Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

4 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Isn’t this the economic strategy we are taking with California? Reclaim our most beautiful ocean states for the sane and logical!

California has a budget surplus, excellent infrastructure, a proactive Gov. who has served the state's citizens well during this crisis, and is the world's 5th largest economy.

But we have no room for any newcomers, sorry. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, washparkhorn said:

California has a budget surplus, excellent infrastructure, a proactive Gov. who has served the state's citizens well during this crisis, and is the world's 5th largest economy.

But we have no room for any newcomers, sorry. 

Yeah, 40 million is our limit.  Until it's not.

13 minutes ago, jinx said:

From a guy that chose not to live in a metropolis for a number of reasons, I want to pass along a big hearty FUCK YOU!  How is living in a large city full of people working out for you right about now? 

11 minutes ago, stone oak said:

Yeah not getting the hate for small town Texas people. Talk about stereotyping.

Because I have relatives and friends in small towns scattered across Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma, and far too many of them still think this is like the fucking flu, especially since they aren’t even testing in most of those places.   Social distancing to them is only 9 olds hanging out in the local diner in the morning, instead of 12. 

I would have absolutely no problem with the non-urban towns and counties trying to pretend like there is no pandemic, if they actually were able to stay at 0 cases.  No problem.  At all.  Keep your cases to 0 and I will cheer you on.   But you can’t do that, can you?

Because every single fucking day, we see more counties and towns in Texas racking up their first cases.    Every single fucking day    Just in the past 24 hours, 6 counties have had their first cases.  And I stopped trying to count the counties adding their second and third cases   

Abbott last week, in order to justify his hands-off approach, said there’s over 200 counties that don’t even have a case, deliberately ignoring the fact that testing in Texas is a shitshow.   Well, looking at the map this morning, I’d say that was easily around 190 or less that haven’t had their first case, and we will be down to 150 or less in short order    

And as these towns and counties get their first cases, and rack up their additional cases, eventually those little towns and counties will quickly fill up the handful ICU beds and tie up their ventilators available in their small hospitals.

And then they will ship their cases off to the major urban areas, who are already going to be under strain, and who have been working for weeks to keep the curve flat enough to take care of their own people.

And then us urban dweller will return your big and hearty FUCK YOU!  while hospital beds in our urban areas are taken up by folks from areas who didn’t believe in taking stricter measures.  

Everybody in this state needs to be doing their part, instead of just the urban areas, so that we don’t reach the point where you have to ship your patients to us.  

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So,

1) all we have to do is what Italy did.

2) we aren't doing what Italy did.

Seriously, let's rip off the bandaid and lock shit down except for the essentials for a couple of weeks.  The sooner we get that done, the sooner we can get the growth rate under control and buy some time to get things set up for a sustained, but lower illness rate.

It took 4 weeks from when they started taking major action for Italy to show this effect. If we follow the same pattern, we have another 2 weeks at minimum before the curve starts bending. 

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

It took 4 weeks from when they started taking major action for Italy to show this effect. If we follow the same pattern, we have another 2 weeks at minimum before the curve starts bending. 

Agreed.  I think it will likely be another 3-4 weeks.  My expectation is that we need to be largely shut down through April.   But that will be our breaking point -- economically, I think that's about all we can handle until we start finding ways to loosen restrictions.  But the longer we lollygag, the longer we stretch that out.

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Agreed.  I think it will likely be another 3-4 weeks.  My expectation is that we need to be largely shut down through April.   But that will be our breaking point -- economically, I think that's about all we can handle until we start finding ways to loosen restrictions.  But the longer we lollygag, the longer we stretch that out.

I suspect we'll hit 6 digit deaths per day in the US before this peaks. We acted way too late. Italy starting shutting down infected regions at 200 confirmed cases. I think the first time we took any action at all was around March 9. We had 700 cases at that time. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, jinx said:

This may come as a shock, but I actually have an engineering degree from the esteemed University of Texas, so I can comprehend numbers.  I don't live in Texas, but my town here in Florida is shutting shit down left and right.

Had he said it once in passing that would be fine, but he continued to beat the drum. 

As a point of contrast on behalf of the Simple Jacks and Cletusus in the small towns, we have 5 confirmed cases in my area total. 

Skipper said it in fewer words, and I didn’t realize you were in Florida.  I don’t know how it is in Florida, but we still have too many here in Texas that think this is nothing more than the flu, or their local leaders don’t want to upset certain folks (election year is just an unavoidable aspect of this mess).  

