Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 hours ago, Penelope said:

This was one of my friends on Facebook TODAY! #thankyoucorona for actually getting people to be clean. #yourfuckingstupid for acting like ants when it’s not that bad. Damn the flu kills more than this “pandemic” virus
I commented with “you’re a fucking idiot” and then de friended him

Pro tip: delete Facebook and never look back. Stop playing stupid games, stop winning stupid prizes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I've started screen capping the data on the John Hopkins site to better reflect on growth here over time.  3 days ago on 3/16 we had 75 deaths in the US.  Today on 3/19 we have 150 deaths.  Doubled in 3 days and our average seems to fall somewhere between 3 and 5 days for doubling.  If our current measures aren't effective enough to blunt the spread, we could see:

• ~9,600 dead within 30 days if doubling every 5 days
  • ~153,600 dead within 30 days if doubling every 3 days
  • ~153,600 dead within 50 days if doubling every 5 days

Feel free to correct my math if I am wrong.  Hopefully we are doing enough, but the fucking spring breakers make me wonder if it will be so.

covid-us-3-16.png

covid-us-3-19.png

Whoever shared the John Hopkins site initially, thanks.  I just wish they had the ability to scroll the results over time from initial outbreak to now.

You only went back to 3/16 to get your doubling. Go back to 3/2. The data you’re looking for is on the worldometer site. It’s not perfect, but stays relatively close to other sources.

2 minutes ago, The People’s Elbow said:

Pro tip: delete Facebook and never look back. Stop playing stupid games, stop winning stupid prizes. 

Did this about 5 years ago and probably added several months back of free time.

So the playground where my daughter likes to go has been overrun with homeless... likely at least 10 there so hopefully the gov't will come arrest them.

1 minute ago, ZB'Tejas said:

So the playground where my daughter likes to go has been overrun with homeless... likely at least 10 there so hopefully the gov't will come arrest them.

I'm sure they're all following the CDC recommendations and are very sanitary

24 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

The ID docs that I consult with are using Plaquenil. Prior were using Kaletra which was a failure and seemed to cause a lot of diarrhea and bumped LFTs.

As I said previously testing has been a struggle to say the least. Have been 3 days minimum, often significantly longer to get results. Got word yesterday that our own regional lab was going to start doing the testing instead of sending out to Quest or someplace in Utah. Got back a test within 24 hours! This is going to be a (relative) game changer in getting people out of the hospital, out of quarantine and preserving PPE.

There's a metric shitton of patients who were positive flu the last 3 weeks and just sent out to the community...many of those are positive COVID for sure.  Studies show that you may be positive for both.  But I am hearing what you are hearing...access to lab testing MUCH improved and the ID docs are having some good luck with antiviral cocktails...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Goredho said:

I've started screen capping the data on the John Hopkins site to better reflect on growth here over time.  3 days ago on 3/16 we had 75 deaths in the US.  Today on 3/19 we have 150 deaths.  Doubled in 3 days and our average seems to fall somewhere between 3 and 5 days for doubling.  If our current measures aren't effective enough to blunt the spread, we could see:

Feel free to correct my math if I am wrong.  Hopefully we are doing enough, but the fucking spring breakers make me wonder if it will be so.

Whoever shared the John Hopkins site initially, thanks.  I just wish they had the ability to scroll the results over time from initial outbreak to now.

You can try here:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

They have handy dandy linear and log charts for cases and deaths over time....

• Like 1

covid-us-3-16.png

covid-us-3-19.png

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com

This one has day by day results on a graph

1 minute ago, Hank_Hill said:

Friend works in City management up in DFW area, said they had a meeting today. Expect an Abbot announcement in the next hour or so placing more strict regulations regarding quarantine.

