Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Those Lake Travis HS kids who went on the soccer mission trip over spring break are finally coming home from Honduras.  Kind of surprised parents would be sending kids out of the country during a pandemic   

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-teens-stuck-in-honduras-after-border-closes-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/269-50787e7b-ed65-42c4-b5f0-129a431ae249

https://twitter.com/Bryce_Newberry/status/1241494357309632512

Edited by atomheartbevo

7 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Growler is good for 2-3 days.  Maybe 3-4

if you have a good one with a tight seal.  But that's really, really stretching it.

Well furk. I want to help but I won't be able to drink 3 growlers. I'll do one at a time and hope that they can keep filling during the height of our shutdown.

1 minute ago, Lone Star Horn said:

If I remember correctly from earlier, didn't one of those Italian mayors in Northern Italy have a "Hug a Chinese" campaign to show that they weren't racist against the poor Chinese that were being mischaracterized as disease carriers?

That's correct...and then went to their homes where, most likely, old people live with them in close quarters. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

If I remember correctly from earlier, didn't one of those Italian mayors in Northern Italy have a "Hug a Chinese" campaign to show that they weren't racist against the poor Chinese that were being mischaracterized as disease carriers?

Yeah, he was the Italian mayor who proved they were, in fact, disease carriers.  

This is going to be up there with New Coke or Ayds Diet Candy marketing campaigns.  

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Well furk. I want to help but I won't be able to drink 3 growlers. I'll do one at a time and hope that they can keep filling during the height of our shutdown.

I’d expect the screw top seal to last a few days no problem, but might I suggest that if you have a bottle you know will be stored at least a week, tape the top with duct tape. 2 - 3 wraps should be all you need. 

Edited by UT_OB1

4 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I had half a keg of Celis left over from a party (health oriented friends I guess) and at the end of the night we poured that stuff into all kinds of bottles and drank it for a week.

I'm not sayin it was good, but it was good enough.

i don't understand this criteria of being out of the country or in contact with someone who has it... at this point what difference does that make?? isn't plain old community spreading everywhere pretty much what's happening at this point?? 
Have to ration. Not enough tests/supplies.

9 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Those Lake Travis HS kids who went on the soccer mission trip over spring break are finally coming home from Honduras.  Kind of surprised parents would be sending kids out of the country during a pandemic   

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/local/austin-teens-stuck-in-honduras-after-border-closes-amid-coronavirus-pandemic/269-50787e7b-ed65-42c4-b5f0-129a431ae249

https://twitter.com/Bryce_Newberry/status/1241494357309632512

maybe the one time in history going to Honduras was safer than staying here...

56 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We continue to be on pace for it.  We had 23 deaths on 3/17/2020. By 3/20 we had 65. Yesterday we had 123. And we have 105 so far today. We very well may be near 200 before the day is over. At this pace, we'll hit 4 figures by April 1 and 5 figures by April 10. I don't know why you keep questioning the math on this, you've been wrong every step of the way. 

Source: https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/

No - I’ve been mostly right along the way. It started when everyone wanted to use a 3% + CFR and predict a million dead in the US alone. Then the chart that showed we were 7-10 days behind Italy, but only focused on cases. Then the idea that we were somehow worse at testing than Italy. Now it’s just fucking random numbers like 6 digit deaths a day, which I had to round down to 5 for you because you can’t even get that right. 

My kids getting back into school by June. That’s probably optimistic and might be my miss, but I think it’s good to focus on some hope and positives. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

300K?  really?  shit if those folks went home for CNY and came back....holy shit!

there is a province outside of florence called prato that is essentially chinatown on "one side of the tracks."  They are there to make textiles there so they can say "made in italy."  all the signs are even in mandarin.  here is a link to google street view of the particular neighborhood.  it is quite large.  you can see how everything is in both languages looking around the street.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.8599953,11.0529761,3a,75y,350.62h,98.67t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sHIqEf5Ja6OqYtKgVXzbr3Q!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Full lockdown in UK - they leapfrogged us there.  Pretty severe one too. 

In 2-3 weeks we will see what that did.

How so?  Again, read the fine print. 

We are collectively telling cafes, pubs, bars and restaurants to close tonight as soon as they reasonably can, and not to open tomorrow.

"We are also telling nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres to close on the same timescale."

Food shops, pharmacies, corner shops, hardware stores, petrol stations, pet shops, post offices, banks, newsagents and shops inside hospitals will stay open.

