Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, NoName said:

how many of those other countries are our size geographically - so decentralized - or are our size by population?

yes, we should be doing much much much better but let's not try to compare it to South Korea (US is at 94 people per square mile - South Korea is at 1302 per square mile, US has 6.4x population and 99x landmass)

again - we should be doing better and testing more. not saying that. just tired of all of the comparisons that aren't really comparisons or aren't even close to apples to apples. 

Yes, we have a federal system and have a much more decentralized system than South Korea. In response to that dilemma, maybe the feds should have immediately begun to work with states to ensure a distribution network so that each was able to provide kits to their respective populations in a coordinated manner.

Upthread someone mentioned a 3-mile-long line for a drive-thru test site in New Jersey. Wanna guess the population density of that state? 1213 per square mile or roughly that of South Korea.

It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to recognize our system adds an additional step and realize we need to have advance planning in place for scenarios like this. And I'm sure that during the height of the Cold War, we did have all sorts of shit like this gamed out for multiple contingencies such as combatting the spread of biological weapons.

If anything, this entire debacle just shows that we as a country need to get back in the mindset of demanding good, competent governance at the highest levels and expecting expertise among the technocrats.

3 hours ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com

Has us at 3750 for the day.. 1200 until we pass yesterday’s total which would be tonight

We’ll have to reach 6000 to meet the 48 hr double rate.

Deaths are wayyy down today. 14 so far vs 58 yesterday

4,800 so far, but only 30 deaths listed.  

2 hours ago, Shaggybevo said:

I've made a list of my neighbors, and ranking them in preparation of going full Donner Party.

Anybody else doing this?

We should have list of lists going.   Lists of neighbors who prepped big time.  Lists of Potential Future Spouses (in case your’s kicks it or spending weeks in quarantine ends your marriage).  Etc.

• Like 1

Damnit San Antonio.  2 in the same church, adult, and a kid   

https://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/Parishioner-at-San-Antonio-church-tested-positive-15146324.php

A parishioner at Our Lady of The Atonement Catholic Church tested positive for COVID-19, according to a letter to the congregation from Rev. Mark Lewis.

The individual, who is now self-quarantined, had attended Mass on Sat., March 14 at 10 a.m. and on Sun., March 15 at 11 a.m.

The person's symptoms "seem to indicate the exposure was recent," Lewis wrote on Thursday.

Lewis, the pastor at the Northwest Side church, said he was informed Thursday afternoon that a parent of a student at The Atonement Academy had tested positive for the virus. The Academy is a private, K-12 school attached to the church.

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We should have list of lists going.   Lists of neighbors who prepped big time.  Lists of Potential Future Spouses (in case your’s kicks it or spending weeks in quarantine ends your marriage).  Etc.

How about a list of those who waited hours in Ft. Bend County for a free bottle of disinfectant. 

33 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

?

Deaths are based on actual cases, not confirmed cases. There's no reason that higher testing should lead to higher deaths. What higher testing should do is lower the known death rate as we increase the denominator.

I think what’s meant is that deaths today reflect relative case incidence for 15-20 days ago, ie about 5 to 6 case doubling intervals.  So with no real flattening over the last 15 days we could see increases in absolute deaths that reflect two weeks of exponential spread.

32 minutes ago, dingleberryswitzer said:

I'd predict plummet.  Not many accidental pregnancy when there's no bar/party scene.  Responsible couples living together probably already use birth control . 

You are giving the average american wayyyyyy too much credit.

The wifes company hands out little bottles of logoed hand sanitizers.   We both just realized we have 5-6 cases of the stuff in the garage (moved from garage now in the middle of the great room where I can keep an eye on it) 

We're sitting on a retirement fund I tell ya.

1 hour ago, Somnio said:

It's a little disconcerting that all the stores are still having so many empty shelves.  I kind of figured the masses would all stockpile, and after a few days things would start to normalize.  That is not the case at the stores I've been going to. 

