Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

I was told tonight that one of the local businesses has an employee that tested positive for Covid-19 and they have three others showing symptoms. A quick look at their Facebook page showed photos from their booth at ConEx in Vegas. Not sure if it was one of the employees who went to ConEx that caught it or not, but it’s awful coincidental.

Huh? Neither of your posts on the comparison to Italy make any sense whatsoever. If our population is higher but more spread out (both true), how does that make tracking the same exponential growth in confirmed cases better?

I’m just trying to find some sort of light for America’s case. Considering we have almost 260,000,000 people than Italy and still have the same amount of cases “x” days into the event, hopefully it won’t explode into America’s own chart. There’s no doubt we’ll see Italy’s numbers somewhere down the road..I’m hoping to not see those numbers times 5.5 because of our population disparity

9 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yeah, there's some good stuff.

But goddamn, this is going to be hard on people.  And we're dealing with the day-by-day fluctuations in my daughter's situation at college in Canada -- stay?  Come home (if so, how)?  How to pack up her dorm room and store her stuff till next year, if that's necessary?  I know it's a lot of stress on her, and it's all damned well a stress on me.

I've wanted to break down quite a few times, but I really can't yet.  Gotta keep things going, and then may have to get things settled.  And I know so many others are having these problems in worse.  My heart breaks for humanity.  I'm sad for my daughter.  I'm sad for everyone who is going to take a financial hit because of this.  It's just so much.  Fuck.  I'll break at some point.  It's just a question of when and how.

@Brisketexan I'm in Canada (kinda the middle part,  but I know people everywhere). Anything I can do? I don't think it would be trouble to find someone to help get her stuff stored if needed. 

2 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m just trying to find some sort of light for America’s case. Considering we have almost 260,000,000 people than Italy and still have the same amount of cases “x” days into the event, hopefully it won’t explode into America’s own chart. There’s no doubt we’ll see Italy’s numbers somewhere down the road..I’m hoping to not see those numbers times 5.5 because of our population disparity

So when they said there would be no math, you believed them?

So my company (tens of thousands of employees worldwide) has been dragging its feet on any official work policy, so I went into the office today. I found out in the afternoon that someone on my floor went on a cruise LAST WEEK and came into the office today.

I have an immunocompromised pregnant wife at home. I am fucking livid at my company for not having any official policy that keeps obvious potential high-risk employees out of the office. Am I being unreasonable?

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

So my company (tens of thousands of employees worldwide) has been dragging its feet on any official work policy, so I went into the office today. I found out in the afternoon that someone on my floor went on a cruise LAST WEEK and came into the office today.

I have an immunocompromised pregnant wife at home. I am fucking livid at my company for not having any official policy that keeps obvious potential high-risk employees out of the office. Am I being unreasonable?

Not at all.

How's your HR department? If you think you can be honest with them, you need to express your concerns to them.

Edited by utee94

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Nope, that’s totally fucked and irresponsible.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Fuck that. Raise hell. 

3 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Absolutely not.

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

unless it was a 3 hour tour I'd definitely say something.

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Plus the people that died of flu or trauma because there weren’t any beds or doctors to administer care due to covid patients everywhere.  Those won’t get counted as covid deaths. 

Are we at the point now where we can state this matter of fact-ish with certainty? 

The first US illnesses tracked were in Seattle in January, right? They’ve had 2 months, with 1 of those months basically going unchecked. Where are the videos of the dead people in hospital halls? Where are the photos and social media posts of the Doctor Death Squads walking through the hospital and picking out who gets to live and die? 

“We’re two weeks behind Italy though!” Are we? Seattle isn’t. We don’t know shit about this thing other than age mattering. The downside of the worst case scenario, medically, is what everyone is working to cut off. That’s fine, but chaos means that drawing conclusions early and without understanding the variables at play will lead to erroneous conclusions and forecasts on the matter. 

We don’t smoke as much, we’re not as polluted, we don’t live on top of each other in ancient infrastructure with kids, parents, grandparents, and great grandparents all stacked in the same apartment, but that generational stacking is rampant throughout much of the rest of the world and certainly in Italy. We’re also simply not as old and it isn’t close.

I’m not poo-pooing anything, but I would still like to see the facts bear themselves out before we fucking kill ourselves in order to avoid having the bug do that for all of us. 

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

No, but they're heading into it, which is what I said. Data is on a lag because of the timeline of the disease. They've got sick healthcare workers and hospitals getting to capacity. They're openly talking about how to handle it. The deaths will come as the disease runs its course, unfortunately.

Great. Link this. It’s entirely germane to this thread and there is scant anything coming from Seattle on this thread. I assume you’re not referencing anonymous sources or friends of friends, but basing this information on official shit they’ve released or talked about, and/or established journalist-created articles or videos. 

• Like 5

I'm way more concerned with the recession we seem to be headed for and with entire sectors of the economy being utterly destroyed.  Our middle son does contract AV work for conferences and sporting events....he literally has nothing scheduled for the first time ever.  Airlines are selling off or retiring part of their fleets.  Hotels are empty and/or closed.  We eat at the same place every Sunday night, the bartender we are friendly with said he covered a shift for someone the day before and had just two tables in two hours before being sent home.  The place was like 20% of normal capacity, parking lot empty when you usually have to park in the back.  What are all these hourly/tip wage work force people supposed to do?

