Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

34 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Any tips on getting my 72 year old father to stay in the motherfucking house? My mom has respiratory issues already but he keeps going out to meet with his old man coffee club every morning.

Some olds are just beyond comprehension. Sorry to tell you, but...

Image result for if he dies he dies

Edit: I'm making light of something very serious, so please take in that context. Best you can do is keep stressing to him the importance of what is going on and hope for the best.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Any tips on getting my 72 year old father to stay in the motherfucking house? My mom has respiratory issues already but he keeps going out to meet with his old man coffee club every morning.

I'm interested in the replies - only substitute 91 year old FIL, and he goes to 3 grocery story every other day. To buy what he needs, and to talk to everyone in the store. 
We get calls from friends who tell us, saw your dad today at Wal-Mart, Aldi, Meijer (think HEB). And when we ask what he did, he tells us he didn't go anywhere.

Don't say take his car keys, because he totaled a car about 2 years ago (1 car accident, thankfully) and he'd bought a new car within 5 days; and he was in the hospital for 3 of those days.

• Like 1

Something my mom just texted me. Not sure of the source:

"It is a known fact that when Shakespeare was quarantined because of the plague, he wrote King Lear.  And when Cambridge shut down in 1685 because of the bubonic plague, working from home Isaac Newton conceptualized his law of gravitation. From the angst and isolation some good shall come."

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BrickHorn said:

Holy shit.  Italy’s CFR is actually climbing.  Using a naive calculation (which undercounts as deaths lag positive diagnoses by a week or two), it’s at 7.7%. The daily naive CFR (new deaths divided by new cases) has been at 10%+ the past couple of days.  

Hopefully what’s happened is Italy just stopped counting cases not requiring hospitalization.  

Yep, in a true pandemic like this one we won't have accurate numbers until the major outbreak has been over for a year, if ever. Italy is past the point of caring about case count, I would imagine. They're at the "it's here, it's widespread, we can't control the spread anymore, we need to treat the patients" stage.

3 minutes ago, ztejas said:

"It is a known fact that when Shakespeare was quarantined because of the plague, he wrote King Lear.  And when Cambridge shut down in 1685 because of the bubonic plague, working from home Isaac Newton conceptualized his law of gravitation. From the angst and isolation some good shall come."

Your reply back to her should be:

giphy.gif

Our generation will have a shitload of memes and tiktok videos, plus some kids who get really really good at video games and moms and dads that get really good at day drinking.
  • Like 1

I'm interested in the replies - only substitute 91 year old FIL, and he goes to 3 grocery story every other day. To buy what he needs, and to talk to everyone in the store. 
We get calls from friends who tell us, saw your dad today at Wal-Mart, Aldi, Meijer (think HEB). And when we ask what he did, he tells us he didn't go anywhere.
Don't say take his car keys, because he totaled a car about 2 years ago (1 car accident, thankfully) and he'd bought a new car within 5 days; and he was in the hospital for 3 of those days.

I promise I’m not trying to make this political, but it would help if a conservative source of info would say “Stay the fuck home!” If anyone comes across something like that please PM me and I’ll send it to him. I can’t do the CR.
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wonder if either of them had young kids at home

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

13 minutes ago, ztejas said:

90245723_10159698214652942_7138953287742

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

I promise I’m not trying to make this political, but it would help if a conservative source of info would say “Stay the fuck home!” If anyone comes across something like that please PM me and I’ll send it to him. I can’t do the CR.

Unfortunately, the president doesn't agree with that strategy and has been downplaying CV-19 for literally months so there's quite a bit of mental momentum there. Not making any commentary on the politics of why he said and did what he did, but it has definitely contributed to the lackadaisical response from the olds in general.

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

PM sent.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

So my 72-yo MIL just asked what it means if one side of tongue is 99.4 and the other is 98.7.  I told her "cardiac arrest"

She must have a really big t... Oh, so that's who that is in your avatar.  Doesn't look 72.

54 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

This thread has kept me (and probably most of yall) WAY more informed on the situation than just about anyone else I know outside of Surly. 

qft

info here has consistently been hours, sometimes a full day, ahead if MSM.

44 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Antiques Roadshow marathon?

grandma4.png?w=616

I just had a convo with my father...  he's running around and doing whatever...  he has a shitload of comorbidities (recent quad bypass asthmatic with high blood pressure)

I have been a little under the weather since a ski trip to Breck...(scratchy throat and a mild headache)  can't get tested though so I'm social distancing and taking it easy.

He told me he was going to stop by and see the kiddos (maybe take them to a movie) and I told him point blank not to bother that I am not even going to open the front door.

My MIL is a sweat little old lady who has been battling lymphoma.  Unbeknowst to us she was planning a trip to Chicago and then to Taiwan.  She decided not to go, but some of her brothers and sisters and family went.  Tha fuq?!

I'm not going to tell others how to live but I reserve the right to mock them.

/csb

Let x be the number of folks in the US over 65...  If 20% of that population gets Covid-19 and 10% die (this is just for illustration relax!) 

x(.2)(.1) deaths

x~= 56,000,000

so ~1.1million  Dead Boomers

Edited by Loco
  • Like 2

Shelter in place order among six Bay Area counties expected to be announced at 1 PT. Would go through April 7. Looks like we can still walk outside provided we are six feet from other people. Thank god, about to lose my mind after one WFH week in our shoebox apartment in SF.

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Yeah - if someone wearing a red baseball cap, that said something about America on it, were to say stay at home my FIL would absolutely do it. Probably donate money too.  {eyeroll}

• Like 1

Our generation will have a shitload of memes and tiktok videos, plus some kids who get really really good at video games and moms and dads that get really good at day drinking.
My family is already pretty advanced at video games and day drinking. We're going to be fucking masters once this shit is over.
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not sure I take seriously the words of someone who uses the phrase known fact.  
if it was an unknown fact, she couldn’t share it. 

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Let x be the number of folks in the US over 65...  If 20% of that population gets Covid-19 and 10% die (this is just for illustration relax!) 

x(.2)(.1) deaths

x~= 56,000,000

so ~1.1million  Dead Boomers

"we are  all gonna die, just a matter of when"
Wally's FIL

2 minutes ago, We’reTexas said:

Shelter in place order among six Bay Area counties expected to be announced at 1 PT. Would go through April 7. Looks like we can still walk outside provided we are six feet from other people. Thank god, about to lose my mind after one WFH week in our shoebox apartment in SF.

What does this mean?

23 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Counter point: They had plenty of toilet paper

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Nope I have one that does not worry about the wife's health condition either.

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It means go home and stay there, numbnuts. 

well really it means stay where you are and don’t come out but that’s not really feasible for the amount of time we are talking about. 

“All non-essential gatherings of any size are now banned, along with non-essential travel “on foot, bicycle, scooter, automobile or public transit.” People may travel for shopping for necessary supplies, accessing health care, and providing aid to family and friends who need assistance, and for non-residents, returning to their home outside the Bay Area. Airports, taxis, and public transit — including BART — will remain operational, but only for essential travel and people are expected to keep six feet apart when possible.

People in the six counties will still be able to go shopping for items such as food and household supplies, and seek medical care. They will be able to go outside for walks or exercise as long as they keep six feet away from anyone they don’t already live with.“

Would be bizarre if the cable cars kept running.

SF Chronicle

11 minutes ago, F250 said:

Zoom dial in numbers are getting hammered today.

Yeah.   I got in on the dial ins, but tried and failed on 3 different ones for the video portion of the meetings.  Absolute shitstorm trying to make it work right now.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away