Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

22 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

seen the opposite last 24 hours, basically they are aerospace-level technology, triple-clean-room precision yadda yadda no miracles here.

I mean I agree - but we have a LOT of aerospace people that sure as hell don’t need to produce fighter jets etc.  No way in hell they can’t get it done.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Fuck me. 

Will trade for whataburger. 

BBE9B9BD-C826-4D47-897E-EFCDFDFEFC2A.jpeg

Just FYI/CSB - our contractor in Dallas used that Walmart Ultra Strong - he told us he had a plumber come in to clear his clogged drain and the guy said it was compacted all the way to the street with that paper like concrete.  Took some fancy auger to clear the line.  "Worse than if I'd used trash bags."

He recommended we use something else.  We bought a bidet.

For those looking for TP:

Go check your local Family Dollar, Dollar General, Mexican Market, etc and ask them what day and time their trucks come in with new stock. Then be there at that time regardless of how long they tell you it takes to unload. I got four 12-packs (the limit) on Wed doing this. Family Dollar was handing them out from behind the register instead of putting them on shelves. I was lucky enough to grab 2 cases of water at HEB earlier that day and another 2 cases at the Mexican market. We shouldn't have to leave the house for a couple weeks now.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I was shopping earlier on 117th in East Harlem by the FDR Drive. Once you left that shopping area it was a sparse amount of people out. The trains are 90 percent empty. This was my first time going out since Tuesday. I go to that shopping center because they have Costco, Target and Aldi all together which is nice and because I get any prescriptions I need from that Costco. 

IMG_20200320_170533116.jpg

Some of my buddies who I graduated with work in nyc.  They said this was the first time ever they drove to work.  Mind you, we were in school during 9/11...still crazy.  

Stimulus checks, market crash, businesses closed, is this going to cost more than not doing those things with a virus that has a 98.5% survival rate and a predicted 50% infection rate?  Is it overreaction or no?

I’m only asking because one day I lean this way and the next I lean that way.

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Either I went to an HEB with an idiot manager, or they need to rethink some of their changes.  The Kroger down the street had very little shortages and much less hassle.

Got to HEB about 3:45 this afternoon, only waited in line about 15 minutes (thank you, rain dancers.)  But once inside the bakery was completely shut down, no one working, nothing in the displays, and the bread stand completely bare except for a few packages of white bread from an outside distributer (aka Food4Less quality.)  WTH?  Not much produce and the rest of the food and cleaning supplies were more than 50% empty shelves.  Was inside about a half an hour and never saw a single employee restocking.  

But they did have almost an aisle and a half of bottled water available.

I asked the checkout clerk why the bakery was closed and he said HEB was going to deemphasize that and put out more package items in that section instead.  Great, what a boneheaded choice, if true.  The only reason I came in was for fresh veggies, fresh bread, and rotis. chicken.  Was 1 for 3, might as well go to Kroger from now on.  Their fresh breads are lame compared to HEB, but at least I can buy some.

The Kroger a mile away had about the same number of shoppers at 5pm, but no lines and the shelves were about 80% full.  Bakery was open and had a big selection.  Was able to get all but one thing on my list that was out at HEB.  Though Kroger was low on ground beef, eggs, and bottled water compared to HEB.  Employees were running around restocking shelves.   

It was just one store, but did HEB just switch to not restocking during the day to lower the risk to their employees?  If so, then why not close for a couple of hours after lunch to restock and then extend hours to 10pm?  Stocking like a garage sale doesn't make sense, and will result in people rushing the store in the morning.   Bunching everyone into 12 hours of shopping instead of 15, like Kroger does, is dumb.  I went in at 9:30 Sunday night and found the anti-bac soap refills and foaming soap that have been gone from HEB's for 2 weeks.  Not good when Kroger is doing a better job than you are.

Austinites think HEB is a public utility like the grid, natural gas and government.

9 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Either I went to an HEB with an idiot manager, or they need to rethink some of their changes.  The Kroger down the street had very little shortages and much less hassle.

Got to HEB about 3:45 this afternoon, only waited in line about 15 minutes (thank you, rain dancers.)  But once inside the bakery was completely shut down, no one working, nothing in the displays, and the bread stand completely bare except for a few packages of white bread from an outside distributer (aka Food4Less quality.)  WTH?  Not much produce and the rest of the food and cleaning supplies were more than 50% empty shelves.  Was inside about a half an hour and never saw a single employee restocking.  

