Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Iceman said:

so the virus is simply airborne like pollen now? 48 miles apart...

and the feedlot ties in how, again?

Gotdammit with the hyperbole...

Pointing out that two small West Texas counties with a total population of barely 10k are seeing cases now. 

Hereford is worrisome because I'd guess there have been a shit ton of truck drivers in and out of there in the past few weeks.  Yes, like any distribution center.  I know we're not able to contain at this point.  Its just worrying.

1 minute ago, Somnio said:

It's a little disconcerting that all the stores are still having so many empty shelves.  I kind of figured the masses would all stockpile, and after a few days things would start to normalize.  That is not the case at the stores I've been going to. 

Even with the stores limiting purchases the shelves seem barren of many products.  What's the deal?  Are there people just going crazy and making multiple trips daily and saying fuck everyone else? 

It's getting ridiculous, and is frustrating when you can't buy what you need.  Especially when I imagine some jackass with five years worth of dish soap sitting under his sink, and I can't find one fucking bottle.

It depends on the item and the category.  With food items, they're legitimately using the product.  Granted, it's not he same people going every day but it's people making return trips at this point.  Keep in mind families are cooking three meals a day now whereas before they were doing maybe one.  With other categories like TP, you're right.  We have no idea why they're buying so much.

Just now, Somnio said:

It's a little disconcerting that all the stores are still having so many empty shelves.  I kind of figured the masses would all stockpile, and after a few days things would start to normalize.  That is not the case at the stores I've been going to. 

Even with the stores limiting purchases the shelves seem barren of many products.  What's the deal?  Are there people just going crazy and making multiple trips daily and saying fuck everyone else? 

It's getting ridiculous, and is frustrating when you can't buy what you need.  Especially when I imagine some jackass with five years worth of dish soap sitting under his sink, and I can't find one fucking bottle.

yes.

Keep in mind suppliers keep about 5-days on hand.  Then 2.5 weeks-ish  at their production facilities.

The pipeline took a mighty hit when everyone went nuts. Add in spring break, then extended spring break, then another week and you have mass buying, regardless of what people might actually need.

When dealing with the hurricanes or other natural disasters, resources are pulled from the unaffected areas.  Where are those now?

OUr numbers this week are 150-160% of last year, same week.  This is after crushing it last week with 120-130% growth.

It's not sustainable at all.

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Pointing out that two small West Texas counties with a total population of barely 10k are seeing cases now. 

Hereford is worrisome because I'd guess there have been a shit ton of truck drivers in and out of there in the past few weeks.  Yes, like any distribution center.  I know we're not able to contain at this point.  Its just worrying.

fair points.

30 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Interesting number from Houston's drive through testing yesterday, estimated total tests was in the hundreds, this is the ages of those getting tested. Results aren't back yet on how many have it. 

4% under 8 years old 

5% 10-18 years old

18% 19-27 years old

45% 28-45 years old

32 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Interesting number from Houston's drive through testing yesterday, estimated total tests was in the hundreds, this is the ages of those getting tested. Results aren't back yet on how many have it. 

4% under 8 years old 

5% 10-18 years old

18% 19-27 years old

45% 28-45 years old

Yep.  90% probably have nothing but oak allergies.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Oldham County (10-15  miles west of Amarillo and a population of 2,100 ) and Castro County (25-30 miles south of Amarillo and a population of 7,800) are in the list.   So it's getting to the small towns now. 

Castro is scary because there is a significant stockyard in Hereford that is just a few miles north of the county line.  Hereford calls itself the Beef Capitol of the World.   If the wind is blowing from the south people in Amarillo complain that they can smell Hereford andyou can.  So there's a good chance that a lot more people, and not just in Hereford, have it in West Texas.

those towns need to really quarantine their older populations.

4 minutes ago, Somnio said:

Shipments are having to focus on stocking things like milk, eggs, and other vital calories and goods. Oh, and toilet paper because of idiots. HEB has even asked people to stop buying up TP so they can make room for more vital supplies on their trucks.

I went to HEB this morning after the rush. No line, took less than an hour. Plenty of perfectly good calories on the shelves. Made me realize that people are showing up early to buy what they want, not what they need. There's perfectly edible, legitimate calories on the shelf. Is it your favorite food? Who cares? We are in a national emergency. Feed your body. You might have to go a week without eggs. You might have to go a week without butter (which was absolutely cleared out at my HEB). So please don't rush to a crowded grocery store and increase your chance of infection, stress yourself out, and add even more panic into your life. Eat what's there now and we'll all look back on this in a couple of years when we are freely eating our favorite foods with a greater appreciation for them.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

yes.

