Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

46 minutes ago, Redmen62 said:

Here in Canada, despite schools being closed etc court has been running essentially as usual up until now. While most people are working from home, while we're still working in courtrooms that are shoulder to shoulder in some cases. And courts do not tend to bring in healthy people in the first place. 

Yeah, we all know that lawyers are disgusting individuals.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

where you seeing that?  I'm reading differently.

Note that says local cases

China, where the virus first emerged, reported no new domestic cases on Thursday for the first time since it started recording numbers in January.

But it reported 34 new cases among people recently returned to China.

South Korea saw a jump in new cases on Thursday with 152, though it is not clear how many were imported.

A new cluster there is centred on a nursing home in Daegu, where 74 patients have tested positive.

On Wednesday, Singapore reported 47 new infections - of which 33 were imported, including 30 residents who had been infected abroad and brought the infection back.

In China, there were eight more deaths, all in the central province of Hubei and most of them in Wuhan.

All three countries had been showing success in controlling domestic cases, but there is concern that increases elsewhere could unravel their progress.

@danajaybein wrote Coronavirus Rhapsody: BISMILLAH WE WILL NOT WASH YOUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS!)

Coronavirus Rhapsody:

Is this a sore throat?

Is this just allergies?

Caught in a lockdown

No escape from reality.

Don’t touch your eyes

Just hand sanitize quicklyyyyy

I’m just a poor boy, no job security

Because of easy spread, even though

washed your hands, laying low

I look out the window, the curve doesn’t look flatter to me, to me

mama, just killed a man

i didn’t stay inside in bed

I walked by him, now he’s dead

mama, life was so much fun

but now I’ve caught this unforgiving plague

mama, oooooh

didn’t mean to make them die

if I’m not back to work this time tomorrow

carry on, carry on as if people didn’t matter

Dana Jay Bein (#DJB)

@danajaybein

·

10h

oo late, my time has come

sends shivers down my spine

body’s aching all the time

goodbye everybody, I’ve got the flu

gotta leave you all behind and face the truth

mama, oooooh

I don’t wanna die

I sometimes wish I never went out at all

I see a little silhouette of a man

what a douche, what a douche

did he even wash his hands though

security is tightening

very very frightening me

Gotta lay low (gotta lay low)

Gotta lay low (gotta lay low)

Gotta lay low masturbate

Masturbate O O O O

I’m just a poor boy, facing mortality

HE’S JUST A POOR BOY FACING MORTALITY

spare him his life from this monstrosity

Touch your face, wash your hands, will you wash your hands?

BISMILLAH NO WE WILL NOT WASH OUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS!)

BISMILLAH NO WE WILL NOT WASH  OUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS)

BISMILLAH WE WILL NOT WASH YOUR HANDS! (WASH YOUR HANDS!)

WASH YOUR HANDS! (never, never, never wash your hands oh oh oh oh oh oh oh)

No no no no no

Oh mama mia, mia (mama mia wash your hands!)

COVID-19 has a sickness put aside for me, for me

So you think you can stop me and just shake my hand?

So you think we can hang out and not break our plans?

Oh baby, can’t do this with me, baby,

Just gotta stay home, just gotta stay home with my fever

oooooh

Curving can get flatter

Anyone can see

Curving can get flatter

Curving can get flatter, you’ll see

Just look out your windows….

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Things change so quickly with this whole pandemic, it's hard to keep up.  I've been an inpatient internal medicine physician for nearly 20 year (also not an OU grad). My community hospital has been one of the, if not the most affected by corona virus in Northern California.  The change in our workday from just 2.5 weeks ago is like night and day.  While there is a tremendous amount of angst, it's also been a revelation to see how the colleagues we've known and at times taken for granted for years have stepped up to take care of patients at risk of their own health.  Obviously nurses and doctors, but folks like transporters and folks who clean the rooms and deliver food go about their days, doing their jobs, often hands on with zero complaints.  Testing in our area has been problematic, but I think they are ramping up.  Availability of PPE is a looming problem.  We've really started to ration - tremendously.  Hospital also had several negative pressure isolation rooms, which when needed were most often used to keep patients isolated who were being tested for TB.  They create several more, almost overnight by putting up plexiglass partitions and portable air filtration systems.  That capacity was swamped very quickly.  It's not exactly comforting to know you are perhaps not as protected as could be, but you do the best you can.   Beyond running out of vents and PPE, I lose sleep over the thought of colleagues getting ill and having to take time off.  We are not staffed for this...at all.  If a few people get sick and the flood gates of infected people open up, it's gonna get ugly fast.  I think I work in a bubble however, of very heavy burden of this illness.  Fortunately I work for a goliath of west coast heath care and hope they have the resources to protect us as best as can be expected.   

I feel for all those affected by the economy.  Sounds like a lot of people are losing work and don't have the financial wherewithall to survive this the way I do.  Unfortunately, I've got all the work I can handle.    