I asked the checkout clerk why the bakery was closed and he said HEB was going to deemphasize that and put out more package items in that section instead.  Great, what a boneheaded choice, if true.  The only reason I came in was for fresh veggies, fresh bread, and rotis. chicken.  Was 1 for 3, might as well go to Kroger from now on.  Their fresh breads are lame compared to HEB, but at least I can buy some.

The Kroger a mile away had about the same number of shoppers at 5pm, but no lines and the shelves were about 80% full.  Bakery was open and had a big selection.  Was able to get all but one thing on my list that was out at HEB.  Though Kroger was low on ground beef, eggs, and bottled water compared to HEB.  Employees were running around restocking shelves.   

It was just one store, but did HEB just switch to not restocking during the day to lower the risk to their employees?  If so, then why not close for a couple of hours after lunch to restock and then extend hours to 10pm?  Stocking like a garage sale doesn't make sense, and will result in people rushing the store in the morning.   Bunching everyone into 12 hours of shopping instead of 15, like Kroger does, is dumb.  I went in at 9:30 Sunday night and found the anti-bac soap refills and foaming soap that have been gone from HEB's for 2 weeks.  Not good when Kroger is doing a better job than you are. 

Most likely, and I know this is going to blow your mind... HEB already sold through their trucks for the day.  There is NOTHING else to put out until their trucks arrive overnight.

The system is swamped, and HEB has among the very best logistics around.

Maybe I misread your post, but the Kroger is likely still 'in business' because they aren't as busy.  That's not necessarily a loss for the customer.  Go get the shit you need, but don't hold that against HEB.  They most likely got shopped first.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Texas board of pharmacy just passed an emergency rule a few minutes ago stating that pharmacists are not allowed to dispense hydroxychloroquine inconsistent with the evidence of its use so that effectively makes these orders illegal. If the prescription is given a valid diagnosis code it cannot be for more than 14 days worth or have refills. So there we go.

The stockpiling by doctors reminds me a bit of the congressmen using their position to enrich themselves during this.  I know I would not have grabbed some off the shelf for my wife/family because I would never steal. Not sure if I would have prescribed myself some had I the authority.  
I am very worried about my wife when she runs out of her current supply.

here’s a link announcing the reasoning of the emergency meeting:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kxan.com/news/state-board-of-pharmacy-pharmacists-stop-hoarding-drugs-showing-promise-to-treat-covid-19/amp/

2 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Some of my buddies who I graduated with work in nyc.  They said this was the first time ever they drove to work.  Mind you, we were in school during 9/11...still crazy.  

It is surreal to witness the city so empty. There is plenty of parking available in Manhattan, that's for sure. I am glad people here are realizing the severity of what is happening and are mostly staying in. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

I’m sorry you didn’t get your artisan bread before the world ends !

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

It is surreal to witness the city so empty. There is plenty of parking available in Manhattan, that's for sure. I am glad people here are realizing the severity of what is happening and are mostly staying in. 

Usually one must see such a site in a post apocalyptic film...

Tried a pickup order at Mi Cocina. Placed it at 5:30 for pickup at 6:45
Instructions were to stay in your car and it would be brought out. As I pulled up I saw 5-6 cars waiting. I looked inside to see 20-30 people waiting. I asked a guy walking out with food how long he waited. 1.5 hours.

What a shitshow.

7 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Most likely, and I know this is going to blow your mind... HEB already sold through their trucks for the day.  There is NOTHING else to put out until their trucks arrive overnight.

Maybe I misread your post, but the Kroger is likely still 'in business' because they aren't as busy.  That's not necessarily a loss for the customer.  Go get the shit you need, but don't hold that against HEB.  They most likely got shopped first.

HEB is also getting allocated.  Kroger is a much bigger chain and the big brands are choosing to service them over HEB.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Iceman said:

Perhaps, but still doesn't explain shutting down their damn bakery.  Any other location with a shut bakery?  Still wondering if it is an idiot manager, or maybe a worker got sick and they shut it to clean it.   

And also sounds like excuses.  HEB has 28% of the local grocery market, Walmart 25%, and Kroger 22%.  So the 'nobody shops there' line about Kroger is BS.

Edit:  Thanks, AquaB, that makes sense.

Edit: Edit:  Thanks, Cooter.

