Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Remember when I suggested changing the thread title to comply with CDC guidelines and yall said there's no way anybody is dumb enough to think that the virus is caused by chinese people?

There's some dumb fuckers out there that need things said as plainly and basically as possible, and calling it the "China Virus" as the Sec of State just did isn't gonna help these dumbasses get the right message. And nevermind that it's stoking racist and counterfactual fears that could make things worse by focusing on the wrong things.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Remember when I suggested changing the thread title to comply with CDC guidelines and yall said there's no way anybody is dumb enough to think that the virus is caused by chinese people?

There's some dumb fuckers out there that need things said as plainly and basically as possible, and calling it the "China Virus" as the Sec of State just did isn't gonna help these dumbasses get the right message. And nevermind that it's stoking racist and counterfactual fears that could make things worse by focusing on the wrong things.

Well, it's Kansas, so...

Fauci on the podium now.  That's what leadership is folks, despite him being a small 78 year old scientist.  one of the other people on there looks like a character from "They Live" after you put the glasses on.  

Yeah, yeah...no politics.  Well, the smartest virologist on the planet is talking right now so maybe it has something to do with this thread.  

4 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Exactly which demographics? (serious question)
Italians have a longer life expectancy than Americans (fact that I could find), but I suspect that they have more smokes so that could impact.

They have a shit ton of old people which tend to die at a higher rate. 

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

The #1, #4, and #5 most populated states have shut it all down in the last 18 hrs. I expect most of the rest to follow suit today and tomorrow

There's lots of stuff not shut down in PA, including all oil and gas operations.

Siap 

Marijuana dispensaries are deemed 'essential' in LA, allowed to stay open during coronavirus order

11:54 AM EDT March 20, 2020

With California residents being asked to stay at home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and all "non-essential businesses and areas" being closed down, officials in Los Angeles are making sure that marijuana is still available to the public.

Marijuana dispensaries are being deemed as "essential businesses," as they are allowed to remain open under the state's "Safer at Home" order.

Los Angeles has "cannabis dispensaries with a medicinal cannabis license" listed under "essential infrastructure" or "healthcare operations" that are exempt from closing.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom made the announcement on Thursday night, asking nearly 40 million residents in the state to stay at home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

"There's a mutuality, and there's a recognition of our interdependence, that requires of this moment that we direct a statewide order for people to stay at home," Newsom said.

There are approximately 995 cases in California, including "presumptive positive" cases and 19 deaths. The US has more than 13,634 cases with at least 196 deaths.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Short update on international travel: daughter is at the Montreal airport now, waiting on her flight.  She was the only person going through security.  The only one going through customs.   And at least as of a little while ago, the only one at her gate.  A classmate flew to LGA yesterday and was the only passenger on her flight.

I am sincerely glad to hear she is safely coming home. Even though I haven’t commented before this, she has been in my thoughts since you first posted her predicament.... and you as well. Her repatriation should help immensely calm your stress.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stone oak said:

There's lots of stuff not shut down in PA, including all oil and gas operations.

This is what I found for the tentative essential list.  Here in Houston, I'm not sure much would change from what has already been done.

https://www.bizjournals.com/albany/news/2020/03/19/new-york-state-businesses-workforce-25-percent.html

Here's the tentative list:

• Health care operations, including research and laboratory services (most elective surgeries have been asked to postpone)
  • Infrastructure, including utilities, telecommunication, airports and transportation
  • Manufacturing, including food processing and pharmaceuticals
  • Retail, including grocery stores and pharmacies
  • Services, including trash collection, mail and shipping
  • News media
  • Banks and related financial institutions
  • Providers of basic necessities to economically disadvantaged populations
  • Construction
  • Vendors of essential services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation and essential operations of residences or other essential businesses (think janitorial firms)
  • Vendors that provide essential services or products, including logistics and technology support, child care
  • Services needed to ensure the continuing operation of government agencies and provide for the health, safety and welfare of the public

3 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Heard from a co worker who hear from a friend of a friend type thing who is high ranking in Bexar Co/San Antonio that they expect a shelter in place order by the beginning of next week.

I'm now taking it as a given that Austin will do this in the very near future. 

24 minutes ago, Pancho said:

Hearing that Hildalgo hasn't ruled it out, but Turner said "nah chief."

But, Turner has a PC scheduled for noon so...

so we wait

7 minutes ago, stone oak said:

at $20/barrel those will be shut down soon enough.

Hell may be in my future for many reasons but I’m probably piling on at this point. Today was sitting outside a grocery store watching patrons enter an exit when I realized that for the past couple weeks I’ve been looking at certain people (age/body type/obvious health problems) with a certain sympathetic look while thinking, you’re not going to make it through this.

