Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I was cracking up at that also.  the insanity of govt photo oppts.  both parties do it but this is certainly leads the Irony pack.

"if you don't have hi temp get on up here!!"  kind of like Mike Eruzione at the 1980 medal ceremony.

Just now, Storm the Field said:

Houston bout to the be the latest to announce bars closed indefinitely. Restuarants going take-out only. Turner/Hidalgo presser at 5.

Which means Dallas will be soon to follow. 

My coworker who has been embarrassingly flippant about the entire situation was going over what we were going to be working on in the office next week "assuming we aren't working from home"

There's not a fucking chance our building stays open past Wednesday. 

20 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I wonder what would have happened if the CDC/govt had said a month ago, national emergency,  no larger than 10 and shut down all restaurants, grocery stores, walmarts, costco's, etc.  I think it had to be slow rolled somewhat to get a handle on the supply chain for all kinds of stuff.  The panic buying would have been 100x if they went basically full lockdown right away and I think they knew it.

They probably knew it was already here and had spread beyond a few communities.   the system could not handle everyone running to costco/walmart/etc all at once.  I'm sure there was a mix of people in full panic/half panic/no panic which is not necessarily a bad thing.  and yes that did allow the virus to spread more. how much no one really will ever know.

probably need a better system to mobilize national guard/police/military to big retailers and grocery stores in each city, list of items that immediately go on limited quantities, and documenting what people bought.  95% of the population act accordingly when guys in uniform and guns show up.

hoping the mortality rate trends way down as testing/cases go up.

Fucking bullshit. It was fucking mishandled. This wasn't intentional. This wasn't a plan. There was no fucking plan. 

• Like 3

Someone up thread posted a tweet about how the greatest generation went to war whereas we all just have to stay at home.  Right now I’d almost rather go to war than spend 3+ weeks cooped up in the house with a cranky 3yo who wakes up at 6am...kidding of course but this is like watching 9/11 unfold in super slow mo and being unable to do anything about it as you watch the world change.  

It’ll be ok, this too shall pass, but beyond the newborn stage I have yet to find a more challenging age than 3 and with no opportunity to take them anywhere, my kids are wound up like a spring.  

6 minutes ago, Storm the Field said:

Houston bout to the be the latest to announce bars closed indefinitely. Restuarants going take-out only. Turner/Hidalgo presser at 5.

who knew short order cooks would be on the mission critical personnel list during martial law?

Someone up thread posted a tweet about how the greatest generation went to war whereas we all just have to stay at home.  Right now I’d almost rather go to war than spend 3+ weeks cooped up in the house with a cranky 3yo who wakes up at 6am...kidding of course but this is like watching 9/11 unfold in super slow mo and being unable to do anything about it as you watch the world change.  

It’ll be ok, this too shall pass, but beyond the newborn stage I have yet to find a more challenging age than 3 and with no opportunity to take them anywhere, my kids are wound up like a spring.  

Told my wife this a few days ago... couldn’t imagine not getting good sleep due to a fussy baby that won’t sleep all night and also thinking about this virus.

My kids both sleep 10+ hrs and are up after 9am usually after being terrible sleepers in their early stages /humblebrag

1 minute ago, Homercles said:

Take them out to the back yard and teach them the game of smear the queer. They get energy out and you get to blow off some steam. Win win.

• Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

14 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

fair enough.  how would you handle it?  China says something end of Dec.  We start seeing first real cases end of Jan.  Not a lot of data yet though.  whats the process?

For starters: not telling everyone it was the flu and no big deal for fucking months. There was a shit ton of data at that point that said it was exactly as serious as the Chinese were saying. I mean, fuck, they locked down 2 months ago. We had plenty of fucking time to act. The other obvious thing would have been to follow South Korea's lead and ramp up testing rather than trying to hide the true number of infected. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Thoughts and prayers.  Wife and I were just saying that we're glad the kids are teenagers.  First time we ever said that.

2 minutes ago, Homercles said:

I used to time my son in the backyard running from fence to fence for about 20 minutes.  tell them how great they are doing, show them the watch time, tell him he beat his last time.  sure he doesn't understand but the sound of your voice getting excited will push him on.

never made him do it but he would do it on his own until he was tired enough to quit. he'd veg on the couch for hours.

My kids are in 1st and 4th grade and have so far handled it all in good spirit. The 1st grader had her skating birthday party canceled and that sucked but she has bounced back. 

Currently my wife introduced them to The Sandlot for the 1st time which they're about to finish. They were skeptical since they don't care about baseball but they've enjoyed it. 

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Told my wife this a few days ago... couldn’t imagine not getting good sleep due to a fussy baby that won’t sleep all night and also thinking about this virus.

