Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

46 minutes ago, Jiggy-Z said:

During all of this I have been following Dr. Michael Osterholm of CIDRAP.  The sequencing of this virus,he says, lends itself to a high probability of animal to human jump and is even able to opine on likely suspect animals.  Now that is out of the way.

CIDRAP is also following some other nastiness out there like Chronic Wasting Disease which presently is found mostly in deer and does not have the capability to jump to humans...yet. 

God help us if this ever jumps and we are not prepared for it.  But US and A would be ground zero.  So my hope is this crisis, once it settles down, will be a warning about what we need to do in the future, especially when it comes to international cooperation.

About CWD:

Chronic wasting disease (CWD) is a prion disease that affects several cervid species: deer, elk, reindeer, sika deer, and moose. CWD was first identified in 1967 in a captive mule deer living in a Colorado research facility. In 1981, CWD was detected for the first time in a wild cervid. Since these initial detections, CWD has been identified in 26 states and three Canadian provinces. It has also been detected in Finland, Norway, South Korea, and Sweden.

CWD is believed to be transmitted horizontally (i.e., animal-to-animal contact) through infectious bodily fluids such as saliva, urine, and feces. Once excreted into the environment, CWD prions can persist for years and withstand extremely high levels of disinfectants such as heat, radiation, and formaldehyde. CWD prions also are capable of binding to certain plants, with the ability to be transported while still remaining infectious. CWD is increasing in cervids as more animals come into contact with infectious prions, usually via direct contact with an infected cervid and its bodily fluids, although viable CWD prions in the environment can also infect animals. As more cervids become infected, the frequency of these exposures and subsequent environmental contamination grows. Evidence also suggests that vertical transmission (i.e., parent to offspring) can occur, although its overall impact on the ecology of CWD is not entirely understood at this time.

Since CWD is now an established wildlife disease in North America, proactive steps, where possible, should be taken to limit transmission of CWD among animals and reduce the potential for human exposure. Although CWD has not yet been found to cause infections in humans, numerous health agencies have taken the stance that people should not be consuming CWD-positive animals. Since 1997, the World Health Organization has recommended that agents of any prion disease should not enter the human food chain. Likewise, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Health Canada, and multiple provincial and state health and natural resources agencies recommend that people should not consume the meat of an animal found to be positive for CWD.

Given the typical ten year or longer incubation period of prion-associated conditions, improving public health measures now to prevent human exposure to CWD prions and to further understand the potential risk to humans may reduce the likelihood of an event like bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE).  

Sidenote: Prion disease is terrible.  My wife's mother died from a form of it called CJD.  Unfortunately, it was the genetic kind and my wife was unfortunate enough to inherit the gene.  It has royally fucked up her life and our relationship.

• Like 1

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/488496-texas-governor-temporarily-shutters-schools-non-essential-businesses-to

Gov. Greg Abbott (R-Texas) joined states across the country in temporarily shutting schools and non-essential businesses statewide to mitigate the coronavirus pandemic. 

Abbott reportedly announced the closures of schools, restaurants, gyms and bars Thursday. 

The order goes into effect at midnight Friday and will remain in effect until April 3, according to The Dallas Morning News. 

“All jurisdictions must work to contain the spread of COVID-19 for at least the next two weeks,” Abbott said during the televised announcement. 

Abbott’s executive order limits social gatherings to no more than 10 people, the limit President Trump recommended earlier this week.

Texas's order also restricts people from visiting nursing homes and retirement centers, and limits restaurants to take out and deliver orders, in line with other measures taken by states across the country. 

“We can clearly see the trajectory COVID-19 will follow if not effectively combated,” Texas Department of State Health Services Commissioner John Hellerstedt said during the announcement, according to the Dallas Morning News. “If we delay, we will not only pay a higher price than is necessary, but we will rue the day that we, all of Texas, did not choose to act decisively.”

There are 143 confirmed COVID-19 cases and three deaths from the virus across Texas, according to the state health department data.

