Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 hours ago, Sandman said:

Yes, I work for a state agency (not texas). We're so far behind, tech-wise, that it's embarrassing. I have to use Lotus notes for one of my jobs. We just got rid of a DOS option for another. There's a terminal in here that's running Windows 3.1 because the program won't work on newer versions.

You work for state of Louisiana, dontcha?

17 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

If I disagree with the claim that Abbott is a pussy, I suppose I have to go to CR to defend him? I think yes. So why is it okay to make the claim here? It's one thing to talk a out policies, but when you single out politicians as "pussies" etc., that's CR.

Not even close. If you disagree with the idea that Abbott has responded to COVID-19 like a pussy then you explain why his decisions have been good. And you do it right in this thread.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

For about 3 years.  I am especially dilligent when it comes to clothing and accessories.  If it says Made in China, I will not buy it.  I also am diligent with my pet food, treats, and toys.  When I moved to NYC, I even started doing it for furniture and home goods.  

i would say congratulations for doing it that long, shows a commitment to the bit ...what are you doing with regard to electronics?

Edited by NoName

44 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

The good news is that work is still rolling in. 

The bad news is that I’m working from home and the fucking road crew didn’t call Miss Utility and took out the main Verizon line for the entire neighborhood.  Fuckwads. 

ETA: iPad has cellular service so I’m not completely dead in the water. I’m high risk or I’d go rent a hotel room for the day. I have no desire to be in a public place frequented by travelers. 

it's truly amazing this shit STILL happens in 2020. 

Also Mikey, a shitload of us bashed the shit out of Mayor Adler, and you had no problem with that.    These people are making decisions that are currently and drastically affecting our lives.  We avoid the CR threads, because people are defending leaders based on party politics and not actual performance.   When we bash a leader in this thread, it’s because of performance, not ideology.

• Like 1

Just now, NoName said:

it's truly amazing this shit STILL happens in 2020. 

There's an astounding number of fiber cuts in every neighborhood, on every network, on every backbone servicer, and in every ocean. Hell, fishing trawlers and ship anchors regularly sever and damage undersea/intercontinental fiber bundles. Just part of the world we live in 

39 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The guy giving commentary on that website is an assistant professor in history at some bumfuck institution called "Dixie State Univeristy". I don't give a shit what his thoughts on covid are and neither should anyone else. At least post a better source if you're going to continue fear-mongering. 

For what it is worth it isn't the Dixie you are thinking of (I had the same thought)

It is a public university in the "Dixie" region of Utah - located in St George, started by the Morms in 1911, then became part a state school

• Like 1

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Also Mikey, a shitload of us bashed the shit out of Mayor Adler, and you had no problem with that.    These people are making decisions that are currently and drastically affecting our lives.  We avoid the CR threads, because people are defending leaders based on party politics and not actual performance.   When we bash a leader in this thread, it’s because of performance, not ideology.

I didn't read the comment that way, but whatever. I've said my piece.  This is becoming a bigger deal than it should be.

35 minutes ago, Goredho said:
  • With 4-6 weeks of forewarning, we could only muster a small fraction of coronavirus testing that South Korea managed in the same time period

the one thing to note here is that the United State is literally 99x larger in land mass and 6+ x larger in population over that landmass. 

yes they are testing at a VERY high rate, but take some of that into consideration. 

yes, we are screwing this up with regard to the number of tests. 

7 minutes ago, InkaUtexas said:

So the toilet paper fights have a new rival. Food truck being looted in Venezuela. 

I trust the American people will do fine, but the rest of the world is going to be interesting to watch. 

I don't want to live in a world where we can't trust Venezuela to do the right thing. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

the one thing to note here is that the United State is literally 99x larger in land mass and 6+ x larger in population over that landmass. 

yes they are testing at a VERY high rate, but take some of that into consideration. 

yes, we are screwing this up with regard to the number of tests. 

None of which invalidates the basic premise of my post -- we need to radically rethink "defense" at the federal level.

10 minutes ago, Captainant said:

There's an astounding number of fiber cuts in every neighborhood, on every network, on every backbone servicer, and in every ocean. Hell, fishing trawlers and ship anchors regularly sever and damage undersea/intercontinental fiber bundles. Just part of the world we live in 

the difference to me is that the Ocean is a large place?

a neighborhood built in the last 10? 20? years should have some kind of decent map for where to dig and not dig...

i know it is the cost of doing business and i know it happens all the time i'm just shocked it does (still)

Edited by NoName

5 hours ago, Enchubben said:

I put like 20 grocery store plastic bags in my car door storage spot and put my hand in one of those prior to touching the pump/credit card reader. Obviously not perfect, but better than nothing and saves the gloves for a more important lengthy event like a grocery store trip etc. 

