Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

We need a kids-free corona thread so we don’t have to hear about your kids crying about not being able to go to Disney world or your kids school district being delayed another week. 

ok kidding, just been getting texts from my bro and sis who have kids and I’m like why do you keep informing me of every fucking delay?? haha. Enjoy your time with your chitlans, and stay safe! 

I work in juvenile probation as a Probation Officer and as of now no f2f contacts with any juvenile, work from home supposedly coming soon, besides supervision officers who actually work hands on with the juvies. One in Gardner Betts showing symptoms of the virus, not sure what would happen if all the juvies got it + staff. 

Edited by hundredTT

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Where should we go (next month) for dorado and ling? Are you a guide? Just need to find ways to keep my 2 boys (high school and college) entertained while school is messed up without encountering a bunch of people.

Not a guide. You mentioned that y’all had cancelled redfishing but that’s still my suggestion. April is so iffy weather wise (too windy) down here in Port A it’s hard to plan a trip in advance for offshore. If you do want to go offshore https://billbustersfishing.com is about all we’ve got left for private charters. Most of us that are serious about fishing have moved our boats down to Costa Rica. Bill busters has about a half dozen boats that will do anything from half day state water trips to full 12 hour trips. They are an ok option I guess. Long drive but Venice, LA would be somewhere i’d seriously consider if you have the time.

I have 3 teenagers in the house.  It is just a matter of time we go full on hunger games.  I think the boy will be taken out by his sisters first.

Do any of them have boyfriends/girlfriends? We almost had a full on nuclear war when I banned the 15 year old from seeing her boyfriend because he runs around with his friends and his parents don’t care.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Are we? What evidence for that is there?

I’ll agree that’s a subjective opinion. But I’m seeing a quick turn in the tide. Simple fact is the two countries aren’t comparable. And the numbers aren’t going to be comparable either. 

Do any of them have boyfriends/girlfriends? We almost had a full on nuclear war when I banned the 15 year old from seeing her boyfriend because he runs around with his friends and his parents don’t care.
Seems you'll soon have a good chance to shoot him dead.

4 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I agree but you really need to calm the fuck down.

drink some whiskey and come back to surly tomorrow.

I though that user was a troll? Every post I’ve read since joining is this dude trying to stir the pot. Or maybe he genuinely complains like a woman...

Edited by hundredTT
  • Like 2

Keeping up with this thread is almost a full time job.

There is way more hysteria on display here than I would have guessed.  Also it would be awesome if people just picked one or the other DT or CR thread on this topic and stick to just the one.

I'm 46 and fat.  I'm not worried about this virus at all personally, and I don't have a spleen.  I don't get sick much and if a virus is going to take me out, so be it.  My diet is red meat and alcohol and I've had a good run.  I am a little bit concerned for my FIL, he is late 70s, and my mom who is 71.  Still, as long as they take the precautions they should, I don't think its likely they get infected and then even if they do, they are way more likely to recover than die according to the best data I can find.  https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ I'm in IT so its pretty easy to do my job from anywhere that has internet.  My company finally issued a WFH until further notice decree this morning.

I'm way more concerned with the recession we seem to be headed for and with entire sectors of the economy being utterly destroyed.  Our middle son does contract AV work for conferences and sporting events....he literally has nothing scheduled for the first time ever.  Airlines are selling off or retiring part of their fleets.  Hotels are empty and/or closed.  We eat at the same place every Sunday night, the bartender we are friendly with said he covered a shift for someone the day before and had just two tables in two hours before being sent home.  The place was like 20% of normal capacity, parking lot empty when you usually have to park in the back.  What are all these hourly/tip wage work force people supposed to do?

Finally, for the people pushing for federal or state 'lockdowns'...that would be a fucking disaster.  There would be an immediate run on literally everything.  My wife went out to the nearest Walmart and HEB this afternoon and she said pretty much everything was picked over.  Surprising me, beer and wine was fully stocked but that was about the only items in our normal rotation she was able to purchase.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

She sounds like a Sackville Baggins.

I gave my mom the lecture about staying away from him for the time being. Sister, too. Make sure she lives long enough to see him grow up some more. No hint from her he was there until I see a pic of him at her house on Facebook. So pissed off.

2 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

I’ll agree that’s a subjective opinion. But I’m seeing a quick turn in the tide. Simple fact is the two countries aren’t comparable. And the numbers aren’t going to be comparable either. 

Then say it is a opinion upfront or stop lambasting everyone for providing actual data based on facts. You're making shit up. You've been doing it from the beginning. Your bullshit down playing everything will get people killed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

ok, so, having 5.5 times the people italy has, we're about around where italy was between days 5 and 6. that has to really make our rise more flatter than italys 

That’s not how this works.gif

exponential spread out of clusters don’t give a shit about your total population

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Then say it is a opinion upfront or stop lambasting everyone for providing actual data based on facts. You're making shit up. You've been doing it from the beginning. Your bullshit down playing everything will get people killed.