Is dipshit going to end the atrocity that is Galveston/South Padre Island?  Seriously

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Digdogger said:

I'm sure they're all following the CDC recommendations and are very sanitary

Funny story is I was out there with her a few months ago and there is a porta potty that we do not use for obvious reasons... so when she needed to pee I had her squat behind a tree and a homeless women came up and told me that was nasty... wtf? haha

Just now, ChiTownDoc said:

Do you plan to leave your basement in Austria?  I mean you never leave...but I thought curiosity might get the best of you.  

I've delivered several children/grandchildren down here, we'll be fine.  We're not coming out

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Is dipshit going to end the atrocity that is Galveston/South Padre Island?  Seriously

Time to roll over those defiant ruhtards trying to get their own residents killed 

Edited by Js1

I read somewhere else that China was planning to start basketball games again I think at the end of this month. I'm just wondering how that can even be possible as long as people are still getting infected. I read that they closed their temporary hospitals but I never trust any news or figures that come from there.

Enviado desde mi SM-G973U mediante Tapatalk

Apaga tu Tapasig.

I am truly appalled by the response by my company. Still scheduling elderly for evals, basically telling us to keep scheduling people because “it’s a safe space!” How the fuck do you know this is a safe space, do you have some sort of virus-vision I’m not aware of? Husband and I discussed letting them know I wasn’t comfortable coming on and having patients come in. Decided we can’t afford for them to fire me right now, so just going with the flow until a decision comes. I have no doubt that upper management would want to maybe even let me go for calling patients, but my conscience is clear.  
It'd be a shame if the local news found out that they were exposing patients and staff to unnecessary risk.
  • Like 2

Just now, ChickenSandwich said:

Any truth to this??

Talking head just said a bunch of American companies had contracts and orders for medical supplies that were broken and kept by the Chinese government for their own use?

VA DFW was running out of surgical gowns last week because of this so I wouldnt be surprised.

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Friend works in City management up in DFW area, said they had a meeting today. Expect an Abbot announcement in the next hour or so placing more strict regulations regarding quarantine.

I read this morning we've only run 238 tests total in DFW area (including surrounding counties).   Fucking 238.  How pathetic is that?  We've been bitching about lack of testing on this thread for over 3 weeks now and that's all we've managed to accomplish.  What a joke.  So we still have zero idea how bad it is here.  At least 1/4 of those results were received yesterday but 66 tests per day aint going to cut it.

I know it's a mix of Federal/State and Local fucking this up but it's really an embarrassment Texas hasn't been able to figure this out on par with other states.    The feds got us into this mess, but state leadership has been a joke.

• Like 1

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

It seems like we are handling this well and the amount of cases, while increasing, should be blunted in the coming week or two. This thing is over by mid-April? Or will we still quarantine on the backside of the curve? 

The back end is just as dangerous when people think it is all cool to head out and be dumbasses. 

8 minutes ago, ZB'Tejas said:

Funny story is I was out there with her a few months ago and there is a porta potty that we do not use for obvious reasons... so when she needed to pee I had her squat behind a tree and a homeless women came up and told me that was nasty... wtf? haha

Well, yeah.  Your daughter peed in her reading room.   

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any truth to this??

Talking head just said a bunch of American companies had contracts and orders for medical supplies that were broken and kept by the Chinese government for their own use?

It's almost like now may not be the best time to publicly shame China every possible opportunity as we've all seen the last few days.   You know, considering they absolutely have us by the fucking balls with respect to needed medical supplies and drugs. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skipper said:

It's almost like now may not be the best time to publicly shame China every possible opportunity as we've all seen the last few days.   You know, considering they absolutely have us by the fucking balls with respect to needed medical supplies and drugs. 

So what? We bend over and take it. They deserve to be called out. Fuck them. They caused this entire situation. You dont want to call that out because it might hurt their feelings? If they fuck with us, we adjust accordingly going forward. And we will. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Skipper said:

Every American corporation should be taxed until the point they are incintivized to move manufacturing back to North America. 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

It seems like we are handling this well and the amount of cases, while increasing, should be blunted in the coming week or two. This thing is over by mid-April? Or will we still quarantine on the backside of the curve? 

