Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

35 minutes ago, Newdoc said:

If you are not a medical professional please stop posting your “fixes” to a Covid Virus infection unless you have cited proof. Not some half ass small sample non blind study that hasn’t been replicated. Conjecturing about off label treatments for other medications is fair.

And please don’t tell us you’re convinced you have Covid if you haven’t been formally diagnosed. I have been involved in personally testing dozens of people and the vast majority with URI symptoms are still testing negative for now. So chances are your headache and sore throat isn’t Covid.

I appreciate you not calling me out by name but do recognize you're addressing me.  I earned a medical degree over 20 years ago.  I am licensed and have active board cert.  To be clear, I am not giving medical advice to anyone here.  I'm making observations when controlled data is lacking and wondering about unproven options that have a relatively low risk while offering potential significant upside when a global emergency is spreading like an ether fire.  You may be able to think of examples in your experience when a new med came to market and lo and behold your experience and observations differ from what the drug companies advertised at the start in terms of uses, dosing, and efficacy.  Physicians' observations and experience play an important role in clinical application.  I'm sure you have some of your own tricks.

Regarding "And please don’t tell us you’re convinced you have Covid if you haven’t been formally diagnosed. I have been involved in personally testing dozens of people and the vast majority with URI symptoms are still testing negative for now. So chances are your headache and sore throat isn’t Covid."  First, I'm not convinced, I have no way to confirm it due to test rationing.  Fwiw, I had fever and chills and trach and lung and involvement, not even a sore throat. Is that different than a headache and sore throat?  It was to me.   

When you mention the majority with URI symptoms are still testing negative for now, that's an important qualifier.  That could mean two different things off the top of my head.  What do you mean?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

If you are not a medical professional please stop posting your “fixes” to a Covid Virus infection unless you have cited proof. Not some half ass small sample non blind study that hasn’t been replicated. Conjecturing about off label treatments for other medications is fair.

And please don’t tell us you’re convinced you have Covid if you haven’t been formally diagnosed. I have been involved in personally testing dozens of people and the vast majority with URI symptoms are still testing negative for now. So chances are your headache and sore throat isn’t Covid.

But then we wouldn't get great advice like the below to take supplments at levels that might kill you.

And take 5000mg of D3 and 1000mg of Zinc every day. And CBD. 

• Haha 2

So I understand that ramping up production of critical ventilators is extremely difficult, but can we get some damn M-95 masks to the entire population. Order 700million just to be safe. 

regardless of the duration of the shutdown, the quicker business adapt and learn safe practices the quicker they can get back to normal. If we all need to wear masks (and gloves!!)  in public places of 10 or more for the next year so be it. Beats being forced shut ins.  

1 hour ago, BNB said:

Went to HEB just now to grab a few things, when they opened at 8am at Oltorf/Congress,  Lines wrapped around the building, so I left.  I will just try curbside or delivery.

Should have taken a pic, just just wanted to go to the convenient store get some beer and go home :)

I went to the 183/Braker location at 8:00. Line all the way down the strip mall to the end near 183. They only had one side open and had an employee and APD officer at the door letting in 10 people at a time every few minutes. Got in and out in about 30 minutes. They had some toilet paper too.

• Like 1

I will say that FDA regulates the marketing of products, and that products are mismarketed all the time (wrong classification, insufficient testing/validation, or not approved at all prior to marketing). It takes months or years usually for FDA to catch up unless it is egregious. Once they do investigate, it is their prerogative how to prosecute. In these situations, I’d like to believe FDA would go light on anyone pushing life saving products during this crisis if they made a good faith effort to validate their manufacturing process. 

2 minutes ago, SizzleChest said:

I've been taking 5000mg of D3 for four years, yet I am still able to type this message.

1) that's not the one i bolded

2) good for you for taking it at levels just a little above where the recommended range is but there isn't currently any data showing that it is useful?

Kinda like going through training camp and putting in a new offense, and then changing your offensive coordinator after one game. 

This is the Covid-19 thread, this isn’t where you describe strange nightmare football scenarios that would never happen in real life.

Just got off the phone with my mom in Germany.  They are on total lockdown.  Only reason they can leave the house is to go to a grocery store or to a medical facility.  Everything else is closed.  Cops are stopping anyone moving around to make sure they are going to one or the other.  They aren't sure if the bread or drink trucks are still running.  

She is over there to take care of my grandmother who turns 90 on Easter Sunday.  She was supposed to replace my aunt who is living there most of the year but comes back to the states a couple of months out of the year to maintain her green card status.  Now the aunt is stuck because there are no flights to the states, so its all a mess.  I told my mom to get in touch with the embassy to figure out a visa, because her being there more than 90 days is all but assured at this point.  I would think the EU would be understanding when travel starts back up, but I don't want to give some grumpy customs guy an excuse to stamp her passport as a refugee and block her from coming back.  

