Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

34 minutes ago, Prepuce of Doom said:

Someone needs to print this out (legal sized and landscape in order to fit that fat fucking face) and affix it to neighborhood utility poles, USPS mailboxes, and the front door of that store. 

You know that we now have this thing called the internet that can disseminate info more quickly than postings on telephone poles?  

They would have to hire a shit ton of more people to do nothing but fill order carts. Would certainly help those that have become recently unemployed. 
They are actually doing that now.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/article/H-E-B-jobs-texas-houston-time-of-need-coronavirus-15134592.php

Not hard to train them in filling orders.

11 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Not really. You just get the cashiers and baggers to do it. 

Na that's not even remotely enough people to fulfill all of the orders they would have on hand if they are only doing curbside pickup.

1 hour ago, Constant said:

We have had any and all scheduled leave canceled. Not long before we go to 12hrs/7 days a week shift. 

Two quick questions:

has there been any training provided to allow for a police officer to work overtime and still be coherent enough to make it back to their own domicile between shift?

and will the exhaustion shootings count as corona related deaths?

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 1

It's so surreal walking around downtown (I live in a small town just outside Charlotte). All bars and restaurants are closed, we have a bottle shop about two miles from our house and you can still buy beer to go but it's just an odd feeling walking around knowing you could contract Covid and not even know it. It's like some invisible enemy you can't see. Just no words

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

1 minute ago, dad said:

Na that's not even remotely enough people to fulfill all of the orders they would have on hand if they are only doing curbside pickup.

I don't know. I think it would be close. If you work there and know exactly where everything is and have a list in front of you you're going to be way more efficient than people being looky loos and mozying around. 

But I'm rarely in an HEB anymore. They may have less staff typically than I think. 

16 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Law enforcement, correct?  

Is this just a precautionary measure?

Yeah. 

It is to ensure we have enough manpower on the streets as we start getting sick ourselves. No days off at all with 12 hr shifts. I believe it’s only been done once before during the Cowboys Super Bowl riots in ‘94, I think. 

• Like 2

“The governor traveled to Arlington Wednesday to discuss the situation unfolding at the Texas Masonic Retirement Center after a resident infected with the virus, 77-year-old Patrick James, died early Monday.

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott says the residents of an Arlington Masonic home where a man infected with COVID-19 lived will be tested for the deadly contagion.“

My grandmother lives here. Fun.

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I don't know. I think it would be close. If you work there and know exactly where everything is and have a list in front of you you're going to be way more efficient than people being looky loos and mozying around. 

But I'm rarely in an HEB anymore. They may have less staff typically than I think. 

Any person with a half a brain should pick up the lay out in a couple of orders 

Jake Tapper of CNN, after seeing kids party in Florida during this week’s spring break, called them all nitwits. I applaud him temporarily dropping all journalistic reporting standards to say what needed to be said.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm guessing average grocery shopping even knowing the goods is a very min of 10-15 minutes for a lighter order.

At 5ish rough guess of 5-7 checkers with 2-4 people in each line not including self check. So we'll call it 6 and 3. 

18 people in line ONLY. On the low end that's 180 minutes or 3 hours worth of shopping for 1 moment in time. 

It doesn't include check out time, the wait in line, people in store or taking groceries to a car.

What if you put people in designated areas? Order comes through, they just get whatever is on the list and check it off. Put it in a staging area. Other employees make the rounds collecting from them. That probably shaves the time in half, at least. No need to check out - transaction has already been made. Maybe 2-3 people to collect cash payments. 

Optimally it would be super efficient. Obviously it would be a pain in the ass to implement all of those steps/processes, though. 

My family has been completely quarantined for 6 days. We have daily mandated (by me) 'outside time' for the kids which is just a bunch of complaining about wanting to play fortnite. Today we were suffering during outside time and across the cove, there were probably 50-80 college aged kids going apeshit partying at a house. I am not going to lie, I was more jealous than dissapointed. But also, fuck them for having fun and probably spreading herpes like wildfire 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm not against your idea, I've just worked with supply chain and humans most of my life.