There are no good solutions here. No matter what we do, there will be tragic loss here. Financial loss, even mass tragic loss, can be fixed. Mass, tragic loss of life cannot be, and will most likely be accompanied by financial loss, anyway. Given the choice between the two, I'd choose the financial price.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

I mean at this point is someone from a random cruise any more likely to have it if they aren't symptomatic compared to anyone else?  It's everywhere dude.  I don't think there is really such thing as a "high risk" person other than confirmed contact with someone that tested positive.

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Are we at the point now where we can state this matter of fact-ish with certainty? 

The first US illnesses tracked were in Seattle in January, right? They’ve had 2 months, with 1 of those months basically going unchecked. Where are the videos of the dead people in hospital halls? Where are the photos and social media posts of the Doctor Death Squads walking through the hospital and picking out who gets to live and die? 

“We’re two weeks behind Italy though!” Are we? Seattle isn’t. We don’t know shit about this thing other than age mattering. The downside of the worst case scenario, medically, is what everyone is working to cut off. That’s fine, but chaos means that drawing conclusions early and without understanding the variables at play will lead to erroneous conclusions and forecasts on the matter. 

We don’t smoke as much, we’re not as polluted, we don’t live on top of each other in ancient infrastructure with kids, parents, grandparents, and great grandparents all stacked in the same apartment, but that generational stacking is rampant throughout much of the rest of the world and certainly in Italy. We’re also simply not as old and it isn’t close.

I’m not poo-pooing anything, but I would still like to see the facts bear themselves out before we fucking kill ourselves in order to avoid having the bug do that for all of us. 

Great. Link this. It’s entirely germane to this thread and there is scant anything coming from Seattle on this thread. I assume you’re not referencing anonymous sources or friends of friends, but basing this information on official shit they’ve released or talked about, and/or established journalist-created articles or videos. 

Should have written “people who will have died because...” to show that it may happen in the future. Mea culpa. 

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Should have written “people who will have died because...” to show that it may happen in the future. Mea culpa. 

I probably should have said I was using your post as illustrative but reacting more to that becoming an overall theme on the thread. No sweat. 

Spoke with my mom about a half hour ago. She'd gotten off the phone with my sister who's a PA up in the Denver area with a pediatric practice. According to her, my sister has ordered 8 tests so far and 7 have come back positive.

Last time I spoke with my mom was Friday, and I thought I'd talked her into isolating herself (78 yo) and my dad (82 yo), but no. They went to fucking church yesterday and have plans to go out for a dinner party at a gotdam restaurant later this week with a bunch of other olds. They live in a small West Texas town and aren't feeling the heat yet.

I'm really pissed at them.

Edited by bolverk
Denver...

2 hours ago, Hozz said:

Finally, for the people pushing for federal or state 'lockdowns'...that would be a fucking disaster.  There would be an immediate run on literally everything.  My wife went out to the nearest Walmart and HEB this afternoon and she said pretty much everything was picked over.  Surprising me, beer and wine was fully stocked but that was about the only items in our normal rotation she was able to purchase.

so whats your suggestion for flattening the curve?

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

I know it is highly non-PC but it is also possible that some of the other people would have died from "normal" flu or complications if not from CV19.   that said,  places like the washington state senior citizen home is an outlier so far as deaths. I think knowing/seeing that happen early did save a lot of lives as  retirement homes/long ter care facilities were able to lock down themselves early.

16 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Not cool or unreasonable.  But, be weary of HR.  Their best interest is to protect the company, not individuals.

9 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I know it is highly non-PC but it is also possible that some of the other people would have died from "normal" flu or complications if not from CV19.   that said,  places like the washington state senior citizen home is an outlier so far as deaths. I think knowing/seeing that happen early did save a lot of lives as  retirement homes/long ter care facilities were able to lock down themselves early.

But they wouldn’t have died from lack of care. I was talking about that scenario.  Flu and covid cases competing for beds, with the losers dying at home. 

may not be much overlap with flu season wrapping up, but maybe trauma and other things. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

2 minutes ago, achooloco said:

so whats your suggestion for flattening the curve?

From the COVID-19 task force press briefing, it'll "wash through" by July or August, so I don't think there's much anticipation from the authorities to contain or control the spread.

i know a single 1%er and they are really pissed off at trump for moving "too quickly" and "crashing the economy"

but i think we may have just flattened the curve.  a little bit.  a week ago we had zero flattening.  are we near 70% reduction in social distancing?  absolutely not.  but the markets crashing forced the government to pay attention and i feel like there is a ray of hope.  the more wailing and whining and gnashing of teeth, the fewer lives potentially lost that could be saved.

there but for the grace of god go i.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

You should be more pissed that he got your wife pregnant during the cruise  and gave her the AIDS.

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

i know a single 1%er and they are really pissed off at trump for moving "too quickly" and "crashing the economy"

but i think we may have just flattened the curve.  a little bit.  a week ago we had zero flattening.  are we near 70% reduction in social distancing?  absolutely not.  but the markets crashing forced the government to pay attention and i feel like there is a ray of hope.  the more wailing and whining and gnashing of teeth, the fewer lives potentially lost that could be saved.

there but for the grace of god go i.

When I was voting a few weeks ago, the dude behind me called his broker.  His conversation was like "hey, my neighbor said he made over a million dollars yesterday with ops or puts or shorts or whatever, I want to do that."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

From the COVID-19 task force press briefing, it'll "wash through" by July or August, so I don't think there's much anticipation from the authorities to contain or control the spread.

UK expects to deal with it til spring of 2021 since they just found out their entire pandemic strategy was...oops... bullshit

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away