Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Our severity rate (severe = shortness of breath, low blood oxygen, etc) is much lower than Iran and Italy and Spain, which is consistent with the lower death rate.  

1-Oy-H62ye-FHj225b-NAJcl-Wa-Q.png

1-Oy-H62ye-FHj225b-NAJcl-Wa-Q.png

At this hour, 24 hours on from the above data, arcgis/johnshopkins shows italy at 53578 cases & 4825 deaths.

30 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

With regards to Covid 19, we've seen the full spectrum of illness in our hospital.  We've got a lot of positives or people in isolation being tested.  Many are stable enough to go home, some in good shape, some on home oxygen equipment..  The truly ominous thing we're seeing in our ICU is that once people go onto ventilators, they aren't coming off, unless they die of course.  These people are going to tie up ventilators for many weeks or worse.  Our regional leadership has asked us to essentially triple our ICU capacity.  Transitional care unit and post surgical recovery areas are being prepared to deliver ICU level care.  ICU doctors are already spread very thin.  So the plan is hospital based internal medicine docs such as myself will take over many ICU patients.  Clinic internists and medical specialty consultants (probably mostly cardiology, GI, etc) will help out the hospitalists.  I assume there will be similar plans on the nursing side with regular floor nurses asked to take care of much sicker patients than they are accustomed to seeing.  There are probably a lot of surgeons, etc who are twiddling their thumbs with all elective surgeries cancelled and almost all clinic visits converted to phone/skype appointments.

2 more days until I get a day off though and will spend it block sanding and barring rain, putting some primer on the Chevelle.   Looking forward to it.

Some of the things I hear about alcoholic beverage makers switching to produce alcohol for hand sanitizer and other companies gearing up to make masks, ventilators and other medical equipment is encouraging.  'Merica!

The surgeons should jump in and help with the nursing duties where they can. 

did I make you laugh?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Incredulity said:

Again, of course you won’t.

I will gladly take the bet, Johns Hopkins website shows greater than 50,000 deaths in the US from COVID 19 on April 30 and I will post a donation receipt from The Red Cross.  Less than 50k you post Receipt of donation to Red Cross.

I’m not going to argue about the veracity of “daves foodbank” or some shit.

The Red Cross sucks almost as much as aggy.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Big D said:

How are you guys dealing with teenagers (18) or college age (20) kids having them stay home.  It’s getting brutal around my house explaining over and over that need to stay home.  It is also not helping that their friends seem to be able to go and do shit just as it used to be.  Of course, I have told them they could be carriers and get their parents or grandparents very sick.  I’m in Dallas and just curious how others here might be handling this issue with older kids.

Are they daughters? If so have you thought about a black snake moan type situation?

1 hour ago, triplehorn said:

I’d expect there to be numbers suppression to maintain appearances, but their numbers were in the 40’s about 10 days ago.  They’re still on the gradual upslope of the exponential curve, but they’re on the curve nonetheless. In a little more than 2 weeks, they’ll be sitting on at least 10,000 cases.

10000 cases and 10 deaths...winning in Russia!

Just now, dcar00 said:

10000 cases and 10 deaths...winning in Russia!

Again I'm assuming that a majority of these patients die from acute lead poisoning and not covid. 

Not sure if this needs to go to the cr, but I have to assume that this is going to tear through DPRK like it's doing in Iran. I wonder if it leads to any regime change in those countries.

1 minute ago, Grade of D as in David said:

Again I'm assuming that a majority of these patients die from acute lead poisoning and not covid. 

Not sure if this needs to go to the cr, but I have to assume that this is going to tear through DPRK like it's doing in Iran. I wonder if it leads to any regime change in those countries.

not a chance with the Norks.  those people barely have enough food to eat.  Iran chance but very small, if it gets real bad with deaths and military says fuck it I'm out. I'm sure that is all the mullah's are thinking about. they give 2 shits about people dying.

Just now, naija said:

why is the supply chain for medical use the same as the one for the public. 

It isn't, but middlemen can buy from the medical supply chain and resell to the public. Plus, the public can purchase masks through public channels which can affect the medical supply chain. Another way to put it is that masks are generally made in China. Chinese companies don't care whether they are selling to medical companies or individuals as long as they get paid.

by the way on the DPRK, Iran, Russia, China, the numbers is all a game so that after this is over they can convince the populace how much better they are than the west.
What'll be fun is when we start the recovery and they ask for help. "Why? You haven't had any new cases in a month?"
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bama Chick said:

Website to see what the numbers are projected to look like in every state in different scenarios-

these things are not helpful at all. data is needed, not something rife with speculation. the disclaimers are a joke.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

A guy I grew up watching entertain for apres ski in Vail just died of Coronavirus.  Rod Powell.  Have watched him as a kid until middle age.  Can't count how many drinks I had with friends and family while he entertained.

