Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

Local farmers market in my town opened at 0800 to allow only fresh produce no prepared foods to be sold,  this is an enormous market that runs 2 days a week.  i got there at 0845  the line was close to 1 mile long with only a few let in at a time, estimated 3 plus hours wait.  This reminds me of stories ive seen in other countries   no cr

Went to my small, local, crappy little farmers' market this morning. Fewer vendors than usual, fewer customers than usual. Eggs sold out between the time it opened and when I got there 20 minutes later. Eggs usually sell out but not that fast.

Bought fresh greens, homemade salsa, soup, jelly. Starters for the garden. Homemade pickles. Banana bread. Hummus.

35 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

I'm using one a buddy sent me. You can click on the counties and it will give you the number of confirmed cases and deaths, but not the tested numbers.

https://infection2020.com

No confirmed cases for my county yet.

CHIEF

Cool site. Thanks for the info. As you said though, it would be great to know the total number of tested cases.

New York, Washington and California going out of control. If we can keep the major out breaks there the rest of the country could emerge that much sooner. We need a domestic ban for travel from anyone in these areas. Keep it contained to the overpopulated areas. 

127/263 deaths in these 4 states (include NJ)

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

It's something the govt has control over that could be done quickly.  It is not the last step they'll take on this, but it's a start.  It's intended to set the tone, send a message, and help prevent panic.  

And now they add that while the Feds don't yet have the authority to freeze all foreclosures and delay payments, they are working with Congress to change that.  Are working with lenders to try and get voluntary compliance in the interim.

The government has forced us into a recesssion out of perceived necessity by shutting the economy down. The masses across the country have largely complied without controversy besides the idiots on beaches in Florida. They’ve opened massive liquidity for banks and such with the fed. That needs to translate into assuring the lenders that they’ll be made whole and the US citizen can have relief until this period is over without a penalty or credit hit. That needs to also include life-lining apartment and condo landlords and their renters, impoverished up to uber wealthy.

I hope they’re building to this, because so far, in looking at SBA stuff and the packages released so far, things like eventual credits or rebates and such won’t keep companies from having to lay people off or keep many from having to close the doors. That’s started already. They need to be looking at infusing thorough liquidity with relative ease and speed at every level of the economy and population if the shutdown is going to last more than 2-3 more weeks. They’re kidding themselves if they don’t get real about the liquidity issue if the shutdown is prolonged. 

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, MrBig said:

My wife went to the doctor’s office yesterday and they were out of toilet paper. Are all medical offices experiencing this?

I have plenty, but mainly because I kept purchasing the wrong stuff. At my office, I only have room for regular sized rolls. However, almost all manufacturers have moved towards mega rolls. I kept buying costco sized packages and the rolls were too big for my dispensers. Now, I have a shitload of TP. I didn't hurt availability though because this all happened at the beginning of the year.

2 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Now imagine we had good information in Nov 2019 from China. All of that holiday travel. Plus the entire month of Dec and January. We would probably been week past our peak curve by now and many lives would have been spared. 

It’s Saturday and OU sucks (but is good people ChiTown)...Fuck China

WHO tweeted Jan 14th that it wasn't being transmitted person to person.  we had our first case show up on the Jan 19th.  he had traveled to Wuhan. 20th he tests positive.  still we don't know if it is person to person but on the 21st CDC sends a release out that the indications are that limited person to person transmission is happening.

23rd Wuhan goes under lockdown

30th WHO declares global health emergency

31st we shut down travel from China and declare Fed Health emergency

feb 4th CDC has our test

feb 6th we ship out small amount of test kits to state labs(we knew of person to person transmission by this time)

feb 12th we find out our test is faulty

we get new test but CDC restricts the use of the tests to specific conditions

two things

I wish we had gone full 9/11 and shut down all incoming travel(except for US Citizens) and non essential travel across Mex/Can boarders by first week of feb(this might have helped NY/SF but who knows) - you can imagine the immense howling at that point but the govt should be able to take the heat.

There is no set plan/playbook to "quarantine" the country during a national emergency - that needs to change

• Like 3

*Decarr00

Political climate would not allow it at the time. Italy already saying their fear of being “politically correct” caused them to delay a travel ban from China. Dumbassess even had a promotion “to hug a Chinese person”.  When it’s all said and done, that video of the hug will be remembered for just how fucking stupid we are  

Dumbass doomed them all. The media owns some culpability as well. 

Mayor of Florence suggested residents to hug Chinese people to fight ‘racism’ and it went exactly as you did expect

by BeirãoFebruary 27, 2020
Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

WHO tweeted Jan 14th that it wasn't being transmitted person to person.  we had our first case show up on the Jan 19th.  he had traveled to Wuhan. 20th he tests positive.  still we don't know if it is person to person but on the 21st CDC sends a release out that the indications are that limited person to person transmission is happening.

23rd Wuhan goes under lockdown

30th WHO declares global health emergency

31st we shut down travel from China and declare Fed Health emergency

feb 4th CDC has our test

feb 6th we ship out small amount of test kits to state labs(we knew of person to person transmission by this time)

feb 12th we find out our test is faulty

we get new test but CDC restricts the use of the tests to specific conditions

two things

I wish we had gone full 9/11 and shut down all incoming travel(except for US Citizens) and non essential travel across Mex/Can boarders by first week of feb(this might have helped NY/SF but who knows) - you can imagine the immense howling at that point but the govt should be able to take the heat.