Oh sure, I think that's what I was getting at with my last line. In theory it would be easy. But given the average HEB employee (no offense, I'm sure they're great people) you'd need to hire at least 1.5x the amount of people that it would require optimally. And I'm all for it, Lord knows millions of Americans are about to lose their jobs. 

That ‘without comment’ article well sums up my thoughts and I’m surprised no one said anything about it.  Short term shutdowns, massive ramping in testing, serious preparations for an overloading of the healthcare infrastructure and enforcement of rules to keep people from spreading it all make sense to me.  

But Kansas canceling school for the rest of the year right now?  With testing so severely limited I feel like it’s a little premature to make massive long term changes that will have massive long term impacts to thousands of children who will forever be stunted in their development.  

The rapid shutdown is a couple weeks late and absolutely critical...to buying time to fully understand what treatments can blunt lethality and handle an incredibly serious surge in sick people.  Talk of keeping it shutdown until the fall strikes me as a bit too much and we reach a point where global impacts to the way of life surpass the benefit to those susceptible to it.  

I’ll get Greenspointed but I agreed with a lot of that statnews link.  

• Fuck You 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Wait. You stole your parents medicine after you had then lie to get a scrip? 

This seems sane. 

No.  I received a legitimate prescription from a physician where I live for off label use of chloroquine.  The doc takes this bug and what's happening very seriously and understood the rationale we discussed and supported my request.  I got my scrip filled where I live.  I gave my elderly folks information and they approached their PCP who also understood the rationale and gave them a prescription to hold and to use ONLY in event they get sick with presumed coronavirus.  Yes there are potential side effects of and drug interactions with chloroquine and you should only take it with oversight from a physician.  I took 500mg/d for 5 days in a row last week starting on the first day I noticed my airways were getting constricted.  It seemed to halt the progression and 72 hours later I felt better.  So far my lungs haven't turned to glass and I seem ok.  I can't confirm yet whether I even had coronavirus.  But I'm in a regional hot spot, I had 3 nights of sweats and chills, restricted breathing, and had rapid onset heaviness down in the middle of my lungs/chest.  I had a single episode of diarrhea 2-3 days before the respiratory symptoms started, which one study out of China reports happened in 50% of cases of covid-19 in their study.  A thin watery nasal drip started about a day before the airways got involved.  I think I got it from my kid week before last who has also had upper airway and chest involvement that's just now clearing up . The classroom teacher fell out with sickness Tuesday last week, same time my symptoms ramped up.

Malaria prophylaxis is one tab (500mg) once per week.  So the dose being used in other countries for covid is notably higher.  It's also why the pharmacist was asking a lot of questions.  I had to visit and contact about 4 different pharmacies to find a small quantity.  When I got to final pharmacy they said they couldn't find it.  Supposedly finally found it in the "expired meds" bin.  Then couldn't fulfill it because I wasn't registered in their system.  It was like they were trying to find any reason to not fill it.  I was feeling the symptoms coming on and didn't have much patience for having to explain at that point.

23 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Wife just told me about the HEB lady posted upthread. 

"She's getting death threats now"

"Good.  Fuck that bitch."

Can someone cliff notes this?  I leave this thread for a few hours and it's dozens of pages further along.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

But I'm in a regional hot spot, I had 3 nights of sweats and chills, restricted breathing, and had rapid onset heaviness down in the middle of my lungs/chest.  I had a single episode of diarrhea 2-3 days before the respiratory symptoms started, which one study out of China reports happened in 50% of cases of covid-19 in their study.  A thin watery nasal drip started about a day before the airways got involved.

Spot on with what I had, minus the fever, but I'm always burning up.

"I have never been able to properly explain myself in this climate."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Can someone cliff notes this?  I leave this thread for a few hours and it's dozens of pages further along.

Just now, Post Oak said:

Yep. I need this energy

Lady posts on FB that HEB is just fine, everything is ok because she was there and there was inventory and no crowd. Gets called out that she had tested positive for corona prior. Lady starts trickling out qualifiers and gets called out on each one until she finished it with "I stayed in the car." But she's obviously lying about staying in the car. People are angry and now she claims she is getting threatened.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away