Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

28 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This could really go in two threads.

My wife just told me that when we get packages delivered to not put them on the counter because who knows who touched them. Agreed.

Also my wife:

I’m going to the gym tonight.

You should hear where she asked me to put my package....

DISCLAIMER: That one was really far too easy.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

5 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Okay, so it's France, meaning these folk have been smoking since they were in diapers, and drinking a shit ton of wine, but still, it's a data point.

From Business Insider:

In France, more than half of coronavirus patients in intensive care are under 60, suggesting it's not just the elderly at risk

The worst part about this as an academic exercise is that it will be most informative once it's all fucking over. We can parse every little variable to our hearts content, provided we're still among the living. Or, you know, not living in refrigerator boxes, eating shoe leather.

Salomon did not give a detailed breakdown of the intensive-care figures, so it's unclear how many are significantly younger than 60.

Scary stuff, but without the above its hard to draw much, no?

All I know is when this is all over we need to stack Futureman and his Mike White good Dak Prescott awful bit against Greenspoint and his Freak the Fuck Out and Prematurely Ejaculate over everything bit against each other and vote.

Winner (loser) leaves the island.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NoName said:

It is all but impossible to have any evidence-based best practices, no matter how many hospitalizations, in 6 weeks. 

Results sharing is extremely difficult across even county borders, much less state and international. 

I don't think we have a good chance of having any kind of solid protocols set up almost entirely in part due to the fact that the healthcare system is likely to be very close to capacity or over capacity in the next 6 weeks. Makes it very difficult to focus on tracking things and documenting results instead of focusing on keeping patients alive or focusing on keeping your PPE in place and not catching the virus. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/science/coronavirus-treatment.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Hundreds of Scientists Scramble to Find a Coronavirus Treatment

In an ambitious international collaboration, researchers have “mapped” proteins in the coronavirus and identified 50 drugs to test against it.

Working at a breakneck pace, a team of hundreds of scientists has identified 50 drugs that may be effective treatments for people infected with the coronavirus.

Many scientists are seeking drugs that attack the virus itself. But the Quantitative Biosciences Institute Coronavirus Research Group, based at the University of California, San Francisco, is testing an unusual new approach.

The researchers are looking for drugs that shield proteins in our own cells that the coronavirus depends on to thrive and reproduce.

Many of the candidate drugs are already approved to treat diseases, such as cancer, that would seem to have nothing to do with Covid-19, the illness caused by the coronavirus.

Scientists at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York and at the Pasteur Institute in Paris have already begun to test the drugs against the coronavirus growing in their labs. The far-flung research group is preparing to release its findings at the end of the week.

There is no antiviral drug proven to be effective against the virus. When people get infected, the best that doctors can offer is supportive care — the patient is getting enough oxygen, managing fever and using a ventilator to push air into the lungs, if needed — to give the immune system time to fight the infection.

If the research effort succeeds, it will be a significant scientific achievement: an antiviral identified in just months to treat a virus that no one knew existed until January.

“I’m really impressed at the speed and the scale at which they’re moving,” said John Young, the global head of infectious diseases at Roche Pharma Research and Early Development, which is collaborating on some of the work.

“We think this approach has real potential,” he said.

Some researchers at the Q.B.I. began studying the coronavirus in January. But last month, the threat became more imminent: A woman in California was found to be infected although she had not recently traveled outside the country.

That finding suggested that the virus was already circulating in the community.

“I got to the lab and said we’ve got to drop everything else,” recalled Nevan Krogan, director of the Quantitative Biosciences Institute. “Everybody has got to work around the clock on this.”

Dr. Krogan and his colleagues set about finding proteins in our cells that the coronavirus uses to grow. Normally, such a project might take two years. But the working group, which includes 22 laboratories, completed it in a few weeks.

“You have 30 scientists on a Zoom call — it’s the most exhausting, amazing thing,” Dr. Krogan said, referring to a teleconferencing service.

Viruses reproduce by injecting their genes inside a human cell. The cell’s own gene-reading machinery then manufactures viral proteins, which latch onto cellular proteins to create new viruses. They eventually escape the cell and infect others.

In 2011, Dr. Krogan and his colleagues developed a way to find all the human proteins that viruses use to manipulate our cells — a “map,” as Dr. Krogan calls it. They created their first map for H.I.V.

That virus has 18 genes, each of which encodes a protein. The scientists eventually found that H.I.V. interacts, in one way or another, with 435 proteins in a human cell.

Dr. Krogan and his colleagues went on to make similar maps for viruses such as Ebola and dengue. Each pathogen hijacks its host cell by manipulating a different combination of proteins. Once scientists have a map, they can use it to search for new treatments.

