Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

we had a french exchange student with us in 2017 and 2018. i've been chatting with her...she fled Paris and got to her parents in the french countryside last week (sounds like a movie, wow)...said france is in 'lockdown'.
she said one of the reasons she left the city was because...they ran out of toilet paper. 
so...anybody thinking it's just dumb americans...apparently TP hoarding is a human affliction 
je ne peux pas voir les photos
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Don’t discount this:  There’s a whole helluva lot of people out there who are not used to cooking/eating at home for a week or two at a time.   A lot of people eat at restaurants/fast food joints multiple times during the week, grab breakfast tacos or donuts on the way to work, have their kids eat school lunches, etc.   And plenty of people don’t buy more than a week’s worth of groceries at time, and mix all of that together, and you’ve got a lot of people buying more at the grocery store than normal  

Yeah, I've mentioned this in other threads, but my daughter once told me that we were the only family in her friend group that regularly cooked dinner.  Some of her friends' families literally never cooked dinner.   For some, cooking was frozen pizza/chicken nuggets.

12 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Medtronic is what I have always seen.  You can ramp up fairly quickly...they're complicated machines but if given the resources and instruction I can think of a lot of different companies that could spit them out rather quickly.  

most devices like that have a circuit board in them.  hopefully the build the boards in Taiwan and not China.

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

Anybody else turned into a total lunatic spraying the mail with lysol in the garage? Asking for a friend. 

Nope just the usual 4 stage hazmat shower set up, and 6 layers of hermetically sealed cling wrap (swapped out the tin foil till this thing blows over).

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, I've mentioned this in other threads, but my daughter once told me that we were the only family in her friend group that regularly cooked dinner.  Some of her friends' families literally never cooked dinner.   For some, cooking was frozen pizza/chicken nuggets.

which explains the dire need for TP...

1 minute ago, Beau Vine said:

So sad and fucked up. My fondest memories are meals with my relatives growing up.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Anybody else turned into a total lunatic spraying the mail with lysol in the garage? Asking for a friend. 

Yes, I am pouring vinegar outside my front door and bought an automatic and plenty of ammo. Heard they quarantined New York. Experimenting on rats, currently.

• Haha 1

With the expectation that Michigan is going to implement shelter in place over the weekend, we were encouraged to take home our laptop - so I did, and I took my monitors too.

So I'm all ready to work & surly from my own home! (sorry for the bad picture, the is pizza on that plate)

work-from-home

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

Image result for its happening everybody stay calm gif

Just heard from a relative, who's in-laws drive semi for the largest grocery chain in Michigan.
All the drivers were given letters on company letterhead which identified them as essential personnel classified as exempt from containment zones and shelter in place orders.

Most of the drivers in the industry were given that to my understanding.  

Just now, Wally Fairway said:

With the expectation that Michigan is going to implement shelter in place over the weekend, we were encouraged to take home our laptop - so I did, and I took my monitors too.

So I'm all ready to work & surly from my own home! (sorry for the bad picture, the is pizza on that plate)

work-from-home

Did same.  Have a three monitor setup in the home office.  Brought home docking station.  

I’m glad to have a job right now.  And one I can work remotely just as easily as if at the office.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

work-from-home

20200320-192505.jpg

Get a 32". Penis size irrelevant.

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, Wally Fairway said:

work-from-home

By work and surly, you mean Stonks and Surly, correct?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mchookem said:

we had a french exchange student with us in 2017 and 2018. i've been chatting with her...she fled Paris and got to her parents in the french countryside last week (sounds like a movie, wow)...said france is in 'lockdown'.

she said one of the reasons she left the city was because...they ran out of toilet paper. 

so...anybody thinking it's just dumb americans...apparently TP hoarding is a human affliction 🤣

No, Brits hoarding it too apparently.  But we can just use newspapers if we have to, like this lady did in WW2.

• Like 3

I haven't seen TP anywhere this past week.  I'm good for another week, probably 2 with a household of 4, but shit I'm going to need it eventually.  
Youngest bro works in a pharmacy in a food store and said TP came in the other day and was surrounded by a horde of people.  Was all gone in a few minutes.
I've been able to get everything else needed.
Niece who is a manager at a local Walmart told a similar story of a worker being knocked down and stepped on when he brought out a pallet with TP on it. A crowd swarmed and emptied the pallet in less than 5 minutes.