There is no set plan/playbook to "quarantine" the country during a national emergency - that needs to change

March 9, President tweets that the flu is worse than Coronavirus. 

We weren't getting our shit together even with an earlier warning. We were in denial. Some still are. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Political climate would not allow it at the time. Italy already saying their fear of being “politically correct” caused them to delay a travel ban from China. Dumbassess even had a promotion “to hug a Chinese person”.  When it’s all said and done, that video of the hug will be remembered for just how fucking stupid we are  

Dumbass doomed them all. The media owns some culpability as well. 

we got lucky with SARS and Swine.  still some time to hit the inside straight for us. just like 9/11 this will change everything.

• Like 2

As someone who intubates people for a living and does 90% elective surgeries, i can tell u that MDs dont give a damn about this virus. They are going to do procedures and surgeries until the govt tells them to stop

Not sure what area you are in or what types of doctors you work with, but I cancelled all elective surgeries indefinitely and most doctors I talk to have done the same. We absolutely care about this and we did not wait for the government to force us to stop.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

March 9, President tweets that the flu is worse than Coronavirus. 

We weren't getting our shit together even with an earlier warning. We were in denial. Some still are. 

we won't know for a while if it is or isn't based on numbers but yeah he does need to stop tweeting numbers about flu and coronavirus.

30 minutes ago, WBT said:

Texas Tribune has also been reporting Texas county data, updated daily.  Same caveats to reporting standards apply though.

what caveats apply to their reporting standards?  They and the DMN are the closest things we have to statewide reporting in a very, very large state.  

and yeah, the "Hug a Chinese" campaign was probably not the best idea for Italy.  I mean I get that, "Chinese are not to blame, don't assault them" isn't as catchy, but that's really what he meant.  You don't have to violate social distancing by hugging a person, just be a decent human and don't blame random Chinese people for something that is an invisible virus that appears not to have any racial preferences. 

Actually, has Covid-19 released their manifesto yet?  Anybody check the dark web lately to see if this thing has any written works?  /noCR 

Edited by Lobo

36 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

New York, Washington and California going out of control. If we can keep the major out breaks there the rest of the country could emerge that much sooner. We need a domestic ban for travel from anyone in these areas. Keep it contained to the overpopulated areas. 

127/263 deaths in these 4 states (include NJ)

Only a matter of time until it’s the same in all urban areas. From, California. 

1 minute ago, Buzzrock said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

99% of those who died in Italy had other health issues (not surprising given the over-80 average age of the dead). Seems to bode relatively well for healthy individuals who contract it.

I'll wait for more data, and I don't dispute the existence of young, healthy patients, but I think the incidence of complications in the young and healthy is very, very low.

32 minutes ago, Bevo said:

I have plenty, but mainly because I kept purchasing the wrong stuff. At my office, I only have room for regular sized rolls. However, almost all manufacturers have moved towards mega rolls. I kept buying costco sized packages and the rolls were too big for my dispensers. Now, I have a shitload of TP. I didn't hurt availability though because this all happened at the beginning of the year.

Well her doctor’s office sounds like it’s fucked. Seems like the office manager only orders shit when supplies are low and now they are doomed.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-18/99-of-those-who-died-from-virus-had-other-illness-italy-says

99% of those who died in Italy had other health issues (not surprising given the over-80 average age of the dead). Seems to bode relatively well for healthy individuals who contract it.

Fine print:

An estimated 60 percent of all Americans have at least one chronic health condition, and 40 percent have more than one.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/health/coronavirus-midlife-conditions.html

18 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

Stat I somehow missed: the average age of those who have died in Italy is over 80. Average.

Second oldest population in Europe, high percentage of smoking within their populace (especially, the elderly), plus they greet each other by the hugging and kiss upon the cheeks.....All bad co-morbids or social interaction for this virus.

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

No shit. Luckily I don’t need relief, and shouldn’t, but my big creditors so far are only offering to not take my house that’s on time, and to suspend car payments but continue accruing interest that gets slapped onto the back of the loan. 
that might “help” people now but will cost them later. 
why not freeze payments and interest for 60-90 days and then start back up?  Can lenders not afford to go that long without payments?

Bondholders that expect streams of income from payments tend to want them to keep coming...you see that's where they get their value from.

1 hour ago, bigup2dahorns said:

For the math models, Cuomo said they are currently running about 15% hospitalization rate. Said it was higher at 20% recently but now at 15%. Ok, carry on with the maths.

All rates should continue down as more infected are identified.....again why anybody wanting to punt on testing and intelligence gathering is a fucking moron as it's the only way to help make better decisions on ALL matters.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:05 AM, yoladu said:

No photo description available.

Scary.. it continues to hold true...

Italy on 3/6 - 4,636

USA on 3/17 - 4,748

When i posted this graph last Tuesday, it showed how we could pace Italy in # of cases. Looks like we are WAY outpacing Italy at this point. 

If we were still pacing Italy in # of cases, we would have had 9,172 cases at this point (3/20).. but as of right now we are at 22,813 cases.

Not good.

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away