Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

6 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This is fucking unreal.  Those selfish cunts are going to kill people all over Texas and beyond.  Is there no way they can stop that BS?  

Isn't Galveston one of those places that relies on help from the rest of the state when hurricanes threaten/hit?   IMO that makes what they are doing worse.  Those fucks ought to be team players.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'll see your "going to the gym" and raise you a  "going to happy hour".

Apparently, there's a strip center near us that isn't technically in Leander or Georgetown, and there's a decent mom & pop restaurant/bar in there and some of the neighborhood wine moms thought it would be a good idea to go before someone in the county figures out how to make them close. 

Name?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/us/politics/trump-coronavirus-plan.html

A federal government plan to combat the coronavirus warned policymakers last week that a pandemic “will last 18 months or longer” and could include “multiple waves,” resulting in widespread shortages that would strain consumers and the nation’s health care system.

The 100-page plan, dated Friday, the same day President Trump declared a national emergency, laid out a grim prognosis for the spread of the virus and outlined a response that would activate agencies across the government and potentially employ special presidential powers to mobilize the private sector.

Among the “additional key federal decisions” listed among the options for Mr. Trump was invoking the Defense Production Act of 1950, a Korean War-era law that authorizes a president to take extraordinary action to force American industry to ramp up production of critical equipment and supplies such as ventilators, respirators and protective gear for health care workers.

“Shortages of products may occur, impacting health care, emergency services, and other elements of critical infrastructure,” the plan warned. “This includes potentially critical shortages of diagnostics, medical supplies (including PPE and pharmaceuticals), and staffing in some locations.” P.P.E. refers to personal protective equipment.

The plan continued: “State and local governments, as well as critical infrastructure and communications channels, will be stressed and potentially less reliable. These stresses may also increase the challenges of getting updated messages and coordinating guidance to these jurisdictions directly.”

The plan, which was unclassified but marked “For Official Use Only // Not For Public Distribution or Release,” was shared with The New York Times as Mr. Trump escalated his efforts to curb the spread of the virus. After weeks of playing down the seriousness of the pandemic, saying it would miraculously disappear, Mr. Trump began shifting to a more sober tone during a news conference on Friday announcing the national emergency.

9 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Testing is beyond important. Which I’ve said all the way through. It invalidates the ideas that the CFR is 3% or 2% or 1% or whatever number you want to walk it down to. 
Testing, time and some reasonable thought will also prove that we’re not on Italy’s trajectory. On 3/11 they also announced ~2,000 new cases but also 200 deaths. But remember their deaths have been at 350 for the last 3 days. 
You stated 2,000 new cases and followed it with everyone will start realizing it’s ‘sweeping’ through their relatives. You have to start understand the numbers and cut it out with your panic bullshit. 

It’s not pushing out “panic bullshit”, it’s an acknowledgment that all these people who keep thinking “I don’t know anybody with it” will soon see people with it, and will adjust their attitudes.    Celebrities like Tom Hanks and Kevin Durant are also starting to raise awareness.  

20 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

What we really need to see is the number of tests vs number of cases.  If you start testing everyone, sure, you are going to have a higher number of cases, but that also means that some of those will not be severe.

Fort Bend County, Houston, Austin/TC, and Florida, unless any of those have changed their stance, are all acting like it’s a national security issue to release the numbers of tests, in addition to positives.    Some even try to claim it’s to prevent people from getting nervous.

Which is amusing, because the reality is they probably don’t want people to know how little they are testing, or how little they can test, because that would actually make them nervous if they look incompetent.

Being open and honest is the best strategy, and if we had had 6 weeks or so of that, we’d be in a lot better shape, and wouldn’t have to get draconian in such a short amount of time and/or wouldn’t have dumbshits wanting to party on.   Well, we’d still have those, but imagine if we had put the current measures in place back in February.  

20 minutes ago, Loco said:

Isn't Galveston one of those places that relies on help from the rest of the state when hurricanes threaten/hit?   IMO that makes what they are doing worse.  Those fucks ought to be team players.

Solution posted earlier.  

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

spacer.png

After recent hurricanes ending many smaller businesses, and this virus, Galveston is going to be in horrendous shape, and I get that, but the public good and all.  

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It’s not pushing out “panic bullshit”, it’s an acknowledgment that all these people who keep thinking “I don’t know anybody with it” will soon see people with it, and will adjust their attitudes.    Celebrities like Tom Hanks and Kevin Durant are also starting to raise awareness.  