Its incredible work you are doing.  this post got me thinking, we need a medical national guard plan.  doctors and full RN's would be tough obviously but there has to be a way to train people to do some of the lower level stuff an RN does as well as general hospital/triage staff(i'm not trying to minimize what they do at all). We probably need them as much as traditional national guard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

The combination of which antivirals, for one.  I'll look for the pair in India that had some apparent success too.  

Edit:  some are rare and others may still be in clinical trials (overseas options)...so a combo of multiple may not have been tried in the countries where they're having a bad breakdown.  

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coronavirus/Flu-HIV-drug-mixture-helps-treat-coronavirus-Thai-doctors-say

Got really depressed today thinking of all the people in the food service, travel, and hospitality industries (as well as the oil & gas industry) facing financial ruin.  My heart goes out to them and it would not surprise me to see a spike in suicides this year.

It sucks. I’m in travel(dad runs a charter/school bus operation). While our 4 charter buses will be idle until summer likely, they’re paid for. Thank god.

We have a school bus contract with our local school district so we’ll be able to pay our drivers their normal pay at months end. Some of the major charter only company’s are going to take mass hits...especially if they’re sitting on $5-7k monthly payments. A new motor coach costs between 5-600 grand. The School bus contract is our crutch and always has been

• Like 1

My wife was on a Zoom tonight with her Mom Squad. I was in the same room while they were talking. One of the women is a smoking hot dermatologist. I’d post a pic if I had one. Anyway, she said they prescribe chloroquine or whatever it’s called for lupus patients. Now there’s an overnight shortage on the drug because doctors, particularly ER doctors, have started prescribing it to each other as a prophylactic. They’re doing it because it works. Whoever manufactures that shit needs to fucking ramp up, asap. 

Edited by closetojumping

My wife was on a Zoom tonight with her Mom Squad. I was in the same room while they’re were talking. One of the women is a smoking hot dermatologist. I’d post a pic if I had one. Anyway, she said they prescribe chloroquine or whatever it’s called for lupus patients. Now there’s an overnight shortage on the drug because doctors, particularly ER doctors, have started prescribing it to each other as a prophylactic. They’re doing it because it works. Whoever manufactures that shit needs to fucking ramp up, asap. 

Could you try Facebook or insta to find a pic?
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Things change so quickly with this whole pandemic, it's hard to keep up.  I've been an inpatient internal medicine physician for nearly 20 year (also not an OU grad). My community hospital has been one of the, if not the most affected by corona virus in Northern California.  The change in our workday from just 2.5 weeks ago is like night and day.  While there is a tremendous amount of angst, it's also been a revelation to see how the colleagues we've known and at times taken for granted for years have stepped up to take care of patients at risk of their own health.  Obviously nurses and doctors, but folks like transporters and folks who clean the rooms and deliver food go about their days, doing their jobs, often hands on with zero complaints.  Testing in our area has been problematic, but I think they are ramping up.  Availability of PPE is a looming problem.  We've really started to ration - tremendously.  Hospital also had several negative pressure isolation rooms, which when needed were most often used to keep patients isolated who were being tested for TB.  They create several more, almost overnight by putting up plexiglass partitions and portable air filtration systems.  That capacity was swamped very quickly.  It's not exactly comforting to know you are perhaps not as protected as could be, but you do the best you can.   Beyond running out of vents and PPE, I lose sleep over the thought of colleagues getting ill and having to take time off.  We are not staffed for this...at all.  If a few people get sick and the flood gates of infected people open up, it's gonna get ugly fast.  I think I work in a bubble however, of very heavy burden of this illness.  Fortunately I work for a goliath of west coast heath care and hope they have the resources to protect us as best as can be expected.   

I feel for all those affected by the economy.  Sounds like a lot of people are losing work and don't have the financial wherewithall to survive this the way I do.  Unfortunately, I've got all the work I can handle.    

Fight the good fight, doc.  Seriously -- you are the tip of the spear here.  Don't think that you, and all of those around you, aren't appreciated like hell.  I promise, when this is over, it's gonna be a long time before any medical professional has to pay for a drink when I'm around.

Go do good.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

My wife was on a Zoom tonight with her Mom Squad. I was in the same room while they were talking. One of the women is a smoking hot dermatologist. I’d post a pic if I had one. Anyway, she said they prescribe chloroquine or whatever it’s called for lupus patients. Now there’s an overnight shortage on the drug because doctors, particularly ER doctors, have started prescribing it to each other as a prophylactic. They’re doing it because it works. Whoever manufactures that shit needs to fucking ramp up, asap. 

We’re going to take a beating over the next month, but I genuinely think we’re going to turn this around faster than than expected without long term shelter in place measures.  

Anyway, she said they prescribe chloroquine or whatever it’s called for lupus patients. Now there’s an overnight shortage on the drug because doctors, particularly ER doctors, have started prescribing it to each other as a prophylactic. They’re doing it because it works. Whoever manufactures that shit needs to fucking ramp up, asap.

Hydroxychloroquine is commonly used for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, among others.

I take it myself (for an approved indication) and I’m optimistic about the data supporting its use, yet also a bit concerned that there could quickly be a nationwide shortage. We have lots of drug shortages under normal circumstances and this one doesn’t have a good alternative.