He had COPD and diabetes. 

2 minutes ago, naija said:

these things are not helpful at all. data is needed, not something rife with speculation. the disclaimers are a joke.

as if  the state leaders haven't been advised as to what could happen...post a national guardsman at every intersection, hurry!!

1 hour ago, Johnny Sack said:

A guy I grew up watching entertain for apres ski in Vail just died of Coronavirus.  Rod Powell.  Have watched him as a kid until middle age.  Can't count how many drinks I had with friends and family while he entertained.

I think Vail and the Italian ski resort in Lombardy were the nexus which reached in to the NBA, Kaylee Hartung, heads of state, etc.  There was a disproportionate number of rich and famous in the first batch of positives.   Skiing did this.

6 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Green is supposedly the right combo of temp and humidity that is most conducive to Covid19 spread.

May to some extent explain Russia.

b6e0c6cc8365c82f652d8bea326c7464.jpg

well I wish we had this data a month ago so we didnt shut down the entire country!   Jk.  good stuff and interesting even if it doesn't jibe with my fuck NK, china, Russia, Iran narrative

5 hours ago, Francisco 2.0 said:

The state of society in spring 2020.  On one hand, I'm glad my daughter saw the mask, recognized that someone may have coronavirus, and this is a means to protect others.  On the other, it troubles me that my 7 year old lives in a world where coronavirus is a thing, and she's informed about this.  There's so much else in her life; she doesn't need the real world right now.

Stay safe everyone.

We have a 7 year-old as well.  We can’t hide it from him, school is closed, his Cub Scout activities are shut down, and when we bike over to see one of his grandparents, he has to stay in the yard while they are on the porch.   Some of the educational companies have put out solid videos - BrainPop has a good one for older elementary that’s better than the younger elementary video.  

I caught a cold earlier this week from the other kid, and it seemed like it was going away a few days ago and then kicked my ass last night with a bit of a fever and cough.   Most likely not covid, never had the respiratory issues and the other symptoms, and our doctor didn’t feel the need to test.  

Anyways, our 7 year-old was keeping a watchful eye on me the whole day, and when he’d get an iPad, he’d FaceTime with grandparents to see how they are doing.    I fucking hate that he’s thinking about this shit.   But he’s resourceful, he’s figured out which people in our contacts list are the parents of classmates of his, and he’s wanting to do virtual play dates with them.   

2 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

We have a 7 year-old as well.  We can’t hide it from him, school is closed, his Cub Scout activities are shut down, and when we bike over to see one of his grandparents, he has to stay in the yard while they are on the porch.   Some of the educational companies have put out solid videos - BrainPop has a good one for older elementary that’s better than the younger elementary video.  

I caught a cold earlier this week from the other kid, and it seemed like it was going away a few days ago and then kicked my ass last night with a bit of a fever and cough.   Most likely not covid, never had the respiratory issues and the other symptoms, and our doctor didn’t feel the need to test.  

Anyways, our 7 year-old was keeping a watchful eye on me the whole day, and when he’d get an iPad, he’d FaceTime with grandparents to see how they are doing.    I fucking hate that he’s thinking about this shit.   But he’s resourceful, he’s figured out which people in our contacts list are the parents of classmates of his, and he’s wanting to do virtual play dates with them.   

kids are pretty resilient.  that said I'm kinda glad mine are 17 and 20 right now.

I decided to check espn.com and totally forgot the NFL Draft is coming April 23rd.  the Wuhan ain't gonna know what hit it if it threatens to delay the NFL from making money.  we all good boys this will be over by early April.

It’s not going to be over, but I’ll bet we are back to some sort of normalcy by then. It may be that the elderly and people with underlying issues are still quarantined until a vaccination is available, but I’d bet people are back at work and bar and restaurants are open. There will have to be exceptions made for people that do test positive at work like their sick days don’t count against them or something, but life must go on eventually. My wife works at an elementary school and they are out until April 13 at this point. I’m thinking she is back to work by then, but I absolutely could be wrong if things go really downhill this next week.

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

I will bet you $1,000 right now the coronavirus US death toll is less than 50,000 on April 30 2020 according to Johns Hopkins

4 hours ago, Dahobbs said:

I will not bet on deaths. I want to be wrong. But, if I'm right, how about we both donate 1,000 to local food banks (same deal I have with wu law). 

4 hours ago, Hanrahan said:

I’ll take some of that action as well.

Clarification: I have the under.

Ya'll should take this to Gambling board....No sports to follow and poker is done for now. There is at least one Surly over there that has brought this up. 

Or.... just use the thread here in DT.... "What would you do if the US Treasury sent you $1000?"

