Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

1 hour ago, Message Board User said:

I know for certain of 4 businesses this week that lobbed calls into their business insurance providers and asked about business interruption coverage for this and they were told that they could certainly file a claim, but this kind of thing was specifically excluded. I’m now of the opinion that paying for BII is a waste of fucking time. Plenty of folks filing after Harvey got denied. Fuck the insurance companies and everything they represent. I hope there is a hell and that they’re all headed to it. 

That considered:

1) I guess some actuaries read The Stand a long time ago and this shit made the math. They had it the whole way, so congrats. 

2) How difficult would it be to start an business insurance company? They seem like they just collect money and do very little else. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, CfRhTxStBobcats said:

You really think the death rate will climb?  We know the number of deaths but have no clue the number of cases right now. If theres twice as many cases as reported, which is very likely, but the number of deaths is what has been reported, that death rate is going to plummet.

I just wrote that to appease all of the fucking crazies that are screaming the sky is falling.

I agree and hope that the numbers show that it will drop overall once more tests are done. The death rate is 4.2 % (worldwide) and our great press is focusing on that....The recovery rate is 30% as now per John Hopkins and other reputable sources. Death rate in US is 1.2% as of now. My wife hates my sarcasm and negative view ( I've worked in prehospital health care for 33 yrs) but I am looking at numbers and wondering why I can't go to bar or cardhouse, buy a beer or play cards ( even though one of them is filled with crazy asians), or get some TP without waking up at 6am and waiting in line outside HEB 2 hrs prior to it opening.

Fuck, I was counting down days to retirement in 6 months but with the fucktards messing up the market, not sure that is feasible now.

Took luna to mueller lake thinking id have enough space.. nope a dumb fuck with his dog off leash comes walking up. I told him to fuck off and put his dog on leash.

Luna swatted the shit out of his dog. Sounded like punching a side of beef.

Solid couple of fuck off barks and that was that.

Bitch aint playin.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I just wrote that to appease all of the fucking crazies that are screaming the sky is falling.

I agree and hope that the numbers show that it will drop overall once more tests are done. The death rate is 4.2 % (worldwide) and our great press is focusing on that....The recovery rate is 30% as now per John Hopkins and other reputable sources. Death rate in US is 1.2% as of now. My wife hates my sarcasm and negative view ( I've worked in prehospital health care for 33 yrs) but I am looking at numbers and wondering why I can't go to bar or cardhouse, buy a beer or play cards ( even though one of them is filled with crazy asians), or get some TP without waking up at 6am and waiting in line outside HEB 2 hrs prior to it opening.

Fuck, I was counting down days to retirement in 6 months but with the fucktards messing up the market, not sure that is feasible 

Man, I feel your pain. Luckily I have 8 years for the 401k to bounce back and I think it will fairly quickly so hang in there. This whole thing seems insane to me. Suicide rate is going to go through the roof if people start losing their homes and retirement. I just feel were performing major surgery for a problem that requires a bandaid. I'm sorry for loss of life, but I'm sure many of the people dying probably wouldn't survive a regular bout of flu or pneumonia.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

I must take a trip and patronize this establishment after all this shit is over with. 

Was thinking about spending the summer in Montana this year...  nope.  Gonna just hang out by the pool and fashion TP from palm fronds

• Like 1

2 hours ago, clapclapclap said:

Yep, half the press keeps wasting limited time by baiting him with stupid questions and of course the blowhard just has fire back with babbling bullcrap.

one reaganesque..."there you go again" would be the ticket.  maybe add a "bless your heart".   zero subtlety from either side. 

1 hour ago, UTGrad98 said:

Im really starting to think we have 4 weeks total of mandatory quarantine, all ages. Then we move to a mandatory quarantine of those 65 and older indefinitely while opening back up the economy with social distancing and hygiene. And let it burn through the under 65 population. 

If the trend is reasonable.  I'm hoping April 6th. 

52 minutes ago, dcbc said:

I'm hearing through a friend of a friend who is in healthcare, that of our 8 confirmed cases in Smith County, we had our first death this morning.  If it is who I'm 99% sure it is, I know his son.  The man and his wife both were in in ICU.

how old was he?

