Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

7 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yea, as a 50 year old man this is making me take losing a few pounds much more seriously. Blood pressure is great, no asthma or beedus, but I'm probably 30 lbs over weight. I've been working out and eating better since this all kicked off. 

Shit, everyone should be on a diet right now. Portion control = rationing your supplies, and walking/jogging around the block is the closest thing to activity that we've got.

17 minutes ago, Iceman said:

This.  Hearing of multiple congregations complying and either completely cancelling or doing online service that folks can watch from home.

I was sure my dad was fucked, because I knew he would go to church. But no, a Baptist church in Brenham actually did an online service!

5 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

During Cuomo's speech, CNN showed NY State with over 7500 cases?  Whoa.  Worldometer is only reporting 3,086 for NY and a little over 9k for the whole US. 

Did this thing start exploding overnight?

If it didnt, it will with increased testing and time. Ill be shocked if we dont have 50,000 known cases by next week

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

interesting move, our has gone the exact opposite way - cancelled last Saturday before Sunday service, cancelled for at LEAST the next 2 Sundays (to be reviewed the last week in March) and I expect it to continue. 

Have your preacher/pastor/whatever do a live stream on YouTube.

13 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

During Cuomo's speech, CNN showed NY State with over 7500 cases?  Whoa.  Worldometer is only reporting 3,086 for NY and a little over 9k for the whole US. 

We're finally starting to be able to test

8 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

what I see (and hope) happens is that meds like chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine prove effective as prophylaxis or with early intervention after early detection.  The key will be immediate mass availability of covid testing and production of effective meds.  Positive tests should warrant immediately starting the med and contacts should be considered for prophylaxis.  

long term quarantine ultimately won’t work.  Nature always finds a way.

This.  I've been thinking about long-term planning here.  We can't quarantine forever -- it both won't work, and it will absolutely destroy the global economy.  My initial thoughts on long-term plan, as we start to learn more:

Continue limited lockdown/quarantines for the time-being, as they are the best near-term mechanism to use.

Roll out regular and widely-available testing, both for current infections and past infections (antibody detection).

Hopefully develop prophylaxis/early-detection therapies, so we can reduce the hell out of the hospitalization/death rate.  If we can turn this disease into something with a hospitalization/death rate that looks a whole lot more like a bad flu, then we can probably make the decision to live with that level of risk.

Develop vaccines that can be rolled out.

I'm thinking that this whole process will take around a year.  The whole world is working on this.  We have drug and vaccine capacity on a global basis -- we will need to use it.

Quarantine-limited contact type measures hopefully for no more than another 30-60 days.  Refining treatments and scaling up the availability of testing within that period, so it's available in 30-60 days.  And doing the same with prophylactic treatments.  This is our fucking moonshot.  It's HUMANITY'S moonshot.  Let's get the Eagle to Tranquility base.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

I saw where Taiwan has implemented a 14 day quarantine for all people arriving from abroad.  China is doing a lot of 14 day quarantines but I guess not everywhere for everyone.

what I see (and hope) happens is that meds like chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine prove effective as prophylaxis or with early intervention after early detection.  The key will be immediate mass availability of covid testing and production of effective meds.  Positive tests should warrant immediately starting the med and contacts should be considered for prophylaxis.  

long term quarantine ultimately won’t work.  Nature always finds a way.

My brother lives in Taiwan and said the cases now are from people who have returned to Taiwan from Europe. They shut down any contact with Red China pretty quickly, after the Mainlanders pulled a fast one on Taiwan and one of their flights used to evacuate Taiwanese businessmen from Wuhan.

My nephew came back to the states from Taiwan at the end of February and he said some of the smuggled videos that he saw from Wuhan were horrific. My brother still goes to the office, not every day, but he still goes in.

12 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

If it didnt, it will with increased testing and time. Ill be shocked if we dont have 50,000 known cases by next week

We are already well beyond 50,000 cases.  The vast majority are people that either never knew they had it, or just figured it was the flu and recovered.  This thing has been going on for a few months here, not weeks.  We will never have an accurate number, or even close to one.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Read that.  The two kids were in their 50's and had no underlying conditions.  Shit.

Umm taking a look at that pic and the size of that lady's arms I'm going to disagree that they likely did have underlying conditions related to obesity.

2 hours ago, Loco said:

Flu A, Flu B, syphilis...  whatever.

I have been saying this for a while...  S. Florida is a hub for S America, the cruise industry,  an airline hub for Europe, a massive tourism industry (sorry Waco), home for Snowbirds from the NE (NYC), permanent home for retirees and a Spring Break destination.  Could you ask for a worse scenario?   Florida's response has been piss poor by any metric.  They have delayed and dragged their feet because the economic impact of doing the right thing was untenable given the political climate and the complete lack of a response from the federal government.

....but but but the heat and humidity!

I'm really glad I was just there...

14 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I was sure my dad was fucked, because I knew he would go to church. But no, a Baptist church in Brenham actually did an online service!

