Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

2 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Russia: 306 cases

I’d expect there to be numbers suppression to maintain appearances, but their numbers were in the 40’s about 10 days ago.  They’re still on the gradual upslope of the exponential curve, but they’re on the curve nonetheless. In a little more than 2 weeks, they’ll be sitting on at least 10,000 cases.

31 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

It has been a serious point of contention in my marriage, the copious amounts of TP my wife uses just to pee.  She always says “ choose your battles” but when you blow through a roll/day practically, and I have to plunge the fucking toilet in the middle of the night, it makes me ragey, and she doesn’t recognize how much it bugs me.  I blame my heavy drinking on this one issue.

too funny.  same thing wife daughter me and son.  been in the house 12 years.  son and me have never clogged the toilets but it still happens about 2 times a month.  I plunged it for a while, while telling them "flush materials then paperwork".  5 years ago I said I'm done.  whoever clogs it plunges it. It has slowed the rate of clogs for sure.

Bears repeating: we need a nationwide shelter in place order with all planes grounded for the month of April while the military is mobilized to build temp hospitals and manufacturers across the country ramp up production/stock of supplies (tests, ventilators, masks, etc.).  Once we have that month to fully prepare, let everybody under age 60 go back to work/school May 1, inject massive stimulus into the economy, test as many people as possible, and plan to ride it out until herd immunity kicks in.  It is an expensive plan but the only one with an almost assured positive/acceptable outcome.  

Edited by Snake Diggity

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

too funny.  same thing wife daughter me and son.  been in the house 12 years.  son and me have never clogged the toilets but it still happens about 2 times a month.  I plunged it for a while, while telling them "flush materials then paperwork".  5 years ago I said I'm done.  whoever clogs it plunges it. It has slowed the rate of clogs for sure.

My old man had this rule.  I always got away with the risky second flush.  But that one time the fucker overflowed bad, and it was in my parents room.  My dad was not shy about beating my ass, so I quietly unlocked the bathroom door and cracked it...then climbed out the bathroom window.  As I scaled the backyard fence to head over to a friend's and escape my punishment, I saw my old man look right at me. I froze, then climbed down the way I came...I knew I had lost so I just sat in my room and waited. 

Anyways, to this day, I've never tried the second flush.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, squeegeedegg said:

Distant acquaintance just posted an Instagram story of her husband's COVID19 experience.  He is about 35 years old, give or take.  From pictures I would say he's maybe 15 pounds overweight, if even that.  Apparently he has been with symptoms for going on 18 days, and has not yet fully recovered.  He visited several docs and went to the ER twice, due to difficulty breathing.  Testing was denied for obscure reasons and it wasn't until the pneumonia diagnosis that they were finally granted a COVID test, despite testing negative for the gamut of strep, flu, etc.  He tested positive for covid and his wife was notified only a day or two ago.  In normal times, he would definitely be admitted under hospital care, as it's pretty severe. 

They live in Round Rock.

He will likely make it into the recovered statistic, eventually.  It's simply tenuous at best to look at statistics as a snapshot in time, considering this virus can easily take a full month or more through exposure, incubation, and symptomatic duration.  It clearly hits hard, and it hits some for a LONG time.  

Substance abuse, from alcohol to smoking of any kind, is 100% ruled out in his case.  That I can say with certainty. 

Interesting share.  Would note though that there are just as many stories of people testing positive who didn't even have a clue they were not well.  I think these kinds of stories (on both sides) are interesting....but not necessarily instructive.

36 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I countered your terms with my own. I will not accept money from you nor will I send money to you. But, if we are both in the position to be able to do so, I think those hurt most by the shutdown and the virus would appreciate our aid. 

Again, of course you won’t.

I will gladly take the bet, Johns Hopkins website shows greater than 50,000 deaths in the US from COVID 19 on April 30 and I will post a donation receipt from The Red Cross.  Less than 50k you post Receipt of donation to Red Cross.

I’m not going to argue about the veracity of “daves foodbank” or some shit.

