Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Some dumbass lady is currently going to door-to-door in my neighborhood right now.  

I did not answer my door because I can't fathom anything so important that could justify a stranger knocking on every door in the neighborhood to speak to people.

Edit: Thunderstorm rolling in right now should send her home.

Edited by Beau Vine

1 minute ago, Jiggy-Z said:

We did have the 45 year old guy in Louisiana, too.  Surly sleuths sussed it out that he is possibly struggling with a weight problem (from pics) and  was treated with copious amounts of Ibuprofen initially- a possible no no.

For sure, I'm guessing that folks under 50 have died and will die in the future from this who simply had the bad luck that something landed on them that they couldn't handle, with no underlying health issues or high risk factors like drug abuse or alcoholism or obesity. I'm sure there have been plenty of olds in their 70's and beyond that had underlying health issues and yet recovered. But the odds here are just really easy to play, and the likelihood that 2 people well below the risk demographic in age are in critical care in the same place, and have no underlying health issues? Yeah, you gotta believe that that is bullshit. I'm guessing opiods for both if they actually keel over.

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Some dumbass lady is currently going to door-to-door in my neighborhood right now.  

I did not answer my door because I can't fathom anything so important that could justify a stranger knocking on every door in the neighborhood to speak to people.

Sounds like a good way to get a gun pulled on you. 

1 minute ago, Bevo said:

The guy runs marathons so I doubt his exercise induced asthma is severe. I will get asthma when running in the cold but I could still kick your ass in the 40 and 100. And I wouldn't consider myself high risk with regard to the virus.

Yeah, if mild asthma like he described is a huge risk factor, then it doesn't seem like we are all too far away from calling allergies a risk factor. Basically, Austin, prepare your anus. 

At any rate, the point of this sort of anecdote isn't to show that the average young healthy person faces a huge risk. Just that they face some risk. If even a fraction of a percent require hospitalization, that can be a huge problem for a potentially overloaded healthcare system. 

So, let me ask because i haven't read all this thread. Mainly because it moves faster than than a game thread where we're getting our asses kicked. 

The young people that are in serious condition with this, did they wait too long to get help like with most illnesses or did they go to a doctor at the first signs of this shit? I'd like to think they waited to long and didn't even self medicate before seeing a doctor. 

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

For sure, I'm guessing that folks under 50 have died and will die in the future from this who simply had the bad luck that something landed on them that they couldn't handle, with no underlying health issues or high risk factors like drug abuse or alcoholism or obesity. I'm sure there have been plenty of olds in their 70's and beyond that had underlying health issues and yet recovered. But the odds here are just really easy to play, and the likelihood that 2 people well below the risk demographic in age are in critical care in the same place, and have no underlying health issues? Yeah, you gotta believe that that is bullshit. I'm guessing opiods for both if they actually keel over.

"Old people die. It's what they do" 

Galveston - 'fuck your momma !' Galveston County judge: No plans to close bars, restaurants

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/galveston/news/article/Galveston-County-judge-says-closing-bars-15137959.php

city of galveston just shut it all down lulz . abbott needs to take a stance  here 

Edited by tx 3 putt

26 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

For example, right now re chloroquine phosphate and hydroxychloroquine, I think a regimen of prophylactic use or immediate use upon a positive test before severe complications arise could be a major boost to mitigation hiding in plain sight.  Most of the Chinese, SoKo, and Italian reports related to initiating it after people have complicated pneumonia.

I love the idea of finding a common and established medication that can turn the course with this, but we need to be careful about such broad recommendations. Chloroquine and Hydroxychloroquine are not benign substances, and there are a variety of issues to consider.  Eye diseases, cardiac issues, hepatic issues, etc. etc. Many of these precautions/contraindications overlap substantially with the at risk population. We have known safety profile, which is a very good thing.  But that does need to be balanced against the uncertain benefit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Will you please stop pussy footing around it and just say that you're okay with a bunch of people dying so that you don't lose your business?

Fuck's sake. 

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

Will you please stop pussy footing around it and just say that you're okay with a bunch of people dying so that you don't lose your business?

Fuck's sake. 

What are you doing out of the cloak room again? I'll be just fine. I realize given that you just posted some new fucking rumor that there is a covered-up outbreak about to explode in Austin, that you lean to the "we're all going to die! think of the children!" line of shrieking. That doesn't preclude the rest of us from taking the data as it comes in and actually thinking about it rationally.

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The guy runs marathons so I doubt his exercise induced asthma is severe. I will get asthma when running in the cold but I could still kick your ass in the 40 and 100. And I wouldn't consider myself high risk with regard to the virus.

Eh, when you get these viruses, it doesn’t matter if you run all the time or not. I was consistently running half’s and whole marathons when swine flu came, and never felt sicker in my life. Had to get steroids to help with breathing. its crazy how the body reacts to these respiratory viruses and how they affect you.

