Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

That’s not what I got from reading one of the articles posted here.  I knew about the dogs not getting it thing.  Regardless....

About the mice

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/14/815624878/mouse-hunt-lab-races-to-grow-mice-for-covid-19-research

Laboratories across the world are gearing up to develop vaccines that can stop the spread of the deadly coronavirus. They've got the funding; they've got the talent. But they don't have the mice.

In order to test and ensure that vaccines are safe and effective, researchers typically conduct experiments on animals, usually mice. Though some labs are experimenting with ferrets and monkeys for this virus, mice are cheap and plentiful.

But researchers can't use ordinary mice. That's because the coronavirus doesn't make mice sick. Humans have to genetically engineer them to be susceptible to the virus. But it seems there are no such mice to be found.

So I went to get some rations at HEB this morning.  Holy fucking hell.  I got what I wanted so I am all good.  They had TP but I did not need any and people were buying it in droves.  One lady was buying all the cases of canned vegetables while wearing a mask and gloves.  Another had gloves and a bandana on, lulz.  Still very low on rice and veggies, no frozen veggies at all.   People watching at HEB may become my new thing.

3 minutes ago, Loco said:

What are you talking about?

Gays can’t give blood.  It was illegal for the longest.  Then they changed the “rule” to say gays have to be celibate for at least 1 year to give blood, I do believe. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Gays can’t give blood.  It was illegal for the longest.  Then they changed the “rule” to say gays have to be celibate for at least 1 year to give blood, I do believe. 

Last I heard I couldn’t give blood due to living in Europe durning the mad cow troubles.  Wonder if that ever changed. 

I might need to look into it again 

3 hours ago, RayDog said:

I am in trouble. Gf1 and gf2 are friends and I lived with gf1 for 6 months  and we are friends with boom boom and gf2 spent last  weekend with me without gf1 knowing.  Gf2 was supposed to spend the next few nights with me but gf1 had trouble moving between  cities because her ID says she lives with me. So gf1 moves back in with me and I waived off gf2. The gf2 video chats gf1 while  at my place and invites herself over  for dinner tomorrow.  Gf1 points the phone at me so I waive as innocently as I can. Then gf2 tells gf1 she wants boom boom with me. Oh, and at some point gf2 starts saying she is pregnant, although I don't  think it is possible due to her cycle.

So tomorrow I am looking at

a. Death, b. Two girls living with me, c. A 3some with gf2 going home, d. Gf1 moving out and gf2 staying, e. Both girls  leaving, f. Gf2 behaves and nothing happens, g. gf2 confesses and gf1 is cool with it but not down for a 3some. Note that gf1 already wants us to have a 3some with a different girlfriend. 

Suddenly the virus is not my biggest problem.

Enchubben meter.gif

1 minute ago, Pancho said:

giphy.gif

wow... Just looked at the FDA guidance.   Did not know.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pancho said:

We don’t want that gay virus spreading too. Things are already bad enough

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Not a cat said:

Just what we need, give the anti vaxers more ammo.

They are a bunch of anti science idiots.  The reason vaccines are safe is because of science and rigorous testing.  '76 Swine Flu vaccine problem was a result of NOT following the science.

10 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Japanese flu drug 'clearly effective' in treating coronavirus, says China

Any hopeful news is welcome.  This might be useful as part of a cocktail.  Also keeping an eye out for any treatment responsive meds that extrapolate to having prophylactic properties.

There’s dozens of patients in a few hospitals and they’re keeping them off the respirators for the most part.  I’m not sure on the cocktails they’re using but there’s hope.  

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Day care should be reserved for children of front lines medical personnel and those with no other options. 

This is the situation my wife and I are struggling with.  Both healthcare workers, both sets of grandparents live 1hr away and have underlying medical conditions, and no nearby relatives of our age who could watch our daughter.  One neighbor offered to watch our her, however they got back from Disney World on Sunday.  Both hospitals aren't granting FLMA for CoVID-related school closures until they have to (she's been told only when Trump signs the bill and said bill takes effect /no cr).  So we are in a situation of which "stew of germs" is less worse: a daycare that we know has good cleanliness and reduced volume or neighbors that just travelled with thousands of others from around the country/world.  Not to mention, there is the issue of what if one of us has been exposed from an infected/but asymptomatic patient, which is highly likely given that there has been no reduction of outpatient and non-emergent services and a lack of seriousness the general population is giving to the idea of social distancing (our outpatient volumes are INCREASING this week). Would we want our daughter to take it nextdoor to a family of six? No easy answers.

“Absolut Vodka-owner Pernod Ricard to help make hand sanitizer

French premium alcohol company Pernod Ricard, whose products include Absolut Vodka, is offering its services to fulfill worldwide demand for hand sanitizer. In the U.S., the company will convert manufacturing facilities in Kentucky, West Virginia and Texas to make the gel. It is taking similar measures in Spain, Ireland, and Sweden and plans to do so in the United Kingdom. In France, the premium liquor-maker is donating 70,000 liters of alcohol to Labratoire Cooper, a major supplier of hand sanitizer. “

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s dozens of patients in a few hospitals and they’re keeping them off the respirators for the most part.  I’m not sure on the cocktails they’re using but there’s hope.  