Wait, where's this data?  I hope you're right, but is this just wishful thinking on your part?

Just now, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So what? We bend over and take it. They deserve to be called out. Fuck them. They caused this entire situation. You dont want to call that out because it might hurt their feelings? If they fuck with us, we adjust accordingly going forward. And we will. 

Problem is, we won't.  They'll dangle a few dollars in front of us and we'll act like little bitches.  I hope I'm wrong but South Park did an entire episode on it and it wasn't far off.

1 hour ago, Post Oak said:

We've been self quarantined for over a week now.   Only been out once to go to HEB.   I've lost 10 lbs. 

How much crap was I actually putting in my body

I've lost 3 lbs since Friday and I'm confident I'm eating way more than before. The difference is I haven't eaten out once. I haven't even exercised once.

7 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

Nvrmnd

Edited by Foosters

1 minute ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

You seem really bright, unemotional and not easily swayed by rhetoric, so I'm sure you have a well thought out strategy as to how we manage to source all of the shit we need (immediately) if China were to completely cut us off.  Thanks in advance.

• Like 6

A rumor is going around that they're going to close even grocery for two weeks. I really don't believe it, but the wife does, and it's enough to have just kicked off a nice little spat in our house about whether this rumor warrants rushing out to buy fresh produce before the stores close. Fuck you, quarantine.

On a separate note, we lived in Seattle for several years and have good friends up there. One of our friends has been posting updates about a friend they know who tested positive on the 14th. He's 34, and got on a ventilator really early bc they haven't been overwhelmed yet. He died today. Fuck.

16 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any truth to this??

I mean, fuck China, but do you blame them? I don’t know if the information they’re passing, regarding their own numbers are true, but it’s our own fucking fault for being so dependent on them. They may still be balls deep in this shit or it could ramp up again. All bets are off on international trade right now.

8 minutes ago, The_Great_Hornsby said:

So are we just gonna quarantine until we have a vaccine or a viable treatment option? I mean that could go on for many months

Id bet 20%, maybe more of us on here have it or have already had it. At this point its almost better to go no quarantine and let the chips fall where they may. We have already treaded into no-mans land at this point. The healthcare system is going to be overrun in a week no matter what we do

2 minutes ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

A rumor is going around that they're going to close even grocery for two weeks. I really don't believe it, but the wife does, and it's enough to have just kicked off a nice little spat in our house about whether this rumor warrants rushing out to buy fresh produce before the stores close. Fuck you, quarantine.

On a separate note, we lived in Seattle for several years and have good friends up there. One of our friends has been posting updates about a friend they know who tested positive on the 14th. He's 34, and got on a ventilator really early bc they haven't been overwhelmed yet. He died today. Fuck.

What kind of health was he in though?  Was he overweight or did he have pre-existing conditions?

5 minutes ago, texashorne said:

Every American corporation should be taxed until the point they are incintivized to move manufacturing back to North America. 

So while the economy is in shambles, your strategy is imposing a tax.  Ok.  And that will somehow ramp up production levels on medical supplies and drugs we're going to run out of in the next few weeks while our hospitals are at (or over) capacity?  Makes sense.....

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Id bet 20%, maybe more of us on here have it or have already had it. At this point its almost better to go no quarantine and let the chips fall where they may. We have already treaded into no-mans land at this point. The healthcare system is going to be overrun in a week no matter what we do

You're starting to come around.

What kind of health was he in though?  Was he overweight or did he have pre-existing conditions?
I honestly don't know the guy or much about him. I just know when they first shared about it, the outlook was that he's young and not in the at risk group so no one seemed concerned he wouldn't be able to get through it with treatment at the hospital.

29 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any truth to this??

That sounds right.  But even the Italians were promised help by the EU then were given nothing or much less than what was promised.  So if the EU is fucking over Italy...it would actually surprise me if China did not pull one over on us.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
engrish
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away