Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

We've been self quarantined for over a week now.   Only been out once to go to HEB.   I've lost 10 lbs. 

How much crap was I actually putting in my body

Water weight.

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

Whatever you're doing is valuable. And on the OU topic - I just recently learned my dad's oldest brother went there for law. He's now the general consul at a pretty prominent regional bank. Y'all produce some good ones. At least, the ones that actually attend the university and apply themselves. 

Yeah, every now and then they surprise you. A number of years ago I was partnered with a startup working on smart grid technology. When I first met everyone they explained their tech that was doing energy forecasting and it was pretty damn impressive. Then when I learned that they were all sooners my mind was blown.

Wait, y'all went to Oklahoma and came up with this?

spacer.png

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

It sounds like the dose is much higher for covid than for lupus or RI maintenance. Hopefully they can increase dosage per pill or whatever delivery method without too much hassle, if actual pill production is the limiting step in availability.  While still making correct dosage for previous indications. 
it shouldn’t be patented since it’s so old, so that should also help. 

Chloroquine normally comes in 250 mg tablets. The dose for malaria prophylaxis is normally 500 mg once per week. The doses reported for COVID treatment are mostly 500 mg although some studies are using a 1000 mg loading dose for ~2 days.

Hydroxychloroquine normally comes in 200 mg tablets. The most common dose for autoimmune disease chronic treatment is 200 mg twice daily, although it is ideally dosed based on weight at 5 mg/kg/day. The doses reported for COVID treatment appear to all be 600 mg daily.

Both drugs are generic in the U.S.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

BREAKING: The State Department will tell Americans abroad to return home or prepare to shelter in place, applying its strongest travel advisory amid a global pandemic.

yeah. Level 4. I lived in a few bad places and a few epidemics and never saw this. 

Edited by InkaUtexas

Lhorn, is the goliath of west coast health administering the antiviral cocktails like chitowndoc described is going on in chicago?

The ID docs that I consult with are using Plaquenil. Prior were using Kaletra which was a failure and seemed to cause a lot of diarrhea and bumped LFTs.

As I said previously testing has been a struggle to say the least. Have been 3 days minimum, often significantly longer to get results. Got word yesterday that our own regional lab was going to start doing the testing instead of sending out to Quest or someplace in Utah. Got back a test within 24 hours! This is going to be a (relative) game changer in getting people out of the hospital, out of quarantine and preserving PPE.
  • Like 7

17 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Chloroquine normally comes in 250 mg tablets. The dose for malaria prophylaxis is normally 500 mg once per week. The doses reported for COVID treatment are mostly 500 mg although some studies are using a 1000 mg loading dose for ~2 days.

For malaria treatment (vs phophylaxis) the loading is a lot quicker, 2500 mg over three days.  I bet that's the model many studies are using.

It is an immunosuppressive, so I wouldn't recommend just chomping one down right now.

Edited by JBJ

37 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

What does relax liquor laws mean ?  I like the sound of that.

If we could just get them to relax the marijuana laws too, we can turn this thing into a real party.

I mean hell, Philly already said small time crime is ok for a little while.

• Like 2

RE: state department order for all Americans to return home or shelter in place.  FURK.

Daughter is flying home from Canada tomorrow around noon.  We were counting on the airports being lightly traveled.  Now, I suspect there's going to be another massive crush, like there was when they announced the Europe travel lockdown.  Was really hoping it wouldn't be a hard travel day for her.  Shit.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Hydroxychloroquine normally comes in 200 mg tablets. The most common dose for autoimmune disease chronic treatment is 200 mg twice daily, although it is ideally dosed based on weight at 5 mg/kg/day. The doses reported for COVID treatment appear to all be 600 mg daily.

so as the drugs are generic, there should be several manufacturers, right?

good news, everyone - Elon is going to solve all the problems because they are so easy to solve and he doesn't have enough on his plate.

they are not difficult to produce evidently. 

our savior has just now noticed that this is a problem and he can solve it! /s

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, wild_turkey said:

Is there any difference between the two as far as a patient is concerned?