Keep in mind suppliers keep about 5-days on hand.  Then 2.5 weeks-ish  at their production facilities.

The pipeline took a mighty hit when everyone went nuts. Add in spring break, then extended spring break, then another week and you have mass buying, regardless of what people might actually need.

When dealing with the hurricanes or other natural disasters, resources are pulled from the unaffected areas.  Where are those now?

OUr numbers this week are 150-160% of last year, same week.  This is after crushing it last week with 120-130% growth.

It's not sustainable at all.

Back a week or so ago the Walmart guy at Trump's PC said there were manufacturer-level delays on clorox wipes, hand sanitizer and paper goods.  What does that mean?  Months?  Weeks?  I need some paper towels to use as filters for my "manufacturing" business.

16 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Texas board of pharmacy just passed an emergency rule a few minutes ago stating that pharmacists are not allowed to dispense hydroxychloroquine inconsistent with the evidence of its use so that effectively makes these orders illegal. If the prescription is given a valid diagnosis code it cannot be for more than 14 days worth or have refills. So there we go.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WASHINGTON—Admitting he was blindsided by the hysterical reaction to a pretty normal transaction, North Carolina Senator Richard Burr wondered Friday when profiting off mass suffering had suddenly become a crime in this country. “Jesus Christ, when did everyone get so uptight about this? I remember when we used to celebrate people who used their talent and connections to get rich from death and anguish,” said Burr, who claimed what he did was no different than what many successful, patriotic Americans have been doing for hundreds of years. “Even Tucker Carlson is being a little bitch about this. What’s the big deal? Didn’t we all decide this was cool in the 2008 recession? Last time I checked, using sensitive information to enrich yourself at the expense of hundreds of millions of other people was totally fine. I talked to Kelly [Loeffler] and Ron [Johnson] about cashing out, and nobody even batted an eye. What’s the point of being a senator if you can’t profit off the world’s problems? I’m making money, not losing it, but I guess jealous people have decided that becoming rich and powerful from a national tragedy is suddenly evil. There’s something seriously wrong with this country.” At press time, Burr announced his intentions to resign after shamefully admitting he only pulled in a 22% return from his insider trading

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Shipments are having to focus on stocking things like milk, eggs, and other vital calories and goods. Oh, and toilet paper because of idiots. HEB has even asked people to stop buying up TP so they can make room for more vital supplies on their trucks.

I went to HEB this morning after the rush. No line, took less than an hour. Plenty of perfectly good calories on the shelves. Made me realize that people are showing up early to buy what they want, not what they need. There's perfectly edible, legitimate calories on the shelf. Is it your favorite food? Who cares? We are in a national emergency. Feed your body. You might have to go a week without eggs. You might have to go a week without butter (which was absolutely cleared out at my HEB). So please don't rush to a crowded grocery store and increase your chance of infection, stress yourself out, and add even more panic into your life. Eat what's there now and we'll all look back on this in a couple of years when we are freely eating our favorite foods with a greater appreciation for them.

It seems like the staples for cooking are going (eggs, butter, flour, milk, etc).  I saw a run on cooking oil even.

3 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Back a week or so ago the Walmart guy at Trump's PC said there were manufacturer-level delays on clorox wipes, hand sanitizer and paper goods.  What does that mean?  Months?  Weeks?  I need some paper towels to use as filters for my "manufacturing" business.

I don't know their limitations/ production abilities with regard to paper goods.  In their defense, I don't think we have ever witnessed a run on TP like this in the history of mankind.  I think sourcing the base chemicals is the biggest challenge now, as there have been calls for improvised 'distilleries' for increased production of anti-bacterial gels and whatnot.  As for paper towels, I cannot answer that either... sorry not my area of expertise.

21 minutes ago, Somnio said:

I haven't seen TP anywhere this past week.  I'm good for another week, probably 2 with a household of 4, but shit I'm going to need it eventually.  

Youngest bro works in a pharmacy in a food store and said TP came in the other day and was surrounded by a horde of people.  Was all gone in a few minutes.

I've been able to get everything else needed.

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

New York is blowing up. Almost 60% of the new cases today. Almost half the total cases in the US. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Their governor said that was going to happen because they ramped up their testing capability. He was preparing everyone for this news, which was a good move.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Youngest bro works in a pharmacy in a food store and said TP came in the other day and was surrounded by a horde of people.  Was all gone in a few minutes.