In February, the research group synthesized genes from the coronavirus and injected them into cells. They uncovered over 400 human proteins that the virus seems to rely on.

The flulike symptoms observed in infected people are the result of the coronavirus attacking cells in the respiratory tract. The new map shows that the virus’s proteins travel throughout the human cell, engaging even with proteins that do not seem to have anything to do with making new viruses.

One of the viral proteins, for example, latches onto BRD2, a human protein that tends to our DNA, switching genes on and off. Experts on proteins are now using the map to figure out why the coronavirus needs these molecules.

Kevan Shokat, a chemist at U.C.S.F., is poring through 20,000 drugs approved by the Food and Drug Administration for signs that they may interact with the proteins on the map created by Dr. Krogan’s lab.

Dr. Shokat and his colleagues have found 50 promising candidates. The protein BRD2, for example, can be targeted by a drug called JQ1. Researchers originally discovered JQ1 as a potential treatment for several types of cancer.

On Thursday, Dr. Shokat and his colleagues filled a box with the first 10 drugs on the list and shipped them overnight to New York to be tested against the living coronavirus.

The drugs arrived at the lab of Adolfo Garcia-Sastre, director of the Global Health and Emerging Pathogens Institute at Mount Sinai Hospital. Dr. Garcia-Sastre recently began growing the coronavirus in monkey cells.

Over the weekend, the team at the institute began treating infected cells with the drugs to see if any stop the viruses. “We have started experiments, but it will take us a week to get the first data here,” Dr. Garcia-Sastre said on Tuesday.

The researchers in San Francisco also sent the batch of drugs to the Pasteur Institute in Paris, where investigators also have begun testing them against coronaviruses.

If promising drugs are found, investigators plan to try them in an animal infected with the coronavirus — perhaps ferrets, because they’re known to get SARS, an illness closely related to Covid-19.

Even if some of these drugs are effective treatments, scientists will still need to make sure they are safe for treating Covid-19. It may turn out, for example, that the dose needed to clear the virus from the body might also lead to dangerous side effects.

This collaboration is far from the only effort to find an antiviral drug effective against the coronavirus. One of the most closely watched efforts involves an antiviral called remdesivir.

In past studies on animals, remdesivir blocked a number of viruses. The drug works by preventing viruses from building new genes.

In February, a team of researchers found that remdesivir could eliminate the coronavirus from infected cells. Since then, five clinical trials have begun to see if the drug will be safe and effective against Covid-19 in people.

Other researchers have taken startling new approaches. On Saturday, Stanford University researchers reported using the gene-editing technology Crispr to destroy coronavirus genes in infected cells.

As the Bay Area went into lockdown on Monday, Dr. Krogan and his colleagues were finishing their map. They are now preparing a report to post online by the end of the week, while also submitting it to a journal for publication.

Their paper will include a list of drugs that the researchers consider prime candidates to treat people ill with the coronavirus.

“Whoever is capable of trying them, please try them,” Dr. Krogan said.

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm guessing that shelter in place orders are going too far, and will quickly backfire.  If you can't go out even for food and meds, those who didn't stockpile will quickly get restless/panic.  If we get violence, S-I-P zones will probably be the first areas.

The "Shelter-in-Place" still allows people to go out to work (if they cannot work from home), to get groceries, get medicine, and do things like walk their dogs or take walks.  

It basically means do not congregate with others.  Do not have dinner parties, etc...

2 hours ago, achooloco said:

Serious question, so i'm good if i walk the dog for an hour twice a day but remain away from folk and just mind my own business? Go on a run alone on less populated side streets? Outside of those two things and grocery store runs, i've been S-I-P since thursday. Since gyms and bars are closed but liquor stores are open, i'm a little confused on what the guidelines are/is allowed.

Yip.  That is pretty much what Cuomo and BdB indicated a Shelter in Place would look like.  You could still go for a walk, just keep your distance.

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

I'm guessing that shelter in place orders are going too far, and will quickly backfire.  If you can't go out even for food and meds, those who didn't stockpile will quickly get restless/panic.  If we get violence, S-I-P zones will probably be the first areas.

Lol you think people are actually ordered to stay inside? Literally impossible to enforce. Public places are closed but you’re free to move about.

Just came back from Costco. Carts are being wiped down before you grab one, nice gesture.  I grabbed 20 lbs of salmon steaks, tuna steaks, steak steaks, a pan or  2    of la-zagna, some stuffed peppers, lots of frozen veggies, and a couple cases of propel water. Vacuum sealed all the meat products.  We're good for food for a while. Toilet paper isn't an issue...... yet.