Just really hope Germany doesnt ramp up to Italy numbers, because I warned her that at that point she will be in the back of any line for treatment over there.  They will treat Germans first.  Only glimmer of hope is my cousin is a doctor that works 30 minutes away from them.  She just got her license last summer, hell of a welcome to the profession.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Lotta stuff coming out of china the last 48 hrs about hospital lines ramping back up and more people getting sick... especially outside of Hubei containment zone

I don't believe any numbers that the Chinese government puts out about how they have it under control. None. 

As I said before my nephew, when he was in Taiwan in February, said some of the videos being smuggled out of The Mainland were horrific. They have incinerated so many bodies I don't think there will ever be an accurate count of how many have, and will, die.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

So fapping hourly won't stem the spread ?

Actually there’s some lady Sexologist who said it boost the immune system. You can google to go find the article but I guess that means you’re socially isolating. I wouldn’t use it as a primary means of protection.

What is HEB's goal in limiting people inside the stores?  Prevent panic?  Prevent people from coming in contact with each other?

If you start blocking the door and creating queues outside of the store, you are creating group gathering in the line outside.  That sounds bad.  Seems like they should let people into the store at a rate so that there are no queues at checkout, but let people roam around the store freely to shop.  Maybe that's what they are doing, just pushing the queues from checkout to the front door.  If they are going to block the door, they need to have some kind of ticketing system like at the deli so that people could grab a ticket at the door, wait in the parking lot, then come in when their number is called rather than wait close together in a line.

Just now, Texas Jeff said:

What is HEB's goal in limiting people inside the stores?  Prevent panic?  Prevent people from coming in contact with each other?

If you start blocking the door and creating queues outside of the store, you are creating group gathering in the line outside.  That sounds bad.  Seems like they should let people into the store at a rate so that there are no queues at checkout, but let people roam around the store freely to shop.  Maybe that's what they are doing, just pushing the queues from checkout to the front door.  If they are going to block the door, they need to have some kind of ticketing system like at the deli so that people could grab a ticket at the door, wait in the parking lot, then come in when their number is called rather than wait close together in a line.

Fire code I believe.

56 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

How many americans would freak the fuck out if the boys rolled full big brother right now?

That would require a level of commitment and competence that we haven’t seen at the federal level.  

It’s still surprising how, handed the perfect opportunity, the feds threw their hands up, said “we will give you some masks and ventilators and some money, but the rest is on you!”

1 hour ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Army Corps of Engineers FTW ??  They're definitely good at fixing shit that's been blown up, but what about building ventilators ?  I would agree they should already be in the mix with temp facilities being erected at all major medical centers, and in areas with high pop densities.  

Calling up the military has potential emotional baggage that could cause more panic ??

The only problem is that those temp military hospitals are staffed by Reserve/National Guard units made up of civilian healthcare professionals.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

But then we wouldn't get great advice like the below to take supplments at levels that might kill you.

Since you went to the trouble to quote a post from a hundred or so pages back, why did you ignore the following posts where i immediately admitted i may have incorrectly recalled the measurements on the bottles, i went and got the bottles, and posted the correct dosages printed on the bottles, which confirmed what others said in other posts directly afterward?

2 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

They're going to queue up somewhere.  Before they were all lining up in the store which resulted in aisles being blocked/etc.  Lining up outside seems like it would also lessen the likelihood of spread compared to lining up inside the store

2 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well, I don't even know what D3 is, so I might even be taking more.  Is it found in Cheetos?

It’s the more active form of Vitamin D but there are multiple studies that show that supplementation doesn’t have the same benefit as natural levels (from the sun). And there aren’t great studies for infectious disease period. Personally, I think it would be a good time to get some sun even with the increased risks of skin cancer unless you have a strong history of it or risks for melanoma. 

7 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Their stated goal is "social distancing."  That's what the HEB manager told us this morning as we waited in line.  They guy behind us complained loudly it was stupid because we were on top of each other waiting in line and would all go in and touch everything inside the store anyway.  I agreed with him but he was being unnecessarily surly.  

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Is that a problem ?

I took that comment to mean that if the army starts using civilians to do stuff, then those civilians wouldn’t be available to do whatever they are doing now at hospitals/clinics.

Goddamned telephone scammers are ramping up their sleazy shit again.

last few days we’ve gotten several robocalls telling us our “social Security numbers have been cancelled and to call this number to be reinstated”, or some such bullshit.

There is a special place in hell for that scum, and I sincerely wish some young hacker could track them down so an execution squad could go put some lead in their slimy heads.

• Like 9

10 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

Less people Sharing trapped air.  At least people standing outside are benefiting from getting some fresh air.  

51 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

the real question for the day is packaging.

paper

cardboard

plastic

styrofoam

what is the reality for each.  i have seen wildly divergent takes.

also, the ingress process.  how do you get your food in your house and in your fridge or the oven or the microwave.

finally, the fridge.  how long can the fucker live on any of the above packaging if re-wrapped in plastic bags and placed in the fridge.  what about the freezer?  does it kill the fucker?  can it live when frozen?