35 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

You’re still lobbying as if someone said they were the best option in all situations. Guess what, when a cruise ship is at the dock, they are using the same industrial power plant, or they could use there numerous generators, or their emergency generators.

but the power draw will be 60 Trillion Jigawatts!

2 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I didn't challenge that it originated in a wet-market, so I'm not sure what you mean. I agree the wet-markets are a problem and have an increased possibility of allowing new viruses to jump to humans. Again, I really don't know that you and I disagree on anything here. I'm not saying you can't blame China for how it handled everything. Hell, I'm saying you should. I'm just saying calling China the sole cause is misguided. Other countries have similar markets and practices that can allow new viruses to jump to humans. Our country isn't perfect in this regard either. A lot of entities contributed to this getting as bad as it appears to be, not just China. 

Reading the last 5 pages to catch up on any actual news and here this fucking guy is equivocating constantly for fucking China. It's nauseating.

There have to be Chinese BBS' somewhere that you can go hang out on and do the rest of us a favor with your absence. Fuck. 

16 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Stop with the cruise ship talk.

I think what you mean to say is "I sure wish Loco would shut the fuck up with his whining". 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Doing my damndest.  My outlook hasn't been this bad in a long time.  Like, since watching a Mack Brown team against OU.

My particular psychosis is that I tend to put the weight of the whole fucking world on my shoulders.  Turns out, the whole world is a heavy motherfucker.

But there's no choice but to stay in this fight.  And the fight includes what comes when we're on the other side.  To put the lessons we will have learned to work.

You are a steely-eyed missile man. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
SAY IT!!!

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/488496-texas-governor-temporarily-shutters-schools-non-essential-businesses-to
Gov. Greg Abbott (R-Texas) joined states across the country in temporarily shutting schools and non-essential businesses statewide to mitigate the coronavirus pandemic. 
Abbott reportedly announced the closures of schools, restaurants, gyms and bars Thursday. 
The order goes into effect at midnight Friday and will remain in effect until April 3, according to The Dallas Morning News. 

“All jurisdictions must work to contain the spread of COVID-19 for at least the next two weeks,” Abbott said during the televised announcement. 
Abbott’s executive order limits social gatherings to no more than 10 people, the limit President Trump recommended earlier this week.
Texas's order also restricts people from visiting nursing homes and retirement centers, and limits restaurants to take out and deliver orders, in line with other measures taken by states across the country. 
“We can clearly see the trajectory COVID-19 will follow if not effectively combated,” Texas Department of State Health Services Commissioner John Hellerstedt said during the announcement, according to the Dallas Morning News. “If we delay, we will not only pay a higher price than is necessary, but we will rue the day that we, all of Texas, did not choose to act decisively.”
There are 143 confirmed COVID-19 cases and three deaths from the virus across Texas, according to the state health department data.

Geez.. most of us did this Monday

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

China not reporting this early and THEN reporting to the WHO that it didn't transmit person to person was fucking huge and probably 90% of the cause of this.  it was going to get out because of the asymptomatic carriers but they seriously fucked up the timeline for everyone.

We fucked up our own timeline more than they did. To believe otherwise would be to believe that if China had warned everyone in November, like they did in January, then we would have responded more aggressively. I don't see how anyone can reach that conclusion. No matter when they warned us, it appears we would have ignored it until it was hitting us in the face. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

26 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Pretty fucked up.  

spacer.png

What the fuck.  How did China go from one of the greatest civilizations on earth to a communist shithole that can't feed itself without eating vermin and pets?

I suppose a lot of countries and societies have been reduced to eating vermin and pets at one time or another, but they fucking stop when it's not necessary.

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

What the fuck.  How did China go from one of the greatest civilizations on earth to a communist shithole that can't feed itself without eating vermin and pets?

Mao's great leap forward...  epic fucking disaster

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

The mental health aspects of this are extremely under appreciated.  We won't really have a good sense as to the broad psychological impact of all of this for years. But the acute effects are readily observed. Couple weeks in social isolation and people will start really losing their shit. 

