Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I am starting to regret insisting that the wife get permission to work from home.

Just go in the bathroom, take your phone, and lock the door if you still need time to spank. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Captainant said:

Yeah, it's almost like we're four to six weeks behind in our response. But we aren't allowed to comment on how past decisions affect our current state of preparedness otherwise people shout you down because that's political?

Right now we're addressing the PPE and ICU problem. That's something we saw coming as far back as January. Using that as a yardstick of how far behind we are, I'm guessing it won't be until late April or early May when we see proactive treatment start to get some actual attention and resources.

In a world where we aren’t capable of doing two things st once, sure. PPE and ICU and ventilator stuff is a logistics question. What  you are talking about is a treatment issue. We are capable of doing both things at once. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

In a world where we aren’t capable of doing two things st once, sure. PPE and ICU and ventilator stuff is a logistics question. What  you are talking about is a treatment issue. We are capable of doing both things at once. 

Based on our response so far, I disagree that we're capable of doing two things at once. Shit, we still aren't even whole-assing one thing right now.

EDIT: Case in point - the president's aides are going around the news right now saying they'll end the social distancing mandate after 15 days, which we're a week into currently. That's the exact opposite of what we should be doing.

Edited by Captainant
  • Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

Interesting info from NSW and NZ.  Both are publishing flights to/from the country where they had someone infected and NSW is showing the close contact row numbers around the person.  

First case in Auckland was a person in their 60s: Iran to Bali to Auckland on Wednesday 26 February – flight EK450

https://www.health.govt.nz/our-work/diseases-and-conditions/covid-19-novel-coronavirus/covid-19-current-cases

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/diseases/Pages/coronavirus-flights.aspx

Edited by EuroHorn

fwiw, from the French hchq/azith study I think a case could be made for prophylactic use of the combo in critical human infrastructure, esp. healthcare.

The study reports: "Mean hydroxychloroquine serum concentration was 0.46 µg/ml+0.2 (N=20)."  That value is at least a starting reference point for therapeutic dosing.  HCQ has a long half-life (malaria prophylaxis is once per week dosing).  The question is what might be an effective dose interval for prophylaxis if less than daily for sustained prevention.  Macrolide abx like Azithromycin have previously been considered for prophylactic use to prevent COPD exacerbation.  Half-life of azithromycin is 68hrs which possibly makes it a candidate for less than daily dosing for covid prophylaxis.  One bit I did see suggested that the anti-viral effects of Azithromycin possibly relate to stimulation of interferon production during an active immune response.  So taking Azith without active infection may be less useful.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

He isn't saying don't test the treatment. He is saying the medical professionals can't recommend the treatment to everyone without further testing. This is simple stuff guys. 

I am starting to regret insisting that the wife get permission to work from home.
I set up the wife's office in a separate bedroom away from my office. We are in different parts of the house, which makes things a lot easier. We don't see each other for hours sometimes.

yup, small sample size (which luckily they talk about a ton in the paper)
  • total patients = 36
  • control patients = 16
  • Hydroxychloroquine patients = 20
  • Hydroxychloroquine and azithromycin patients (subset of the 20) = 6 patients i think?

Nope can’t take it. Azithromycin can cause discoloration of the tongue. Chicks won’t dig me with a pale tongue.

1 hour ago, Brisketexan said:

Well, that's fucking grand....I'm allergic to mycin drugs.  Seriously, I have NO other material allergies (I mean, other than seasonal stuff, cedar, cats).....but mycin drugs make me break out in hives.

There may be another class that is effective that is getting overshadowed. Tetracyclines for example.

22 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

fwiw, from the French hchq/azith study I think a case could be made for prophylactic use of the combo in critical human infrastructure, esp. healthcare.

The study reports: "Mean hydroxychloroquine serum concentration was 0.46 µg/ml+0.2 (N=20)."  That value is at least a starting reference point for therapeutic dosing.  HCQ has a long half-life (malaria prophylaxis is once per week dosing).  The question is what might be an effective dose interval for prophylaxis if less than daily for sustained prevention.  Macrolide abx like Azithromycin have previously been considered for prophylactic use to prevent COPD exacerbation.  Half-life of azithromycin is 68hrs which possibly makes it a candidate for less than daily dosing for covid prophylaxis.  One bit I did see suggested that the anti-viral effects of Azithromycin possibly relate to stimulation of interferon production during an active immune response.  So taking Azith without active infection may be less useful.

you first

• Like 1

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

Actually Greg, many of the things that are right for large urban areas can be applied to those 200+ counties, to keep them from seeing a big jump in cases.   