It’s not a provable thing. You should be able to get there on your own. You’ve read about all the drive by testing here now right?  Not one story of that in Italy. 

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

Not a guide. You mentioned that y’all had cancelled redfishing but that’s still my suggestion. April is so iffy weather wise (too windy) down here in Port A it’s hard to plan a trip in advance for offshore. If you do want to go offshore https://billbustersfishing.com is about all we’ve got left for private charters. Most of us that are serious about fishing have moved our boats down to Costa Rica. Bill busters has about a half dozen boats that will do anything from half day state water trips to full 12 hour trips. They are an ok option I guess. Long drive but Venice, LA would be somewhere i’d seriously consider if you have the time.

We use to fish 5mi or so offshore from the Sabine River. There was great fishing by the rigs. But I don't have a boat and that is a long way from Austin. Maybe you are right and we will hit Seadrift but I miss the days of going out to clearer water. As for your comment about Costa Rica, I can definitely see that in that we caught sails one after another when we went. The action was great and on a whole different level from what Texas can offer.

4 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

It’s not a provable thing. You should be able to get there on your own. You’ve read about all the drive by testing here now right?  Not one story of that in Italy. 

Of course it is provable, if it were true. For instance, I can provide ample evidence that South Korea has tested more people than the US at any point in time up to the present. I'm not aware of any data whatsoever to suggest that Italy was testing a lower rate than the United States. Frankly, I think that may be impossible since we've basically not been testing up until this weekend. 

5 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

I really miss the relatively calm way that brisket predicted an insane million deaths. 

He was fucking right. We were doing nothing. Doing nothing = million+ deaths. The CDC has said the exact same thing, and you even fucking cited to their research earlier. Seriously, what is wrong with you?

Edited by Dahobbs

Donovan Mitchell is an eye opener. He was only tested because his entire team was. He has no symptoms. Actually said he could play a 7 game series staring tomorrow if scheduled. 

How many Mitchell’s are out there that have absolutely no reason to get tested?  On one hand it’s scary because they will spread it. On the other, you know the death rate is much much lower than reported. 

ok, so, having 5.5 times the people italy has, we're about around where italy was between days 5 and 6. that has to really make our rise more flatter than italys 

Uh, also note that our testing was a lot shittier than Italy's. The federal government wanted to keep the numbers down and has said as much. The fact that we're on thr same trend line when not working as hard to find cases isn't good.
That’s not how this works.gif
exponential spread out of clusters don’t give a shit about your total population
Also, this.

I’m actually picturing GreenspointTexas locked in his closet with his laptop. His refrigerator, freezer, and microwave are just outside, where is bedroom furniture used to be. The mail is stacking up inside the front door and his friends and relatives have blocked his phone number and Facebook account.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Here in Pennsylvania everything has been ordered to close through the end of March. 

In way shittier news - and apologies if there is a thread on this but today has been hell on earth - I had a meeting last Thursday with a person who today tested positive. It was in the capitol. 

I thought Charlie Strong would be the most poisonous thing I ever came in contact with but here we are. 

1 minute ago, gmr548 said:

Uh, also note that our testing was a lot shittier than Italy's. The federal government wanted to keep the numbers down and has said as much. The fact that we're on thr same trend line when not working as hard to find cases isn't good.
Also, this.

Deaths are the only measurement that will matter. We will never have a clue how many actually have/had it. 

• Like 1

Plus, it temporarily crippled China’s economy and is starting to affect their economic ties with their largest customers.   That’s not a good way to wage war.   It opened the door for their largest customers to either bring some business back, or move it out of China.  
Which wouldn't be a bad thing.

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Trump's remarks will come as a surprise to him.

Newt Gingrich is in Italy, and thinking we should act as well

https://www.newsweek.com/newt-gingrich-i-am-italy-amid-coronavirus-crisis-america-must-act-now-act-big-opinion-1492270

Thesd people pulling the “it’s just the flu” will be changing their tune soon enough.   

3 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Also, this.

Even with shut downs a complete shut down of social life happening everywhere starting with the NBA on the 12th at 1600 cases...now close to everything is closed or shut down on 3/16 at 4600 cases. Italy had 7375 on 3/8..the day they went into shutdown mode. 

we're also much, much more spread out than italy is. I have no idea if we'll see a ratio as bad as italys at 7.7% mortality. but if we're using italys day by day stuff considering our land mass/population size, we're not even in italys atmosphere....so far.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away