So retarded.  It reminds me of the gas "shortage" a few years ago caused by nothing but people acting irrationally and panicing.

8 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

New York is blowing up. Almost 60% of the new cases today. Almost half the total cases in the US. 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Obviously the 18,477 cases is not accurate due to lack of testing but am I correct in assuming the 64 serious or critical cases is likely close to accurate?  Surely there aren’t many that are hospitalized in critical condition and not tested. 

If so that number seems very positive, even more so when you consider how many cases there really are. 

Edited by Don Johnson
  • Like 1

Just now, Elmer_Fudd said:

I haven't seen TP anywhere this past week.  I'm good for another week, probably 2 with a household of 4, but shit I'm going to need it eventually.  

I've been able to get everything else needed.

A co-worker told me that they were finally able to get into HEB after waiting in line, and there were people just waiting by the TP section for it to be restocked.  Fuck those ashholes.  They should be banned from HEB.  

New York is testing 10,000 people per day.  Contact your local politician why they can't do the same.

NY Coronavirus: Testing Reaches 10,000 A Day

The priorities for getting tested are the same as on March 8, when there were 105 confirmed cases in New York. There were 7,102 cases Friday

Since the first week of New York's new coronavirus outbreak, Gov. Andrew Cuomo has been urgent about expanding the ability to test people for it — so that if they are confirmed positive, they can go into isolation and their contacts can go into quarantine.

It's all about reducing the rate of the virus's spread, because at this rate the state's healthcare system will be overwhelmed with severely sick people needing hospitalization, as happened in Italy and elsewhere, he said.

Overnight, the state did 10,000 tests, Cuomo said in a midday news conference on Friday. That's a massive increase from two weeks ago.

https://patch.com/new-york/nyack/ny-coronavirus-testing-reaches-10-000-day

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

Obviously the 18,477 cases is not accurate due to lack of testing but am I correct in assuming the 64 serious or critical cases is likely close to accurate?  Surely there aren’t many that are hospitalized in critical condition and not tested. 

If so that number seems very positive, even more so when you consider how many cases there really are. 

Sick people or deaths is probably a lagging indicator, but if the explosion of positives due to higher testing doesn't manifest in a higher body count oner the next week - 10 days, that's probably very positive.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

It seems like the staples for cooking are going (eggs, butter, flour, milk, etc).  I saw a run on cooking oil even.

Yeah, all but the most expensive olive oils were gone. Cooking spray still fully stocked. Pancake mix was all gone. Rice was there. Dry beans were there. Fresh chicken was gone except for fajitas. Beef was there. Sausages were there, bacon was there. Plenty of hot dogs, hot dog buns. Tons of frozen pizza. Tons of Blue Bell and nothing left of Creamy Creations and other brands. Got a kick out of that... I mean, I get it. My wife was a nutritionist before staying home with the kids. I told her to accept what came home with me because that's what is available and keep her comments to herself. She almost started an argument when she felt the need to point out the sodium content of ramen. Sorry, but there weren't any whole wheat noodles or brown rice or almond milk on the shelves. A lot of this food isn't what we want to eat, right now, but we need to eat and the stress of finding "good" food far outweighs the negatives of what's on the shelves, in moderation.

We're in a new reality for the foreseeable future. Adapt.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VolenteHawk said:

Sick people or deaths is probably a lagging indicator, but if the explosion of positives due to higher testing doesn't manifest in a higher body count oner the next week - 10 days, that's probably very positive.

?

Deaths are based on actual cases, not confirmed cases. There's no reason that higher testing should lead to higher deaths. What higher testing should do is lower the known death rate as we increase the denominator.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MissingInAction said:

Will birth rates spike or plummet in 9 months? Social distancing along with couples stuck in the same home for 2 months straigt.

I'd predict plummet.  Not many accidental pregnancy when there's no bar/party scene.  Responsible couples living together probably already use birth control . 

2 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'd predict plummet.  Not many accidental pregnancy when there's no bar/party scene.  Responsible couples living together probably already use birth control . 

Word on the street is that the pharmacies are depleting their plan b supply on the daily. 

2 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

So lonely... a Vic special just walked down the street, and instead of disgust I was calculating what it would take to get my dick up in that.

Combine this thought with the Donner party subthread and you've got a twofer.

• Haha 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away