Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Probably already mentioned in this mega thread, but tonight I learned that liquor stores are considered “essential businesses” in Texas as a grocery store because they offer meats, cheeses, crackers, other food and non-alcoholic beverages and mixers. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Probably already mentioned in this mega thread, but tonight I learned that liquor stores are considered “essential businesses” in Texas as a grocery store because they offer meats, cheeses, crackers, other food and non-alcoholic beverages and mixers. 

Grocery stores in CA have liquor.  We good.  

3 hours ago, Jameslaw121 said:

I have a one year old and my wife is working from home (we have a home office that is pretty well sealed off from the rest of the house) - So I'm Mr Mom.It's not so bad, but I can tell that a week from now I'm going to go insane

You have my sympathies, this is a helluva time to have such a young kid.    At least, when it’s not raining, the weather is pleasant enough to spend a lot of time outside.   Get a jogging stroller and get some exercise.  

If you are in Austin and you need anything that’s not available at a grocery store, better grab it tomorrow before everything shuts down (although most Walmart’s should stay open due to groceries).   If you go online, Amazon has a helluva long wait, but grabbing it off of Walmart.com will get here much faster.  

Which makes me wonder what’s up with Amazon - plenty of stuff in stock, has the restriction that it won’t get her until late April.   I know they are focused on food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc. and pushing toys and hobby stuff to the back burner, but it’s a helluva backlog   

I can just picture a bunch of people hopping on Amazon in a week to get their kids Easter Bunny gifts, and realizing they are fucked and stuck with whatever the grocery stores have (unless they have a Walmart that’s open).  And there’s probably a shipload of parents already buying up toys for their stuck-at-home kids.

1 minute ago, naija said:

FYI, the VAs are using Hydroxychloroquine and Azithromycin

When are their outcomes data going to become available?  Seems like they should be able to press out some interim analysis within +/-7 days. 

Edited by Anastasis

1 hour ago, Bevo VIII said:

Maintenance supervisor at a facility that bends and fabricates rebar.

I would think (and pray) that you're good.  Do you know whether any of the rebar you manufacture is used on state or federal highway or infrastructure projects?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-23/coronavirus-traces-lingered-in-vacated-cruise-cabins-for-17-days

Coronavirus Traces Lingered in Vacated Cruise Cabins for 17 Days

Traces of new coronavirus were found on surfaces in cruise-ship cabins for as many as 17 days after passengers left, researchers said, though it wasn’t possible to determine whether they caused any infections.

Researchers looked at the rooms of infected passengers aboard the Diamond Princess, both those who showed symptoms and those who didn’t, according to a study Monday in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. (snip)

30 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

Good friend was driving to Meridian today. He planned on going through Louisiana to save a few hours. New boss (Rolls Royce) told him he would have to quarantine for 2 weeks if he went through the state. Now it makes sense. 

4 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Separate the message from the messenger.  There is a cost-benefit analysis to be made AT SOME POINT.  Putting the economy into recession or depression will cost lives and wreck lives for years to come.  COVID-19 is also awful.  Which is worse?

Our elected Lt. Governor is already making that cost-benefit analysis this evening.   Spoilered for those who don’t want to hear from elected officials.  

Spoiler

28 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I almost wish the legislature was in session this year, this would be a great time to get some liquor laws cleaned up in this state. 

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

RayDog has said that $20 gets you a test drive, but then you move to $100 a week for family support.  Or something like that.

Now, we also know that RayDog has ceased fucking random women that he passes on the street, so his annual budget for girlfriends is approximately $5k.  So for $10k he gets one girlfriend (or multiple girlfriends one at a time) for 2 years.

That is not a legion of poon.

No, but it’s an awesome value for the money.   

A peek at the inner-workings of RayDog’s life is one of the best things to come out of this thread.  

48 minutes ago, Lobo said:

The only thing that pains me to hear is it you were somehow and very bizarrely associated with the University which I teach.   It is literally impossible that you were this stupid.  

Given your posting takes and history, I’m fine being judged by you however you wish. Calling me stupid makes as much sense coming from you and your ilk as anything else. 