Because when he says “this particular point in time”, what happens in a week or two or three when many of those counties start seeing their first cases and don’t know what the fuck to do other than ship them off to one of the four big urban areas?

Okie governor is also being a stubborn ass about it, saying cities should decide. Tulsa and OKC have had to beg their suburbs and local small towns to adopt their shut downs, pointing out that if the local yokels in bumfuck bfe see a spike, they'll be filling up bigger hospitals in the cities. Also, the governor seems to think we need to see as spike in infections before shutting shit down. Hey idiot, if it spikes, it's too fucking late.

I'm almost certain that what is pushing this is the idea that if they shut stuff down and it doesn't spike, they'll be accused of being overreactive, while ignoring that the lack of a spike WAS EXACTLY THE FUCKING POINT!!! 

Someone said it earlier, maybe the disease should just win, we are too stupid to live on this planet anymore.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Nope can’t take it. Azithromycin can cause discoloration of the tongue. Chicks won’t dig me with a pale tongue.

A bit of a catch-22, because I hear death does something similar.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

According to this site is the dotted line a forecast for today?  If so, it shows things dropping off a bit.

it's always had the dotted line and it has always showed lower to start.  i'm thinking that's numbers as they come in for that day and it's cumulative, so it increases as the day goes on.

bing has a nice map.  found through google:

https://www.bing.com/covid

Edited by elfenix

1 minute ago, jinx said:

From a guy that chose not to live in a metropolis for a number of reasons, I want to pass along a big hearty FUCK YOU!  How is living in a large city full of people working out for you right about now? 

Yeah not getting the hate for small town Texas people. Talk about stereotyping.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, naija said:

you first

lol. iswyd.

Another general point of emphasis: in order to get statistically significant results with a relatively small 'n' number of subjects in the study, you have to have a pretty robust treatment effect.  

Contrast that with pharma where they take a med relegated to the dustbin and examine data from 10k subjects to find that the data shows statistical significance for the medication increasing total sleep time by 15 minutes!  Then spend $300M marketing dustbin med as a new sleep med, because statistical significance detecting a very small useful treatment side effect by runing a huge amount of data.

Edited by triplehorn
^my sig

15 minutes ago, elfenix said:

it's always had the dotted line and it has always showed lower to start.  i'm thinking that's numbers as they come in for that day and it's cumulative, so it increases as the day goes on.

bing has a nice map.  found through google:

https://www.bing.com/covid

Still waiting for New York to show "1"  for the "Recovered Cases" tally

8 minutes ago, jinx said:

From a guy that chose not to live in a metropolis for a number of reasons, I want to pass along a big hearty FUCK YOU!  How is living in a large city full of people working out for you right about now? 

His point may not have been eloquently stated but most rural hospitals have capacity to handle 1 severe Covid case, if that.  Period.    Regional hospitals probably not much more.  So if a town like Abilene, that serves that city + numerous small towns in West Texas  doesn't shut down and there is rapid spread, what are they going to do?  They won't be able to just ship them to Dallas or Ft. Worth if those hospitals are already at capacity.   So the point is I think the large cities are frustrated with the lack of statewide response knowing damn well they are going to be tasked with picking up the slack.  Particularly considering the entire goal of a shutdown in Dallas, for example, is to flatten the curve here to buy time to reduce capacity for the large hospitals.  The goal is the flatten the spread and then open things back up.  That plan doesn't work so well if the rest of the State doesn't do anything and dozens of Covid patients from towns that went on with business as usual are being shipped in daily from all over the state.   I hope a lot of the smaller towns throughout the state are making smart decisions and I'm sure plenty are.

• Like 6

18 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

According to this site is the dotted line a forecast for today?  If so, it shows things dropping off a bit.

We will not have hospital lab tests included in the Fed Govt. count until the end of this week at the earliest . . . according to the WH briefing last Saturday. I hope there is a flattening out occurring. The fight isn't over. 