Hopefully by the end of the four weeks they figured which anti-viral medicine works best, made billions of doses, and distributed it all over the place. Oh, and also significantly ramped up testing capability. So, say you get a fever, you drive to a drive-through, get a test, and they hand you a baggie with chlorowhatever. A day later (not 3 to 5!) they call you and they say “yep, it’s positive, start taking the medicine as per the instructions; in five days you’ll either be alive (and recovering) or dead”. Clack.
This is way to reasonable.

I think the fact that celebrities are able to get tests, and a fair amount are testing positive with minimal symptoms, shows that the shit is everywhere.  dallas county reported 20 new cases thursday and only 19 friday, a county of several million people.  but a bunch of celebrities and athletes apparently have it?  if everyone was tested we'd see that we are overrun with it, millions and millions of people have it across the country.  it's everywhere.  and as such, the death rate is comparable to the flu, if not lower.  boom, roasted.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Wally Fairway said:

( like Putin ... why no Russia?)

Reuters reported Russia had a spike in pneumonia and then . . . poof . . . the Russians deleted those statistics and employed then State run media to report pneumonia was down.

Russia gonna Russia. 

Edited by washparkhorn
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, futureman said:

I think the fact that celebrities are able to get tests, and a fair amount are testing positive with minimal symptoms, shows that the shit is everywhere.  dallas county reported 20 new cases thursday and only 19 friday, a county of several million people.  but a bunch of celebrities and athletes apparently have it?  if everyone was tested we'd see that we are overrun with it, millions and millions of people have it across the country.  it's everywhere.  and as such, the death rate is comparable to the flu, if not lower.  boom, roasted.

Or they’re using celebrities to say they have it so people will listen to someone of their stature.  “I mean if he can get it, so can we.”

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, futureman said:

Anecdotal but they are also a magnitude more likely to encounter a foreign traveler than the average American.  

Here in Brooklyn it’s like 50 degrees and people are out and about. Kids playing basketball, little fucktrophies are zipping around on plastic scooters. When the weather gets consistently warmer NYers will need mandatory lockdown otherwise they are just going to do whatever they want. Hell the farmers market next to McCarren park was packed this morning. Can’t be quarantined without their artisanal honey.

1 minute ago, futureman said:

IMO, it will come in higher than the flu but not by much and you won't ever really know the true number.  The entire problem is really how fast it spreads and quarantining the olds(mainly) such that you don't overwhelm the system with a spike.  getting people with light symptons to not freak out and run to the hospital is key.  

2 hours ago, MrBig said:

Well her doctor’s office sounds like it’s fucked. Seems like the office manager only orders shit when supplies are low and now they are doomed.

So would mine if I let her. I started following this disease in late December, and bought extra  masks and gloves in January. I noticed that the supplies were going down in late January and reiterated that they were for storage in case of a shortage. Her response was something like, "Oh, our supplier has them. I can just reorder them when we run low". I tried not showing my irritation, but it is pretty easy to see on me, unfortunately. Luckily, this was still way before the panic buying started.

The funny thing to me is that months later, the office manager started panicking due to all the news about the virus. I told her that I had been talking about it for 3 months. And her response was, "I know, that is why I am asking you". "My boyfriend and I just went to Sams Club and Walmart and bought XXX". So I ended up having an office meeting to explain the same things I had been talking about when no one listened.

Russia, China, Iran, so many of them are full of shit.  That's nothing new, blaming them on a national platform does nothing.  The conspiracy bullshit about these countries starting/spreading/hiding evidence about this can be for another thread that I look forward to reading when I'm stinking drunk.  

However, one bit of good news about our higher education system educating hordes and hordes of foreign students from undergrad to post-grad fellowships in the sciences for all these decades is that many of American scientists, doctors, and researchers became friends with them during their time here.  Working closely on projects, their zest for science often transcends politics and nationality.  There are robust back-channels between leaders in medicine and sciences all over the world and many of them connect through U.S. citizens because of how many came through here at some point.  Those relationships are getting us the good data sets we will need from these parts of the world to plot accordingly.  

I should know, I think I got all C's and B's in my science classes in college.  

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away