Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The guy giving commentary on that website is an assistant professor in history at some bumfuck institution called "Dixie State Univeristy". I don't give a shit what his thoughts on covid are and neither should anyone else. At least post a better source if you're going to continue fear-mongering. 

• Like 2

Yikes. Per the task force presser "we have a specific number of ventilators in the stockpile. It's in excess of 10,000 ventilators..."

We don't have enough and we won't have enough. "Ordering alot more" won't get them here in time. People are going to die because of the lack of planning and active downplaying by the feds on this during the ramp-up in January when it was just the flu.

• Like 1

Just now, ztejas said:

The guy giving commentary on that website is an assistant professor in history at some bumfuck institution called "Dixie State Univeristy". I don't give a shit what his thoughts on covid are and neither should anyone else. At least post a better source if you're going to continue fear-mongering. 

It was based on an analysis by Imperial College London. Are you saying you don't find that credible? All he did was state the facts and added some historical perspective.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Casual Encounter said:

It’s already there. Military personnel have been traveling all over the world with the same simple screening and zero testing upon their return. If everyone was tested right now we’d probably be astonished at the number of people walking around with no clue they have it.

Non essential (at least) Military travel has been halted till May 11 per my son.

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

This.  The decisions (or indecision) by the Texas Governor affect us (or you guys, I'm in Colorado) 100%.  I'm not bashing his political positions or his party.  I'm addressing his idiotic inactions that are going to cause more confirmed cases because local governments are going to go their own way.    They're idiots too.  

Texans come to Colorado.  A lot.  A state can have a magnificent response, but unless they completely close their borders, they will be affected by the lack of response in other states -- especially direct neighbors.  That's why we need a functional federal response to this.  This pandemic is exactly the type of scenario that should be a part of "providing for the common defense" specified in the constitution.  It is a cornerstone of why there is a federal government at all and this pandemic is bigger than what a single state can tackle on its own.

One thing that I hope comes out of this, regardless of who is in control of the government, is that we collectively reflect on these two facts to better safeguard our citizens from all types of threats.

• In under an hour, we can literally destroy any nation that would war against us
  • With 4-6 weeks of forewarning, we could only muster a small fraction of coronavirus testing that South Korea managed in the same time period
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Foosters said:

Can anyone comment on the reports from Japan about the positive results from this "Japanese Flu drug?"  Is this a viable mitigation option worldwide? Is this something that could be rolled out within a short time? Way too soon to even speculate?  Apologies if already discussed.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

I don't think we're supposed to refer to it as that.

5 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Presser:  

• thousands and thousands of ventilators being ordered.  
  • over 10,000 ventilators in the national stockpile 
  • Looking at payments to Americans every month while it’s bad 

Have those ventilators been verified as working? Given the federal government keeps sending expired n95 masks, way fewer than requested by the States, one has to wonder.

On another note, I have seen it incorrectly reported elsewhere. The IRS deadline is still April 15. They are only extending any required payments and penalties 90 days.

Edited by pacman

Dr Brix saying the increases will be massive over the next 4-5 days, because the tests are going to be processed much quicker.  Curve will be normal next week.    They are prioritizing counties with 50+ cases for now.  

Awkward question about why NBA stars and celebs getting tested.  Awkward answer.  

4 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yikes. Per the task force presser "we have a specific number of ventilators in the stockpile. It's in excess of 10,000 ventilators..."

We don't have enough and we won't have enough. "Ordering alot more" won't get them here in time. People are going to die because of the lack of planning and active downplaying by the feds on this during the ramp-up in January when it was just the flu.

you have no idea when ventilators were ordered.  This administration and multiple administrations before this could have ordered a million ventilators but nobody did.  this last 6 weeks isn't the issue

• Like 1

Just now, dcar00 said:

you have no idea when ventilators were ordered.  This administration and multiple administrations before this could have ordered a million ventilators but nobody did.  this last 6 weeks isn't the issue

Well considering as of two months weeks ago this officially was nothing to be concerned about, I'm not real confident that they took steps to plan for a crisis. 

Daughter had planned to go to Ft Lauderdale with 3 other girls.  Had plane tickets and an airbnb that was $600/night.  They were smart enough to bail on that on their own even though the airbnb won't give them a cent back.

Airbnb is offering full refunds for anything booked prior to 3/14.