My wife is a germaphobe (among other things, obviously). We have had lengthy discussions about this process. I'm not sure this post belongs here or in the wives thread.

Your last question, first: it is my understanding that this virus can live forever in a freezer. Caveat emptor -- I have no idea how legitimate this source is:

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/19/How-long-can-coronaviruses-survive-in-a-freezer-Up-to-two-years-warns-expert.html

Our strategy is this, which is fucking insane just like the person who devised it....

Have refrigerated items all bagged together and everything else bagged together. Bring in all the groceries, separating the non-perishable from the perishable. Have separate garbage bag ready to dispose of all grocery bags. Starting with the refrigerated stuff, one person removes items from bags, the other wipes everything down with chlorox wipes and sets aside. Get all the shit into the fridge. Lather, rinse, repeat with the rest of the goods.

I won't even get into the protocol she wants me to follow while I'm putting my life and the lives of my family in danger while going to HEB, but let's just say that it involves multiple sets of gloves, enough hand sanitizer to kill a horse, and a specific strategy for handling my credit card / touching the keypad and using the key fob to open the hatch back of the car.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Their stated goal is "social distancing."  That's what the HEB manager told us this morning as we waited in line.  They guy behind us complained loudly it was stupid because we were on top of each other waiting in line and would all go in and touch everything inside the store anyway.  I agreed with him but he was being unnecessarily surly.  

HEB can’t control how the idiots in line outside their store choose to congregate.  They can control the activity inside their stores. 

15 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

I don't believe any numbers that the Chinese government puts out about how they have it under control. None. 

As I said before my nephew, when he was in Taiwan in February, said some of the videos being smuggled out of The Mainland were horrific. They have incinerated so many bodies I don't think there will ever be an accurate count of how many have, and will, die.

And when we say things like us, we get made fun of.  But I completely agree.  China has completely screwed around on their numbers.

I get that they want people outside, fresh air, fire code ... that makes sense.  But if they are going to do that they need to make sure that people in the outside queue are able to stay six feet away from each other.  Maybe a line of cones or sidewalk chalk on the ground.  Move up one cone at a time.  Or hand out tickets for admission.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

My wife is a germaphobe (among other things, obviously). We have had lengthy discussions about this process. I'm not sure this post belongs here or in the wives thread.

Your last question, first: it is my understanding that this virus can live forever in a freezer. Caveat emptor -- I have no idea how legitimate this source is:

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/features/2020/03/19/How-long-can-coronaviruses-survive-in-a-freezer-Up-to-two-years-warns-expert.html

Our strategy is this, which is fucking insane just like the person who devised it....

Have refrigerated items all bagged together and everything else bagged together. Bring in all the groceries, separating the non-perishable from the perishable. Have separate garbage bag ready to dispose of all grocery bags. Starting with the refrigerated stuff, one person removes items from bags, the other wipes everything down with chlorox wipes and sets aside. Get all the shit into the fridge. Lather, rinse, repeat with the rest of the goods.

I won't even get into the protocol she wants me to follow while I'm putting my life and the lives of my family in danger while going to HEB, but let's just say that it involves multiple sets of gloves, enough hand sanitizer to kill a horse, and a specific strategy for handling my credit card / touching the keypad and using the key fob to open the hatch back of the car.

I would lick her phone when she isn't looking.  Repeatedly.  All day.

• Haha 1

Short update on international travel: daughter is at the Montreal airport now, waiting on her flight.  She was the only person going through security.  The only one going through customs.   And at least as of a little while ago, the only one at her gate.  A classmate flew to LGA yesterday and was the only passenger on her flight.

• Like 9

1 minute ago, CooterBrown said:

AISD's solution for kids without home internet access so they can move to tele-teaching...

AISD has installed hot spots on our buses and will be situated throughout our city for students and staff to access.

That's the most CoA solution to anything I've ever read. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Armybrat said:

Goddamned telephone scammers are ramping up their sleazy shit again.

last few days we’ve gotten several robocalls telling us our “social Security numbers have been cancelled and to call this number to be reinstated”, or some such bullshit.

There is a special place in hell for that scum, and I sincerely wish some young hacker could track them down so an execution squad could go put some lead in their slimy heads.

ATT seny me a link to their app that lets you selectively block and report those.  It took about a month, but it really helped drop that volume down.  I see about 10-12 blocked calls a day now that never bothered me.  It's called Call Protect or something, but I think it's the same thing as Hiya.

2 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Same protocol, but we leave the stuff in the fridge/freezer for 3 days without touching it.  Then we wipe them all down one more time before using them.

Thought it was ridiculous, then we were watching CNN last night and they specifically said to wipe every bag, vegetable, and other thing down with soap and water before storage in the freezer and after retrieval from the freezer.  Smugness.

• Like 1

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Short update on international travel: daughter is at the Montreal airport now, waiting on her flight.  She was the only person going through security.  The only one going through customs.   And at least as of a little while ago, the only one at her gate.  A classmate flew to LGA yesterday and was the only passenger on her flight.

Vince Young was so ahead of his time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away