My kids both sleep 10+ hrs and are up after 9am usually after being terrible sleepers in their early stages /humblebrag

Yeah the 3yo goes into her 6yo brothers room about 6am, I know this as I snore when I drink and often crash on the couch to avoid waking my wife...and I downed a growler Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  Gonna take a few days off beer because being tired when it’s a full day refereeing the kids while trying to work from home is an extra beating.  

We have a clock that turns green at 715am and they come running downstairs full of piss and vinegar when that clock goes off.  They do this no matter what time they go to bed, so there’s no point in staying up later.  

Our daycare is open and we had planned on them being there this week, but the 3yp has a cough and low temp (99.5 or so) so they wouldn’t let her in anyways.  Called the Ped and they said only bother going in if it’s a full on fever...seems they’re swamped right now no surprise. 

Screen limits are out the window right now.  I’d rather be sane than trying to be a stickler for the rules.  

4 minutes ago, HOOKEM4 said:

Take them out to the back yard and teach them the game of smear the queer. They get energy out and you get to blow off some steam. Win win.

Yesterday’s weather sucked but we had them try to help clean leaves today but they were ‘too tired’.  Little bitches :)

26 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I wonder what would have happened if the CDC/govt had said a month ago, national emergency,  no larger than 10 and shut down all restaurants, grocery stores, walmarts, costco's, etc.  I think it had to be slow rolled somewhat to get a handle on the supply chain for all kinds of stuff.  The panic buying would have been 100x if they went basically full lockdown right away and I think they knew it.

They probably knew it was already here and had spread beyond a few communities.   the system could not handle everyone running to costco/walmart/etc all at once.  I'm sure there was a mix of people in full panic/half panic/no panic which is not necessarily a bad thing.  and yes that did allow the virus to spread more. how much no one really will ever know.

probably need a better system to mobilize national guard/police/military to big retailers and grocery stores in each city, list of items that immediately go on limited quantities, and documenting what people bought.  95% of the population act accordingly when guys in uniform and guns show up.

hoping the mortality rate trends way down as testing/cases go up.

It likely would’ve started riots.  One group would have said the govt is trying to fully takeover By force, the other would have said the other side was trying to prevent prudent measures.  We had xenophobic accusations for shutting down travel to China on Jan 31, including from WHO and UN folks.  We could have been more prudent, but the American people are generally a reactionary society.  We have to get hit in the face with a board like Tommy Boy to get the hint 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

I'm going to strongly disagree with you the premise that this was planned in any sort of way. To support my position, I present to you a series of direct quotes from the president on specifically CV-19.

ETHVfqdXkAE8Hhp?format=jpg&name=medium

Wherever we as a nation land in our response to this is in spite of the lack of response by the federal government, not because of some strategic, 4D chess bullshit. I know this talk is dangerously close to "CR talk" because it's evaluating current events by the direct quotes of our ultimate national leader, but for fucks sake. There was zero intention to delaying getting the public to start practicing social distancing and other best practices. 

This has been, up until last weekend, been constantly downplayed and has led to a major portion of the public believing that there's nothing to worry about, which is in turn undermining the efforts to preserve public health. See: all the talk of olds and idiots going out "because it's just a flu".

Yeah, this. Fuck any suggestion otherwise. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Gonna be awesome when it rains for 6 straight days later this week.   God help us all 

25 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don’t know what a Bob Evans is, but I bet it’s awful

Probably a huge political donor to Jim Justice!

22 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

It hasn't in Italy. The opposite. I think that's because they're out of beds. Life and death choices spiking the mortality rate. 

Point taken. But as the number of tests increase -- at least in the States -- the number will decrease from 2-3% and likely settle below 1%. That still means potentially hundreds of thousands -- perhaps more -- dead due to COVID-19.

What does everyone think about small gatherings? Some friends invited us to dinner tonight... Combined, the 2 families would have fewer than 10, and they assure us they've all been indoors since Friday. Other friends invited my son over. I haven't seen any guidance about really small gatherings.

14 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Wasn't a tweet.  It was something I wrote.  I'm not a tweeter (or a tweaker).

1 minute ago, Mikey4 said:

What does everyone think about small gatherings? Some friends invited us to dinner tonight... Combined, the 2 families would have fewer than 10, and they assure us they've all been indoors since Friday. Other friends invited my son over. I haven't seen any guidance about really small gatherings.

Probably safe but why take the chance. the guidance is to stay away from people, where possible. Going to someone's house seems to go against that advice.

I understand everyone is bored but get over it.