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

But the odds here are just really easy to play, and the likelihood that 2 people well below the risk demographic in age are in critical care in the same place, and have no underlying health issues? Yeah, you gotta believe that that is bullshit. I'm guessing opiods for both if they actually keel over.

Aren't you ignoring a pretty critical factor, the number of people infected in the area? Seems really strange to come to this conclusion with as little data as we have on # of infections. You are talking about a metro-area of over 7 million people. Even if only 1% are infected, and let's say 20% of those are in the "young and healthy bucket," a .1% hospitalization rate still leaves you with 14 hospitalizations.  Hell, working backward from two using those same assumptions, you'd only need 10,000 people infected in the area to expect 2 young and healthy people to be hospitalized. 

Edited by Dahobbs

4 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

What are you doing out of the cloak room again? I'll be just fine. I realize given that you just posted some new fucking rumor that there is a covered-up outbreak about to explode in Austin, that you lean to the "we're all going to die! think of the children!" line of shrieking. That doesn't preclude the rest of us from taking the data as it comes in and actually thinking about it rationally.

It's not covered up at all. Three of the ten are already in the news. The rest are coming as tests are verified. There is no conspiracy. These hospitals are going to be overrun past capacity in <1 week.

I hope your business makes it, man. I really do. And I'm sorry about what you're going through. But you're really showing yourself to be a pretty bad person throughout all of this. You very transparently are angry that governments are shutting down various parts of the economy because it's possibly going to cost you your business. You will survive losing a business. Lots and lots of people will not survive this virus.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, achooloco said:

Serious question, so i'm good if i walk the dog for an hour twice a day but remain away from folk and just mind my own business? Go on a run alone on less populated side streets? Outside of those two things and grocery store runs, i've been S-I-P since thursday. Since gyms and bars are closed but liquor stores are open, i'm a little confused on what the guidelines are/is allowed.

From an article discussing the just announced "shelter in place" order from Monterey County, CA.

Residents can leave their home for specified reasons to make sure they have the necessities of life such as getting food and medical supplies. They are also allowed to go outside to take care of pets, go on a walk, and just get outside, so long as they do not congregate in a group and maintain at least six feet of distance between themselves and other people.

47 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Just got off the phone with my ex. Complete 180 from this morning. I guess he finally understands the seriousness of the situation. 

Good, there's going to be some tough times ahead, which will call for tough decisions. IMO, you made the right one.

• Like 1

Of course none of these celebrities are having bad symptoms yet... it hasnt been their 2nd week of symptoms yet

the 2nd week is usually when the shit gets turned up to 11

Tom hanks posted an update probably 30 min ago and called it a case of the blahs.

I’m sure he’s well into his second week

51 minutes ago, Penelope said:

Just got off the phone with my ex. Complete 180 from this morning. I guess he finally understands the seriousness of the situation. 

8 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Does your dumbass ex know where the inventory is? 'cause he sounds like a serious security risk.

Evidently, I don't read fast enough.

Comment partially retracted. I'll let you decide which part.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Sigh.  Talked to the daughter again.  As her friends peel away and head home, she's really feeling the anxiety/uncertainty, and now loneliness in Montreal.  She wants to come home.  She has things to get done -- packing up her stuff and getting it to their apartment for storage, etc.  So she's thinking of departing on Monday.  On the plus side, flights are absurdly cheap, so, yeah.

Suspect we'll be picking up a sad kiddo from the airport Monday night.  Dammit.  I mean, I'll be glad to be able to be protective dad, and have her here, but we were really hoping that she could make it work to stay up there.  I get it, and I understand how she feels.  Morale is just so damned low.  There's only one person left on her floor.  It's shitty.

Also, have a colleague whose daughter is studying in New Zealand.  New Zealand said GTFO by March 30th -- go home.  So, she's gotta head home, too.  She was loving it over there.

I'd drive all day and night to pick her up. Wouldn't chance a flight. Definitely wouldn't leave her to fend for herself isolated like that. She's vulnerable and a target for predators the more isolated she gets. 

4 hours ago, Casual Encounter said:

No, but you can start coughing uncontrollably and throw you mask on the floor while screaming, “fuck that doctor”, and it might have the same effect.

4 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Michael Buble Flirting GIF by bubly

He does have style doesn't he?

4 minutes ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Its an amazing social phenomenon on the social medias to see the "ok boomer" crowd quickly change to the " this is about my grandparents" crowd seemingly overnight.  I wonder if we see the return of OK boomer this summer  

Just because they are tired of boomer leadership/criticism, doesn't mean they want people to die. I feel like this shouldn't be surprising to any marginally human person. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Junior Miller said:

I'd drive all day and night to pick her up. Wouldn't chance a flight. Definitely wouldn't leave her to fend for herself isolated like that. She's vulnerable and a target for predators the more isolated she gets. 

