Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

cases mean fuckall with our testing disaster.  we'll never get a real CFR.  the only metrics i care about now are percentages of negatives of tests administered, number hospitalized, the percentage of hospitalizations that go ICU, and the body count.  and we won't know about the number needing hospitalization or ICU as affected by the lockdown for a fucking month.  we need to go to april 15th, the 1% are not willing to hand over a month of free, and we're going to end up half-assing this and unlocking in 2 weeks.

6 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I've met your daugher. We worked together to help a family overcome tragedy. She's not one I would ever worry about. 

Yeah, she's not normal at all, thankfully.  May you get as lucky as me, but probably not.  It was stil pretty frightening to drive her 1000 miles away and drop her off for college. 

Edited by Beau Vine

On 3/18/2020 at 12:43 PM, Brisketexan said:

Also, not thrilled to see the italian death correlation to high blood pressure.  I wonder if that's UNTREATED HBP, or just having it as an underlying condition in general?  I have mild HBP (losing a few pounds would help in that regard -- may be using this situation as the opportunity to do just that with diet and exercise), but not off the charts high.  And as treated, it's perfectly normal.  So, would be interested in seeing the data on that.

Nevermind the concerns about ACE inhibitors and ARBs (Losartan, which I am on).  Of course, there's some data out there that ARBs actually might be an effective anti-viral treatment (they had some effect on West Nile cases)....so, it seems we still don't know a lot, and there remains conflicting info.  Sigh.

Losartan currently being trialed for CV-19 treatment.

Also this week, the University of Minnesota launched two trials testing losartan - one to measure whether the hypertension drug reduces the risk of organ failure for COVID-19 patients who have been hospitalized, and another looking at whether the drug can limit the need for hospitalizations.

Losartan is an angiotensin receptor 1 (AT1R) blocker, which researchers say could play a role in blocking an enzyme used by the virus to bind to cells.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-treatments-idUSKBN2161QQ

Edited by Shaggybevo

17 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

Losartan currently being trialed for CV-19 treatment.

Also this week, the University of Minnesota launched two trials testing losartan - one to measure whether the hypertension drug reduces the risk of organ failure for COVID-19 patients who have been hospitalized, and another looking at whether the drug can limit the need for hospitalizations.

Losartan is an angiotensin receptor 1 (AT1R) blocker, which researchers say could play a role in blocking an enzyme used by the virus to bind to cells.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-usa-treatments-idUSKBN2161QQ

So again, we don’t know shit.  Fauci was on CNN Thursday night saying there might be something to the whole “ACEI/ARB makes it worse” thing. 

So again, we don’t know shit.  Fauci was on CNN Thursday night saying there might be something to the whole “ACEI/ARB makes it worse” thing. 
If Losartan and/or hydroxychloroquine actually works, the Govt can't yet say it works. If they say it works then it's the toilet paper run all over again, but worse.

People are already contacting their doctors for Losartan and hydroxyc prescriptions.

Govt would need to build stocks for first responders and patients first before the toilet paper hoarders attack.

1 hour ago, Hagbard Celine said:

are you insulting his daughter's comeliness or complimenting her integrity and virtue?

Using transitive properties,  the child of a lawyer has suspect integrity and virtue.

But then again, I post on Surly.  My kids are doomed.

12 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Sorry guys but fuck.. I am losing it.  We will be fine.. or we wont ..or the whole world collapses.. meh.. its what ants go through every day.

The losses are real.  People will come together.  What is most important will become more clear.

11 minutes ago, Shaggybevo said:

If Losartan and/or hydroxychloroquine actually works, the Govt can't yet say it works. If they say it works then it's the toilet paper run all over again, but worse.

People are already contacting their doctors for Losartan and hydroxyc prescriptions.

Govt would need to build stocks for first responders and patients first before the toilet paper hoarders attack.

Losartan may be a double edged sword.  After you get CV19, it may do a bunch of good things protecting your lungs, but if you don't yet have CV19, Losartan might lead to increased ACE2 expression which might make you more susceptible get get CV19. ACE2 receptors are how the virus gets in.  It's been posted a couple times before, but http://www.nephjc.com/news/covidace2 is a in depth write up on it.

14 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Well, I don't even know what D3 is, so I might even be taking more.  Is it found in Cheetos?

No dumbass. It’s the one where Gordon Bombay comes back to coach the ducks at the prep school. 

13 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I just put in an order for 2 oz's from my local pusher.  Yeah I'm hoarding weed... come at me brah, and I'll share with you.

Houston? If so, I want in. Willing to trade hand sanitizer or n95’s.