Ironically, I went to high school in Sugar Land (suburb outside of Houston) and far too many of my former classmates are every bit the flu-drum banging Cletuses as a lot of TexAgs posters, to the point where they are posting shit on Facebook that sounds like it came straight from ZeroHedge, Alex Jones, etc.   

These attitudes are going to fill up the hospitals of areas that are busting their asses to flatten the curve.  

Just now, Homercles said:

Unless it’s blatant the constant bitching about CR gets old.  

I will say that over the past week, the CR bullshit insertion has lessened.  The trend is in the right direction, perhaps we've finally turned the tide.  As usual, isolation from Cloak Room idiocy is the primary way to avoid infection.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Abbott last week, in order to justify his hands-off approach, said there’s over 200 counties that don’t even have a case, deliberately ignoring the fact that testing in Texas is a shitshow.   Well, looking at the map this morning, I’d say that was easily around 190 or less that haven’t had their first case, and we will be down to 150 or less in short order    

And as these towns and counties get their first cases, and rack up their additional cases, eventually those little towns and counties will quickly fill up the handful ICU beds and tie up their ventilators available in their small hospitals.

Look at this map so far today.  It's like a nighttime satellite photo.  And the entire E/SE part of the country ?  That is ominous as hell.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.15.54 AM

Just now, B00M said:

Italy is starting to curve down on the log scale but it looks like they still have a couple miserable weeks to go. 

Username checks out.  Hate to say it too, but it could be that the virus burned through the majority of the most vulnerable.   Not many left to die when entire villages lost most of their olds.  

2 minutes ago, B00M said:

Italy is starting to curve down on the log scale but it looks like they still have a couple miserable weeks to go. 

True but at least this is some evidence that the measures taken there have been effective.

if people in this country would stop acting like imbeciles we too could see a flattening of the curve.

This info is also enormously important for the nations psyche as well.

Edited by Message Board User
  • Like 1

Its seems like the big question is going to shift from (1) can we contain this to (2) to what extent can we keep it contained while restarting socializing sufficient to have a functioning economy. It seems like (2) is what places like China, South Korea and Singapore are struggling with now. Maybe Italy soon based on the posts above. It seems like the United States is still struggling with (1) due to our half and inconsistent measures. 

I have trouble seeing how we can loosen things up to allow economic activity to ramp back up while keeping the curve sufficiently flat to not overload the hospitals. Seems like we're going to be at least our current level of shut down until herd immunity or a vaccine, no?

A colleague from Chicago has the symptoms:  dry cough, 103* temp, shortness of breath....and couldn't get a test b/c he hasn't been out of the country in the last two weeks.  He's late 40s, no underlying issues that I know of, outside of he's at least a heavy drinker/borderline alcoholic. 

Now he was in Italy and France in January and, like me, is on a plane weekly traveling for business...but he doesn't qualify.

3 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

Its seems like the big question is going to shift from (1) can we contain this to (2) to what extent can we keep it contained while restarting socializing sufficient to have a functioning economy. It seems like (2) is what places like China, South Korea and Singapore are struggling with now. Maybe Italy soon based on the posts above. It seems like the United States is still struggling with (1) due to our half and inconsistent measures. 

I have trouble seeing how we can loosen things up to allow economic activity to ramp back up while keeping the curve sufficiently flat to not overload the hospitals. Seems like we're going to be at least our current level of shut down until herd immunity or a vaccine, no?

It would help if everybody was on the same page, instead of a patchwork of attitudes, even within states.    

6 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

TBD factors that could help a lot: 1) dial in med protocols to maximally reduce morbidity/mortality, need for hospitalization/length of stay. 2) get self administered IgG/IgM antibody tests available asap along with better understanding of immunity profiles to get 'safe' people back into daily routines to further national recovery.  The immunity profile info should be aided by collaborating with China/SoKo who have had an important head start understanding their populations. 

23 minutes ago, horncyclist said:

No.  I think once there is a viable treatment which can help, then I think that is the point.  The small French study really needs to be looked at and tested more broadly in the hot spots.  I believe NYC is going to try.  

33 minutes ago, triplehorn said:

Look at this map so far today.  It's like a nighttime satellite photo.  And the entire E/SE part of the country ?  That is ominous as hell.