Edited by clapclapclap

13 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Stimulus checks, market crash, businesses closed, is this going to cost more than not doing those things with a virus that has a 98.5% survival rate and a predicted 50% infection rate?  Is it overreaction or no?

?

God damn I hate you. That looks so fucking good.

This made me wonder so I looked: I’m 168 miles from the nearest. But it’s been my experience that the quality falls off the further you get from Texas. Alabama, Florida, and South Georgia WB’s suck. Dunno why there aren’t any in Atlanta.

Perhaps, but still doesn't explain shutting down their damn bakery.  Any other location with a shut bakery?  Still wondering if it is an idiot manager, or maybe a worker got sick and they shut it to clean it.   
And also sounds like excuses.  HEB has 28% of the local grocery market, Walmart 25%, and Kroger 22%.  So the 'nobody shops there' line about Kroger is BS.

HEB shut the bakeries and delis in their stores to focus on necessities. They said this in their press release when all this shit started.
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Perhaps, but still doesn't explain shutting down their damn bakery.   

Dude...

If you don't understand that these are "less than ideal" circumstances, I don't know what the fuck to say.

My employer works with all retailers. I don't have a loyalty beyond the relationship HEB has with the state of Texas, of which I am a resident; and recognizing how fucking good they are at what they do on a day-to-day basis.

If you're walking around getting bent because they're out of Grey Poupon, you have ze-fucking-ro self awareness.  i hate you as a customer.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

Mehhh...... Let them eat cake.......  too soon ?

15 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

Your own numbers will lead to about 2.5 million dead Americans. 
400k in ww2 (US pop 132 million), 60k in Vietnam. 
civil war estimate of 750k, both sides.  (US population 30 million, yowzers)

So similarish  % to ww2 but much different demographics. 

6 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

what happened with the small business administration call at 245 with OM ??

Here ya go. Please stay away from politics. 

Just got off the call. It moved quickly. Here are my notes. The president and a few cabinet members spoke.

The goal is to keep small and medium sized businesses whole.

Two primary goals

1) Keep worforce employed and help workforce. Payments for the general population are being negotiated. The number $3000 was mentioned on the call.

2) Defer payroll taxes, corporate taxes and income taxes for businesses.

There is a relief package coming. Immediately 3 billion is being made available. This part was a little vague.

Billions for disaster relief loans being signed today. Economic disaster relief loans are already available in 47 states and soon to be all 50 states. Economic disaster reliefs loan will have 1 year deferred payments. Economic disaster relief loans may ultimately be forgiven. Criteria for disaster relief loans will be less stringent that criteria for regular SBA loans.

Regular SBA loan payments may be deferred up to 6 months.

Sick leave and medical leave for employees at no cost to employers. Dollar for dollar tax credit.

There was a little more but it went so fast that I don't want to put something inaccurate here.

• Like 1

?

There was a thread about this but I don’t know where it went. There was an editorial in the WSJ this morning that basically opined that the drastic impact to the economy may not be worth the lives saved, and that phase two needs to incorporate some sort of quarantine for those at risk and everyone else needs to get back to work.

I see the argument. No easy answers.

13 minutes ago, T’Boo Ted Marshall said:

Tried a pickup order at Mi Cocina. Placed it at 5:30 for pickup at 6:45
Instructions were to stay in your car and it would be brought out. As I pulled up I saw 5-6 cars waiting. I looked inside to see 20-30 people waiting. I asked a guy walking out with food how long he waited. 1.5 hours.

What a shitshow.

That's not surprising.  Where else are all the Park cities people going to get Mexican food? A real Mexican restaurant?

1 minute ago, Iceman said:

Dude...

If you don't understand that these are "less than ideal" circumstances, I don't know what the fuck to say.

My employer works with all retailers. I don't have a loyalty beyond the relationship HEB has with the state of Texas, of which I am a resident; and recognizing how fucking good they are at what they do on a day-to-day basis.

If you're walking around getting bent because they're out of Grey Poupon, you have ze-fucking-ro self awareness.  i hate you as a customer.

Thanks, Captain Overreact.  It's definitely must be totally unrealistic entitlement whenever anyone notices that one chain may be doing some things better than another.  

1 minute ago, clapclapclap said:

Thanks, Captain Overreact.  It's definitely must be totally unrealistic entitlement whenever anyone notices that one chain may be doing some things better than another.  

sure you went to 2 different stores.

Great assessment.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away