‘Sweeping through your relatives’ is panic bullshit. 

28 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

Testing is beyond important. Which I’ve said all the way through. It invalidates the ideas that the CFR is 3% or 2% or 1% or whatever number you want to walk it down to. 
Testing, time and some reasonable thought will also prove that we’re not on Italy’s trajectory. On 3/11 they also announced ~2,000 new cases but also 200 deaths. But remember their deaths have been at 350 for the last 3 days. 
You stated 2,000 new cases and followed it with everyone will start realizing it’s ‘sweeping’ through their relatives. You have to start understand the numbers and cut it out with your panic bullshit. 

What do you mean "also" announced about 2,000 new cases? The US is at about 1,000 cases and announced about 20 deaths. When Italy was at around 1,000 new cases on 3/7 they were at 36 deaths, not 200.

How many times are you going to misread or misrepresent data while admonishing others? 

• Like 3

I am beginning to wrap up my day in central Texas and I can tell you the number of patients that present with Covid like symptoms seems to be increasing. We will try to ramp up testing as much as possible and it has definitely increased in the recent two days so we were going to see a skyrocketing number of cases that I feel are already out there.

First of all take care of yourself.

Secondly. Post more.
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Fort Bend County, Houston, Austin/TC, and Florida, unless any of those have changed their stance, are all acting like it’s a national security issue to release the numbers of tests, in addition to positives.    Some even try to claim it’s to prevent people from getting nervous.

Which is amusing, because the reality is they probably don’t want people to know how little they are testing, or how little they can test, because that would actually make them nervous if they look incompetent.

Being open and honest is the best strategy, and if we had had 6 weeks or so of that, we’d be in a lot better shape, and wouldn’t have to get draconian in such a short amount of time and/or wouldn’t have dumbshits wanting to party on.   Well, we’d still have those, but imagine if we had put the current measures in place back in February.  

Do not disagree.  Of course, we are not seeing the number of tests happening here in NYC either.  

I have said since the beginning that this has been here a hell of a lot longer than any of us knew.  I expect it first came here in early Jan.  We definitely saw a bigger number of people go to the Dr. with the flu this flu season, and I would expect that those that tested negative for flu may have been this mess.  

Also, to address the government report, I think 18 months is worst case scenario.  That being said, that scenario would most likely involve a full collapse of the world economy.  We need to bring all resources to shutting this shit down.

32 minutes ago, staboner said:

that is distressing to hear about Galveston. I am going to write a strongly worded letter to someone there. Fuck me. My father is 72 and is def in the high risk category for existing health issues. Very frustrating

They closed it all down earlier today. I think Kemah is still fucked thou 

• Like 1

The OC is on lockdown.  I have four guys out there on a project.  All non-essential businesses are closed but I’m guessing data centers are essential.  Lots of off site medical records in them and you fuckers want your internet and streaming still.  

Edited by VABuckeye

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Also, to address the government report, I think 18 months is worst case scenario.  That being said, that scenario would most likely involve a full collapse of the world economy.  We need to bring all resources to shutting this shit down.

An interesting aspect of this is that if you don't plan as if the worst case scenario will happen, you're basically ensuring that it will happen. 

1 minute ago, TornACL said:

An interesting aspect of this is that if you don't plan as if the worst case scenario will happen, you're basically ensuring that it will happen. 

I completely agree.  However, I think people are going to read that and not understand the difference.  The government and hospitals should ABSOLUTELY plan for that to happen.

You and I, maybe not so much.  

12 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

‘Sweeping through your relatives’ is panic bullshit. 

Fauci said it could be hundreds of thousands dead, maybe worse if we don’t get our shit  together fast.  Which is not happening fast enough.   And I’m not talking about all at once, mind you  this is going to be over several waves.

And I will take his word over your word.  

But if it’s less upsetting for you, I’ll  use the term “it’s going to nuzzle its way through their relatives, using just the tip.”

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What do you mean "also" announced about 2,000 new cases? The US is at about 1,000 cases and announced about 20 deaths. When Italy was at around 1,000 new cases on 3/7 they were at 36 deaths, not 200.

How many times are you going to misread or misrepresent data while admonishing others? 

We’re at +1,600 today. At least. 

You still think we’re testing behind Italy??

4 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I completely agree.  However, I think people are going to read that and not understand the difference.  The government and hospitals should ABSOLUTELY plan for that to happen.