2 hours ago, Lhorn said:

With regards to Covid 19, we've seen the full spectrum of illness in our hospital.  We've got a lot of positives or people in isolation being tested.  Many are stable enough to go home, some in good shape, some on home oxygen equipment..  The truly ominous thing we're seeing in our ICU is that once people go onto ventilators, they aren't coming off, unless they die of course.  These people are going to tie up ventilators for many weeks or worse.  Our regional leadership has asked us to essentially triple our ICU capacity.  Transitional care unit and post surgical recovery areas are being prepared to deliver ICU level care.  ICU doctors are already spread very thin.  So the plan is hospital based internal medicine docs such as myself will take over many ICU patients.  Clinic internists and medical specialty consultants (probably mostly cardiology, GI, etc) will help out the hospitalists.  I assume there will be similar plans on the nursing side with regular floor nurses asked to take care of much sicker patients than they are accustomed to seeing.  There are probably a lot of surgeons, etc who are twiddling their thumbs with all elective surgeries cancelled and almost all clinic visits converted to phone/skype appointments.

2 more days until I get a day off though and will spend it block sanding and barring rain, putting some primer on the Chevelle.   Looking forward to it.

Some of the things I hear about alcoholic beverage makers switching to produce alcohol for hand sanitizer and other companies gearing up to make masks, ventilators and other medical equipment is encouraging.  'Merica!

God grant you and your coworkers strength. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Are they impossible to make?

we are spending trillions on locking down states.  I don’t believe the fucking United States of America for, oh say.. 500 billion can’t be swimming in masks, ventilators and what the fuck ever else shortly.

3 hours ago, Dr. Beeper said:

It amazes me this is the case. Seemingly worldwide. I’d never thought about this, never had a reason to. But it’s hard to fathom for all nations heavily affected. 

Not easy to ramp up.  Very niche market normally

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-ventilators-insigh/army-joins-the-production-line-as-ventilator-makers-scramble-to-meet-demand-idUSKBN2180JU

“On March 6, Gianluca Preziosa, the head of an Italian ventilator maker, received an urgent request. The Italian authorities wanted his help for an all-out effort to meet a desperate need for ventilators.

Now, his Bologna-based company, Siare Engineering International Group s.r.l., has 25 army technicians working with its production supervisors to manage the expanded production and help assemble machines. The army also has made personnel available to the company’s suppliers, Preziosa said. 

“Usually we produce 160 machines a month. The goal is to produce 2,000 in four months, so more than triple our monthly production,” Preziosa told Reuters in an interview. The executive added that companies involved in the supply chain of producing ventilators “cannot respond to the enormous demand because this is a niche industry.” 

Siare belongs to a normally quiet corner of the medical equipment market that has found itself on the front line of the century’s biggest health crisis caused by the rapid spread of the new flu-like virus, which can lead to breathing difficulties and pneumonia in severe cases. 

Ventilator makers are under pressure to sharply increase production even as the pandemic has disrupted the transport and supply of crucial parts, such as hoses, valves, motors and electronics – some of which come from China, the original epicenter of the outbreak that has killed more than 10,000 people across the globe. 

Amid shortages, governments are turning to help from the military, enlisting other manufacturers and even looking to 3D printing in the hopes of ramping up production of the potentially life-saving breathing machines. In Italy, a team of doctors has developed a way to provide oxygen to two people from one ventilator, therefore doubling capacity, according to the Italian region of Emilia Romagna’s commissioner for coronavirus. 

Ventilators, which cost tens of thousands of dollars, are mechanical breathing devices that can blow air and oxygen into the lungs. They are crucial for the care of people with lung failure, which can be one of the complications suffered by patients with severe COVID-19, the disease coronavirus causes. But they don’t necessarily save people. 

“The mortality amongst the intensive care population is being estimated as 50 to 60%,” said Rahuldeb Sarkar, a consultant physician in respiratory medicine and critical care in Britain. If a critically ill patient doesn’t get a ventilator, “he dies within a few hours.” 

One of the world’s largest makers of ventilators, Swiss-based Hamilton Medical AG, expects to increase production to about 21,000 ventilators this year, up from 15,000 last year by deploying marketing staff on the production line, among other measures. But with many more orders than it can fulfill, the company faces difficult decisions on where to send them. 

Hamilton Medical’s chief executive, Andreas Wieland, said the company is prioritizing those countries where the need is most dire, notably Italy. Hamilton Medical sent 400 ventilators to Italy last week and expects to send another shipment soon. But, he said, that also means turning some governments down, which has resulted in one country reacting aggressively by threatening to blacklist his company. 

“We’re trying not to deliver into a country that is merely stocking up reserves, where there is practically no virus, so they can prepare. We’re trying to serve those where the emergency is most extreme.”

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away