Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

We are staying away from other people. My spouse still has to go to work. He will most likely be the carrier and thus we would be spreading it among our circle social before we knew it. Due to my former cancer I don't have the best immune system and prior lung infections mean I probably don't need to go out anyway. If we can all suffer along and cope with each other as a nation for a little over two weeks then we will be in a better place than if we did not.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wife taught for many years and is still in education.  She said a lot of people are ignorant of the fact that this could screw up a lot of kids in Title I schools, that it could put them behind the curve for starting next year, which will have serious repercussions going forward   

And here I’m bitching that my kids may get bored, even though she has academic plans for them for three weeks, while those parents are struggling.with figuring out how to take care of them.   

Absolutely. If all the kids with college educated parents go home and continue their education as normal and the others struggle to find internet access and don’t have parents at home, the gap will continue to widen. Those are the kids most at risk of sliding backwards over a normal summer. I can’t imagine what it would be like if it was a 5 month break. My guess is that we will putting together some jump start camps and the like for August.

I'd be the same. Mine are both young and at home, so I don't have to make that call. If they weren't, I'd probably see them regardless of risk.

And they’d be yelling at you to stay the fuck home like many are doing with our elderly parents.

Y’all think toddlers are bad - try having a daughter who’s a senior staring down the barrel of no prom, no Senior Night, no Senior Week, no baccalaureate, and possibly no graduation.

I told her she may not have to worry about any of it because I’m about to lock her in the backyard if she doesn’t stop crying. Ain’t shit we can do about it.
  • Like 4

I believe we need mandatory lockdowns. I do wonder what the consequences will be though. Large scale looting? Home invasions? I really don't know. Maybe nothing more than usual. The government will need to give every household money that can go towards paying bills. There are many people that can not afford not to work. What do we give? Each household $2000 for a month? Taxes will have to be raised at some point to pay for all of this. We will just have to deal with it.

Taking Lyft home (unfortunately) since I dont have a car. Driver says he's had 6 rides since 4 this morning. Typically would have 12 to 15 in that time span.

Anyone that relies on lyft/uber part time is about to kiss a lot of money goodbye. I'm trying to tip as much as I can.

The lack of traffic is a little spooky. 5:19 on a Monday and it's like a holiday.

Just now, Js1 said:

The best my office came up with was a rotating MWF/TuTh schedule. Keeps office half staffed every day indefinitely while the other half works at home 

That's what my law firm has done, for this week anyway, though Friday is total closure and everyone work from home. 

12 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Assuming it's been effective, how soon before we'd see results from Italy's lockdown?  

Deaths appear to have peaked on Sunday. I believe it went from 369 to 348, doing it from memory not doublechecking. So I can't say exactly the number of days since lockdown, there were two "lockdowns", the second one being the full deal, and the lockdown was different and earlier in Lombardy, where most of the deaths and stress on hospital resources have occurred.

Edited by Thetexashammer
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

I made a mistake 2 days ago.  My 11 yr old daughter begged to spend the night at her friend's house.  Stupid ass mom of the friend took them to the mall and out to eat.  I thought this lady was smart too.  Keep in mind where I live school was already released and at that point we had 3 cases in our county. No more sleep overs. 

Hotness of friend's mom is necessary data.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Assuming it's been effective, how soon before we'd see results from Italy's lockdown?  

I see these videos of Italians in these big multi-unit buildings and wonder how much spread is going on in them, even though they are "locked down"?

I feel better in a house, with my fenced yard keeping the neighbors at bay.

4 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

I made a mistake 2 days ago.  My 11 yr old daughter begged to spend the night at her friend's house.  Stupid ass mom of the friend took them to the mall and out to eat.  I thought this lady was smart too.  Keep in mind where I live school was already released and at that point we had 3 cases in our county. No more sleep overs. 

Son asked if a friend could come over later and hang out and then spend the night.  The kid in questions just got back from the Cayman Islands.  It was  a hard no, and when I explained it to him he fully understood.

Edited by Moby Ric

54 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

What does everyone think about small gatherings? Some friends invited us to dinner tonight... Combined, the 2 families would have fewer than 10, and they assure us they've all been indoors since Friday. Other friends invited my son over. I haven't seen any guidance about really small gatherings.

We're getting ready for a small gathering next week some time. Us on the screened-in-porch, and the other family at a table outside of it, 10 feet away. We'll provide them their own hand sanitizer, etc., and they bring their own meal. We'll be "together" but never actually come in contact.

49 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I am doing fine except I lost my patience with a couple folks who are still convinced this is a hoax or just a flu. There are lots of Darwin award candidates. I don't  have any symptoms yet. Angeles city has stopped letting people in, and they are contact tracing and testing, so they are trying to do the right things to slow the spread. There are 142 cases in the Philippines so they are still 10 days behind the US. People in Manila are not taking it seriously, so I am sure it is spreading rapidly there. I am not sure how bad it is in Angeles. 