When this started, I think a helpful message for the public to encourage self isolation would have been this message :

You have two options. Lock downs, either consistent or intermittent for 9 months or more, or self isolation for 4-6 weeks. Makes the choice binary and pretty easy, imo. 

Then the hospitals plan as though none of us will listen because we're all giant dumbasses. 

Edited by TornACL

3 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

I’ve talked to a few doctor and nurses in the neighborhood from my kid’s school on text/Facebook/etc. and at least some hospitals in Austin are working/planning towards worst-case scenarios.   And they are seeing plenty with symptoms.    Basically a “we are close to everybody seeing why officials are getting aggressive”.

11 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Do not disagree.  Of course, we are not seeing the number of tests happening here in NYC either.  

I have said since the beginning that this has been here a hell of a lot longer than any of us knew.  I expect it first came here in early Jan.  We definitely saw a bigger number of people go to the Dr. with the flu this flu season, and I would expect that those that tested negative for flu may have been this mess.  

It was 55 days between the first documented case in WA and POTUS admitting COVID was a real issue.

8 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I wonder when real panic will set in for the US, meaning when people realize many people are actually dying and this is serious?

I’m going to go with somewhere between 500 deaths and 1000 deaths

Unless more die than a typical flu season I'm not sure I'd agree.  I think there would need to be a set of circumstances that make it very frightening, and bring it to their front doors.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

5 minutes ago, TornACL said:

When this started, I think a helpful message for the public to encourage self isolation would have been this message :

You have two options. Lock downs, either consistent or intermittent for 9 months or more, or self isolation for 4-6 weeks. Makes the choice binary and pretty easy, imo. 

Then the hospitals plan as though none of us will listen because we're all giant dumbasses. 

Do not disagree.  And that is what is happening now.  However, again, hard to make people self-isolate back at the end of Jan, when this probably really should have occurred.  Hell, I was in Europe in mid-Feb for a work trip.  

4 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

We’re at +1,600 today. At least. 

You still think we’re testing behind Italy??

If we are, we are catching up fast.  Yesterday, we had just over a thousand new cases. Today, we are already at 1,700 new cases.   That doesn’t necessarily mean we had a huge spike in new cases, it probably means our testing, or rather processing of said tests, is starting to make headway.    We saw this with China - they had a huge spike once testing truly ramped up.   

Here in Austin alone, we are definitely behind on testing.    

6 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

It was 55 days between the first documented case in WA and POTUS admitting COVID was a real issue.

The first case was diagnosed in WA on January 22.  I have said since the first reports out of China that it had been in China longer than early January, and those people had traveled.  We even joked that whatever swept through our office in late December could have been Coronavirus.  We had another something that swept through in late January.  Worst cold I had had in years.  Never had a fever, but the cough was awful.  Still have a slight cough 6 weeks later.

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

The first case was diagnosed in WA on January 22.  I have said since the first reports out of China that it had been in China longer than early January, and those people had traveled.  We even joked that whatever swept through our office in late December could have been Coronavirus.  We had another something that swept through in late January.  Worst cold I had had in years.  Never had a fever, but the cough was awful.  Still have a slight cough 6 weeks later.

So are the LifeCare deaths form that first case in WA?   I saw something that they traced it to them, but nothing since.  

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

I wonder when real panic will set in for the US, meaning when people realize many people are actually dying and this is serious?

I’m going to go with one or two celebrities.  Because, ‘Murcia

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Same shit happened through our office in late January. I was sick for three weeks. Light fever off and on, cough for almost a month, diminished lung function, hard to catch my breath, etc. Tested negative for flu and strep.

15 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Or rationing and food shortages at grocery stores.  THAT's when this gets real.

11 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Will depend on how leadership responds to that and what the demographics continue to look like.  Put it this way if it continues to be 85% 70+ year old folks...nobody would panic just on their own.  Couple that with certain actions and sure panic sets in, change those demographics and sure panic sets in.  Will be very interesting to watch as I have been saying all along we are running down a long track to that eventually becoming the conversation (whether we want it to or not) if the demos stay the same.  

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If we are, we are catching up fast.  Yesterday, we had just over a thousand new cases. Today, we are already at 1,700 new cases.   That doesn’t necessarily mean we had a huge spike in new cases, it probably means our testing, or rather processing of said tests, is starting to make headway.    We saw this with China - they had a huge spike once testing truly ramped up.   

Here in Austin alone, we are definitely behind on testing.    

Which is why you have to compare against deaths. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away