26 minutes ago, Message Board User said:

I went with my wife and another couple to NOLA the weekend after Mardi Gras. We discussed corona ahead of it and went anyway. The whole place acted like it didn’t notice, but it was markedly less populated than normal. We had access to whatever reservations we wanted. Great fucking time. I feel like we had the last good long weekend in New Orleans for the foreseeable future. Outbreak happened after we left. They’ll honestly be in my thots and players, but man, I don’t have any confidence in those idiots to handle this well. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

7 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-23/coronavirus-traces-lingered-in-vacated-cruise-cabins-for-17-days

Traces of new coronavirus were found on surfaces in cruise-ship cabins for as many as 17 days after passengers left, researchers said, though it wasn’t possible to determine whether they caused any infections.

Researchers looked at the rooms of infected passengers aboard the Diamond Princess, both those who showed symptoms and those who didn’t, according to a study Monday in the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report. (snip)

Wonder if they shined a black light on the walls and floors and furniture.   

41 minutes ago, Hagbard Celine said:

RayDog has said that $20 gets you a test drive, but then you move to $100 a week for family support.  Or something like that.

Now, we also know that RayDog has ceased fucking random women that he passes on the street, so his annual budget for girlfriends is approximately $5k.  So for $10k he gets one girlfriend (or multiple girlfriends one at a time) for 2 years.

That is not a legion of poon.

1/10 the price of being married and approximately infinitely more poon. I think he’s got it figured out. 

6 minutes ago, clapclapclap said:

hotel hell bedsheets GIF by Fox TV

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Hate said:

I'm still going with the middle of April as far as some businesses returning at least skeleton crews.  Maybe they have a process where everyone checks their temperature a few times a day?  Maybe special "time off" is given to anyone with a fever until they've been able to be tested?  I don't know exactly what it will look like, but I think we are 3 weeks away from trying to restore our new normal. 

Probably.  Easter is April 12th.  No way things kick in the week before and then plunge right into Easter Sunday, which could kick off a new round of infections.    If they are willing to extend things to the day after Easter Sunday, there are no large public gatherings/holidays for well over another month after that  (Memorial Day).  And the theory of warmer weather being bad for it comes that much closer into play.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WBT said:

It would be interesting to see those rates modeled versus population density, average daily temp, average relative humidity, and whatever other factors you could think to throw in there.  You'd need a way to account for societal norms for contact and timing of social distancing efforts also.

I want to see regression coefficients, not stupid charts!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bevo said:

Maybe, Maybe not, Maybe fuck yourself. I had about half the symptoms about 3 weeks ago. Diarrhea, sore throat, and headache for a few days followed by weakness and temperature for about a day which dissipated but left a little asthma. I felt better and road my bike over the next weekend. But the asthma returned and stayed with me. It is most likely from riding 35 mi during allergy season, cutting the lawn, and then having a drink before bed. But, I've never had asthma that has kind of lingered like this. If I had to guess, I would say that I had something other than COVID-19 and the lingering stuff is just allergies. But, how would I know. The exact same symptoms have other people convinced that they have the virus. It would be nice to know where I stand. Did I have the virus? Am I recovered? Am I contagious? It is kind of hard to act without knowing some basic facts.

squirts are not a symptom.

and

*rode

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Exhibit A of why the govt has to shut shit down to keep people home/from travelling instead of relying on people to use common sense.

It was late February. I’m sure you were sheltering in place at that moment. Give me a fucking break with your dramatic silliness. I doubt you fucking discussed this shit with anyone on 2/26, but feel free to tell us your story. 

“No common sense” equates to staying home before known spread in an area? Well, we’re all dumbasses then for the next pandemic we’re going to catch in 30 years. Luckily <checks notes> Hmbre97 </checks notes> has been hiding in a fucking sterile space unit for the past 30 years due to common sense and he’s here to lead us out of this new epidemic. Actually discussing risks and behaviors at that point in time was common sense, you pompous blowhard. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Modessit said:

A friend's husband is a GM at a grocery store in the greater Austin area (a suburb). She was freaking out about the SIP order and he showed her this letter he got last week:

bd99c9f593866f7438d7e11b1e78bb69.jpg

Another friend has a son who works for Target and they gave him a similar letter this past weekend.

A lot of my fellow Amazon and gig-food delivery peeps are wondering if we'll need a similar letter before too long.

