Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

My guess is that the original plan for Cruise Ships, or even hotels, would be to use those NOT for COVID-19 patients but to use it for other "normal" hospital type of cases, or cases needing less acute medical care.   

Hotels are also being used for staff so they don’t have to go home and potentially infect their families.
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

The thing I like about cruise ships, in regards to potential temporary hospitals, is they are already set up for individual rooms, multiple sources of electrical power, and can be relocated to specific areas of the country. It’s a very good option to have in your file of resources.

And when shit gets ugly, you can sink them!

A rumor is going around that they're going to close even grocery for two weeks. I really don't believe it, but the wife does, and it's enough to have just kicked off a nice little spat in our house about whether this rumor warrants rushing out to buy fresh produce before the stores close. Fuck you, quarantine.

On a separate note, we lived in Seattle for several years and have good friends up there. One of our friends has been posting updates about a friend they know who tested positive on the 14th. He's 34, and got on a ventilator really early bc they haven't been overwhelmed yet. He died today. Fuck.
Public not panic buying enough, let's start a great rumor to really get the juices flowing.

While China certainly didn't act perfectly with regard to the virus, saying another country "caused this entire situation" is over the top. The virus caused it, not the country. China didn't cause SARS2-Cov anymore than we caused H1N1. Their reaction to the growing situation wasn't perfect and resulted in more infections and spread. Our reaction to the situation was objectively worse because we had China and other countries telling us this shit was real and didn't listen. 
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

I guess I missed the part where anyone said it was the best option. I guess we should trash all options until the best ones run out. You know, that’s how you plan for a national emergency in this country.

Maybe you don’t know what multiple sources of power means. Nobody was saying there’s more juice running to a cruise ship.

This started when I posted that The president and Mickey Arison had a discussion about this option.  Were there experts in the room?  IDK 

I'm not in charge of the "plan" for this emergency.  I'd be willing to wager I'd have done a MUCH fucking better job than the current crew.  Really any poster here would have.

Or maybe I do ...  Can you name me all the sources of power a cruise ship has?  Vs say a hardened municipal building powered by industrial powerplants  (FP&L ) and with built in generator backups..  Go a ahead let me know what you find out.

But in that post I was thinking more about electrical draw of medical equipment...  so my bad there

Edited by Loco

2 minutes ago, Loco said:

Or maybe I do ...  Can you name me all the sources of power a cruise ship has?  Vs say a hardened municipal building powered by industrial powerplants  (FP&L ) and with built in generator backups..  Go a ahead let me know what you find out.

You’re still lobbying as if someone said they were the best option in all situations. Guess what, when a cruise ship is at the dock, they are using the same industrial power plant, or they could use there numerous generators, or their emergency generators.

Gotta tell you....my mental health is shit right now.

Watching this unfold is like watching 9/11 -- but worse -- in slow-mo.  So many people are going to be financially devastated.  And that's not even talking about the effects of the illness.  We're just days/weeks away from our hospitals turning into horror shows.

And I have to worry about my own business, keeping everyone going and billing so we make it through this in decent shape.  I think we can, but it's going to need great effort.

Worried about my family -- elderly parents, including a mother in active treatment for lung cancer.  Worried about my kids -- my daughter still has to get home, and will be dealing with some real grieving when she does (she has loved her college experience, her friends, and her dorm, and had all of them yanked away with little warning).

And goddamit, I worry for the whole damned world.  For humanity.  For all of us.  We have friends literally all over the world.  They are all going through some measure of hardship, and the experiences are common.  We have friends right here at home who may not make it through this financially.  I fucking broke last night.  We can't help them all.  And it's not going to be okay.

I need more time away, some distraction and peace.  But I can't do that. I have to keep working, generating revenue.  I can do so, which is a blessing.  But my mind isn't going to be right for a long, long time.

• Like 8

36 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

The thing I like about cruise ships, in regards to potential temporary hospitals, is they are already set up for individual rooms, multiple sources of electrical power, and can be relocated to specific areas of the country. It’s a very good option to have in your file of resources.

Yeah, just drive one right into downtown Denver or Minneapolis!

1 minute ago, wild_turkey said:

Meaning what exactly? It's getting hard for me to keep up but has there been a state-wide closure of restaurants and bars yet?

Yes. Announced by Abbott earlier today and begins midnight on Friday. Still allowing take-out and delivery.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Watching this unfold is like watching 9/11 -- but worse -- in slow-mo.  So many people are going to be financially devastated.  And that's not even talking about the effects of the illness.  We're just days/weeks away from our hospitals turning into horror shows.

And I have to worry about my own business, keeping everyone going and billing so we make it through this in decent shape.  I think we can, but it's going to need great effort.

Worried about my family -- elderly parents, including a mother in active treatment for lung cancer.  Worried about my kids -- my daughter still has to get home, and will be dealing with some real grieving when she does (she has loved her college experience, her friends, and her dorm, and had all of them yanked away with little warning).

And goddamit, I worry for the whole damned world.  For humanity.  For all of us.  We have friends literally all over the world.  They are all going through some measure of hardship, and the experiences are common.  We have friends right here at home who may not make it through this financially.  I fucking broke last night.  We can't help them all.  And it's not going to be okay.

I need more time away, some distraction and peace.  But I can't do that. I have to keep working, generating revenue.  I can do so, which is a blessing.  But my mind isn't going to be right for a long, long time.

