allowed to go or not go if we want. It shouldn’t be up to the mayor”, I’m gonna go fucking postal.

Username is beginning to check out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Requiring non essential businesses to close doesnt require man power really. They arent going to be forcing people to stay inside, but limiting their options for reasons to leave.

spacer.png

take the incentives away, or rather, shut down the locations where people crowd into small spaces, and you’re on your way to the magical 80% number.  

Austin traffic this morning was proof that we can start reducing interaction.  And I’m seeing it in our local park, and saw it at a Randall’s.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Larry T. Spider said:

I keep getting reports of olds saying it’s just the flu and carrying on as normal. I’m not cheering for Darwin but.....

yeah... i'm not cheering for darwin. talked to my dad again today, it's his 72nd birthday. 

he is more annoyed than anything. said something along the lines of 'i guess the whole world is gonna shut down for the flu, ridiculous!' he at least seems to realize it's not a hoax by the media/left. though i had to literally say 'dad... do you think LITERALLY THE ENTIRE WORLD is in on a hoax?? come ON!' 

he plays drums in the church band...small NE texas town, of course they had mass yesterday. he did say they told him not to come next week bc of his age (higher risk).

so then he tells me he was feeling bad yesterday, achy, nausea...but he sleep 10 hours and now feels fine! 

my favorite line: 'meanwhile, 4500 people died from falling out of the bed last year! good grief!'

he's on 50 acres by himself (well, him and his cows and 5 dogs lol) and he's got a freezer full of meat and fish. he's a country boy and can take care of himself, his only health issue is a-fib and he's got plenty of his meds. he did take notice when i told him NOT to take ibuprofen or aspirin if he feels like he has a fever. i mean, he doesn't even have a thermometer 😐 he is self-isolating at least.

anyway...i got emotional when i got off the phone. i think a lot of elderly folks may just feel like 'whatever happens is gonna happen'. that definitely seems to be his attitude. i guess i get it...i mean,  what are the options?

so today was the first day i really felt scared of losing my dad. just lost my mom a little over a year ago.

whatever, this isn't political, just felt like sharing.

• Like 7

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynorthwest.com/1769105/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-starts-seattle/amp/

First phase of coronavirus vaccine human testing just started in Seattle. Still a long way from mass production/release but it’s something. Much love to the brave idiot that volunteered to be the first person injected with it. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Mark Frilot took medicines to treat what he thought for several days was a case of the flu, but he just couldn’t turn the corner.

His fever was spiking nightly. At one point, his wife, Heaven, found him on the edge of their tub talking to himself, delirious.

When he went to East Jefferson General Hospital on Thursday, the staff diagnosed him with double pneumonia and the new coronavirus. Since then the Kenner lawyer has been sedated and attached to a breathing machine as doctors help him fight the potentially deadly respiratory disease that has caused a worldwide pandemic.

Heaven Frilot said Sunday she could hardly believe it. Her husband is 45, a construction litigator who is “never, ever sick.” But now, after seeing images of huge groups partying in New Orleans on Saturday despite the state’s request for people to practice “social distancing,” she is speaking up, hoping her family’s experience can serve as a warning for those who underestimate the risks of COVID-19.

https://www.nola.com/news/coronavirus/article_35531ff4-66d9-11ea-95b0-7797f71d169a.html

This guy is an interesting case.  So what does "never gets sick" even mean.  Yeah he may not have any of the tested co morbidity conditions, but from the pictures I have seen of him, he looks to be a typical middle aged guy with some jowls that could stand to lose about 30lbs at least.   Not saying we shouldn't be doing best practices, especially considering there are cases of youngsters worldwide that have had to have ICU,  but we could use a little more critical thinking and better information.

20 minutes ago, Pancho said:

It's not clear how or why you aren't understanding this. 

You could have been around infected people or "risk locations" because some people DON'T SHOW SYMPTOMS BUT CAN STILL BE INFECTED. 

Stop quarantine shaming me!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

If anyone stops and takes the time to think about it there is going to be a long list of essential businesses and jobs though.  Police, firefighters, medical personal, grocery store workers, big chain grocery/retail businesses (Wal-Mart, Target, etc.), truck drivers who make deliveries to grocery stores and Wal-Marts, workers at meat and other food plants who produce the stuff that is going to be in those trucks, truck mechanics to make sure those trucks stay operable and on the road, stations that sell diesel for those trucks, plumbers for people whose toilets, showers, and dishwashers stop working in all of this, anyplace that sells cell phones because the longer people are forced to stay indoors the more cell phones are going to be dropped into toilets and knocked off of kitchen countertops onto linoleum and hardwood floors by their kids that are bouncing off the walls by being kept confined for a month and in today's society a cell phone is as much of a necessity as a refrigerator is, IT people to make sure the internet is running for everyone, veterinarians to take care of everyone's pets because let's face it people treat their pets like they are their relatives today, farmers to grow the food everyone is going to be eating, mechanics who work on farm equipment to keep farmers growing the food everyone is going to be eating, grain elevator employees to help deliver that food, mechanics too make sure that all these other people with essential jobs can get their cars fixed when they break down so they can still commute to these jobs, parts suppliers for all of these mechanics I've mentioned, railroad workers, cargo plane pilots, dockworkers, insurance agents to deal with the break ins and robberies that some of these closed businesses will suffer.  There is a reason it is called a supply line or supply chain and not a supply dot.  

• Fuck You 1

Possible, but its more likely to head off general problems with dates and makeups.  My wife is a testing coordinator for a district and she said theres some testing coming up that if they miss then kids wouldnt have a second chance to pass at the end of the year or something like that.  I was half listening, we dont have kids in grade school anymore so I kind of glaze over on the details on stuff like that.  I know she had to go in to work today because they were supposed to receive all their STAAR test materials.  

That is a good point. But I can tell you the rumor among the ISD admins as of this AM is 8 weeks.

18 minutes ago, EMAWesome said:

Is there water on your brain?

You may want to check and see how you breathe without thinking about it

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

We have a partner with 3500+ Stryker hospital beds.  All gone this AM.  In terms of hospitals who is panicking?

image.gif.f0d7e809301eabf5131b98520cbcc0f3.gif

We have a very nice hospital for a small community. It’s full of doctors and surgeons that practiced in cities for decades and then “retired” to Wyoming and work part time.  We also have an older population made up of retirees (low tax burden and total COL) so there’s plenty of patients for certain procedures. 

what the hospital does not have is an icu. That level of care gets shipped to Billings, salt lake, or Denver ASAP.  And there aren’t that many ambulances/helicopters...

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynorthwest.com/1769105/coronavirus-vaccine-trial-starts-seattle/amp/

First phase of coronavirus vaccine human testing just started in Seattle. Still a long way from mass production/release but it’s something. Much love to the brave idiot that volunteered to be the first person injected with it. 

It's Seattle  people have been injecting junk into themselves since the start of the grunge scene.  It would be one of the easiest places in America to find volunteers.

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Austin traffic this morning was proof that we can start reducing interaction.  And I’m seeing it in our local park, and saw it at a Randall’s.  

well it's also spring break this week which always has a noticeable decrease in traffic.  i got into the office before dawn tho so i didn't see if it was a greater reduction than normal. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away