And getting divorced.  My new XBox came yesterday, which might save our marriage.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Yeah that’s not what he said.

SOrry, I've only seen the movie on CBS. 

Also, how weird is it that a pandemic that some U.S. officials (/noCR) are calling the "Chinese Virus" and yet, it took us months to enact some of the same procedures from the nation for which the virus is named?  If it originated in China, maybe we should have taken some pages from their playbook to combat the spread, no?  I mean, we certainly did that when the West Nile Virus came along.  No politics, because we're just talking about the nation it came from, remember?  But if a pandemic comes to your shores and the literal name of the virus has a country name on it, shouldn't you engage that country a little more early on?  I mean, the Japanese Invasion of 1941...we pretty much zeroed in on Japan after that and didn't really mix it up right away with Italy and Romania.  I guess that's how I was raised.  

Edited by Lobo

1 minute ago, Loco said:

Yeah... I can't imagine getting behind a leader because he swims really well.  That was his shtick.

Those were the times though. Show of physical strength and ability to lead the people forward. In retrospect, it was cheesy as fuck. 73 year-old China man swimming a fake distance. All I give credit for is that Mao managed to survive to the age of 82.

Since we're all a bunch of intellectuals on the Surl, please see below video for viewing pleasure:

• Like 3

Doing my damndest.  My outlook hasn't been this bad in a long time.  Like, since watching a Mack Brown team against OU.
My particular psychosis is that I tend to put the weight of the whole fucking world on my shoulders.  Turns out, the whole world is a heavy motherfucker.
But there's no choice but to stay in this fight.  And the fight includes what comes when we're on the other side.  To put the lessons we will have learned to work.

Brisket , you’re genuinely a good egg, and your heart is definitely in the right place.

But who told you it was your burden to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders?

5c6ae447ca33dfdb06b14e4c2c5698ff.jpg

That you recognize this undue stress that you’re suffering from as a psychosis is probably a good thing.

Continue doing what you can for your fellow man, but don’t forget to take care of yourself too. The oxygen masks have figuratively deployed. Be sure to put yours on before you pass out while trying to help others.

You’ve got some extra stuff on your plate that many aren’t contending with, so I’m sending good thoughts your way.

This too shall pass.
  • Like 8

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Reading the last 5 pages to catch up on any actual news and here this fucking guy is equivocating constantly for fucking China. It's nauseating.

There have to be Chinese BBS' somewhere that you can go hang out on and do the rest of us a favor with your absence. Fuck. 

I think what you mean to say is "I sure wish Loco would shut the fuck up with his whining". 

I'm not "equivocating for China." I'm saying it is misguided to look at China as the sole cause of our current situation without reflection of our responsibility for our own inaction, and without consideration of the simple facts that nature created the virus and that there was a significant contribution of chance that it arose in China and not here in the USA. Blame China for fucking and hiding in the beginning. Blame China for not acting sooner on the wet-markets that we know increase the chance of the rise of this sort of virus. But, let's not be so ignorant to think that a similar virus could not arise here. It just feels odd to me to try and blame solely man for what is at its a core a natural disaster. If a similar pandemic was released from the USA because someone here ate an alligator/snake/armadillo/chicken/pig, would we really want or expect the whole world to say "this is all your fault!"? 

13 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I suppose a lot of countries and societies have been reduced to eating vermin and pets at one time or another, but they fucking stop when it's not necessary.

46498183_1923521801076581_25751500858767

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Player said:

Brisket , you’re genuinely a good egg, and your heart is definitely in the right place.

But who told you it was your burden to carry the weight of the world on your shoulders?

5c6ae447ca33dfdb06b14e4c2c5698ff.jpg

That you recognize this undue stress that you’re suffering from as a psychosis is probably a good thing.

Continue doing what you can for your fellow man, but don’t forget to take care of yourself too. The oxygen masks have figuratively deployed. Be sure to put yours on before you pass out while trying to help others.

You’ve got some extra stuff on your plate that many aren’t contending with, so I’m sending good thoughts your way.

This too shall pass.

