Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

All the testing talk makes my head tired at some points and so the place I like to go to keep a somewhat more overall view on the health of the country is

https://healthweather.us/

It's got its flaws as well.  Penetration everywhere being a big one as well as some reliance on people describing symptoms in an app being another...though you could argue that beyond the actual temperature that description of symptoms to a doctor can be pretty subjective (one dude may say "oh doc I'm so achy it hurts so much" and another with actually the same thing happening might now even mention it).  The other with regard to COVID or any asymptomatic illness is if you feel fine you don't take your temperature and put shit in an app.

Anyhow definitely shows things are afoot and more interesting in some senses where.....but at this point no freight trains nationwide (definitely pockets)

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

the most important yardstick by far is the hospitalization rate. 

Absolutely. Finite number of hospital beds and ventilators at any given point in time. Available hosptial providers (and many become ill) able to treat COVID-19 is the second most important metric. They are the front line warriors in this battle. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BillyGoatHill said:

I just wrote that to appease all of the fucking crazies that are screaming the sky is falling.

I agree and hope that the numbers show that it will drop overall once more tests are done. The death rate is 4.2 % (worldwide) and our great press is focusing on that....The recovery rate is 30% as now per John Hopkins and other reputable sources. Death rate in US is 1.2% as of now. My wife hates my sarcasm and negative view ( I've worked in prehospital health care for 33 yrs) but I am looking at numbers and wondering why I can't go to bar or cardhouse, buy a beer or play cards ( even though one of them is filled with crazy asians), or get some TP without waking up at 6am and waiting in line outside HEB 2 hrs prior to it opening.

Fuck, I was counting down days to retirement in 6 months but with the fucktards messing up the market, not sure that is feasible now.

Oh, I see. This is all about you apparently. 

• Like 1

Seeing all of these restaurants doing the community kitchen thing makes me wonder why we (the government) cant pay them for school breakfasts/lunches for the kids who were on free/reduced and delivered meals for seniors (and I mean anyone over 60) to keep fewer people off the roads, out of the grocery stores, etc. 

Right now, it's because the owners are rooting the bill and/or getting donations from their communities but that wont last forever. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Poe It Up said:

If anybody here shops at Sam’s, I highly suggest downloading their app for a speedy checkout. The lines were insanely long, so we just scanned our items with our phone and paid with the card on file. The hardest part was not strutting by all the suckers still waiting in line.

Don't you still have to wait in the Covid19 filled line while the slowest person on Earth counts your items before you leave?

ICU beds in the US:

According to the American Hospital Association annual survey in 2015, the U.S. had 4,862 acute care registered hospitals and 94,837 ICU beds with a 68% ICU occupancy rate.My [author's] own experience is that ICU occupancy rate is more than 80% but let's assume 70% occupancy [without COVID-19].

If we assume the total number of ICU beds in the U.S. is 100,000, this corresponds to an available bed rate of 30,000

https://www.medpagetoday.com/hospitalbasedmedicine/generalhospitalpractice/84845

Why we need to flatten the curve ASAP.

Edited by washparkhorn

6 minutes ago, Loco said:

so this seems not so good...

I interpret this negatively. Obviously, deaths are increasing. The numbers are really bad. So the government feels obligated to tighten the noose. Who knows where it goes from here. From what I've seen, people are complying. There isn't a lot of spring break partying or anything like it, not that I've seen anyway. People are pretty spooked, that's a thing you guys haven't seen yet.

We'll see what it looks like in a couple of weeks. Damn I wish I spoke Italian. i'm not an expert on Italian culture but I expect it all to end badly.

11 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

ICU beds in the US:

https://www.medpagetoday.com/hospitalbasedmedicine/generalhospitalpractice/84845

Why we need to flatten the curve ASAP.

Are ICU beds impossible to build?

Mobilize the fucking army and 5 largest contractors in the country to build capacity.  

managing this thing solely by sending everyone home is ridiculous.

Edited by Incredulity
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Yeah but other bills go way down for most people, either by choice or edict - like gas, entertainment, and child care.  If you are lucky enough to be able to work from home and not get a pay cut, you can circle the wagons for a while.   This is why sending 1200 checks indiscriminately makes no sense to me.  

Child care is not going down. I don’t think people realize how many people are considered essential to keep the basics flowing to those at home. There are a lot of people still going to work, and now they have to pay more with schools shut down. Quite a few of the operators at my company wouldn’t even have the full cost of daycare that is a new cost for them covered by the $1200 a month. 