1 hour ago, tx 3 putt said:

the spice has to flow !!!!

No doubt. A friend of mine was saying that NYC has to end alternate side parking if they implement shelter in place. I'm like no they don't. They can ticket your car if you leave it or you if you go move it. Its a gold mine. 

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

The Chinese Olympic Rowing/Kayaking/Canoeing teams were training on the Brazos River in Waco from Nov14-Dec8.   Waco was the #2 tourist destination in America for the past 2 years thanks to Chip&JoJo.  Why not just drop a weaponized  off in the most unsuspecting place on earth right before Christmas then head home!   

i read the article i think you're referring to but that article was wrong.  waco's NOT the #2 tourist destination in america.... it was named #2 in some trip advisor rising cities list they did.

Waco has been named the No. 2 travel destination for 2018 in TripAdvisor's Travelers' Choice awards for Destinations on the Rise.

TripAdvisor is a travel site that provides reviews and prices for locations around the world. 

This award recognizes 44 destinations around the world selected by a year-over-year increase in positive reviews on the site.

Waco was ranked for major attractions such as the Dr. Pepper Museum, the Waco Mammoth National Monument, the Brazos River, Texas Ranger Hall of Fame and Museum and prominence of HGTV stars Chip and Joanna Gaines.

The top ten list includes: 

1. Kapaa, Hawaii
  2. Waco, Texas
  3. Wilmington, N.C.
  4. Bend, Ore.
  5. Boulder, Colo.
  6. Paso Robles, Calif.
  7. Richmond, Va.
  8. Greenville, S.C.
  9. Omaha, Neb.
  10. Lexington, Ky.

In 2016, TripAdvisor named Waco one of the top 25 Travel Destination with Skyrocketing Interest. The site attributes the surge in tourism to HGTV's "Fixer Upper." Waco was listed as 13 of 25 on the list. 

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

Hydroxychloroquine is commonly used for lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, among others.

I take it myself (for an approved indication) and I’m optimistic about the data supporting its use, yet also a bit concerned that there could quickly be a nationwide shortage. We have lots of drug shortages under normal circumstances and this one doesn’t have a good alternative.

I have multiple pharmacists in my immediate family. They told me it’s already on indefinite backorder

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

waco's NOT the #2 tourist destination in america....

Yeah no shit. Everyone here knows that. 

It's not the #2 tourist destination in Texas. Probably not the #12 tourist destination in Texas. 

Edited by ztejas

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Yeah no shit. Everyone here knows that. 

It's not the #2 tourist destination in Texas. Probably not the #12 tourist destination in Texas. 

actually i would think it's top 5.  you'd be surprised.

5 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

i read the article i think you're referring to but that article was wrong.  waco's NOT the #2 tourist destination in america.... it was named #2 in some trip advisor rising cities list they did.

True.  Point being, 35k people weekly for about 4 years running from all points on the globe.  It would have been an effective cover sending the Olympic rowing team and just dropping it into the system.   That’s how I’d have done it at least.  

Edited by Trey3216

2 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

actually i would think it's top 5.  you'd be surprised.

In terms of what? Dumbass aggy grads flocking there for Chip and Joanna? Or actual quality behind the ratings?

Sure in volume it might be up there because people are fucking stupid, but as far as "top x" anything when it comes to desirability I'd probably rather spend a weekend in Amarillo. 

In terms of what? Dumbass aggy grads flocking there for Chip and Joanna? Or actual quality behind the ratings?
Sure in volume it might be up there because people are fucking stupid, but as far as "top x" anything when it comes to desirability I'd probably rather spend a weekend in Amarillo. 
# of visitors.

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
9 minutes ago, ztejas said:

# of visitors.

I wouldn't even begin to know how that's calculated. I will mention that Waco is directly between Dallas and Austin, which constitute the #1 metro area and #1 destination in the state. 

Edited by ztejas
drunk

7 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I wouldn't even begin to know how that's calculated. I will mention that Waco is directly between Dallas and Austin, which constitute the #1 metro area and #1 destination in the state. 

Well if thats the criteria, a lot of people may hit the highway exit McDonald's. Using that metric, the Joyce Kilmer Service Plaza on the NJ Turnpike is probably the #1 tourist destination in the country. 

Separate incidents?

So @Anastasis, evidently I ordered a case of Fever Tree tonic from Amazon that arrived today.  Don't quite know how that happened...

How many gin and tonics a day to reach equivalent efficacy?  
🤔

Edited by Damor

9 minutes ago, DanTheHorn said:

Smart Thermometer company that tracked the Flu is now using the rise in numbers to predict suspected covid-19 pockets. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/18/health/coronavirus-fever-thermometers.html

Their website is now bookmarked for me. https://healthweather.us/

Will be interesting to see if it tracks.  If it's accurate now, a bunch of Florida is about to blow the fuck up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MissingInAction said:

The lab i support 24/7 has over 1000 pros working on it.

I am available if they forget their passwords.

At least i can say i was a part of it.

They can't forget passwords. They are written on sticky notes stuck to their monitors.

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away