31 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Medtronic is what I have always seen.  You can ramp up fairly quickly...they're complicated machines but if given the resources and instruction I can think of a lot of different companies that could spit them out rather quickly.  

seen the opposite last 24 hours, basically they are aerospace-level technology, triple-clean-room precision yadda yadda no miracles here.

2 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Pics please. Of the whataburger. 

Didn't get any.  But mine was a #4.  And I have em grill the jalapenos and onions.  Because awesomeness.  

Daughter went with a classic #1 with cheese.  And an unsweetened iced tea, because you can't get that shit in Canada.

• Like 1

I was shopping earlier on 117th in East Harlem by the FDR Drive. Once you left that shopping area it was a sparse amount of people out. The trains are 90 percent empty. This was my first time going out since Tuesday. I go to that shopping center because they have Costco, Target and Aldi all together which is nice and because I get any prescriptions I need from that Costco. 

IMG_20200320_170533116.jpg

11 minutes ago, Modessit said:
2 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:
I haven't seen TP anywhere this past week.  I'm good for another week, probably 2 with a household of 4, but shit I'm going to need it eventually.  
Youngest bro works in a pharmacy in a food store and said TP came in the other day and was surrounded by a horde of people.  Was all gone in a few minutes.
I've been able to get everything else needed.

Niece who is a manager at a local Walmart told a similar story of a worker being knocked down and stepped on when he brought out a pallet with TP on it. A crowd swarmed and emptied the pallet in less than 5 minutes.

every office building in the country has a closet full of cases and cases of that cheap TP.   property management companies should do a solid and empty those closets and hand out 2 rolls at a time in grocery store parking lots.  blitz spirit etc.

And, on a different topic all together, the family we help out, mom just got furloughed from her job.  We just tried to help her sign up for unemployment....got the message "System unavailable."  Ummm, we've crashed the Texas online unemployment filing site.  That....can't be good.  Furk.

7 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Didn't get any.  But mine was a #4.  And I have em grill the jalapenos and onions.  Because awesomeness.  

Daughter went with a classic #1 with cheese.  And an unsweetened iced tea, because you can't get that shit in Canada.

Fuck me. 

Will trade for whataburger. 

BBE9B9BD-C826-4D47-897E-EFCDFDFEFC2A.jpeg

• Haha 1

Either I went to an HEB with an idiot manager, or they need to rethink some of their changes.  The Kroger down the street had very little shortages and much less hassle.

Got to HEB about 3:45 this afternoon, only waited in line about 15 minutes (thank you, rain dancers.)  But once inside the bakery was completely shut down, no one working, nothing in the displays, and the bread stand completely bare except for a few packages of white bread from an outside distributer (aka Food4Less quality.)  WTH?  Not much produce and the rest of the food and cleaning supplies were more than 50% empty shelves.  Was inside about a half an hour and never saw a single employee restocking.  

But they did have almost an aisle and a half of bottled water available.

I asked the checkout clerk why the bakery was closed and he said HEB was going to deemphasize that and put out more package items in that section instead.  Great, what a boneheaded choice, if true.  The only reason I came in was for fresh veggies, fresh bread, and rotis. chicken.  Was 1 for 3, might as well go to Kroger from now on.  Their fresh breads are lame compared to HEB, but at least I can buy some.

The Kroger a mile away had about the same number of shoppers at 5pm, but no lines and the shelves were about 80% full.  Bakery was open and had a big selection.  Was able to get all but one thing on my list that was out at HEB.  Though Kroger was low on ground beef, eggs, and bottled water compared to HEB.  Employees were running around restocking shelves.   

It was just one store, but did HEB just switch to not restocking during the day to lower the risk to their employees?  If so, then why not close for a couple of hours after lunch to restock and then extend hours to 10pm?  Stocking like a garage sale doesn't make sense, and will result in people rushing the store in the morning.   Bunching everyone into 12 hours of shopping instead of 15, like Kroger does, is dumb.  I went in at 9:30 Sunday night and found the anti-bac soap refills and foaming soap that have been gone from HEB's for 2 weeks.  Not good when Kroger is doing a better job than you are. 

Edited by clapclapclap

every office building in the country has a closet full of cases and cases of that cheap TP.   property management companies should do a solid and empty those closets and hand out 2 rolls at a time in grocery store parking lots.  blitz spirit etc.
Lots o tiktokz bout splittin 2 ply n2 2 rollz a office bldg 1 ply. Natsy.

8 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Why do you hate other people's buttholes? 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away