Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

3 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

There are tests but the criteria to get one is very strict.  You have to prove you were directly exposed, admitted to the hospital, or a health worker. 

This is not true.  My wife's hairdresser got one yesterday with one doctor's visit.  She took a negative RFT and that was good enough for her doctor to order one.  No travel, no exposure, minor fever.

Other doctors might be more strict.

Edited by JBJ
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I didn't even mention the 18 year old virgin who is trying to sell me her cherry. She was asking $2000 last month but dropped it to $1000 last week. She messaged me again last night and I need to get back to her. She does have a tomboy girlfriend. I don't usually waste my time with cherry girls as I like a woman with skills, but she is sweet.

Wonder how many times she has sold her cherry.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, F250 said:
39 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

First full day of working remotely. Got up, shaved, dressed, everything just like normal. Carried my breakfast to my desk and went to work as usual. Put in a full day.

Tomorrow is pron Friday. 

spacer.png

I've worked from home for about 11 years now. I might got to the office once a month if they make me attend a meeting. 

The best part is definitely the naps, followed closely by the pron. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, RayDog said:

I didn't even mention the 18 year old virgin who is trying to sell me her cherry. She was asking $2000 last month but dropped it to $1000 last week. She messaged me again last night and I need to get back to her. She does have a tomboy girlfriend. I don't usually waste my time with cherry girls as I like a woman with skills, but she is sweet.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Well, somebody up there likes me.  After busting my ass to get our entire court ready to go remote, I'm a lawyer who has an unpaid IT gig, too, basically, we finally got the OPTION to work remotely, at least until April 6 (and let's be honest, probably longer).  But there's still idiots who are going to keep going to the office.  But credit to our Chief, against every instinct I've known about him for nearly 20 years, he signed off on letting us remote in.  I'll probably be fielding tech questions instead of doing the job I'm paid to do for the first day or so, but I, with some help of a couple of other people who aren't terrified of computers, got it done, while unashamedly wearing nitrile gloves and forcing people to back off while I led them through the process of remoting in.  I'm cracking a well earned cold one and hoping I managed to stay uninfected over the last four days at the office, where I've been checking my temperature multiple times per day.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, tjhooker said:

Update on my stepmom in Sun City. She has developed pneumonia in her right lung confirmed by xray.  Cough is the same but fever is now gone.  They still refuse to allow her a test.  Unfortunately, today my dad who is 73 with all sorts of heart issues has developed a cough and sore throat today.  He said he feels fine except for that.  Damn it. 

Fuck, what the fuck is the deal with testing?  Seems like a no brainer.  That's fucked.  Sorry brother.

23 minutes ago, Somnio said:

That's about 2/3s of the population.

It's weird. The announcement from Newsom stated that "25 million or roughly 56% of the state's population" will be infected. Not sure where they are getting the population numbers from.

25 minutes ago, RayDog said:

You're making me question my life choices

45 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

California projects 25.5 million infected in the state in next 8 weeks:

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-03-19/gavin-newsom-california-1-billion-federal-aid-coronavirus

"More than half of Californians" at 25.5 mil.  That's a shade more than half.  And a bit alarmist I would think.

edit- sorry been addressed.

Edited by Sbbruin

PSA: Just driving around the past 2 days, I’ve seen the cops pull over about 10 or 11 people. No exaggeration. I think with reduced traffic, the cops are really struggling to hit quotas. Drive extra careful.

I have noticed on the beltway in Houston a much stronger pig presence. Definitely watch your speed. Today is the end of my work week. Going to take a drive around the city tomorrow and see what’s going on. Don’t worry, I will be much more than 2 meters away from anyone.
  • Like 2

I will cross post here that a commenter to today's Peak Prosperity video mentioned that quercetin is an ionofore for zinc. It is a health supplement and common in foods such as red onions.

I am curious if the surly medical experts have any idea if it is possibly a substitute for chloroquine.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

PSA: Just driving around the past 2 days, I’ve seen the cops pull over about 10 or 11 people. No exaggeration. I think with reduced traffic, the cops are really struggling to hit quotas. Drive extra careful.

Noticed the same thing. My thought was that we can actually go over the speed limit now. 

44 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

60M people in the US eventually got H1N1/swine,.  there were treatments almost immediately so luckily we slowed the death rate as well.  It also didn't start in FUCKING CHINA

No, it didn't. It started on this continent. We were just lucky that H1N1 wasn't as serious or deadly as SARS-CoV-2.  But, even then, our response to H1N1 early on was robust and immediate, unlike our response in the current crisis. We learned the wrong lesson and didn't take this one seriously until it was too late to prevent major damage. 

Edited by Dahobbs

Whelp. At the risk of this going sideways due to high flying emotions and the positively cloak-roomy tangentials native to this discussion, may I humbly present DoublePlusGood thinking for Global Politics in the 21st Century? (Mind you, this is a real concern... China's reputation in the rest of the world is not what it is in the U.S.):

The Coronavirus Could Reshape Global OrderChina Is Maneuvering for International Leadership as the United States Falters

With hundreds of millions of people now isolating themselves around the world, the novel coronavirus pandemic has become a truly global event. And while its geopolitical implications should be considered secondary to matters of health and safety, those implications may, in the long term, prove just as consequential—especially when it comes to the United States’ global position. Global orders have a tendency to change gradually at first and then all at once. In 1956, a botched intervention in the Suez laid bare the decay in British power and marked the end of the United Kingdom’s reign as a global power. Today, U.S. policymakers should recognize that if the United States does not rise to meet the moment, the coronavirus pandemic could mark another “Suez moment.”