The local sheriff in my county is still calling out On Facebook  the media for a ploy vs the republicans for this whole thing and it’s demo disease....   Someone else setup a meetup to do drink at a local restaurant tonight before they got shut down..  I have a feeling small town Texas with their mentality (a case was already confirmed) will be just as effected as big cities % wise soon due to stupidity. 

Edited by Hook1997

44 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Sorry guys but fuck.. I am losing it.  We will be fine.. or we wont ..or the whole world collapses.. meh.. its what ants go through every day.

something tells me you've been through much more trying times.

giphy.gif

Edited by Hmmm

3 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Of all the businesses and industries that are gonna get hit hard by this, Vegas is not on the list of those I worry about. The house always wins. 

I’m not worried about Vegas.  I’m worried about me not being able to be a belligerent asshole there...by Memorial Day.  

42 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

The local sheriff in my county is still calling out On Facebook  the media for a ploy vs the republicans for this whole thing and it’s demo disease....   Someone else setup a meetup to do drink at a local restaurant tonight before they got shut down..  I have a feeling small town Texas with their mentality (a case was already confirmed) will be just as effected as big cities % wise soon due to stupidity. 

Oh I’ve worked small town hospitals back in another life.  Those people are fucked on a whole other level.  Less beds per capita, almost zero truly capable intensivists - anything serious gets sent to the big city.  Well, we have never had a situation in modern times with zero big city hospital capacity.  Shitshow guaranteed.  

These places may have one respirator and almost a guarantee they have no idea how to use it properly.  It’s no surprise much of the opioid crisis took hold through very rural docs - some of whom I worked under in Med school - mandatory rural rotations.  The cute pharma girl could get those yokels to do anything.  At least in the city you would be looked at funny by colleagues.  You get rural enough there’s not too many colleagues who aren’t your drinking buddies/family etc.  And many are great docs when they start but it’s tough to stay on your toes practicing out there   Why are anesthesiologists the number one drug abusers?   They’re not drug addicts by nature just as rural docs aren’t shitty docs by nature,  just a product of their environment.  

(anesthesiologists have access to the good stuff. And literally have to be around it all day.)

Edited by ChiTownDoc
Still drinking...
  • Like 1

Houston and Texas cases are going to go through the roof in the next week;. For one reason, being able to be tested. Abbot says 22,000 tests a week coming, so probably next week. Our numbers now are incredible low, so I expect them to blow up. 

This is to be expected, and everyone expects it. The question will be the hospitals, We still haven't seen the run on the hospitals yet,  though likely coming. 

10 minutes ago, Lobwedgephil said:

Houston and Texas cases are going to go through the roof in the next week;. For one reason, being able to be tested. Abbot says 22,000 tests a week coming, so probably next week. Our numbers now are incredible low, so I expect them to blow up. 

This is to be expected, and everyone expects it. The question will be the hospitals, We still haven't seen the run on the hospitals yet,  though likely coming. 

why would 'testing' drive hospital visits?

If you're sick, you're sick... regardless. If you're not showing symptoms, are you hauling ass to the hospital?

8 minutes ago, Iceman said:

why would 'testing' drive hospital visits?

If you're sick, you're sick... regardless. If you're not showing symptoms, are you hauling ass to the hospital?

Um, you may not.  But people get this thing called anxiety.  And they overload the fuck out of ER’s.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Modessit said:

If you normally go to CostCo and have to wait in long lines to get in, you can instead place your order via Instacart and someone will go shop your order for you and bring it to your house. Instacart Shoppers are being given backdoor entry to bypass the long lines. A lot of IC shoppers are skipping or canceling HEB orders when they find they have to wait in long lines just to get in.

Pro tip: if you want your order done quickly and right, make sure you put in a nice pre-tip. Shoppers are often ridiculing those who want 100 items and put in a $2 tip and those orders sit with no takers. They're going thru all the shit so you don't have to. The good ones will keep in contact about replacements and out of stock. You can have them leave it at the door to minimize contact.

Btw - if you're using UberEats, Doordash, etc for food delivery I hope you're also tipping well. Bad tipping is a good way to not get your order next time. Drivers are having to sit thru long lines to get your food and not all restaurants are able to keep up with limited supplies. DQ was giving out Blizzards in coffee cups earlier tonight.

Pretty sure I'd take my chances on doing without before I trust someone else who's probably already sick and working because they can't afford not to. coughing, sneezing, wiping their nasty hands on my shit......I just don't get this mentality. I could always sneak into a neighbor Wal-Mart as they were opening.  I don't trust anyone else to give a shit about my needs more than me.

That goes for food delivery too, or hell even drive-thru.  No fucking way I'm assuming every single one of the workers is 100% healthy.  It only takes one to fuck it all up.