..but would be a lot easier with some toilet paper, am I right?

This dumbass at work just walked by my area and starts talking to a co-worker and says, "my son is home with a high fever" and then proceeds to talk with her about bullshit for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile i'm over here in my cube covering my mouth and nose with anything resembling a mask. 

I chatted on teams to HR and was like get this bitch outta here.

She finally walks away and I go over to HR and grab the Lysol and start spraying the area. 

HR rep comes back and says its unrelated and he's got the same thing she did last week.

Yeah, CORONAVIRUS...

RIP Surly

2 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I'm not "equivocating for China." I'm saying it is misguided to look at China as the sole cause of our current situation without reflection of our responsibility for our own inaction, and without consideration of the simple facts that nature created the virus and that there was a significant contribution of chance that it arose in China and not here in the USA. Blame China for fucking and hiding in the beginning. Blame China for not acting sooner on the wet-markets that we know increase the chance of the rise of this sort of virus. But, let's not be so ignorant to think that a similar virus could not arise here. It just feels odd to me to try and blame solely man for what is at its a core a natural disaster. If a similar pandemic was released from the USA because someone here ate an alligator/snake/armadillo/chicken/pig, would we really want or expect the whole world to say "this is all your fault!"? 

I get it. You want to take legitimately grounded sentiment from people calling it straight and then turn it into a debate regarding percentages of blame, and how we need all have our own shame about how terrible we also are as a people and a government. You probably were sobbing while typing it, wishing we were just better than we are.

I'm sure this is known, so folks will have to forgive me, but you've got to be a fucking attorney. It's the same bullshit every time when one of you guys think you're the only one seeing everything straight. "No no no, we are also to blame! You left that part out, so now I am going to extrapolate and play devil's advocate and respond as though it's never crossed your mind and you don't understand relativism because you are probably just a group of big dummies who have never considered multiple facets to a dilemma. Let me elaborate, repeatedly ..." Right. 

• Like 8

This dumbass at work just walked by my area and starts talking to a co-worker and says, "my son is home with a high fever" and then proceeds to talk with her about bullshit for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile i'm over here in my cube covering my mouth and nose with anything resembling a mask. 
I chatted on teams to HR and was like get this bitch outta here.
She finally walks away and I go over to HR and grab the Lysol and start spraying the area. 
HR rep comes back and says its unrelated and he's got the same thing she did last week.
Yeah, CORONAVIRUS...
RIP Surly

Goodbye and good luck

You know the old debate on whether leaders are made or born?  I think most are born with it, and for most of those...we watch it rot off their bones in real time.  

Edited by Lobo

53 minutes ago, Lobo said:

Can you Baptists get out of your own way and allow us to sell liquor in this state on Sundays?  It'll be good for the economy and Lord knows we need it given how much time we're all stuck at home.  

It’s gonna happen.  Just hold your Civets.  

6 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I get it. You want to take legitimately grounded sentiment from people calling it straight and then turn it into a debate regarding percentages of blame, and how we need all have our own shame about how terrible we also are as a people and a government. You probably were sobbing while typing it, wishing we were just better than we are.

I'm sure this is known, so folks will have to forgive me, but you've got to be a fucking attorney. It's the same bullshit every time when one of you guys think you're the only one seeing everything straight. "No no no, we are also to blame! You left that part out, so now I am going to extrapolate and play devil's advocate and respond as though it's never crossed your mind and you don't understand relativism because you are probably just a group of big dummies who have never considered multiple facets to a dilemma. Let me elaborate, repeatedly ..." Right. 

Ok angry man. I'll let you be. Go back to thinking this whole thing is no big deal like you were posting about non-stop just a week ago. I will have reasoned discussion with someone else. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We fucked up our own timeline more than they did. To believe otherwise would be to believe that if China had warned everyone in November, like they did in January, then we would have responded more aggressively. I don't see how anyone can reach that conclusion. No matter when they warned us, it appears we would have ignored it until it was hitting us in the face. 

we're just gonna have to agree to disagree here.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away