Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

23 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

Well that should cut down on emissions.

To the contrary, this shit won't stand up after the covid ass venting is under control:

Scene from New York-Presbyterian Hospital this afternoon:

flare.jpg

2 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Seattle went ghost town a week before the NBA shut down.

Uh no it didn't.  I got a buddy who flew there from here with his dad to visit family that week, came back on that Wednesday (it was SB that week here) and Seattle was not "shut down" or a ghost town.

5 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Uh no it didn't.  I got a buddy who flew there from here with his dad to visit family that week, came back on that Wednesday (it was SB that week here) and Seattle was not "shut down" or a ghost town.

according to people that live there (that i talked to for work) there was no traffic and the stores were pillaged by noon on the 5th.  just reporting what i was told by people on the ground there.

1 minute ago, Hagbard Celine said:

according to people that live there (that i talked to for work) there was no traffic and the stores were pillaged by noon on the 5th.  just reporting what i was told by people on the ground there.

Likewise so I guess we will just have to agree to disagree....

17 minutes ago, TriStone said:

You have lost sight of your humanity.

Ok. I was extremely hyperbolic on Surly of all places and all the handwringers come out. As I clarified don’t want him to die but do find it highly ironic that he of all people tested positive. 

42 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

Seattle went ghost town a week before the NBA shut down.

Correct.  Seattle area school districts started to shut down on March 6th.  By March 10th, 70% of Seattle businesses had already shut down.

It also look like on March 6th WA had recorded less than 100 cases. 

Most states starting more aggressive approaches have a starting point at least five time that number today (IL >800, LA >800, CA lots, NY lots, TN >300)

Edited by triplehorn
  • Like 1

Assuming the lower Italy numbers today hold AND are the start of a downward trend, it took 28 days to happen from the moment Italy took significant action in the Lombardy region (quarantined towns and shut down schools on February 23). 

Sources: https://www.nytimes.com/article/coronavirus-timeline.html

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy/

In that time, total cases increased by ~37,000% (from ~200 to 59,000). Deaths increased by 182,000% (from 3 to 5,400). 

Edited by Dahobbs

1 hour ago, G650 said:

Verbose people should be beaten with a rubber hose.

For a dude that has posted that he has inside knowledge of the Whitehouse's response to this fucking disaster...  It's strange that he has no real insight (he only calls out posters and white knights others)  For what appear to be thinly veiled political reasons.

I like posters who have something to say humorous or informative...  Instead it seems like he just wants to be Surly's very own HOA president.    I keep reading his posts and thinking, how does this guy have such a huge rep to post ratio?  If he provides value it's not on this thread or he has a legion of socks/fuck bois.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Tailgate said:

I think the private sector is going to save our asses. Elon and the Detroit boys working on making ventilators and Facebook donated 720,000 masks they had in case fires had stayed around longer. These are just a couple examples...but even medical scientists are about to pull off some super hero shit.

One of the many benefits of a free society.

24 minutes ago, Loco said:

handies?

A) rules for thee; not for me 

B) Paul, who has an MD, went to the gym, the pool and lunched with his colleagues while the test was pending. 

The true experts handling this crisis. 

Edited by Js1
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, woohorn said:
2 hours ago, MissingInAction said:
The thought of me being intubated while a raging hard protrudes through my hospital gown is the laugh I needed today.

Even worse is that people are being intubated while layng on their stomachs.

* lying

On 3/20/2020 at 8:35 AM, Eastwood said:

I really wish HEB would setup a web cam for their stores so people can see if there is a line or not. That way people can monitor it to see when the best time to go would be.

17 cases now in Waco area.  I-35 gonna be lit up like one of those nighttime electricity maps from the Space Station. 

Edit: not sure why I quoted you Eastwood. 

Edited by Trey3216

From NBC NY on NYC and NYS deaths.

114 deaths in the state out of 15,168 cases (0.75% rate).

Specifically should be noted:

None of the 63 [NYC] people who died were 44 years old or younger, de Blasio said at his own news conference Sunday afternoon.

Seventy percent of the 114 [NYS] people who passed away were 70 years old or older, and the majority had underlying health conditions, Cuomo noted; approximately 80 percent of the people under 70 years old who died also had underlying health conditions.