I’m a first responder in the Northwest Houston area, was just informed someone we ran on Tuesday tested positive, glad everyone was in the right PPE, the exposure was low risk and I was told to self monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

NSIAP: Rice Kinder Institute:  Texas is in 3rd place.  For most inaction to coronavirus

That study is clearly flawed because it doesn't consider all the hours Greg Abbott and Dan Patrick have spent praying about this.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

That shit is never going to change. At least not with wages as stagnant as they are. Maybe if wages stayed current with inflation than people would consider it. But so many can not afford the premium they will pay for American made goods. Or on the flip side, how about dropping the prices of the goods? But we all know that will never happen. So people will stick to the cheaper price. Especially after a crisis like this. They damn sure aren't worried where the product is made. They just want the cheaper price. And that usually is not American made.

The stars are aligned for Mexico to be the alternative to China. It's in our national interest that they become an even bigger cog to our supply chain. I hope AMLO and the US government seize this opportunity and cooperate in tackling the one roadblock that'd prevent it from happening - the cartels.

• Like 5

We can’t talk about the policies being implemented, or not being implemented?  Do you watch sports and yell at people “DON’T TALK ABOUT THE COACHING DECISIONS!” 

If I disagree with the claim that Abbott is a pussy, I suppose I have to go to CR to defend him? I think yes. So why is it okay to make the claim here? It's one thing to talk a out policies, but when you single out politicians as "pussies" etc., that's CR.
  • Like 2

On a go-to-meeting where our IT is explaining to the olds how to work remotely.

"Just because your wifi signal is strong doesn't necessarily mean your internet connection is strong, that would be an issue with your ISP."

"Your ISP is likely Cox or AT&T."

"We can't control how strong your internet is at your home."

Ok, boomer.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

If I disagree with the claim that Abbott is a pussy, I suppose I have to go to CR to defend him? I think yes. So why is it okay to make the claim here? It's one thing to talk a out policies, but when you single out politicians as "pussies" etc., that's CR.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

This is what happens when your governor is too big a pussy to make the call.  What a fucking hack Abbott is.  Can we get that Ohio governor here to call the shots? 

Just to be clear here. He wasn't calling Abbot a pussy because his political affiliation, he called him a pussy because he hesitated on treating CV-19 seriously. More people are going to get sick and potentially DIE because of his indecision and inaction. That should be 100% in-bounds for this thread, and we shouldn't be precious about criticizing decisions that will kill people. If you can't handle big-boy talk about big-boy issues without immediately viewing it through a political lens, you got some growing up to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Daughter had planned to go to Ft Lauderdale with 3 other girls.  Had plane tickets and an airbnb that was $600/night.  They were smart enough to bail on that on their own even though the airbnb won't give them a cent back.

Just texted her and she did confirm that she got a full refund.  They had first asked the property owner for a refund before airbnb made it a policy and were denied.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, BrickTop said:

I’m a first responder in the Northwest Houston area, was just informed someone we ran on Tuesday tested positive, glad everyone was in the right PPE, the exposure was low risk and I was told to self monitor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

We all appreciate you very much. Thank you and hope you are able to stay healthy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

NY has also significantly ramped up testing.  You also have to remember that areas of the NY City metro are the densest in the US.  It makes sense that we would have more cases.  

Also, we have the Hasidic Jewish community that has basically said fuck you to the rules:  https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/17/nyregion/coronavirus-hasidic-weddings-brooklyn.html

The same Hasidic Jews who also refuse to vaccinate...SMDH. The measles outbreak in NYC was linked to their community as well. One of those people went to Israel and brought it back. Ugh.

17 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Why were you fine with a bunch of us praising a Republican governor (Ohio) for acting appropriately and decisively over the past few pages?  None of us called him out for being a Republican just as Abbott’s party affiliation wasn’t brought into play.  

This is not about performance of a political party, but about our leaders.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Just to be clear here. He wasn't calling Abbot a pussy because his political affiliation, he called him a pussy because he hesitated on treating CV-19 seriously. More people are going to get sick and potentially DIE because of his indecision and inaction. That should be 100% in-bounds for this thread, and we shouldn't be precious about criticizing decisions that will kill people. If you can't handle big-boy talk about big-boy issues without immediately viewing it through a political lens, you got some growing up to do.

Fair enough.  I agree with all of your policy points -- we should have been testing in mass volumes weeks ago, and the fact that we aren't shows a failure of leadership.  Policy discussions should absolutely be in bounds, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. 

It's one thing to discuss policy and another thing to single out a particular politician as "a fucking hack," which is what OP did.  We should all want to keep this thread from spiraling into a debate about whether Abbott is a hack, a pussy, etc.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away