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

RE: state department order for all Americans to return home or shelter in place.  FURK.

Daughter is flying home from Canada tomorrow around noon.  We were counting on the airports being lightly traveled.  Now, I suspect there's going to be another massive crush, like there was when they announced the Europe travel lockdown.  Was really hoping it wouldn't be a hard travel day for her.  Shit.

@Brisketexan, she will be traveling with Americans from canada. Just as long as she says Eh, talks hockey she will be fine. Can she bring me some maple syrup? My daughter used the last of ours this morning. 

All jokes aside, she will be fine and monitored. Of all travel right now that is the best place to come from. Please keep us posted. A lot of us have kids far away and it sucks. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

good news, everyone - Elon is going to solve all the problems because they are so easy to solve and he doesn't have enough on his plate.

Didn't he also say we were overreacting?

2 minutes ago, NoName said:

Suggest we put this ass on a cruise ship with the fucktards from Miami Spring break. A reality show. They can invent a way to get off. We get to shoot at them and keep them on board. 

• Like 1

I've started screen capping the data on the John Hopkins site to better reflect on growth here over time.  3 days ago on 3/16 we had 75 deaths in the US.  Today on 3/19 we have 150 deaths.  Doubled in 3 days and our average seems to fall somewhere between 3 and 5 days for doubling.  If our current measures aren't effective enough to blunt the spread, we could see:

• ~9,600 dead within 30 days if doubling every 5 days
  • ~153,600 dead within 30 days if doubling every 3 days
  • ~153,600 dead within 50 days if doubling every 5 days

Feel free to correct my math if I am wrong.  Hopefully we are doing enough, but the fucking spring breakers make me wonder if it will be so.

covid-us-3-16.png

covid-us-3-19.png

Whoever shared the John Hopkins site initially, thanks.  I just wish they had the ability to scroll the results over time from initial outbreak to now.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, NoName said:

twitter.png

4 minutes ago, jinx said:

If we could just get them to relax the marijuana laws too, we can turn this thing into a real party.

I mean hell, Philly already said small time crime is ok for a little while.

I'm gonna flout the marijuana illegality thing pretty hard today.  Working on a new design for a cool river house.

7 minutes ago, NoName said:

Has he been hiding under a rock the last couple of weeks? 

1 minute ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Has he been hiding under a rock the last couple of weeks? 

no he thinks it isn't a problem and that the panic is a larger issue

Musk has faced criticism over his comments about the ongoing coronavirus pandemic. On March 6, he said in a tweet that the "panic" surrounding the virus was "dumb."'

In a recent email to Tesla workers that was viewed by CNN Business on Wednesday, Musk doubled down: "My frank opinion remains that the harm from the coronavirus panic far exceeds that of the virus itself." 

7 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I've started screen capping the data on the John Hopkins site to better reflect on growth here over time.  3 days ago on 3/16 we had 75 deaths in the US.  Today on 3/19 we have 150 deaths.  Doubled in 3 days and our average seems to fall somewhere between 3 and 5 days for doubling.  If our current measures aren't effective enough to blunt the spread, we could see:

• ~9,600 dead within 30 days if doubling every 5 days
  • ~153,600 dead within 30 days if doubling every 3 days
  • ~153,600 dead within 50 days if doubling every 5 days

Feel free to correct my math if I am wrong.  Hopefully we are doing enough, but the fucking spring breakers make me wonder if it will be so.

covid-us-3-16.png

covid-us-3-19.png

Whoever shared the John Hopkins site initially, thanks.  I just wish they had the ability to scroll the results over time from initial outbreak to now.

Estimate of global numbers if rate curve doesn't flatten:

Those numbers reflect that a lot horses are already out of the barn, but hopefully we do better than that.

• Like 2

At least a few of my local clients have placed 14 day holds on any workers who have traveled domestically.  My entire team is in Irvine, CA on a project now so it seems that we won't be on projects for two weeks after they return if the rest of my clients follow suit.  Ugh.  I don't like having a two week hole in the cash flow of the business.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away