Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

17 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

For what it's worth to some of you....numbers from yesterday came down

https://healthweather.us/

Also again if you buy this thing can do some quick calculations.  As  of yesterday this observes a 3.99% incidence rate of ILI (influenza like illness) which if you extrapolate over 330M citizens right now in the US we got 13.2M people with ILI.   

So then if you just want to have fun with putting the test results so far against that ILI figure and assume that everybody with ILI got tested AND that when you did that the current rate of positive tests would remain roughly the same (and yes I realize that is a pretty substantial leap in assumption but go with me) you got 1.7M symptomatic to some degree COVIDs out there.  

Edited by Surly Bevo

43 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

We need a national shelter in place policy starting today.  Every day delayed carries exponentially worse outcomes.  If we had started it a week ago, the next 1-2 months would appear placid by comparison.

No we don’t. Bam domestic travel from Wa, CA, NY and surrounding areas. Quarantine these areas first and let the states make their own determination. Kansas doesn’t need to shut down because NY is having their demons exercised 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Actually may be a bit of a blessing in disguise. I'm still waiting for some subs to do some work shut down by the coronavirus, so this may buy some time or get me to expand my skill set (masonry pointing/mortar matching, and bullnose brick step replacement).

I've got lots of real estate contacts, they say this hasn't hurt them yet, but if mandatory quarantines get rolled out it will stop sales pretty much dead in their tracks.

5 minutes ago, Loco said:

Interest rates are gonnna help..  But I don't envy  the cleanup/sanitation after an open house.  

Our neighbor echoed this when we asked about their youngest the other day--real estate agent. Apparently those folks with job security are spending some of the time cooped up to look online and she has been making some sales. (That was last week, I expect it to fluctuate as the virus increases/decreases in areas). Other than respecting physical space and extra cleaning it has been business as usual.

Just now, Casual Encounter said:

Is this like all those legitimate opioid prescriptions doctors handed out for years? Doesn’t your unnecessary prescription mean someone who may need it, doesn’t get it?

Last week Teva pharma donated 6 million chloroquine doses to the US.  That's not the issue now.  People cutting social contacts by 80% and  staying home is the issue.

After getting antibody test, maybe then we can can talk about how "unecessary" the rx was.

I got this from Best Buy this morning. The delivery part made me chuckle but makes total sense.

To Our Customers, 

Across the country these past several days, you have come to our stores to buy the technology and household necessities that are so valuable at a time like this. We remain determined to continue to serve you and are announcing today a new way of making our stores accessible while even further enhancing customer and employee safety. 

In our stores 

Beginning Sunday, March 22, we will offer contactless curbside service at all locations across the country where state or local laws allow. Rather than ask you to come into our stores, any items you order on BestBuy.com or the Best Buy app will be delivered to your car curbside. If, for any reason, you didn't order the product in advance and the product is in stock in the store, one of our employees will be more than happy to go get it in the store and sell it to you while you remain in your car. This service also extends to returns and exchanges, the period for which has been extended on most products so that you have more time. Only employees will be allowed in the store, but we are determined to serve you as fully as we can. Unfortunately, we are temporarily unable to continue our product trade-in and recycling services. 

For those who want to continue shopping with us online or on the app, we will, of course, still get you what you want. 

In your home 

As you know, Best Buy works in millions of customer homes each year, and we have long been proud of the services we provide. Because of the increased concern for you, your families and our employees, we have made the decision to suspend currently scheduled installations, haul-aways or repairs for large items like refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers and TVs. 

Beginning Monday, March 23, we will no longer deliver these large products into your home and will, instead, offer free doorstep delivery. This means we will take the item as close as we possibly can to the front door of your home without bringing it inside. We know that this change will be inconvenient, and we are truly sorry. It was made with our employees' and your best interests at heart. If you have an order scheduled for installation in the next 30 days, please expect an email or text from Best Buy about your delivery options. 

Employees 

Speaking of our employees, everyone working right now is doing so on a voluntary basis, and all hourly employees who volunteer are receiving a temporary pay increase. Additionally, anyone feeling sick is told to stay home, and they will be paid for that time. Finally, anyone exposed to a confirmed case of COVID-19 is also told to stay home, with pay, and we are paying employees who may need to stay home to care for their children. 

All of us at Best Buy are grateful that so many states and localities believe we are an essential business, allowing us to continue to serve you when you need it most. We thank you for your patience and loyalty and look forward to continuing to provide you with the technology and home essentials you require to stay connected and work and learn from home. Thank you. 

12 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Green is supposedly the right combo of temp and humidity that is most conducive to Covid19 spread.

May to some extent explain Russia.

b6e0c6cc8365c82f652d8bea326c7464.jpg

Is there an actual link to this?  I see in the top right corner it’s a weather model, but is this from a weather page?