We in the US are still early in this crisis compared to others.  Check out the total number of deaths, recovered, and in-progress for various countries as of right now:

China:  3255 deaths, 71,740 recovered, 6013 active

Italy:  4825 deaths, 6072 recovered, 42,681 active

USA: 301 deaths, 171 recovered, 23,468 active

or, in percentages:

China:  4% deaths, 89% recovered, 7% active. (most results are known, active cases decreasing)

Italy:  9% deaths, 11% recovered, 80% active (still early but at least recoveries outnumber deaths)

USA: 1% deaths, 1% recovered, 98% active (deaths outnumber recoveries, still really early)

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

Saw plenty of walkers on our drive around town this afternoon, which is encouraged.

Plenty of cars out and about. Probably many like me who need to get out of the house for a little bit.

At least fuel is dirt cheap

Cheapest drive home from college my son will ever have.

6 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Are ICU beds impossible to build?

Mobilize the fucking army and 5 largest contractors in the country to build capacity.  

managing this thing solely by sending everyone home is ridiculous.

ICU typically means there's a ventilator on standby. Ventilators are in short supply. Along with masks and gloves. 

2 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

We in the US are still early in this crisis compared to others.  Check out the total number of deaths, recovered, and in-progress for various countries as of right now:

or, in percentages:

China:  4% deaths, 89% recovered, 7% active. (most results are known, active cases decreasing)

Italy:  9% deaths, 11% recovered, 80% active (still early but at least recoveries outnumber deaths)

USA: 1% deaths, 1% recovered, 98% active (deaths outnumber recoveries, still really early)

Whats the average age of a death in Italy?

Distant acquaintance just posted an Instagram story of her husband's COVID19 experience.  He is about 35 years old, give or take.  From pictures I would say he's maybe 15 pounds overweight, if even that.  Apparently he has been with symptoms for going on 18 days, and has not yet fully recovered.  He visited several docs and went to the ER twice, due to difficulty breathing.  Testing was denied for obscure reasons and it wasn't until the pneumonia diagnosis that they were finally granted a COVID test, despite testing negative for the gamut of strep, flu, etc.  He tested positive for covid and his wife was notified only a day or two ago.  In normal times, he would definitely be admitted under hospital care, as it's pretty severe. 

They live in Round Rock.

He will likely make it into the recovered statistic, eventually.  It's simply tenuous at best to look at statistics as a snapshot in time, considering this virus can easily take a full month or more through exposure, incubation, and symptomatic duration.  It clearly hits hard, and it hits some for a LONG time.  

Substance abuse, from alcohol to smoking of any kind, is 100% ruled out in his case.  That I can say with certainty. 

Edited by squeegeedegg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Texas Jeff said:

or, in percentages:

you should probably stop using China, Russia or Iran's numbers.  the Norks numbers might be more accurate than theirs.

• Like 3

Just now, mdmost said:

ICU typically means there's a ventilator on standby. Ventilators are in short supply. Along with masks and gloves. 

Are they impossible to make?

we are spending trillions on locking down states.  I don’t believe the fucking United States of America for, oh say.. 500 billion can’t be swimming in masks, ventilators and what the fuck ever else shortly.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

we are spending trillions on locking down states.  I don’t believe the fucking United States of America for, oh say.. 500 billion can’t be swimming in masks, ventilators and what the fuck ever else shortly.

Well we're about to find out

Just now, Incredulity said:

They're not impossible to make but I doubt you can just crank them out next week and fill in the gaps. All these things take time to overcome. We get a lot of our medical supplies from China, the place that's been locked down for a few months further dwindling the supply chain. We are an incredibly unprepared country from stem to stern. Maybe this wakes us up. We have no issue having an emergency supply of oil for given moments. We have no issues having billions tied into military equipment that will never see combat. I could go on but then people would act like I'm cloaking things up. 

There are stories I've seen of doctors rigging up one ventilator to work for 2-4 patients at a time. It's going to take things like that to fill in the gaps. 

I've been using Samsung Pay for this reason. Still have to touch the pad to finish it, but I try to stay super conscious about not touching my face until I can wash my hands and sanitize.

Yeah, it’s not ideal to have to touch screens but it’s then a 20 second walk to the car and scrubbing with hand sanitizer. Not a big problem in the overall picture.