Can you explain if those crazy delays being shown for in stock stuff are real?  Are you all moving so much stuff that they are truly having to classify everything as essential or nonessential?   Because that’s amazing if so much stock is being moved, that Prime stuff is showing late April or into May   

Anyways, according to a cop who lives in our neighborhood, courtesy of somebody freaking out on Nextdoor, no, they won’t be asking for papers.   They are focused on the stuff they normally focus on, having to make up for officers who are in or may have to quarantine, and keeping people from congregating who shouldn’t (parties, non-essential businesses trying to stay open, etc.).

He also said they are having to ramp up the cleaning they are doing (I guess their cars if they are hauling people around or sharing cars with other officers or whatever).   

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It was late February. I’m sure you were sheltering in place at that moment. Give me a fucking break with your dramatic silliness. I doubt you fucking discussed this shit with anyone on 2/26, but feel free to tell us your story. 

“No common sense” equates to staying home before known spread in an area? Well, we’re all dumbasses then for the next pandemic we’re going to catch in 30 years. Luckily <checks notes> Hmbre97 </checks notes> has been hiding in a fucking sterile space unit for the past 30 years due to common sense and he’s here to lead us out of this new epidemic. Actually discussing risks and behaviors at that point in time was common sense, you pompous blowhard. 

You already have this all figured out. Why are you responding to these rubes?

• Like 4

“No common sense” equates to staying home before known spread in an area?

How do you think it gets spread to an area before it's known? You think it got here from China in the fucking jet stream? No, it's people traveling. So yes, anyone with common sense knowing how contagious this shit is would have stayed their ass in their respective town unless absolutely necessary.

We should have been doing what we're doing now weeks ago if we really wanted to keep this from getting out of hand.
  • Like 1

Curious.  Is there any chance that regular Flu (sick/death) numbers could get mixed in with Coronavirus (sick/death) numbers?
I'm sure there still be crossover. Just like there will be people who will never get the flu and die because they stayed home to avoid CV.

It's like car accident deaths going down due to no traveling but some of those people might die from something else like CV. There really isn't a way to track a maybe.

For anyone wondering how to spend some time with a quality series...I recommend The Wire.  

It’ll start a little slow, the ode to Snot Boogey is just the beginning...McNulty has his flaws, but let him guide you into the seedy Baltimore underground. Season 2 will come as a shocking change of pace, but you’ll learn to begrudgingly respect it with the gift of hindsight.  Omar may be the best antihero ever created for tv, but learn to love Brandon while you can so you can learn to understand Mr Little.  Laugh with Bunk, but shut up when Lester is speaking and you may learn something...like Bunk does when Lester finds Lex resting place.  

If I were a man with time to burn and no wife/kids to worry about, that’s what I’d do.  And I’ll be jealous as fuck of any of y’all watching it for the first time.  

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Homercles said:

For anyone wondering how to spend some time with a quality series...I recommend The Wire.  

It’ll start a little slow, the ode to Snot Boogey is just the beginning...McNulty has his flaws, but let him guide you into the seedy Baltimore underground. Season 2 will come as a shocking change of pace, but you’ll learn to begrudgingly respect it with the gift of hindsight.  Omar may be the best antihero ever created for tv, but learn to love Brandon while you can so you can learn to understand Mr Little.  Laugh with Bunk, but shut up when Lester is speaking and you may learn something...like Bunk does when Lester finds Lex resting place.  

If I were a man with time to burn and no wife/kids to worry about, that’s what I’d do.  And I’ll be jealous as fuck of any of y’all watching it for the first time.  

If I watch it, it would be for the first time. 

4 minutes ago, Homercles said:

Wow, great recommendation. What hidden gem will you tell us about next? The Sopranos? Breaking Bad?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

So 46,000 cases, 11,000 new cases.   And we are not even bottlenecked at this point as far as capacity, it seems to be in processing, and getting people tested.  

It maybe getting easier to be tested in Austin - friend was just told he gets the test, after they originally turned him down a few days ago.  I don’t think testing capacity increased, I think they just loosed the requirements (wouldn’t test him because he had no known contacts and recent travels).  

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Listen, it is not a crazy point of view. Problem is, it has no fucking place on this thread. This is the thread where we extrapolate numbers without caveat until all of us are presumed dead ...  from COVID19, sir. 

1000%

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away