Yea wiping the cc down is smart prior to putting it in your pocket or wallet is a good idea as well. Wish you could pay with Apple Pay at every station so I don’t need to use the physical card.

WARNING....the virus is in your phone

The stars are aligned for Mexico to be the alternative to China. It's in our national interest that they become an even bigger cog to our supply chain. I hope AMLO and the US government seize this opportunity and cooperate in tackling the one roadblock that'd prevent it from happening - the cartels.

The Monroe Doctrine FTW, only for manufacturing.
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Fuck Tim Beck said:

So this is awesome. Killeen ISD still plans to resume classes Monday. I saw the superintendents press conference yesterday

and he was asked about social distancing. His answer was basically this is an opportunity for teachers to teach students 

about hygiene and that we need a sense of normalcy. 

This jackass is going to get people killed.  

https://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Largest-area-district-plans-to-resume-classes-Monday-educators-balk-568868281.html

Wish the Governor would step in here because this is a dire matter of public safety. Wonder if this Superintendent is related to the Galveston County judge?

41 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Texans come to Colorado.  A lot.  A state can have a magnificent response, but unless they completely close their borders, they will be affected by the lack of response in other states -- especially direct neighbors.  That's why we need a functional federal response to this.  This pandemic is exactly the type of scenario that should be a part of "providing for the common defense" specified in the constitution.  It is a cornerstone of why there is a federal government at all and this pandemic is bigger than what a single state can tackle on its own.

One thing that I hope comes out of this, regardless of who is in control of the government, is that we collectively reflect on these two facts to better safeguard our citizens from all types of threats.

• In under an hour, we can literally destroy any nation that would war against us
  • With 4-6 weeks of forewarning, we could only muster a small fraction of coronavirus testing that South Korea managed in the same time period

Given that pandemics are by definition global problems, we don't just need a functional federal response but the ability to help respond to outbreaks in other countries too.  Waiting until a pandemic becomes our problem is suicide.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Given that pandemics are by definition global problems, we don't just need a functional federal response but the ability to help respond to outbreaks in other countries too.  Waiting until a pandemic becomes our problem is suicide.

Agreed.

8 minutes ago, NoName said:

For what it is worth it isn't the Dixie you are thinking of (I had the same thought)

It is a public university in the "Dixie" region of Utah - located in St George, started by the Morms in 1911, then became part a state school

Their athletic program is also moving to D1, so expect to see their football team playing in Kyle Field soon.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Goredho said:

None of which invalidates the basic premise of my post -- we need to radically rethink "defense" at the federal level.

not trying to invalidate what you said. just saying that even if we were doing it very, very well the odds of being able to control it at the amount that they have or test anywhere close to the same % of population is basically zero because of how much larger the US is and how much more spread out the population is.

i agree with you.

• Like 1

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/99-25-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says/ar-BB11mr4X

spacer.png

The new study could provide insight into why Italy’s death rate, at about 8% of total infected people, is higher than in other countries.

The Rome-based institute has examined medical records of about 18% of the country’s coronavirus fatalities, finding that just three victims, or 0.8% of the total, had no previous pathology. Almost half of the victims suffered from at least three prior illnesses and about a fourth had either one or two previous conditions.

More than 75% had high blood pressure, about 35% had diabetes and a third suffered from heart disease.

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

not trying to invalidate what you said. just saying that even if we were doing it very, very well the odds of being able to control it at the amount that they have or test anywhere close to the same % of population is basically zero because of how much larger the US is and how much more spread out the population is.

i agree with you.

Apologies for bristling.

Just now, Don Johnson said:

Well if high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart disease are aggravating factors, I don't think we're going to be doing much better than Italy. Especially considering nearly 40% of americans over the age of 20 are medically obese, which is one hell of a widespread comorbidity condition

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Mikey4 said:

Fair enough.  I agree with all of your policy points -- we should have been testing in mass volumes weeks ago, and the fact that we aren't shows a failure of leadership.  Policy discussions should absolutely be in bounds, and I didn't mean to suggest otherwise. 

It's one thing to discuss policy and another thing to single out a particular politician as "a fucking hack," which is what OP did.  We should all want to keep this thread from spiraling into a debate about whether Abbott is a hack, a pussy, etc.

You’re the only one doing that. Just shut up and let the conversation move on. 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away