Working from home for the most part right now.  So many events are being canceled.  North Carolina just closed the Outer Banks. You can't cross the sound onto the island unless you're a resident, state police road blocks set up turning people away.  Have Dead tickets for Boulder co, and Raleigh NC. A couple multi day Summer concerts, and a fishing trip or two.  Not holding my breath ...... yet. 

Edited by Onboard 2.0

32 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Okay, so it's France, meaning these folk have been smoking since they were in diapers, and drinking a shit ton of wine, but still, it's a data point.

From Business Insider:

In France, more than half of coronavirus patients in intensive care are under 60, suggesting it's not just the elderly at risk

The worst part about this as an academic exercise is that it will be most informative once it's all fucking over. We can parse every little variable to our hearts content, provided we're still among the living. Or, you know, not living in refrigerator boxes, eating shoe leather.

unfiltered cigarettes? 

2 hours ago, 2300 Nueces said:

I posted naturally occurring compounds that block the replication of the virus.  Did y'all take notes?  If you catch it, there are natural virus inhibitors that can help you get over it.

The virus attacks the ace 2 receptors in the lung.  Some people have more of these than others.

https://www.jimmunol.org/content/174/8/4908

Can anyone summarize that?  

Nevermind. Still behind.

Edited by PenelopeWitherspoon

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Dead tickets for Boulder co

That's a damn shame, Folsom field is a great venue and Dead and Co put on a killer show. Saw em there in 2018 and was amazed when the crowd hot boxed the open air bowl lol

Edited by Captainant

1 hour ago, Thetexashammer said:

They'll get their test. They just need to bring their military ID, their vaccination record, their dd-214s (all of them), their 2173, an approved DTS travel authorization, and a memo from the company commander authorizing the test. Then they will be placed on the waiting list and notified by military email when a test becomes available.

And if they live in Florida, the test will be administered in New York.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

2 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Its an amazing social phenomenon on the social medias to see the "ok boomer" crowd quickly change to the " this is about my grandparents" crowd seemingly overnight.  I wonder if we see the return of OK boomer this summer  

We have addd around 1,700-1,800 confirmed new cases today, and we all know the actual number is much higher.   A whole lot of people are starting to realize that this is going to sweep through their relatives fairly soon.  

2 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

I'd drive all day and night to pick her up. Wouldn't chance a flight. Definitely wouldn't leave her to fend for herself isolated like that. She's vulnerable and a target for predators the more isolated she gets. 

Yeah, Junior has a point.   So what’s her address?

1 minute ago, atomheartbevo said:

We have addd around 1,700-1,800 confirmed new cases today, and we all know the actual number is much higher.   A whole lot of people are starting to realize that this is going to sweep through their relatives fairly soon.  

Right - that’s the lesson to learn from more cases. It means we’ve increased testing capacity. You have to start following deaths instead of obsessing about cases

• Like 1

Just now, akhornfan said:

Right - that’s the lesson to learn from more cases. It means we’ve increased testing capacity. You have to start following deaths instead of obsessing about cases

You’ve been told many times why testing is important, so I’m not going to repeat it.   

1 hour ago, Patricio Swayze said:

This could really go in two threads.

My wife just told me that when we get packages delivered to not put them on the counter because who knows who touched them. Agreed.

Also my wife:

I’m going to the gym tonight.

I'll see your "going to the gym" and raise you a  "going to happy hour".

Apparently, there's a strip center near us that isn't technically in Leander or Georgetown, and there's a decent mom & pop restaurant/bar in there and some of the neighborhood wine moms thought it would be a good idea to go before someone in the county figures out how to make them close. 

Edited by Pescado_Rojo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I've been working like crazy for the past two days to get my smallish court prepared to WFH if and when we are ordered to do so.  But for now, we are open because we all have offices, tons of room for 15 people, etc.  By the way, I don't have an IT background.  English major/lawyer who decided, rightfully so, that he knew more about IT than anyone else in the office and got stuck with an admin password (good) and lots of uncompensated job duties (bad, financially, but good for getting to try out all of the good tech the Office of Court Admin (OCA) offers us.  

So I'm rocking along, getting machines (Windows, Apple, iPad, Chrome, whathaveyou) set up.  I'm wearing Nitrile gloves---thank you BBQ hobby---and basically insisting on not being anywhere near another employee.  So I'm walking down the hall and one of our dumbass, longterm clerical staff has her daughter (a nurse) and her two grand kids (oh, aren't they cute) running around the front part of the office.

