Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

13 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Also, back in the day I sold Diovan (ARB) for a number of yrs and before that an ACEI.  I'm not a doctor but as a former drug rep in thay category my knowledge is an inch wide and a mile deep.  I know all the mechanisms of action. The pharmakentics, the cascade that happens with angiotensin, etc.  You should Google though because Arbs also might be beneficial in this. Here is a vid published yesterday about it. 

Pretty solid.   This guy is good and made me remember a few things.  

22 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Also, back in the day I sold Diovan (ARB) for a number of yrs and before that an ACEI.  I'm not a doctor but as a former drug rep in thay category my knowledge is an inch wide and a mile deep.  I know all the mechanisms of action. The pharmakentics, the cascade that happens with angiotensin, etc.  You should Google though because Arbs also might be beneficial in this. Here is a vid published yesterday about it. 

I don't disagree with any of this. But also, we are talking about mice. mice. The risk associated with short term discontinuation with daily BP monitoring in non renal patients is extremely low.

giphy.gif

Edited by Anastasis

36 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The evidence is very spotty. I would not suggest that anybody take any moves without consulting with their physician. And they very well might blow them off. I am only suggesting what I might consider under the circumstances. If you want to draw down on the ARB, I would closely monitor BP daily over the next few weeks. If you have a compelling indication such as kidney disease, diabetes, etc. mos def don't do anything somebody on the internet says. 

I take a TNF inhibitor, Remicade, that is an immunosuppressive drug.  It’s administered intravenously every 6 weeks. Have another infusion in 3 weeks.  Will talk to my doc about maybe skipping it.

1 hour ago, InkaUtexas said:

still waiting to hear we are bringing the Bear assets (USAF medical facilities in a box) we have scattered around the Middle East. 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/17/pentagon-to-give-5-million-masks-and-2000-ventilators-for-coronavirus.html

Not much, but it’s a start.  

The Pentagon says it will give 5 million respirator masks and 2,000 ventilators to the Department of Health and Human Services from the military’s strategic reserve in order to support the coronavirus response.

“Secretary of Defense Mark Esper said Tuesday from the Pentagon press briefing room that 1 million respirator masks would be made available immediately. 

Esper said the Pentagon is able to offer up to 2,000 deployable ventilators but that the machines are different from those used by civilians and will require training before operation. He added that the U.S. government would need to seek support from industry on procuring more ventilators.

“When you look at the number of people that are projected that may need ventilators, 2,000 doesn’t really put much of a dent into it,” Esper said.

“The key thing is the private sector, the manufacturing side, whoever makes medical machines of this type. How do you prime that pump to get production up because we are simply not going to be able to meet the demand if the demand fits some of the profiles as we’ve seen the CDC brief,” he said.“

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

I take a TNF inhibitor, Remicade, that is an immunosuppressive drug.  It’s administered intravenously every 6 weeks. Have another infusion in 3 weeks.  Will talk to my doc about maybe skipping it.

Yep, that is far outside of my field of vision.  I have safety studies that involve TNFi's but can't really speak to it in clinical terms in this context. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, mchookem said:

gotdammit the discussion of takeout is killing me...i haven't mentioned it yet, but my house is under construction. like, we started a major remodel, including kitchen, living, master bed/bath, literally last monday. i can't cook, wash dishes, etc. we are 'living' in a guest bed/bathroom.

if we get one of those 'shelter in place' orders...my god we are so fucked. 

i've been doing fine, telling myself it will be fine. ..but this morning i had a meltdown. i'm not far from a serious freak out. there's nothing i can do about it. i mean, i don't even know WHAT to do. last monday seems like an eternity.

@mchookem

Eating out should be fine, just take a few precautions.  According to the following article, if you are worried you can microwave or heat it in the oven for a little bit.  It has specifics, but basically make sure the food reaches 165 degrees for at least 15 seconds, and make sure to let food sit in the microwave after it finishes to let areas finish cooking, since microwaves can heat food unevenly:

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2020/03/worried-about-coronavirus-on-your-food-165-degrees-is-universal-safe-cooking-temperature-but-not-often-necessary.html

https://www.foodsafety.gov/keep-food-safe/4-steps-to-food-safety

And wipe down the counter where the container was after you throw it away.