2 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

I will gladly take the bet, Johns Hopkins website shows greater than 50,000 deaths in the US from COVID 19 on April 30 and I will post a donation receipt from The Red Cross.  Less than 50k you post Receipt of donation to Red Cross.

You'll be right but I'm only worried they won't track properly and you'll lose because of that.  Of course we both hope to be wrong but that first wave of deaths is baked in.  We need to get on top of our game so we don't guarantee this getting even worse. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

My old man had this rule.  I always got away with the risky second flush.  But that one time the fucker overflowed bad, and it was in my parents room.  My dad was not shy about beating my ass, so I quietly unlocked the bathroom door and cracked it...then climbed out the bathroom window.  As I scaled the backyard fence to head over to a friend's and escape my punishment, I saw my old man look right at me. I froze, then climbed down the way I came...I knew I had lost so I just sat in my room and waited. 

The Second Flush would make a great band name.

• Like 1

Cross posted: this is real time evidence that measures to flatten the curve are working in the US in Kentucky, thanks to the decisive measures implemented by their Governor.  Contrast that with management by the Gov. of TN (no CR).

Every day matters and the sooner you shut it all the way down, the less time you spend putting out the fires and picking up the pieces.

EToyuCJWAAMlxcD?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2

A guy I grew up watching entertain for apres ski in Vail just died of Coronavirus.  Rod Powell.  Have watched him as a kid until middle age.  Can't count how many drinks I had with friends and family while he entertained.

Edited by Johnny Sack

1 hour ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Could get scary as covid hits the heart disease /diabetes belt across the South. I hope people there are taking this seriously.

The big issue is rural hospitals these days mostly just stabilize and send them on to the big boys. The big boys aren't going to have any space 3 weeks from now and rural hospitals are extremely limited on ventilators.

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

How are you guys dealing with teenagers (18) or college age (20) kids having them stay home.  It’s getting brutal around my house explaining over and over that need to stay home.  It is also not helping that their friends seem to be able to go and do shit just as it used to be.  Of course, I have told them they could be carriers and get their parents or grandparents very sick.  I’m in Dallas and just curious how others here might be handling this issue with older kids.

Just now, Big D said:

How are you guys dealing with teenagers (18) or college age (20) kids having them stay home.  It’s getting brutal around my house explaining over and over that need to stay home.  It is also not helping that their friends seem to be able to go and do shit just as it used to be.  Of course, I have told them they could be carriers and get their parents or grandparents very sick.  I’m in Dallas and just curious how others here might be handling this issue with older kids.

My kids are a decade away from that.  I would do all I could to stop them.  Including threats combined with bribes.  

7 minutes ago, Big D said:

Blessed ours understand and are calling out their friends for being reckless. But I'm seeing large groups of teens congregating all over the neighborhood when walking the dogs. 

Edited by ShaggyBevo RIP

2 minutes ago, Big D said:

There's a time when our kids knew we were being legalistic, or just trying to get them to comply with our wishes.

Other times, they knew they were being given direction and it wasn't up for debate.  Be the fucking parent.

If they flip the script and try to leverage their 'adulthood' then ask them why the fuck they still live at home...  go be fucking free, tadpoles... or STFU and live.

In the end, it's still their choice... sort of.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Incredulity said:

Deal. I really hope you win because it'll be a win for us all. 

Now for bad news, US now at 84 new deaths today, 7,686 new cases, with several hours to go. 

• Mar 10 = 4
  • March 13 = 8
  • March 16 = 18
  • March 19 = 57
  • March 21 = 84

Just now, Iceman said:

There's a time when our kids knew we were being legalistic, or just trying to get them to comply with our wishes.

Other times, they knew they were being given direction and it wasn't up for debate.  Be the fucking parent.

If they flip the script and try to leverage their 'adulthood' then ask them why the fuck they still live at home...  go be fucking free, tadpoles... or STFU and live.

In the end, it's still their choice... sort of.

I get that, and they for the most part understand this is serious.  However, this is the first time we have had to deal with something like this and the unknown end sucks for both them and us as parents.  