4 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

No we don’t. Bam domestic travel from Wa, CA, NY and surrounding areas. Quarantine these areas first and let the states make their own determination. Kansas doesn’t need to shut down because NY is having their demons exercised 

Is that reasoning epidemiologic or faith based ?

4 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Last week Teva pharma donated 6 million chloroquine doses to the US.  That's not the issue now.  People cutting social contacts by 80% and  staying home is the issue.

After getting antibody test, maybe then we can can talk about how "unecessary" the rx was.

“Now”, and don’t act like everyone who gets this needs medication for it. 

• Like 1

Also actually ready it and don't tell me "oh but there are a lot of cases here or there that isn't green etc".  The thing doesn't say that not green=no COVID, it just says that they believe green is the most conducive environment for it to spread in from a climate standpoint and therefore have that as a higher risk factor for outbreaks.

1 hour ago, Loco said:

At least Dade is not fucking around anymore.  

Boat ramps in Broward are about to be a shit show.  Well even more of shit show.

I posted yesterday that it was nice and a lot of boats out on the ICW.  Which should be absolutely fine for Social Distancing.  (not like the raft ups at the Sandbar) I bet there are more than a few folks that were planning on getting some time off shore that are screwed. 

I was talking to my BC and the trucker dropping off the yacht Wednesday and there were a lot of rumors all the boatyards in Fl were shutting down. LMC says they can't completely close because they have liveaboards.

10 hours ago, Lhorn said:
10 hours ago, Hate said:
Is any of it working?

My experience is only anecdotal. I’ve seen people get better on treatment and people get worse. I’d say the sample size of our hospital is too small to make any judgements , but nothing close to what I’d call impressive. That’s a bit how it goes treating severe lung infections. Improvement is often slow. Even with appropriate antibiotic treatment of typical bacterial pneumonias once you get a lot of inflammation setting in, improvement is like turning a battleship. It’s slow.

Can people use expectorants at the sign of early lung symptoms to lessen the severity of lung implications?

Edited by Nonbryan

36 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Actually may be a bit of a blessing in disguise. I'm still waiting for some subs to do some work shut down by the coronavirus, so this may buy some time or get me to expand my skill set (masonry pointing/mortar matching, and bullnose brick step replacement).

I've got lots of real estate contacts, they say this hasn't hurt them yet, but if mandatory quarantines get rolled out it will stop sales pretty much dead in their tracks.

My neighbors just sold their house yesterday for $11K more than asking, and they were asking a lot. 

Just now, closetojumping said:

Beyond that, you committed fraud. You admitted to it on this board. You lied to a pharmacist to get a prescription filled by claiming that you needed a drug so you could go on a scuba trip to Honduras and be protected from contracting malaria.

The script said chemo prophylaxis.  It said nothing about malaria.  It was for off-label use.  That is not fraud.  The pharmacist gave me my script without even asking or discussing it, which was unusual.  I was perfectly willing to explain it.  The person who asked me where I was going, by their own presumption, was probably a tech.  I didn't feel like having an in depth conversation about theoretical off-label application after I was already done and trying to leave when the place was clearly swamped.  It was weird, I'll give you that.

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

As to the rest, go find whatever you like. I mocked the hysteria. Still do. I also prepped, put my company on WFH 12 days ago and haven’t been around other people since that time while sequestered with my now very irritated wife and kids. If I said it wasn’t a big deal, pull it up. Making fun of y’all’s bullshit and not expecting millions of Americans to die by the end of April doesn’t make me flippant. . 

You’re lying. No one said millions would die when you were being an ass; only you and AKH were spouting that bullshit. Only in the last 48 hours have bets been popping up. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

That needed to be enacted 2 weeks ago. That horse has left the barn.  We now need to switch to actions that most likely we will he saying in 2 weeks from now that we would have done 2 weeks ago.

im not opposed to slowing down national travel but I imagine that has taken care of itself. It also won’t stop all travel because the govt doesn’t have that absolute right.

29 minutes ago, LebongJames said:

We have 2 houses on the market. In SA we have had 36 showings since Friday. In Austin we have had 8. 

we got 9 offers on SA house this weekend nothing yet on house in Austin.

I wish I had an extra house right now.  No way I’d sell it until we’re past the hysteria part that forcing me to WFH.  I could just go live in the extra house.  Wife and I are driving each other INSANE.  Corona is quickly turning from a physical ailment to mental torture.   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Any major city in America is going to have cases. Check this map. It's already in most major cities and all 50 states.

ETpaCFIWAAAtVsD?format=jpg&name=large

8 hours ago, MissingInAction said:

I am gonna suck my own dick here, but I have called it the whole way through:

5 million dead in the US before it's done.

90% over 60.

Bet me.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I got $ that says no way MIA can bend over far enough to suck his own dick.

Can't believe this hasn't been posted yet..

NSFW

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away