I'm guessing a lot of the transmissions from food workers to guests on the cruise ships were either because of guests not washing their hands after handling and opening containers/wrappers/etc. or airborne transmission from getting too close when handing over the meals.  So you might want to become proficient with these:

maxresdefault.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

You're not going to manufacture anough of them in time.  The supply we have is it more or less. 

The Koreans and Chinese public reuse their masks and based on the results in South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Singapore, that is adequate to seriously slow the spread among the general population.

Certainly medical professionals should avoid reusing masks but a used mask is better than no mask.

Whole article is worth a read
https://champ.gothamist.com/champ/gothamist/news/healthcare-workers-describe-supply-and-staff-shortages-covid-19

“Judy Sheridan-Gonzalez is the President of the 40,000 member New York State Nurses Association and is an Emergency Room RN in Montefiore Hospital. The union’s members at different hospitals have been given different guidance on how to protect themselves, that’s shifted with access to personal protective gear, she said.

“For us in particular at risk, if we get ill, if we die, who’s going to take care of the people who get sick,” she said. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been shifting its guidance on how health care workers should protect themselves as circumstances change, she said.

“Now because of the shortage the CDC said, ‘Well there’s a shortage so I think you could probably use regular masks, it’s usually not transmitted airborne, we’re not sure. Well, if you say, ‘This is the science, and now you say there’s scarcity so the science goes out the window, that’s just not acceptable to us.”

19 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Dear Lord. I have a grandmom at a nursing home.  My dad went to see her but they would not let him in.  I would hope this was before that happened. This virus was in the US I'd guess since Jan. 

This virus was in the US before the New Year and none of us new it because China did everything they could to keep a lid on it before admitting they fucked us all 

Edited by Trey3216
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

This virus was in the US before the New Year and none of us new it because China did everything they could to keep a lid on it before admitting they fucked us all 

This is 100% correct and something I've been espousing since the early days of this pandemic. The Chinese probably knew this was an issue by mid November or so.  Fuck them.  They need to feel the pain the rest of the world will feel from this. We need to re-patriot as much of our manufacturing as we possibly can and what can't be brought back to the US should go to Mexico, Central and South America.  Fuck China!

Edited by Hate
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, Hate said:

This is 100% correct and something I've been espousing since the early days of this pandemic. The Chinese probably knew this was an issue by mid November or so.  Fuck them.  They need to feel the pain the rest of the world will feel from this. We need to re-patriot as much of our manufacturing as we possibly can and what can't be brought back to the US should go to Mexico, Central and South America.  Fuck China!

User name and my feelings for the PRC aligned.

6 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

How does everyone feel about daycares right now? Are a lot of cities mandating that they close? Are any of you still using them?

We have friends who still take one of their two kids to daycare with no plans to stop until the daycare is forced to close. It makes no sense to me because the mom is currently home from work on maternity leave with their other kid who is ~7 weeks old.

Fuck no. Day care centers are bacterial crock pots. Every surface is covered in kid snot.

4 hours ago, mchookem said:

gotdammit the discussion of takeout is killing me...i haven't mentioned it yet, but my house is under construction. like, we started a major remodel, including kitchen, living, master bed/bath, literally last monday. i can't cook, wash dishes, etc. we are 'living' in a guest bed/bathroom.

i've been doing fine, telling myself it will be fine. ..but this morning i had a meltdown. i'm not far from a serious freak out. there's nothing i can do about it. i mean, i don't even know WHAT to do. last monday seems like an eternity.

Have the contractor set up a sink , microwave and refrigerator in your garage. That's pretty much 101 remodeling around here for a while now

5 hours ago, mchookem said:

If you have the means, buy a camper with a kitchen, bathroom and shower and park it in your driveway.  You will have to refill propane and dump the tanks occasionally.  If you can, go social distance in Big Bend, Moab or anywhere that has BLM land if the parks are closed.

Edit: you can get a decent used camper that can do all the above for ten grand.  Look at craigslist of FB marketplace.

Edited by Goredho

5 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Had a FB post this evening from a friend who has a parent that has the kinds of symptoms that should get him tested.  He was turned down here in Austin, because he had not traveled and didn’t know anybody who had it.  