Yeah, it's 1700 miles.  And all reports I'm getting are that flights and airports are very lightly populated/traveled, so her exposure will be relatively limited.  There's risk no matter what path we take.  Hell, there's more risk to all of us driving 3400 miles round trip (exhaustion and accident chances).

She's pretty safe where she is.  There's security, she's spending time with her friends the best she can, to stave off the loneliness -- although they're also practicing distancing -- sitting farther apart, etc.

We'll get her home, and then go from there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Aren't you ignoring a pretty critical factor, the number of people infected the area? Seems really strange to come to this conclusion with as little data as we have on # of infections. You are talking about a metro-area of over 7 million people. Even if only 1% are infected, and let's say 20% of those are in the "young and healthy bucket," a .1% hospitalization rate still leaves you with 14 hospitalizations.  Hell, working backward from two using those same assumptions, you'd only need 10,000 people infected in the area. 

I'm just wondering where the rest of the data is then. You don't think clickpumping is a thing right now? What's the most sensationalist thing that can be pushed out there as news right now? "The kids are dying now too!". This is about as close as you can come to that without doing it. If I'm wrong, it will be like the 40th time today, so be it.

1 minute ago, BradInATX said:

It's not covered up at all. Three of the ten are already in the news. The rest are coming as tests are verified. 

I hope your business makes it, man. I really do. And I'm sorry about what you're going through. But you're really showing yourself to be a pretty bad person throughout all of this.

You very transparently are angry that governments are shutting down various parts of the economy because it's possibly going to cost you your business. 

You're projecting some sort of archetype at me that isn't actually me. It happens. I'm not bothered by the government doing what it feels is necessary. I've maintained in life and on the boards for my entire existence the truth, which is that I don't pay attention to politics in any meaningful way, and I don't have illusions about being able to impact the government, irrespective of who is in charge. 

The rest of your take is the most craven kind of bulletin board bullshit. So I posted on a thread about people worrying about their businesses and jobs something vulnerable, which is that I'm worried I'm going to have to lay good people off.

You've now co-opted that in two different posts into "you're mad that you're going to lose your business and you want everyone to die in order to avoid it!". You might as well have also written "ha hahahahahaha!" to close each post.

So fuck yourself for that, and attempting to wrap the thought with "I'm sorry for you, but oh by the way, you are a really bad person". You don't know dick about me or what's in my heart or actions. Also, I'm not losing "my" business. I'm worried about multiple businesses and trying to keep as many people employed as I can during this, and I also will not be letting any of them fail. They'll figure it out and we'll move on. You'll undoubtedly remain a partisan hack who sees everything through the perverted lens of blue or red. 

• Like 3

Its an amazing social phenomenon on the social medias to see the "ok boomer" crowd quickly change to the " this is about my grandparents" crowd seemingly overnight.  I wonder if we see the return of OK boomer this summer  

thats cause we’re on to Boomer Remover now.

9 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's not covered up at all. Three of the ten are already in the news. The rest are coming as tests are verified. There is no conspiracy. These hospitals are going to be overrun past capacity in <1 week.

I hope your business makes it, man. I really do. And I'm sorry about what you're going through. But you're really showing yourself to be a pretty bad person throughout all of this. You very transparently are angry that governments are shutting down various parts of the economy because it's possibly going to cost you your business. You will survive losing a business. Lots and lots of people will not survive this virus.

I’m not advocating for either side of this discussion but as I discussed earlier, there will likely be a lot more people who don’t survive the economic collapse than would have died from the virus. I understand both the emotional and logical side of this argument.

• Like 1

I posted naturally occurring compounds that block the replication of the virus.  Did y'all take notes?  If you catch it, there are natural virus inhibitors that can help you get over it.

The virus attacks the ace 2 receptors in the lung.  Some people have more of these than others.

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/174/8/4908

5 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

Jesus dude, unless she's doogie howser, I'm assuming she's an adult and has somehow managed to make it into the spring semester all on her own in a foreign country (I know it's Canada but still).

He should certainly be concerned as any father would be, but it's not like we have a preschooler lost in the woods after dark.

1 minute ago, Casual Encounter said:

I’m not advocating for either side of this discussion but as I discussed earlier, there will likely be a lot more people who don’t survive the economic collapse than would have died from the virus. I understand both the emotional and logical side of this argument.

There aren't two legitimate sides. I'm not advocating for business over people. I'm not bitching anywhere about the government. The fucking other guy showed up to throw that bullshit at me as though he had me pegged. Fuck him. It's bullshit like taking personal thoughts from someone sharing in a community like this and then trying to hurt them with it that makes angry douches like this Brad dildo worthless pieces of shit who add nothing to the BBS experience. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away