Then lots of discussion of Chinese propaganda, etc., followed by this:

When no European state answered Italy’s urgent appeal for medical equipment and protective gear, China publicly committed to sending 1,000 ventilators, two million masks, 100,000 respirators, 20,000 protective suits, and 50,000 test kits. China has also dispatched medical teams and 250,000 masks to Iran and sent supplies to Serbia, whose president dismissed European solidarity as “a fairy tale” and proclaimed that “the only country that can help us is China.” Alibaba co-founder Jack Ma has promised to send large quantities of testing kits and masks to the United States, as well as 20,000 test kits and 100,000 masks to each of Africa’s 54 countries.

Yeah, that sort of shit gets remembered. Even when the source of the problem might not.

On the bright side, so long as he still makes sure I get my chicken-fried-rice, I love Big Brother.

1 minute ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Yeah, that sort of shit gets remembered. Even when the source of the problem might not.

China being the source of the problem will absolutely be remembered.  But no doubt they are making a power play while we're struggling to tie our own shoes.

3 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Whelp. At the risk of this going sideways due to high flying emotions and the positively cloak-roomy tangentials native to this discussion, may I humbly present DoublePlusGood thinking for Global Politics in the 21st Century? (Mind you, this is a real concern... China's reputation in the rest of the world is not what it is in the U.S.):

The Coronavirus Could Reshape Global OrderChina Is Maneuvering for International Leadership as the United States Falters

Then lots of discussion of Chinese propaganda, etc., followed by this:

On the bright side, so long as he still makes sure I get my chicken-fried-rice, I love Big Brother.

There was once a day when American Manufacturing came to the world's rescue. Those days are gone - along with our manufacturing base - thanks to our economic policies since the mid-70's. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, Skipper said:

China being the source of the problem will absolutely be remembered.  But no doubt they are making a power play while we're struggling to tie our own shoes.

More like an act of desperation because the entire world will not forget their crime against humanity. But yes, we are definitely struggling to tie our own shoes.

• Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, yeah, but both the U.S. and India have historical reasons for hating China, that have nothing to do with this virus. We would've both hated China even if this virus had come from Botswana.

All valid points. But you don't think if played correctly, this will severely hamper China? Their Belt and Road initiative extends to Europe and the EU/UK won't let them off that easy. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

So serious question.  What's going on in Japan? Yea they have some recent on a global timeline history of being sneaky/devious shits but not really the same as China now does.  They locked down schools but best I can tell society has stayed fairly open and those motherfuckers are stacked on top of each other.

And yet.....

Edited by Surly Bevo

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

So serious question.  What's going on in Japan? Yea they have some recent on a global timeline history of being sneaky/devious shits but not really the same as China now does.  They locked down schools but best I can tell society has stayed fairly open and those motherfuckers are stacked on top of each other.

And yet.....

Also everyone is wearing masks no matter what.

25 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Buncha fuckers out there driving at full throttle too with traffic so low. I generally drive about five over the limit and have been getting passed left and right as randoms are bobbing in and out of lanes on Ben White between Congress and Brodie (no I haven’t been driving in the far left lane).

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

And yet.....

theyre hiding as much as possible so the Olympics can still go on 

• Like 5

27 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

No, it didn't. It started on this continent. We were just lucky that H1N1 wasn't as serious or deadly as SARS-CoV-2.  But, even then, our response to H1N1 early on was robust and immediate, unlike our response in the current crisis. We learned the wrong lesson and didn't take this one seriously until it was too late to prevent major damage. 

apparently you don't read very well.  I said it didn't start in China.  and no our reponse wasn't robust and immediate.  we didn't even declare a national emergency until 7 months after we knew about it.  It took a month to even declare a health emergency.

but you are very correct that we did get lucky with H1N1.

Edited by dcar00
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

I've worked from home for about 11 years now. I might got to the office once a month if they make me attend a meeting. 
The best part is definitely the naps, followed closely by the pron. 

Pro tip - just start calling your naps “meditation” and people will think of you as a cool, hip and progressive leader instead of an out-of-shape old lazy bum. Worked for me!
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

It's weird. The announcement from Newsom stated that "25 million or roughly 56% of the state's population" will be infected. Not sure where they are getting the population numbers from.

Bro - sanctuary cities abound there.

9 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Those will be cheap tickets.....

Nothing is cheap in Japan and certainly not the Olympics if it were to proceed. The tentative dates are Friday, July 24th to Sunday, August 9th. At this moment in time, there is a small (but continuously dwindling) chance that it might take place. Japan stands lose an opportunity at a huge cash cow if the Olympics get canceled altogether.

Edited by UDontKnow

3 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

Nothing is cheap in Japan and certainly not the Olympics if it were to proceed. The tentative dates are Friday, July 24th to Sunday, August 9th. At this moment in time, there is a small (but continuously dwindling) chance that it might take place. Japan stands lose an opportunity at a huge cash cow if the Olympics get canceled altogether.

Empty seats, empty venues, and empty hotels are cheaper to fill.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away