8 minutes ago, Big D said:

Sit them down and have the read the stories posted on those their age dying. If that doesnt work have them read the front line reports of how the virus kills you and what that is like...the inability to breathe, intubation, basically drowning in your own blood (find youtube videos of ARDS patients)...and that while it is low odds for them to get to that point it is much higher for you and your wife and much higher for their grandparents. If that doesnt work, offer them a grand each per month to stay at home. If they go out for even 1 night, the money is off the table.

3 hours ago, Message Board User said:

Yeah a week ago today my 3yo daughter started hacking dryly and running ~100F.  We chalked it up to a cold, and when it was still present Tuesday made a quick call to the nurse line at our ped...they confirmed normal stuff is still going around, and despite our trip to Wuhan last month it wasn’t worth bringing her in for.  So we waited but sent our maid back to Milan. 

Thursday night she spiked 102.F, stopped talking (which tells you she’s really sick) and alternated sweating and freezing.  I tried to shut the ‘here we go’ voice up right away, but both my Pinay boom booms suggested to my wife it was worth calling again for...so she was seen Friday.  

Poor girl had a pulse ox of 89% and clear pneumonia, negative for strep and flu.  Waiting on RSV but presumed negative.  Now my 6yo son is hacking but no fever.  

Kidding aside I’m just amazed it feels like a stronger than normal ‘regular bug’ season. So let’s pile on the stress worrying about something like Covid, on top of the regular shit we all deal with.  

2020 sucks.  I’m wondering if The Stand movie is on hold?  They better have The Kid (minus the pistol rape shit)...

”I’d piss Coors if I could”

”Ya believe that happy crappy?”

”Don’t tell me I’ll tell you”

Edited by Homercles
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Big D said:

I get that, and they for the most part understand this is serious.  However, this is the first time we have had to deal with something like this and the unknown end sucks for both them and us as parents.  

If they truly understand the gravity of the situation, then there shouldn't be a lot of persuasion or convincing going on.

Not trying to play Daddy Badass here, but there are times when your kids should know, "Now's not the time to push it."  It is absolutely because you love them.  They should know that beyond the shadow of a doubt.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, naija said:

I don't think this will happen in time. We are really asking for a Deus Ex Machina at this point, or putting ourselves at the mercy of the generosity of other countries. There are alot of geniuses in this country and hopefully someone proves me wrong, but these aren't "snap your fingers and it happens" sort of resources. 

It truly is embarrassing that we are at the point where point-of-care providers can't get masks to use. These are the cheapest, easiest things to have doubled down and stocked up on. Now we are going to get ventilators? Or what happens when the human capital starts taking a hit? When both ICU doctors are out, what then?

Better figure out how to fit this, in a whole made for that.....

14 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

With regards to Covid 19, we've seen the full spectrum of illness in our hospital.  We've got a lot of positives or people in isolation being tested.  Many are stable enough to go home, some in good shape, some on home oxygen equipment..  The truly ominous thing we're seeing in our ICU is that once people go onto ventilators, they aren't coming off, unless they die of course.  These people are going to tie up ventilators for many weeks or worse.  Our regional leadership has asked us to essentially triple our ICU capacity.  Transitional care unit and post surgical recovery areas are being prepared to deliver ICU level care.  ICU doctors are already spread very thin.  So the plan is hospital based internal medicine docs such as myself will take over many ICU patients.  Clinic internists and medical specialty consultants (probably mostly cardiology, GI, etc) will help out the hospitalists.  I assume there will be similar plans on the nursing side with regular floor nurses asked to take care of much sicker patients than they are accustomed to seeing.  There are probably a lot of surgeons, etc who are twiddling their thumbs with all elective surgeries cancelled and almost all clinic visits converted to phone/skype appointments.

2 more days until I get a day off though and will spend it block sanding and barring rain, putting some primer on the Chevelle.   Looking forward to it.

Some of the things I hear about alcoholic beverage makers switching to produce alcohol for hand sanitizer and other companies gearing up to make masks, ventilators and other medical equipment is encouraging.  'Merica!