Screen Shot 2020-03-23 at 11.15.54 AM

spacer.png

This is why Abbott needs to be moving now.    Right now, those  190 counties, or probably fewer by now, while a lot of them may not be sitting on major highways/hubs, and/or are not close to urban areas, they are close enough to those highways/urban areas, that they will eventually have their own cases.    People travel around this state.  It’s just the way it is.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

57 minutes ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

Was her name Rhiannon? 

I've advised my son to steer clear of chicks named Rhiannon for any more than a long weekend, which in all likelihood would be a blast...But not for the long haul. If she has that name, that means her mama is a Stevie Nicks fanatic, which equals crazy as a shithouse rat, and that means an even crazier daughter. 

She was batshit crazy.  Crystals, magick (with a "k"), spelled it "womyn" - the whole bit.  But (as expected) pretty amazing in bed and drank like a fucking fish.  Tailor made for that "what should I do with my life" phase after college.

Her name was pretty damn out there - "Amy."

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Because I have relatives and friends in small towns scattered across Texas, Arkansas, and Oklahoma, and far too many of them still think this is like the fucking flu, especially since they aren’t even testing in most of those places.   Social distancing to them is only 9 olds hanging out in the local diner in the morning, instead of 12. 

I would have absolutely no problem with the non-urban towns and counties trying to pretend like there is no pandemic, if they actually were able to stay at 0 cases.  No problem.  At all.  Keep your cases to 0 and I will cheer you on.   But you can’t do that, can you?

Because every single fucking day, we see more counties and towns in Texas racking up their first cases.    Every single fucking day    Just in the past 24 hours, 6 counties have had their first cases.  And I stopped trying to count the counties adding their second and third cases   

And then they will ship their cases off to the major urban areas, who are already going to be under strain, and who have been working for weeks to keep the curve flat enough to take care of their own people.

And then us urban dweller will return your big and hearty FUCK YOU!  while hospital beds in our urban areas are taken up by folks from areas who didn’t believe in taking stricter measures.  

Everybody in this state needs to be doing their part, instead of just the urban areas, so that we don’t reach the point where you have to ship your patients to us.  

1fa66e73859ebd973afdfa9350eebec4.jpg

24 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would help if everybody was on the same page, instead of a patchwork of attitudes, even within states.    

It's gonna take a lot more dead people to make that happen...

Or we lose internet.

Adler didn’t say much, so no presser scheduled yet I guess 

We want to make sure that we are prepared,” Adler said. ”(A shelter-in-place order) is part of the emergency planning that is happening. There are discussions happening right now to that issue.”

But Waco doing their thing

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/waco-mayor-kyle-deaver-issues-shelter-in-place-order/

Waco Mayor Kyle Deaver announced Monday morning that a shelter in place order will go into effect at 11:59 p.m. This is for everyone who does not work for what is considered an essential business.

The essential businesses include the following:

• Hospitals
  • Grocery stores, pharmacies, gas stations, and restaurants with drive-thrus or delivery services
  • Newspaper, television, and radio stations
  • Banking
  • Hardware and construction supply stores
  • Plumbers, electricians, exterminators, and others who provide services necessary to maintain the safety, sanitation, and essential operation of residences, essential activities, and essential businesses.
  • Mailing and shipping services
  • Businesses that supply products needed for people to work from home
  • Airlines, taxis, and other private transportation providers
  • Home-based care for seniors, adults, or children
  • Residential facilities for seniors, adults, and children
  • Legal, accounting, insurance, and real estate professional services

All travel, with the exception of essential travel, is prohibited. Everyone is encouraged to work from home to the best of their abilities.

Walking, hiking and bike riding are not prohibited. Outdoor activities are encouraged as long as you maintain a 6-foot distance from others.

Mayor Deaver cautioned people to not hoard groceries since the stores will be staying open. Only one member of the household should be grocery shopping at a time.

A special council meeting is scheduled for Tuesday to discuss whether to extend this shelter-in-place order for another seven days.

Cue up the Benny Hill Music and forget teams...  look at this asshat!  

We have no chance to get your average (or below average... this is not Lake Wobegon)  American to follow the rules when a Senator, who I believe is also a doctor,  doesn't feel the need to be bothered.  

“For those who want to criticize me for lack of quarantine, realize that if the rules on testing had been followed to a tee, I would never have been tested and would still be walking around the halls of the Capitol,'' Paul added. Current federal guidelines would not have called for him to get tested or quarantined, Paul said.

Fauci Face Palm

Edited by Loco
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away