Why the fuck are the politicians still crowing about people who need the test can get it?    Because here it is March 17, and people who have the symptoms and tested negative for the flu are being turned away.   You know, the potential community spreaders.  And after a big push is made to ramp up testing   

He’s debating lying about it tomorrow and trying again,  a “I just heard somebody at an event was spreading it and I was there!” Kind of thing, although somebody told him to go talk to the folks at ARC here in Austin.  

Everyone who thinks not being able to get a test is bad needs to wait 3 weeks and see how bad it gets when people are not able to get an icu bed or ventilator.

• Like 1

I'm stocking the truck with several pair of rubber gloves, and hand sanitizer/Lysol Rubber gloves for gas pumps, and will begin wiping down my credit card after each use in any card reader.  Our county hasn't seen any incidents yet, but the spread is going everywhere. No sense not tasking some easy, minimal precautions.

EDIT: 4 cases as of today in our county, 2 caused all 4 apparently, which is probably good, geographically speaking, maybe.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Goredho said:

If you have the means, buy a camper with a kitchen, bathroom and shower and park it in your driveway.  You will have to refill propane and dump the tanks occasionally.  If you can, go social distance in Big Bend, Moab or anywhere that has BLM land if the parks are closed.

Edit: you can get a decent used camper that can do all the above for ten grand.  Look at craigslist of FB marketplace.

A sink, microwave and moving your fridge to the garage is a lot cheaper than that.

17 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

A sink, microwave and moving your fridge to the garage is a lot cheaper than that.

Ok?  The camper is just another option for consideration.  If I was in his shoes and had the $$$, the camper would be preferable to me, especially if this stretches into late summer.

Edit:  enabling isolated getaways to some of the most beautiful scenery in the world when modern travel is/should be curtailed would be a huge mental boost to me personally.

Edited by Goredho

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

I am in trouble. Gf1 and gf2 are friends and I lived with gf1 for 6 months  and we are friends with boom boom and gf2 spent last  weekend with me without gf1 knowing.  Gf2 was supposed to spend the next few nights with me but gf1 had trouble moving between  cities because her ID says she lives with me. So gf1 moves back in with me and I waived off gf2. The gf2 video chats gf1 while  at my place and invites herself over  for dinner tomorrow.  Gf1 points the phone at me so I waive as innocently as I can. Then gf2 tells gf1 she wants boom boom with me. Oh, and at some point gf2 starts saying she is pregnant, although I don't  think it is possible due to her cycle.

So tomorrow I am looking at

a. Death, b. Two girls living with me, c. A 3some with gf2 going home, d. Gf1 moving out and gf2 staying, e. Both girls  leaving, f. Gf2 behaves and nothing happens, g. gf2 confesses and gf1 is cool with it but not down for a 3some. Note that gf1 already wants us to have a 3some with a different girlfriend. 

Suddenly the virus is not my biggest problem.

No, your biggest problem is no pics of either GF1 or 2. There are rules sir....... RULES YOU BASTARD !!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I am in trouble. Gf1 and gf2 are friends and I lived with gf1 for 6 months  and we are friends with boom boom and gf2 spent last  weekend with me without gf1 knowing.  Gf2 was supposed to spend the next few nights with me but gf1 had trouble moving between  cities because her ID says she lives with me. So gf1 moves back in with me and I waived off gf2. The gf2 video chats gf1 while  at my place and invites herself over  for dinner tomorrow.  Gf1 points the phone at me so I waive as innocently as I can. Then gf2 tells gf1 she wants boom boom with me. Oh, and at some point gf2 starts saying she is pregnant, although I don't  think it is possible due to her cycle.

a. Death, b. Two girls living with me, c. A 3some with gf2 going home, d. Gf1 moving out and gf2 staying, e. Both girls  leaving, f. Gf2 behaves and nothing happens, g. gf2 confesses and gf1 is cool with it but not down for a 3some. Note that gf1 already wants us to have a 3some with a different girlfriend. 

You're going to catch... something

So as more and more large metropolitan areas issue public venue shut downs, small town America goes on business as usual....at least in the Rockwall/Royse City area.