Malaria drugs

Not a doctor, but . . . remember malarial drugs have killed kids easily when not dosed precisely or kids get into medicine cabinet.

DO NOT GIVE TO YOUR KIDS WITHOUT GUIDANCE FROM DOCTOR OR PHARMACIST WITH EXPERTISE IN PEDIATRIC PHARMA. (signed military brat shipped all over world with career officer). 

4 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Some good news - Growth of new cases in Italy has shrunk dramatically.

So,

1) all we have to do is what Italy did.

2) we aren't doing what Italy did.

Seriously, let's rip off the bandaid and lock shit down except for the essentials for a couple of weeks.  The sooner we get that done, the sooner we can get the growth rate under control and buy some time to get things set up for a sustained, but lower illness rate.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Just after college I had several really fun nights with a completely crazy chick who wore it.  Didn’t keep me away. 

Was her name Rhiannon? 

I've advised my son to steer clear of chicks named Rhiannon for any more than a long weekend, which in all likelihood would be a blast...But not for the long haul. If she has that name, that means her mama is a Stevie Nicks fanatic, which equals crazy as a shithouse rat, and that means an even crazier daughter. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

So,

1) all we have to do is what Italy did.

2) we aren't doing what Italy did.

Seriously, let's rip off the bandaid and lock shit down except for the essentials for a couple of weeks.  The sooner we get that done, the sooner we can get the growth rate under control and buy some time to get things set up for a sustained, but lower illness rate.

Agreed - this half measures shit that we’re doing is just prolonging the misery.

Either go on total lockdown for 2 weeks or do nothing at all.

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

We need to let Florida burn. When the locals die off it’ll be such a perfect vacation spot for the rest of us normal people

Isn’t this the economic strategy we are taking with California? Reclaim our most beautiful ocean states for the sane and logical!

12 minutes ago, Skipper said:

His point may not have been eloquently stated but most rural hospitals have capacity to handle 1 severe Covid case, if that.  Period.    Regional hospitals probably not much more.  So if a town like Abilene, that serves that city + numerous small towns in West Texas  doesn't shut down and there is rapid spread, what are they going to do?  They won't be able to just ship them to Dallas or Ft. Worth if those hospitals are already at capacity.   So the point is I think the large cities are frustrated with the lack of statewide response knowing damn well they are going to be tasked with picking up the slack.  Particularly considering the entire goal of a shutdown in Dallas, for example, is to flatten the curve here to buy time to reduce capacity for the large hospitals.  The goal is the flatten the spread and then open things back up.  That plan doesn't work so well if the rest of the State doesn't do anything and dozens of Covid patients from towns that went on with business as usual are being shipped in daily from all over the state.   I hope a lot of the smaller towns throughout the state are making smart decisions and I'm sure plenty are.

This may come as a shock, but I actually have an engineering degree from the esteemed University of Texas, so I can comprehend numbers.  I don't live in Texas, but my town here in Florida is shutting shit down left and right.

Had he said it once in passing that would be fine, but he continued to beat the drum. 

As a point of contrast on behalf of the Simple Jacks and Cletusus in the small towns, we have 5 confirmed cases in my area total. 

Edited by jinx
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, naija said:

by their own calculations, the number of patients didn't meet criteria for power, a Type I error rate of 0.05 and had >10% loss of patients. need 24 each of cohort and control. got 20 and 16.

they had 26 treated patients of whom 6 left for various reasons (some of which where medical) and chose not to include those 6 in the analysis when there are statistical ways you could do so.

also important to look at their exclusion criteria.

an RCT is not going to happen, but instead of applying it massively, NY has more than enough people to run a clinical trial on.

In addition, there were some baseline difference between the two groups in viral load. The HCQ+A group had lower viral load. 

7 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Was her name Rhiannon? 

I've advised my son to steer clear of chicks named Rhiannon for any more than a long weekend, which in all likelihood would be a blast...But not for the long haul. If she has that name, that means her mama is a Stevie Nicks fanatic, which equals crazy as a shithouse rat, and that means an even crazier daughter. 

For my life I’ve never seen a woman, taken by the wind...

• Like 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away