My grandparents are members of a small town Church of Christ with an average age of probably close to 70 that I was sure would continue meeting, 100 parishioners strong. I was shocked to learn that they are taking two weeks off and planning on delivering communion on a scheduled one on one basis. Sunday communion is probably the single most important practice for those baptised in the Church of Christ, so I knew that would continue, but to have them cancel service all together is more than I ever expected. I'll take my small victories where I can find them, right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

This.  I've been thinking about long-term planning here.  We can't quarantine forever -- it both won't work, and it will absolutely destroy the global economy.  My initial thoughts on long-term plan, as we start to learn more:

Continue limited lockdown/quarantines for the time-being, as they are the best near-term mechanism to use.

Roll out regular and widely-available testing, both for current infections and past infections (antibody detection).

Hopefully develop prophylaxis/early-detection therapies, so we can reduce the hell out of the hospitalization/death rate.  If we can turn this disease into something with a hospitalization/death rate that looks a whole lot more like a bad flu, then we can probably make the decision to live with that level of risk.

Develop vaccines that can be rolled out.

I'm thinking that this whole process will take around a year.  The whole world is working on this.  We have drug and vaccine capacity on a global basis -- we will need to use it.

Quarantine-limited contact type measures hopefully for no more than another 30-60 days.  Refining treatments and scaling up the availability of testing within that period, so it's available in 30-60 days.  And doing the same with prophylactic treatments.  This is our fucking moonshot.  It's HUMANITY'S moonshot.  Let's get the Eagle to Tranquility base.

Exactly.  All of those longer term phased-in steps are important, not to mention how we adapt globally going forward to anticipate and respond to the next one as it's always lurking just below the surface.

But as of today, full bore chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine with mass testing appears to be THE emerging path to rein this pandemic in within 30-60 days while maintaining strict standards for social distancing.  The rate limiting step is production/availability of meds and tests.  Chloroquine may be a godsend in that it's such a known quantity.  It's been around for 50 something years, has well understood tolerance and safety parameters, has been taken by tens of millions of people, and is inexpensive.  win win win.

11 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Exactly.  All of those longer term phased-in steps are important, not to mention how we adapt globally going forward to anticipate and respond to the next one as it's always lurking just below the surface.

But as of today, full bore chloroquine/hydroxychloroquine with mass testing appears to be THE emerging path to rein this pandemic in within 30-60 days while maintaining strict standards for social distancing.  The rate limiting step is production/availability of meds and tests.  Chloroquine may be a godsend in that it's such a known quantity.  It's been around for 50 something years, has well understood tolerance and safety parameters, has been taken by tens of millions of people, and is inexpensive.  win win win.

It sounds like the dose is much higher for covid than for lupus or RI maintenance. Hopefully they can increase dosage per pill or whatever delivery method without too much hassle, if actual pill production is the limiting step in availability.  While still making correct dosage for previous indications. 
it shouldn’t be patented since it’s so old, so that should also help. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

Maryland is effectively on lockdown. Essential workers only on any form of mass transit. Passengers and workers only at airports. Everyone encouraged to work from home. He shutdown non-essential businesses and relaxed liquor laws.

Heard him speak on Bloomberg a half hour ago. Don't have a link yet.

Just now, VABuckeye said:

Maryland is effectively on lockdown. Essential workers only on any form of mass transit. Passengers and workers only at airports. Everyone encouraged to work from home. He shutdown non-essential businesses and relaxed liquor laws.

Who he?

Just now, VABuckeye said:

What does relax liquor laws mean ?  I like the sound of that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, VABuckeye said:

Other states will follow soon

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

and relaxed liquor laws.

curious what that means.  In all seriousness, a lot of people will end up in physical trouble if access to etoh is abruptly curtailed.  I don't see that exactly happening, but something locales should keep in mind to avoid adding insult to injury.  #flattenthewithdrawalcurve.

Just now, triplehorn said:

curious what that means.  In all seriousness, a lot of people will end up in physical trouble if access to etoh is abruptly curtailed.  I don't see that exactly happening, but something locales should keep in mind to avoid adding insult to injury.  #flattenthewithdrawalcurve.

More like pacify the masses with a drug

• Like 1

1 minute ago, VABuckeye said:

Allowing restaurants bars to sell it as take out.

The City of Tulsa has shut down restaurants but are allowing to-go orders and are allowing container-based alcohol sales with to-go orders if you also order food. I stashed plenty of whisky on Monday so I can withstand an extended quarantine.

48 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Heard on NPR yesterday that there was some kind of backlog of those already tested and that numbers were going to be out of whack even for an exponential curve due to batch reporting...allegedly. 

45 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Shit, everyone should be on a diet right now. Portion control = rationing your supplies, and walking/jogging around the block is the closest thing to activity that we've got.

All good, but the rationing and possibly larger grocery purchases should be in an effort to minimize contact...so eat my friends, grow fat and tasty.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away