I watched a YouTube video yesterday of someone touring an Italian hospital. They where very excited when they took a patient off the vent who looked like he would survive. It was the first time anyone with the virus came off the vent alive at this hospital. Sorry no link.

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, Big D said:

Mine is paying for his girlfriend to come visit from Virginia. Her dad is a Naval Captain so if he can't stop her, I don't think I have much chance. And if I haven't already been infected, I think my odds are going up.

4 hours ago, Bevo said:

I looked into BII in February and they told me specifically that it wouldn't cover this (after spending hours on the phone). I'm with you in that I don't know what it does cover. In fact, I had a hard time getting an answer to that question. Their sales pitch did not match their policies and it was a pain in the ass getting the policy to read the fine print.

For example, I asked for details on overhead expense insurance and they emailed me a brochure that basically stated that the insurance may cover: Rent or mortgage payments (principal, interest and taxes), Salaries and payroll taxes, Student loan payments, Uniforms for employees, Electricity, heat, water and phone bills, Laundry and janitorial expenses, Property and liability insurance premiums, Life and medical insurance premiums for employees, Depreciation,  Principal and interest on business debt associated with your practice — including loan payments for practice purchase, expansion, renovation or furnishing and Professional association dues. Great, it pays for things that I am interested in. But when can I make a claim? I couldn't get a clear answer so I gave up.

Seriously, fuck insurance companies.

I thought we knew how insurance companies work.  They tell you that they cover X, so you pay them money and then when X happens and you file a claim, they deny the claim .

How else do you expect them to make a profit?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

courtesy flush.  fucking low flow earth saving toilets

3 hours ago, utee94 said:

Lot of folks are being forced right now to purchase technology to enable work from home

If you can't purchase technology to enable work from home without leaving your house, then you probably should kiss your ass goodbye.

22 minutes ago, ShaggyBevo RIP said:

Blessed ours understand and are calling out their friends for being reckless. But I'm seeing large groups of teens congregating all over the neighborhood when walking the dogs. 

at least in college they can all infect each other "asymptomatically" and kill it with vodka and white claws

It's been a challenge with my oldest. Our compromise is that we allow they to go.do.an outdoors activity like hike wild basin or enchanted rock. If they eat they have to bring their own food and they can't be in a car with another person other than family.

Same sex groups only to minimize the risk of them getting too close.

If those rules arent followed then they cant join.

They have had a lot of picnics at zilker, played sand volleyball, or have gone on hikes.

I'm sure we will get criticized here, but I feel it's a fair compromise.
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

With regards to Covid 19, we've seen the full spectrum of illness in our hospital.  We've got a lot of positives or people in isolation being tested.  Many are stable enough to go home, some in good shape, some on home oxygen equipment..  The truly ominous thing we're seeing in our ICU is that once people go onto ventilators, they aren't coming off, unless they die of course.  These people are going to tie up ventilators for many weeks or worse.  Our regional leadership has asked us to essentially triple our ICU capacity.  Transitional care unit and post surgical recovery areas are being prepared to deliver ICU level care.  ICU doctors are already spread very thin.  So the plan is hospital based internal medicine docs such as myself will take over many ICU patients.  Clinic internists and medical specialty consultants (probably mostly cardiology, GI, etc) will help out the hospitalists.  I assume there will be similar plans on the nursing side with regular floor nurses asked to take care of much sicker patients than they are accustomed to seeing.  There are probably a lot of surgeons, etc who are twiddling their thumbs with all elective surgeries cancelled and almost all clinic visits converted to phone/skype appointments.

2 more days until I get a day off though and will spend it block sanding and barring rain, putting some primer on the Chevelle.   Looking forward to it.

Some of the things I hear about alcoholic beverage makers switching to produce alcohol for hand sanitizer and other companies gearing up to make masks, ventilators and other medical equipment is encouraging.  'Merica!

good luck doc.  get some rest though.  the chevelle can wait.

26 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Much like we thank soldiers during war time, thank you for your service. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Are y'all using hydroxychloroquine and the Gilead anti-retroviral? 

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away