Someone could correct me but isn't Japan despite average age much better at keeping themselves healthy?  I get a first hand chance to see the type of population that comes through my clinics and also lies in our hospital.  We are a sickly population akin to a third world country. Probably worse because we sit on our collective asses and consume ungodly amounts of simple carbohydrates. Obesity rates are through the roof and comorbid conditions abound. All you need to do is walk into any Dollar Store or Wal-Mart to assess the overall health of our country. It is depressing and it gives the Covid 19 virus a fertile field to create havoc (unlike Shaka's 19-20 defense). And unfortunately it will take some healthy people as well.

Japan is of the healthiest nations on earth, but so is Italy.

Rooting one way or another just so you can be proven right is idiotic but par for the course here.
If we could get a treatment or vaccine tomorrow, that shuts this thing down in its tracks, and that means Trump gets to crow over everyone and gets reelected, I'll take it.
People that are being snarky about overrun hospitals don't know what the hell they are talking about. Do you think all elective surgeries are equal? Some places have stopped doing "elective" cardiac surgeries, aortic aneurysms, oncologic resections etc. That will have an effect on people's lives that will not be directly measured as a Coronavirus statistic.
I was at the VA yesterday and one of the medicine floors was calling down to the SICU to ask for N95 masks because they had rule out patients with no proper PPE to wear. Ambulatory surgical centers are bringing their vents to the tertiary hospitals.
But please, keep posting about overreacting. 

Earlier I said I’d be fine with A&M developing the vaccine and being universally praised and my wife was like fuck man take it easy.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, naija said:

Rooting one way or another just so you can be proven right is idiotic but par for the course here.

If we could get a treatment or vaccine tomorrow, that shuts this thing down in its tracks, and that means Trump gets to crow over everyone and gets reelected, I'll take it.

People that are being snarky about overrun hospitals don't know what the hell they are talking about. Do you think all elective surgeries are equal? Some places have stopped doing "elective" cardiac surgeries, aortic aneurysms, oncologic resections etc. That will have an effect on people's lives that will not be directly measured as a Coronavirus statistic.

I was at the VA yesterday and one of the medicine floors was calling down to the SICU to ask for N95 masks because they had rule out patients with no proper PPE to wear. Ambulatory surgical centers are bringing their vents to the tertiary hospitals.

But please, keep posting about overreacting. 

No - rooting to be right despite that being a bunch of deaths is idiotic. 

Rooting to be right and hopefully as few people die as possible seems, I don’t know, normal. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Japan is of the healthiest nations on earth, but so is Italy.

healthy old people are never as healthy as they seem.

there is a medical concept of "reserve" and no matter how healthy you are, as you age, it just goes down.

Edited by naija
  • Like 1

The piecemeal rollout of surgery cancellations illustrates the problem with the decentralized way the management of this been going on.

Some places, it comes from the Gov. Others, the CEO of the hospital system. Some, the Department Chairs. In more than a few places, left up to the individual doctors. Meanwhile its been the recommendation from the Surgeon General for how long now..

28 minutes ago, Loco said:

For a dude that has posted that he has inside knowledge of the Whitehouse's response to this fucking disaster...  It's strange that he has no real insight (he only calls out posters and white knights others)  For what appear to be thinly veiled political reasons.

I like posters who have something to say humorous or informative...  Instead it seems like he just wants to be Surly's very own HOA president.    I keep reading his posts and thinking, how does this guy have such a huge rep to post ratio?  If he provides value it's not on this thread or he has a legion of socks/fuck bois.  

Actually, I haven’t claimed anything about sources. I’ve said I have a friend that is in the military and works in the White House. He’s support and doesn’t claim to know much and probably couldn’t say much, and I haven’t been coming on here hinting about some hidden knowledge. 

Look, it’s not sprinting here every 2 hours to update us all about what is happening at some random Florida beach around the corner, but that’s incredibly hard to top. 

You guys that live to talk about politics always have to bring it back to ... politics. Always. You are fucking drones about it. 

You’re a guest on this board, dude. You root for a shithole org in a shithole state in a shithole conference cheered on by shithole bands of people. The mystery isn’t what I am doing on a longhorn board with other longhorns. The mystery is what in the fuck you think is so special about your patently unfunny ass that you get to question anybody else for being around here. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away