Hang tight man.  We will all help each out to recover on the other side. 

• Like 2

Can you Baptists get out of your own way and allow us to sell liquor in this state on Sundays?  It'll be good for the economy and Lord knows we need it given how much time we're all stuck at home.  

Its both backup and base power.  Cruise ships can draw pretty much 10x the relative power density that a hotel can from the grid.  And they can self-generate more than that.

Hotels have utility rooms.  Hospitals and cruiseships have centralized utility plants.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Ditto.

News story on the supposedly COVID positive woman who went to HEB that got everyone pissed yesterday. If HEB weren't so overwhelmed, I'd think they should double check security cameras.

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/facebook-post-about-woman-with-covid-19-visiting-h-e-b-is-false-woman-says

AUSTIN (KXAN) — A woman at the center of a viral Facebook post alleging she visited a south Austin H-E-B grocery store after testing positive for COVID-19 says the post is false, and she has not tested positive for the virus.

On Wednesday afternoon, KXAN began receiving dozens of emails from people concerned about the Facebook post, which shows the woman saying she visited an H-E-B at Oltorf Street and South Congress Avenue. One commenter says he thought she had tested positive for COVID-19. The woman then answers the commenter and says she stayed in her car and wore a mask while her husband did the shopping.

In an email to KXAN, the woman said she has never tested positive for COVID-19, and she was only “engaging in joking banter.” KXAN is not disclosing the woman’s name to minimize harassment.

“In retrospect, I should have just said NO and left it at that,” she said. “The next post in that thread I stated that I have NOT tested positive, but that was not included in the screenshot [a Facebook user] started circulating.”

The woman said she has not been tested for COVID-19 because she hasn’t qualified for testing or exhibited symptoms of the virus. She said she took a trip, returned on March 7 and has been self-quarantined as a precaution.

“I have received so many nasty messages and death threats via various means since people posted my personal contact information,” the woman said in an email to KXAN. “My sister has Stage IV cancer, and I am her primary caretaker. We have been taking extra precautions. The entire thing was taken way out of context.”

The woman said she has not been asked to self-quarantine but decided to do so as a precaution.

An H-E-B spokesperson released the following statement: “When H-E-B was made aware of the unconfirmed social media dialogue we took immediate precautionary measures and sanitized the shopping area. Additionally, we contacted the individual and were informed that she has not been diagnosed with COVID-19 and is not exhibiting symptoms.”

COVID-19 is the disease caused by a novel coronavirus discovered last year. The virus has spread across the globe, killed thousands and disrupted businesses worldwide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You’re still lobbying as if someone said they were the best option in all situations. Guess what, when a cruise ship is at the dock, they are using the same industrial power plant, or they could use there numerous generators, or their emergency generators.

I think we may be talking past each other.  I was incredulous that this was being considered a good option considering the available alternatives.  I was not arguing against it being the best option.  I don't think anyone thinks that.

Sure the ships hook up to shore power ...  That would be a potential point of failure with higher risk than a permanent terrestrial connection.   There is a reason hospitals are built so close to power sub stations.   

1 hour ago, Poe It Up said:

That’s like someone splitting atoms and blaming the resulting explosion on nature. Fuck China and their sick ass wet markets, they are to blame for this and let’s not let them forget it.

the best way to let them not forget it is to get through this without name calling, smile fuck them, take the high road, and then manufacutring-monroe-doctrine the fuck out of NATIONAL SECURITY.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Stay in the fight. Whatever happens, just stay in the fight.  That’s how we win. Just stay in the fight. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Message Board User said:

I hope so.  I posted last night that I worry we’ll see a spike in suicides with so many people facing financial ruin.

I may be a stupid eternal optimist, but I don't think this will be the case.  Humans come together and support each other in the worst of times.  This is going to suck for a lot of people.  A lot of people are going to discover what it is like to not have what they used to have and that's going to happen real fast.  I think people are going to lose patience really quickly with the "me first" people in our society and pull together.   I may be overly optimistic on how we handle a crisis but for some people, this may be their finest hour.

• Like 2

They're disguised as regular dead people from being old, pneumonia and the flu.

I doubt anyone is confusing someone that died of just “being old” with someone that was old and died from complications of the Coronas.

57 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

The press wasted 4 questions on it at yesterday's press conference.  If you don't want arguing about it, how about getting your half to stop constantly bringing it up?

I assumed that was implicit in my post.

11 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

1 minute ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Stay in the fight. Whatever happens, just stay in the fight. 

Doing my damndest.  My outlook hasn't been this bad in a long time.  Like, since watching a Mack Brown team against OU.

My particular psychosis is that I tend to put the weight of the whole fucking world on my shoulders.  Turns out, the whole world is a heavy motherfucker.

But there's no choice but to stay in this fight.  And the fight includes what comes when we're on the other side.  To put the lessons we will have learned to work.

10 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I hope so.  I posted last night that I worry we’ll see a spike in suicides with so many people facing financial ruin.

The mental health aspects of this are extremely under appreciated.  We won't really have a good sense as to the broad psychological impact of all of this for years. But the acute effects are readily observed. Couple weeks in social isolation and people will start really losing their shit. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

I hope they throw the book at them.  No wiping the slate clean for those guys.  They can go ply their trade in prison for trying to put the squeeze on consumers.  I  would like to be there when the bars roll shut.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away