22450680-0-image-a-11_1576757742916.jpg

50F1566500000578-0-image-a-3_15385259145

fuck that shit.  No way in hell.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

How long before a segment of America backlashes on this? I’m already sensing a bit of “fuck this” attitude from some who are looking at 260 deaths in a country of 300M but also watching the destruction of the economy.

I think you’ll see a lot more in the next two weeks unless the deaths increase by a lot.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, triplehorn said:

(tl;dr)  About 3 weeks ago I registered with the Oregon Health Authority for email updates after the first covid case was diagnosed here.  A few days later when we were still at about 4-6 cases after the Vets in that nursing home got diagnosed down in the valley, I got an OHA email about a conference call with the press you could dial into to listen.  I joined the conference which had a panel of several state level medical officials and other govt policy types.  The 15-20min briefing was calm and reassuring and went on about the great length efforts that would be made to ensure the greatest protection and care would be provided to our cherished elderly Vets.  Then on the call they said you could enter a code on your phone to ask a question. 

I got patched in after hitting the buttons as the first question for the panel.  I identified myself and after acknowledging the effort to care for our nursing home elderly, I asked "considering this has a case doubling rate of 4 days with exponential spread, and that two weeks ago Italy was tranquil, and that right now our neighbors in Washington are under fire as I speak, what aggressive steps are are you considering to prevent spread such as social distancing or school closures when every day matters?"  The moderator then asks, "what news outlet are you with? Oh, this is only for press reporters *click*."  I stayed on to listen and there was a looong pause.  The reporters were freaked and the whole discourse in the room shifted.  The next day Gov. Kate Brown and some same panelists did a live webstream from PSU with a very different message speaking to urgency and laying out anticipated soon to be defined measures, making particular note of the predicament facing "our neighbors in Washington."  

Let me tell you. Losing to Auburn sure darn did suck this weekend, but I ran into an Auburn fan at the Dixie Chicken after the game, and asked him what he thought of us Ags and College Station, and hoo boy, that old cuss couldn’t stop talking about us! He said we had the gosh darn, bestest fans he’d ever seen at a sporting event! And he was just floored by our traditions! The cheers, the yell leaders, our by god traditions! Hed never seen anything like it! So let me tell you Ags, even though we got plowed by 30 points at home, we’ve got every reason to hold our heads proud and high. And a special shoutout to whichever of you fellers got kindly grabbed my new buddy’s arm and stopped him from walkin’ on our holy grass. He had special mention on how courteous and polite that fellow Ag was in stopping him from committing that unforgivable mistake. So chin up boys! In part of my new best friend told us with our money and resources, and of course our amazing fans and the picturesque Kyle Field, we’d be cruising through the SEC west and competing for national championships in no time!!

• Like 3

How long before a segment of America backlashes on this? I’m already sensing a bit of “fuck this” attitude from some who are looking at 260 deaths in a country of 300M but also watching the destruction of the economy.
Guy I'm flying* with is there.

*i have no idea why we're still flying.

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Sometime this coming week.

They will see essential infrastructure people going to work every day and say fuck it.  

4 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Oh I’ve worked small town hospitals back in another life.  Those people are fucked on a whole other level.  Less beds per capita, almost zero truly capable intensivists - anything serious gets sent to the big city.  Well, we have never had a situation in modern times with zero big city hospital capacity.  Shitshow guaranteed.  

These places may have one respirator and almost a guarantee they have no idea how to use it properly.  It’s no surprise much of the opioid crisis took hold through very rural docs - some of whom I worked under in Med school - mandatory rural rotations.  The cute pharma girl could get those yokels to do anything.  At least in the city you would be looked at funny by colleagues.  You get rural enough there’s not too many colleagues who aren’t your drinking buddies/family etc.  And many are great docs when they start but it’s tough to stay on your toes practicing out there   Why are anesthesiologists the number one drug abusers?   They’re not drug addicts by nature just as rural docs aren’t shitty docs by nature,  just a product of their environment.  

(anesthesiologists have access to the good stuff. And literally have to be around it all day.)

Ayup. My wife is from rural Kansas and her family has suffered from the really shitty doctors there. She's learned that the best doctor in town is the vet and if you want good care you need to go to Dallas.

• Like 1

I'm guessing on this one like everyone else...how long do we need to be quarantined...shelter in place etc?  I'm saying 2 months from March 14 when much of the lockdown started.  And I'm fully willing to admit that's wishful thinking so I have the green light to go be a degenerate on our annual vegas MDW trip...
I don't think folks will stand for 2 months. Govt needs to act quicker because I think the shelf life of this "quarantine" is 4-5 weeks (i.e. early May). Thwy have to get shit in place then move to more measured actions.
  • Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away