So here in Port A things are starting to get weird because we still have a whole segment of people saying “I’m here damnit and I’m going to enjoy my spring break” and then we mix that with a bunch of uneducated locals “why the hell would the bar close?”. This town is crawling with people in the shops, bars, and restaurants. It’s not quite as busy as a normal spring break but it’s close.

‘About a week ago I stocked up on food but today made one final trip to Dollar General, CVS, and IGA (our local grocery store). Like everyone else we are out of toilet paper and hand sanitizer. Plenty of fruits and vegetables left but the meat section is getting low and they are limiting people to only one package of ground meat and one of chicken. Cashier told me we have people driving down from San Antonio to stock up. These are NOT spring breakers they are just people driving down to shop because they can’t get what they need at home. One lady went in FOUR times yesterday and spent over 2 grand. So today they have a sign up saying they reserve the right to limit quantities of any 1 item but yesterday they were just letting it go.

WTF people. Go home.

Maybe the tweet was different but here's what I wrote on the Coronavirus Travel Thread.

We like to brag about the "greatest generation" and shit on other generations.  Here is our chance to do what they did.  Make a personal sacrifice for the greater good.  Do the right thing.  Maybe save the life of someone you'll never meet.

What happens instead?  People bitch about inconveniences.  About damage to the economy.  Well, guess what?  The sun will continue to rise and you will survive.  I say this as the owner of a small business which could suffer great damage because of the sacrifices I have been and may continue to be asked to make.  I don't know what the future holds for my business.  I'm staring at federal contracts being suspended and delayed.  I've already made the decision to suspend business travel for projects in the future.  I'm not sure about local commerical projects.  Our company is a blue collar company and I rely on boots on the ground.  I have some tough decisions to make.  That said, if I have to make a decision that could impact a life I will err on the side of life always.

Sorry for the rant.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

its successive lowering to try to get people to limit contact.  less than 10.  live it love it learn.  it will be 5 next week.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

Can we NOT do this here? Fuck! Go bitch about the government in one of the many other threads designed for it.

This is the coronavirus thread. The government's response to the viral outbreak is pretty fucking central to the discussion of it as a topic, my dude. I can appreciate and respect keeping parties, name calling, and personal attacks out of the thread, but you cannot remove the actions of the government from any sort of informed and knowledgable discussion on coronavirus in the US.

Otherwise, this thread is just people asking where there's toilet paper and posting their quarantine cocktails. Which is nice don't get me wrong, but it's actively ignoring the most significant factor to how many people die or not when you ignore the actions of the federal government in this.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Probably safe but why take the chance. the guidance is to stay away from people, where possible. Going to someone's house seems to go against that advice.

I understand everyone is bored but get over it.

I'm ready for face time dinner parties. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Captainant said:

I'm going to strongly disagree with you the premise that this was planned in any sort of way. To support my position, I present to you a series of direct quotes from the president on specifically CV-19.

Hide contents

ETHVfqdXkAE8Hhp?format=jpg&name=medium

Wherever we as a nation land in our response to this is in spite of the lack of response by the federal government, not because of some strategic, 4D chess bullshit. I know this talk is dangerously close to "CR talk" because it's evaluating current events by the direct quotes of our ultimate national leader, but for fucks sake. There was zero intention to delaying getting the public to start practicing social distancing and other best practices. 

This has been, up until last weekend, been constantly downplayed and has led to a major portion of the public believing that there's nothing to worry about, which is in turn undermining the efforts to preserve public health. See: all the talk of olds and idiots going out "because it's just a flu".

He hit for the fucking idiot cycle on March 6th, didn't he?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Loco said:

@RayDog

How are you holding up?

I am doing fine except I lost my patience with a couple folks who are still convinced this is a hoax or just a flu. There are lots of Darwin award candidates. I don't  have any symptoms yet. Angeles city has stopped letting people in, and they are contact tracing and testing, so they are trying to do the right things to slow the spread. There are 142 cases in the Philippines so they are still 10 days behind the US. People in Manila are not taking it seriously, so I am sure it is spreading rapidly there. I am not sure how bad it is in Angeles. 

I am having to turn down lots of women needing money, as I can't afford to help them all. I have stopped having sex with random women I see on the street and even waved off my regulars to reduce my exposure. The bars are shut down and they stopped letting restaurants serve alcohol as all the drunks started going to restaurants instead. It is going to be boring for a while. 

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

It likely would’ve started riots.  One group would have said the govt is trying to fully takeover By force, the other would have said the other side was trying to prevent prudent measures.  We had xenophobic accusations for shutting down travel to China on Jan 31, including from WHO and UN folks.  We could have been more prudent, but the American people are generally a reactionary society.  We have to get hit in the face with a board like Tommy Boy to get the hint 

agreed.  I think it would have to be slow rolled.  

Wouldn’t go

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away