Edited by Casual Encounter
* They’ll probably outlive me.

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't.  We'll just have to see. It may work and it may not work.  

Wow.  Where do I send my $27?  Fucking leadership right there folks.  Bold, willing to take a stand.  I am in awe. 

4 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

How is construction considered essential u less it’s for temp hospitals and etc?

That's just what is on the list.  I will say though that there is a lot of not hospital related construction that you don't want to shut down if you still want toilet paper, food, vehicles to deliver those items, etc

Just now, Lobo said:

Maybe there is, maybe there isn't.  We'll just have to see. It may work and it may not work.  

Wow.  Where do I send my $27?  Fucking leadership right there folks.  Bold, willing to take a stand.  I am in awe. 

He's got a feeling, ok? The medical experts don't know one way or another, but he's got a gut feeling it'll work. "What the hell do you have to lose", followed by him going off on a reporter and calling him a nasty man for asking if the president is concerned about how many people have taken a lax approach to preparations due to his rhetoric.

He was doing so well, until someone asked him a hard question lol.

"Let's try the new drug! What do we have to lose? Maybe it'll work, maybe it wont" - POTUS

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

15 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The craziest thing about this whole deal has been how delayed/ineffective govt actions have been

I don’t know, seems like there’s a lot that’s way crazier.  I mean, what do you expect?  Like massive death is pretty crazy.  Eating bats.  No toilet paper.

15 minutes ago, Doc Reeves said:

Siap 

Marijuana dispensaries are deemed 'essential' in LA, allowed to stay open during coronavirus order

11:54 AM EDT March 20, 2020

With California residents being asked to stay at home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus and all "non-essential businesses and areas" being closed down, officials in Los Angeles are making sure that marijuana is still available to the public.

Marijuana dispensaries are being deemed as "essential businesses," as they are allowed to remain open under the state's "Safer at Home" order.

Los Angeles has "cannabis dispensaries with a medicinal cannabis license" listed under "essential infrastructure" or "healthcare operations" that are exempt from closing.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom made the announcement on Thursday night, asking nearly 40 million residents in the state to stay at home to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.

"There's a mutuality, and there's a recognition of our interdependence, that requires of this moment that we direct a statewide order for people to stay at home," Newsom said.

There are approximately 995 cases in California, including "presumptive positive" cases and 19 deaths. The US has more than 13,634 cases with at least 196 deaths.

I just put in an order for 2 oz's from my local pusher.  Yeah I'm hoarding weed... come at me brah, and I'll share with you.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Some States have the rule of no more than 10 people in a group.  Bars and restaurants are closed.  So what does "shelter in place" mean, that we are already prevented from doing?  Can we go to the park?  Are drive through's closed?

They can hand out fines 

14 minutes ago, Bevo VIII said:

Heard from a co worker who hear from a friend of a friend type thing who is high ranking in Bexar Co/San Antonio that they expect a shelter in place order by the beginning of next week.

Heard from a close friend, who has a close friend, who's an officer in the national guard that the Stafford act is being discussed seriously now.

The son in the Air Force (who's has been confined to his apt. since a week ago by military order) says he hasn't been notified of anything like that yet, but you know how a kid will lie....

9 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Some States have the rule of no more than 10 people in a group.  Bars and restaurants are closed.  So what does "shelter in place" mean, that we are already prevented from doing?  Can we go to the park?  Are drive through's closed?

Not all workplaces are closed.  Unless you are deemed "essential," a shelter in place keeps you from going into work.

My office is on a rotational staffing model, so it's only half occupied at a time.  A shelter in place would close it and force everyone to WFH. 

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

This presser has a rather different tone.  Even Fauci getting into it.

Fauci is a fucking national hero. 

Attitudes (including "leadership's" attitudes) started to change in this country after he testified to Congress last week.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, justhookit said:

I’ve discovered that if you don’t read any posts that mention Brisket’s daughter, this thread website drops to 11 pages and can be read in 30 minutes.

Somone could start a designated thread. Put in DT or Food and Travel?

11 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Remember about 100 pages ago when I asked why Africa hasn't been hit badly?

A guy I work with who grew up in Uganda said that he (and everyone else there) has been taking Hydroxychloroquine every day since they were kids to ward off malaria.

cosmo kramer mind blown GIF

8 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Fauci is a fucking national hero. 

Attitudes (including "leadership's" attitudes) started to change in this country after he testified to Congress last week.

Calm, reasoned commentary with out wild speculation or throwing blame around makes folks pay attention I've found.

• Like 2

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away