32 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Seeing all of these restaurants doing the community kitchen thing makes me wonder why we (the government) cant pay them for school breakfasts/lunches for the kids who were on free/reduced and delivered meals for seniors (and I mean anyone over 60) to keep fewer people off the roads, out of the grocery stores, etc. 

Right now, it's because the owners are rooting the bill and/or getting donations from their communities but that wont last forever. 

Even though they are 'closed,' some schools are going to continue doing lunches in this vein of thought... if the kids can just get to the campus to grab the lunch.

Edited by Iceman

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

They're not impossible to make but I doubt you can just crank them out next week and fill in the gaps. All these things take time to overcome. We get a lot of our medical supplies from China, the place that's been locked down for a few months further dwindling the supply chain. We are an incredibly unprepared country from stem to stern. Maybe this wakes us up. We have no issue having an emergency supply of oil for given moments. We have no issues having billions tied into military equipment that will never see combat. I could go on but then people would act like I'm cloaking things up. 

There are stories I've seen of doctors rigging up one ventilator to work for 2-4 patients at a time. It's going to take things like that to fill in the gaps. 

Our public health should definitely be viewed as a national security priority, but it's not. Hell even our food supply is better protected than the population.

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I really doubt that's happening.

4 minutes ago, naija said:

I really doubt that's happening.

Unless it's bullshit, here's two examples of doctors who figured out how to do it. Are they using them in this fashion yet, I don't know. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8136299/Doctors-turns-one-ventilator-nine-genius-DIY-mechanics.html

Edited by mdmost

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

You say this but people are fucking stupid here. People were buying enough TP to last them a year two weeks ago. Now you can't find any.

One thing I realized in all of this....Places like Super Target sell so much of their TP in fucking 12,18,24 packs. It's ridiculous. 

Unless you live with 8 kids and all of you have diarrhea every single day, why on earth does anyone ever need to buy 24 rolls of TP at a time. 

I interpret this negatively. Obviously, deaths are increasing. The numbers are really bad. So the government feels obligated to tighten the noose. Who knows where it goes from here. From what I've seen, people are complying. There isn't a lot of spring break partying or anything like it, not that I've seen anyway. People are pretty spooked, that's a thing you guys haven't seen yet.
We'll see what it looks like in a couple of weeks. Damn I wish I spoke Italian. i'm not an expert on Italian culture but I expect it all to end badly.

I have no doubt the Italian government is in negotiations to switch to the Coronavirus side of this thing.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

One thing I realized in all of this....Places like Super Target sell so much of their TP in fucking 12,18,24 packs. It's ridiculous. 
Unless you live with 8 kids and all of you have diarrhea every single day, why on earth does anyone ever need to buy 24 rolls of TP at a time. 

So we’re not at the store every 2.5 weeks needing to purchase more...especially nice having back up for if you’re in a pickle
  • Like 1

Just now, MNLonghornFUKM said:

So we’re not at the store every 2.5 weeks needing to purchase more...especially nice having back up for if you’re in a pickle

How many fucking kids do y'all have if you're blowing through more than a roll a day? Jesus. 

49 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

23K people? Fuck! We should shut the economy down! Oh wait, we’ve done that for 70 already.  

24 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Child care is not going down. I don’t think people realize how many people are considered essential to keep the basics flowing to those at home. There are a lot of people still going to work, and now they have to pay more with schools shut down. Quite a few of the operators at my company wouldn’t even have the full cost of daycare that is a new cost for them covered by the $1200 a month. 

Child care for most people is not a la carte or daily rate where it just turns off when they’re closed. Most of us are on the hook regardless. Which blows, but I guess that means the workers still get paid. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 3

3 minutes ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

good point. I could see something like a random chinese coronavirus outbreak, etc that could put you in a bind.

Edited by dcar00

Drugs, monitors and, oh, and doctors and nurses to tend to those in the beds.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Unless it's bullshit, here's two examples of doctors who figured out how to do it. Are they using them in this fashion yet, I don't know. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8136299/Doctors-turns-one-ventilator-nine-genius-DIY-mechanics.html

the theory has been out there for years. one thing to start out that way, another thing to actually maintain that sort of thing. good for him for trying, but this would be running different physiologies on the same setting. new entirely new generation of ventilators to reproduce this massively.

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away