Travel isn’t being banned.  People can still go outside and are being encouraged to only shop for essentials.  Mass transit isn’t completely shut down  

This is mostly what we’ve already done. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/23/london-lockdown-coronavirus-shops-closed-tube-leave-home/amp/

Edited by UT_OB1
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Loco said:

Is this the first domestic travel ... restriction?

Don't know how they are possibly going to enforce this...  I-95 and what not

Genuine interstate commerce clause concerns there too. I appreciate the urgency in his action, but I don't think it'll hold up if somebody wants to challenge it

http://bannerhealth.mediaroom.com/trending-now-at-banner?item=122999

A man has died and his wife is under critical care after the couple, both in their 60s, ingested chloroquine phosphate, an additive commonly used at aquariums to clean fish tanks. Within thirty minutes of ingestion, the couple experienced immediate effects requiring admittance to a nearby Banner Health hospital. 

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, 'stache said:

I've had crowlers several weeks after filling and they were just fine. 

Yes, a crowler properly purged with the lid dropped on foam to insure any headspace is oxygen free will keep essentially as well as normal packaged beer given a quality seamer. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

We are collectively telling cafes, pubs, bars and restaurants to close tonight as soon as they reasonably can, and not to open tomorrow.

"We are also telling nightclubs, theatres, cinemas, gyms and leisure centres to close on the same timescale."

Food shops, pharmacies, corner shops, hardware stores, petrol stations, pet shops, post offices, banks, newsagents and shops inside hospitals will stay open.

Travel isn’t being banned.  People can still go outside and are being encouraged to only shop for essentials  

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/03/23/london-lockdown-coronavirus-shops-closed-tube-leave-home/amp/

But they said full lockdownWhy can't our leaders just say FULL LOCKDOWN????!!!!!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Loco said:

Is this the first domestic travel ... restriction?

Don't know how they are possibly going to enforce this...  I-95 and what not

Relative who works for The Mouse down there said DeSantis has been getting roasted by folks for trying to do as little as possible.   This is a way to act like you are doing something, when you’re not stopping it within state borders.  

My guess is Abbott is taking notes, and folks from Louisiana will be asked to self-quarantine or something.  

Doesn’t seem like it’d hold up in court.  

Edited by atomheartbevo

6 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

Travel isn’t being banned.  People can still go outside and are being encouraged to only shop for essentials.  Mass transit isn’t completely shut down  

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

But they said full lockdownWhy can't our leaders just say FULL LOCKDOWN????!!!!!

Big difference is that the police have been given the authority to issue fines for being out and about without a good reason. So it's quite a bit more significant than here in the US.

If cops started issuing tickets for just being outside with no good reason here in the states, people would be apoplectic

It is "mostly what we've already done". Just with some significant differences.

Just now, Pato del Muerto said:

Flying out of Hartford or philly or Baltimore or providence or Boston will be so tough. 

Yeah, and how will they enforce it even if you flew from NYC?  You fly in, have to go to the grocery store to get food for your quarantine right?  Then what happens? are they going to post a guard...  nope.

Like it or not we (the states) are tied at the hip.  This is why we have a federal government.

26 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Yes, the mayor of Florence:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dario_Nardella

330px-Dario_Nardella_(02)_crop.jpg

But the Italian Communist Party and its renamed successor coalition have ruled Tuscany for the last 50 years, so there was a stronger affinity for China than in many other places.

23 minutes ago, akhornfan said:

No - I’ve been mostly right along the way. It started when everyone wanted to use a 3% + CFR and predict a million dead in the US alone. Then the chart that showed we were 7-10 days behind Italy, but only focused on cases. Then the idea that we were somehow worse at testing than Italy. Now it’s just fucking random numbers like 6 digit deaths a day, which I had to round down to 5 for you because you can’t even get that right. 

My kids getting back into school by June. That’s probably optimistic and might be my miss, but I think it’s good to focus on some hope and positives. 

We were always roughly two weeks behind Italy. Still are. Guess what their total death count was 2 weeks ago? 463. Ours so far is 572. Their daily deaths? 97 Ours? 116 so far today. Seriously, you haven't been right one time on any subject. You've moved goal posts and attacked straw man arguments. When this started, you thought it was just the flu and no big deal. You thought the CFR would go below the regular flu. Both of those are obviously wrong at this point. 

Edited by Dahobbs
  • Like 7
  • Fuck You 1

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away