Hell, one joint was still heavily pimping St. Patty's Day activities for yesterday.   No shutdowns I can see, voluntary or otherwise.  I have a feeling this is going to hit small town America like a fucking freight train. 

Edited by DigglerontheHoof

7 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Bataan Death Threesome.  If the world ends, make it with a bang and not a whimper.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RayDog said:

This is where a really creative person would write a great blues song. All the elements are there. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, tjhooker said:

Dear Lord. I have a grandmom at a nursing home.  My dad went to see her but they would not let him in.  I would hope this was before that happened. This virus was in the US I'd guess since Jan. 

My father in law is in an assisted living facility which is a tad different than a traditional nursing home as they don't have 24/7 medical attention, etc.    It's now off limits to non residents as my wife found that out over the weekend when she went to see him. 

8 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So as more and more large metropolitan areas issue public venue shut downs, small town America goes on business as usual....at least in the Rockwall/Royse City area.

Hell, one joint was still heavily pimping St. Patty's Day activities for yesterday.   No shutdowns I can see, voluntary or otherwise.  I have a feeling this is going to hit small town America like a fucking freight train. 

Hays County is absolutely fucked.

32 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm stocking the truck with several pair of rubber gloves, and hand sanitizer/Lysol Rubber gloves for gas pumps, and will begin wiping down my credit card after each use in any card reader.  Our area hasn't;t seen any incidents yet, but the spread is going everywhere. No sense not tasking some easy, minimal precautions.

Nothing wrong with using gloves to touch the gas pump but it could be overkill. Wouldn’t a paper towel work just as well assuming the handle is dry? I would still use sanitizer when I was done to be safe.

4 hours ago, Hate said:

The Chinese should be accountable once and for all  for the petri dishes called the "wet markets" where most of theses viruses originate from.   

This Vox clip pretty much nails the issue and why the Chinese refuse to fix it.     

One of the comments on the thread on You Tube says even our deaths will have "Made in China" label on it.

20 minutes ago, RayDog said:

So far the Coronavirus Romance Novel genre is not as sexy as I’d hoped 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nothing wrong with using gloves to touch the gas pump but it could be overkill. Wouldn’t a paper towel work just as well assuming the handle is dry? I would still use sanitizer when I was done to be safe.

Yeah I'd think so, but how often do you hit a gas station, and the paper towel dispensers are empty ?  I think the credit card reader thing might be a little overkill,  but at this point better safe than sick. Hitting the Costco yesterday, and seeing them take the precautions to wipe down every cart drove the point home a bit. 

Besides I have lots of rubber gloves from doing repair work on the car, and sheetrock repair around the house.

4 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

The Chinese should be accountable once and for all  for the petri dishes called the "wet markets" where most of theses viruses originate from.   

This Vox clip pretty much nails the issue and why the Chinese refuse to fix it.     

One of the comments on the thread on You Tube says even our deaths will have "Made in China" label on it.

NO CR intended, just good old fashioned fuck them in the ass schadenfreude. Time to pull our manufacturing back to America for several reasons, but putting the economic nuke drop on them would be delicious.  Fucking murdering criminals.  

• Like 4

8 hours ago, wild_turkey said:

How does everyone feel about daycares right now? Are a lot of cities mandating that they close? Are any of you still using them?

We have friends who still take one of their two kids to daycare with no plans to stop until the daycare is forced to close. It makes no sense to me because the mom is currently home from work on maternity leave with their other kid who is ~7 weeks old.

Our son’s last day is Friday, and he’s not going back anytime soon. That being said, I’m fine with them staying open, and continuing to pay for his spot. Those workers make like 13 bucks an hour, need to work, and additionally some parents don’t have the option to stay home. Doctors and nurses need daycare, and we need them. If the kids are spreaders, and generally asymptomatic, well, bring on the herd immunity for caretakers. Just my opinion. No right/wrong answer. 

We need testing so we can track recovered and try to get more people out of their homes ASAP doing work. 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Was at Big Bend this past weekend. There were license plates from all over the country and you still have to go to the visitor centers to get permits and stuff. So maybe not a great idea. Boondocking on BLM land or National Forest would be the way to go.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away