I am having to turn down lots of women needing money, as I can't afford to help them all. I have stopped having sex with random women I see on the street and even waved off my regulars to reduce my exposure. The bars are shut down and they stopped letting restaurants serve alcohol as all the drunks started going to restaurants instead. It is going to be boring for a while. 

The struggle is real.

(Surly is the gift that keeps on giving.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

We're getting ready for a small gathering next week some time. Us on the screened-in-porch, and the other family at a table outside of it, 10 feet away. We'll provide them their own hand sanitizer, etc., and they bring their own meal. We'll be "together" but never actually come in contact.

Reaction GIF by moodman

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Worst key party ever.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, deadshank said:

Lena Hidlago, Harris County judge, just orders all Harris County restaurants closed for "dine in" service. Take out and delivery only.  Bars and clubs closed. 

Rut roh. 

the run on liquor stores and beer and win aisles is going to be a sight to behold.

Bunch of questions: After my dad listened to grand rounds at UT and Baylor, he cancelled flounder gigging and redfishing with the kids.

A couple of questions: If we wanted to go offshore fishing from Austin what are our best options (FYI I don't know what is in season). Preferably, we would take a private charter boat (recommend somewhere) (no group fishing, just our family), offshore (probably not trolling), snapper, ling, dorado...

Second question: My mom was saying UT Houston Medical Branch is huge now and Baylor is much smaller than it use to be. Is this right? When did that happen? She seems to think right now UT Houston is Texas' premier medical campus. I can't imagine it competing with Southwestern and I would think that eventually Austin would become its main branch since it is close to the undergrad institution. How is UT Galveston doing?

5 minutes ago, Landomatic said:

Dallas Just announced closing bars, gyms, theaters.  Restaurants to-go only.  Events >50  Same as NY...

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcdfw.com/news/coronavirus/dallas-county-update-on-community-gathering-restrictions-expected-monday/2331562/%3famp

We are a few steps away from martial law. 

12 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

So,no fucking?

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Someone up thread posted a tweet about how the greatest generation went to war whereas we all just have to stay at home.  Right now I’d almost rather go to war than spend 3+ weeks cooped up in the house with a cranky 3yo who wakes up at 6am...kidding of course but this is like watching 9/11 unfold in super slow mo and being unable to do anything about it as you watch the world change.  

It’ll be ok, this too shall pass, but beyond the newborn stage I have yet to find a more challenging age than 3 and with no opportunity to take them anywhere, my kids are wound up like a spring.  

Well lucky me, I have a 3 yo (who has the flu) and a 3 week old.

It fucking sucks and it’s only been 4 days.

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

What the fuck have people been doing for the last 2-3 weeks then

fuck em i guess

Ummmm grocery stores are not prepared to handle a mad rush for groceries with every person getting more than they need. They are designed for light shopping for a week at a time. I literally have not seen bread stocked up in any store I go to for over a week now. If you are not there right when they stock it, you are shit out of luck. And many people can't afford to shop for food for weeks to months at a time. I get I am on Surly and everyone here makes 8 figures a month but most do not live that way.

And who is to say how long this lasts. You might have shopped for 2-3 weeks and it ends up being 8. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Bunch of questions: After my dad listened to grand rounds at UT and Baylor, he cancelled flounder gigging and redfishing with the kids.

A couple of questions: If we wanted to go offshore fishing from Austin what are our best options (FYI I don't know what is in season). Preferably, we would take a private charter boat (recommend somewhere) (no group fishing, just our family), offshore (probably not trolling), snapper, ling, dorado..

Snapper is closed in federal waters. You could do a state water snapper trip but the boat has to stay within 9 nm for the duration of the trip. We are still probably a month or so away from being able to target dorado and ling - water temp needs to come up more.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:

Ummmm grocery stores are not prepared to handle a mad rush for groceries with every person getting more than they need. They are designed for light shopping for a week at a time. I literally have not seen bread stocked up in any store I go to for over a week now. If you are not there right when they stock it, you are shit out of luck. And many people can't afford to shop for food for weeks to months at a time. I get I am on Surly and everyone here makes 8 figures a month but most do not live that way.

And who is to say how long this lasts. You might have shopped for 2-3 weeks and it ends up being 8. 

I’ll go back out in 3-5 weeks and shop again. Pretty sure the shelves will be full again. 

1 hour ago, Homercles said:

Someone up thread posted a tweet about how the greatest generation went to war whereas we all just have to stay at home.  Right now I’d almost rather go to war than spend 3+ weeks cooped up in the house with a cranky 3yo who wakes up at 6am...kidding of course but this is like watching 9/11 unfold in super slow mo and being unable to do anything about it as you watch the world change.  

It’ll be ok, this too shall pass, but beyond the newborn stage I have yet to find a more challenging age than 3 and with no opportunity to take them anywhere, my kids are wound up like a spring.  

Three is the worst, man. The worst. Terrible twos is such an awful phrase because it tricks parents into thinking the coast is clear once the kid turns three.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away