So, that part of the office is a no fly zone for me and the two other sane attorneys I have been only teleconferencing with since I've been back this week. 

My bets are on this employee to be the first one to drop.  Being a kind person, that's not what I want, despite the fact she told me the other day that the schools closing was "ridiculous."  But I'll accept that fate with logical good grace because that's one of the most stupid, irresponsible, selfish (did I mention stupid) things I've seen.  And I've been the aggy thread.

2 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Following deaths gives you information that is 2 or 3 weeks out of date. If we based our actions on it, we'd have 4-7 doubling periods baked in for the near future. Our actions would be too little, too late. 

I am beginning to wrap up my day in central Texas and I can tell you the number of patients that present with Covid like symptoms seems to be increasing. We will try to ramp up testing as much as possible and it has definitely increased in the recent two days so we were going to see a skyrocketing number of cases that I feel are already out there.

Edited by Newdoc
Siri doesn’t know Covid yet
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Foosters said:

From an article discussing the just announced "shelter in place" order from Monterey County, CA.

3 hours ago, Updawg said:
3 hours ago, achooloco said:
Serious question, so i'm good if i walk the dog for an hour twice a day but remain away from folk and just mind my own business? Go on a run alone on less populated side streets? Outside of those two things and grocery store runs, i've been S-I-P since thursday. Since gyms and bars are closed but liquor stores are open, i'm a little confused on what the guidelines are/is allowed.

Yep. I've noticed a lot more families getting out in the evening s in my hood lately. A lot more dog walks are happening. Dogs might end up living this

3 hours ago, berlinerbaer said:

Yes, you'll be fine. The virus is not truly airborne. As long as you stay 6 feet away from an infected person, your risk of contracting Covid is minimal.

Even day trips to places that don't involve being confined with other people are okay.

out of rep but thanks!

2 hours ago, FondrenRoad said:

Liquor store workers are like the 3rd or 4th most essential workers. They come in just below firefighters, but above police. 

true. if i wasn't trying to keep my immune system up, i'd be bottling up for sure. props to those drinking at home (nyc bars now delivering drinks just like food) but i've gone sober for months at at time before, so three weeks to a couple months now ain't no sweat.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Following deaths gives you information that is 2 or 3 weeks out of date. If we based our actions on it, we'd have 4-7 doubling periods baked in for the near future. Our actions would be too little, too late. 

What we really need to see is the number of tests vs number of cases.  If you start testing everyone, sure, you are going to have a higher number of cases, but that also means that some of those will not be severe.

Also, want to comment about the France numbers upthread.  It said they had 300 cases in ICU.  300 cases is about 4% of diagnosed cases (7695).  That seems to be under what others are reporting, but it is early days.

16 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Agreed. We're never going to have better than a rough estimate on total cases.

101 deaths right now, per NYT. Subtract 28 because 29 were associated with that one nursing home in WA. 73 deaths. 

Let's assume a 1 percent morality rate. 73/0.01 = 7,300. Now since this appears to double every three days or so, let's double it five times to account for roughly two weeks of lag in the data.

~233,600 cases. Probably a little conservative given the writing off of 28/29 deaths in the nursing home. Obviously just a guess but feels reasonable enough based on existing expert opinions, and where they say we're heading.

Edit: That means we'll be nearing a million in a week (934,400 after two more three-day doublings). Assume half are already resolved (probably gross overestimate). 20 percent hospitalization rate on the remaining 467,200 cases = ~93k cases in the hospital.

Someone who's been following the numbers more closely - that feel right?

Edited by gmr548

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

You’ve been told many times why testing is important, so I’m not going to repeat it.   

Testing is beyond important. Which I’ve said all the way through. It invalidates the ideas that the CFR is 3% or 2% or 1% or whatever number you want to walk it down to. 
Testing, time and some reasonable thought will also prove that we’re not on Italy’s trajectory. On 3/11 they also announced ~2,000 new cases but also 200 deaths. But remember their deaths have been at 350 for the last 3 days. 
You stated 2,000 new cases and followed it with everyone will start realizing it’s ‘sweeping’ through their relatives. You have to start understand the numbers and cut it out with your panic bullshit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Galveston - 'fuck your momma !' Galveston County judge: No plans to close bars, restaurants

https://www.chron.com/neighborhood/galveston/news/article/Galveston-County-judge-says-closing-bars-15137959.php

city of galveston just shut it all down lulz . abbott needs to take a stance  here 

This is fucking unreal.  Those selfish cunts are going to kill people all over Texas and beyond.  Is there no way they can stop that BS?  

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away