Even with the stores limiting purchases the shelves seem barren of many products.  What's the deal?  Are there people just going crazy and making multiple trips daily and saying fuck everyone else? 

It's getting ridiculous, and is frustrating when you can't buy what you need.  Especially when I imagine some jackass with five years worth of dish soap sitting under his sink, and I can't find one fucking bottle.

Don’t discount this:  There’s a whole helluva lot of people out there who are not used to cooking/eating at home for a week or two at a time.   A lot of people eat at restaurants/fast food joints multiple times during the week, grab breakfast tacos or donuts on the way to work, have their kids eat school lunches, etc.   And plenty of people don’t buy more than a week’s worth of groceries at time, and mix all of that together, and you’ve got a lot of people buying more at the grocery store than normal    

Some of the other stuff is really stupid.  No argument there.    No need for them to be sold out of paper towels, Magnum condoms, etc.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Welp, looks like ICU staff at Hermann Memorial City have been told that they will have to quarantine and not go home until the epidemic clears up. The hotels in Memorial City dont want them staying there, so they are going to sleep in cots in the mall

jfc we’ve dropped the ball on this fucking thing

Where did you hear this?

25 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Does anyone have any information if whatever company/companies  make ventilators have all their factories going round the clock?

Sadly it seems that 95% of people who end up with a ventilator dies.

12 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Daughter’s home. A little PTSD, we’re picking up Whataburger to help.

Grab me a patty melt, throw some grilled japs on that hoe, large fries, spicy ketchup x 3..

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

No need for them to be sold out of paper towels

One of the first things I realized once I started semi-isolation, was that I was using a LOT more paper towels than usual. Once I started to get into the routine of disinfecting stuff, for me that is a paper towel and some alcohol, and I will be doing this a lot, probably for months and months. Plus being home and eating at home all the time I use more. It is the most sanitary way to dry your hands after washing too. I looked at my towel stash, and it was obviously inadequate. So off to HEB I went!

19 hours ago, Newdoc said:

This is correct and there really isn’t an increased liability if we are using a drug off label with good standard of care and informed patient consent.  The insurance company doesn’t care either unless it’s an expensive branded drug which the chloroquines are not. At least not now, and if you can get it.

There's potentially False Claims Act liability if Medicare, Medicaid etc. is footing the bill. 

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Maybe grab some Molson or LaBatts from HEB on the way home as well.

Too soon?

I mean it's been in his daughter, what's the worst if it's in his home? 

Edited by ztejas

8 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I highly recommend the social distancing happy hour. A small group of us dads sat out last night in the cul-de-sac, appropriately spaced and byob of course. It was good to have some decompression time.

The wives have threatened to show up tonight. I’m pretty sure it’s still too dangerous out there for them.

No worries I'll be comforting them in the safety of their shelter...

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

?

Deaths are based on actual cases, not confirmed cases. There's no reason that higher testing should lead to higher deaths. What higher testing should do is lower the known death rate as we increase the denominator.

Right, but we’re testing more ANd the virus is spreading, so it’s hard to say how much the contribution is from each. We’re still not an incubation period away from when we got serious about doing something. I don’t think the death rate lowers for another week or two, and it could still accelerate in the meantime as the problem has gotten more widespread.

we had a french exchange student with us in 2017 and 2018. i've been chatting with her...she fled Paris and got to her parents in the french countryside last week (sounds like a movie, wow)...said france is in 'lockdown'.

she said one of the reasons she left the city was because...they ran out of toilet paper. 

so...anybody thinking it's just dumb americans...apparently TP hoarding is a human affliction 🤣

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Does anyone have any information if whatever company/companies  make ventilators have all their factories going round the clock?

Medtronic is what I have always seen.  You can ramp up fairly quickly...they're complicated machines but if given the resources and instruction I can think of a lot of different companies that could spit them out rather quickly.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away