Cocktails FTW.

Good thing my liquor cabinet and mixers are fully stocked.

3 hours ago, RayDog said:

I am in trouble. Gf1 and gf2 are friends and I lived with gf1 for 6 months  and we are friends with boom boom and gf2 spent last  weekend with me without gf1 knowing.  Gf2 was supposed to spend the next few nights with me but gf1 had trouble moving between  cities because her ID says she lives with me. So gf1 moves back in with me and I waived off gf2. The gf2 video chats gf1 while  at my place and invites herself over  for dinner tomorrow.  Gf1 points the phone at me so I waive as innocently as I can. Then gf2 tells gf1 she wants boom boom with me. Oh, and at some point gf2 starts saying she is pregnant, although I don't  think it is possible due to her cycle.

So tomorrow I am looking at

a. Death, b. Two girls living with me, c. A 3some with gf2 going home, d. Gf1 moving out and gf2 staying, e. Both girls  leaving, f. Gf2 behaves and nothing happens, g. gf2 confesses and gf1 is cool with it but not down for a 3some. Note that gf1 already wants us to have a 3some with a different girlfriend. 

Suddenly the virus is not my biggest problem.

spacer.png

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

im still seeing a certain group of 'followers' calling all the closures 'bullshit'. this same group is quick to point out that the flu is much more serious and blaming the media for over hyping the whole situation. 

My new Facebook response to those people is: 
"Did you see that President ***** declared a national emergency over this? He must be the biggest moron in the world to declare a national emergency over the flu, huh?"

7 minutes ago, Dutch said:

This is the situation my wife and I are struggling with.  Both healthcare workers, both sets of grandparents live 1hr away and have underlying medical conditions, and no nearby relatives of our age who could watch our daughter.  One neighbor offered to watch our her, however they got back from Disney World on Sunday.  Both hospitals aren't granting FLMA for CoVID-related school closures until they have to (she's been told only when Trump signs the bill and said bill takes effect /no cr).  So we are in a situation of which "stew of germs" is less worse: a daycare that we know has good cleanliness and reduced volume or neighbors that just travelled with thousands of others from around the country/world.  Not to mention, there is the issue of what if one of us has been exposed from an infected/but asymptomatic patient, which is highly likely given that there has been no reduction of outpatient and non-emergent services and a lack of seriousness the general population is giving to the idea of social distancing (our outpatient volumes are INCREASING this week). Would we want our daughter to take it nextdoor to a family of six? No easy answers.

There's worse options

Image result for simpsons tv babysitter

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

When Washington was getting hit hard, NY looked like it was being spared.  NY now has 25% of all US cases.  Everything that NY failed to do 1-2 weeks ago is what Texas should be doing today.

The really sad thing is, I looked through Abbott’s twitter this morning, and he was talking about Texas prepping for this back at the end of January.   And here we are.  Feels like all they did was discuss it. This was from last week.   

4 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

The Federal Government needs to get something on the books ASAP.

It's quickly snowballing.  I've gotten 3 "how ya doing calls from bankers" and work schedules/supply chain are fucked due to mandatory and self quarantine.

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The really sad thing is, I looked through Abbott’s twitter this morning, and he was talking about Texas prepping for this back at the end of January.   And here we are.  Feels like all they did was discuss it. This was from last week.   

We won gold in the Special Olympics.  It's something.

23 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Lots more testiness today in this forum, and it makes perfect sense. You don't have to be advocating any particular ideological solution to make a pretty solid case that several aspects of "the system" just plain don't work under stress.

Daycare? Or unemployment? Pay your workers? Or lose your business? Hell, 330 million Americans are currently having to make tough choices about something fundamental, and it's a different something for each of us.

Maybe we could dial down on judging each other just a tad. Just a suggestion.

I’m only judging one person currently for being a piece of shit, sir. 

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

This appears to be a reasonable assessment. The short term variation in blood pressure from switching agents may have short term benefits that outweigh long term risks. I wonder how long it would take the body to down regulate ACE 2 receptors however?  This can probably be done over the phone or with a virtual visit with your doctor.  Looks like many people are going with amlodipine instead of their ACE or ARB which aside from some ankle edema, appears to be a cheap and effective alternative.

Amloodipine is one thing I'm taking

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

This appears to be a reasonable assessment. The short term variation in blood pressure from switching agents may have short term benefits that outweigh long term risks. I wonder how long it would take the body to down regulate ACE 2 receptors however?  This can probably be done over the phone or with a virtual visit with your doctor.  Looks like many people are going with amlodipine instead of their ACE or ARB which aside from some ankle edema, appears to be a cheap and effective alternative.

I've been using amolodipine for about 2 years.  It's worked well for me.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away