Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

Somebody is going to fuck this up for us in Austin.   Probably somebody from California. 

https://www.cnn.com/world/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-23-20-intl-hnk/h_73c440c990de9f9557c8dc908caffc7f

In response to numerous reports of gatherings at parks and beaches over the weekend, San Diego will move forward with the closure of all parks, beaches, boardwalks, city lakes and trails, Mayor Kevin Faulconer announced at a news conference Monday. 

"It's time to protect each other," he said. "Physical distance is the key to beating this virus and that is why we're acting today. It is simply irresponsible to congregate and it is unfair to the rest of San Diego."

Faulconer went on to say that San Diego police officers will be permitted to enforce the new rules with fines.

• Like 1

I think it was treated as a joke about dogs catching it, but I saw a story recently out of Hong Kong of a 2nd dog confirmed with CV. Owner had it, has two dogs of different breeds, and one tested positive. German Shepherd. Showing no symptoms. Not sure what made them test the dogs.

Proving dogs can get it would probably motivate more people than showing overwhelmed hospitals.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

Wow, great recommendation. What hidden gem will you tell us about next? The Sopranos? Breaking Bad?

I've never seen The Wire, so his recommendation reminded me of that.  I found the post useful.

On 3/22/2020 at 6:07 PM, Zepol87 said:

So many loopholes for companies to try to say they fit in these "essential" businesses. Buddy works at a car dealership and they are telling everyone they aren't closing. No one will close

I have a friend that owns a dealership in LBK as soon as they said all non-essential businesses had to close there tomorrow, he texted and said .."we're not closing, people have to have cars" ....lolololo

Edited by michaelpshayes

4 hours ago, GabrielsHorn said:

Denver already relaxed its liquor and marijuana closures. Having lines that literally stretched blocks probably were worse for the spread of the virus than normal operations at those stores would have been. 

See, now that's how you shift the Overton Window.   Go hard right telling people you are shutting everything down, then peel back on a few concessions you don't really give a shit about to get the people to willingly comply with what you really want.

Imagine in the 2000's if you told people you would have to show up to the airport 2+ hours early, wait in long security lines for searches, only ticketed passengers at gates, and you basically had to leave your rights at the door.  No way that would fly.  We could show up 5 min before a flight with no security, birthing as much baggage as your could carry, and have family meet you at the gate.

So tell them to you want them to show up 5 hours early, get strip searched and probed, no luggage allowed carry-on, and everyone is shackled to their seat for the duration of the flight.   Then walk it back to the middle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, michaelpshayes said:

I have a friend that owns a dealership in LBK as soon as they said all non-essential businesses had to close there tomorrow, he texted and said .."we're not closing, people have to have cars" ....lolololo

I think a lot of buttholes are puckering though at the dealerships. I went shopping for a new truck a few weeks ago in anticipation of getting a good deal during all this shit. My phone/email have blown the fuck up the last few days trying to get me down there to buy.

3 minutes ago, Treefidy said:

See, now that's how you shift the Overton Window.   Go hard right telling people you are shutting everything down, then peel back on a few concessions you don't really give a shit about to get the people to willingly comply with what you really want.

Imagine in the 2000's if you told people you would have to show up to the airport 2+ hours early, wait in long security lines for searches, only ticketed passengers at gates, and you basically had to leave your rights at the door.  No way that would fly.  We could show up 5 min before a flight with no security, birthing as much baggage as your could carry, and have family meet you at the gate.

So tell them to you want them to show up 5 hours early, get strip searched and probed, no luggage allowed carry-on, and everyone is shackled to their seat for the duration of the flight.   Then walk it back to the middle.

9/11 was 2001 my dude. The shoe bomber was before that. Flying has not been simple since the mid 80s. 

34 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

How do you think it gets spread to an area before it's known? You think it got here from China in the fucking jet stream? No, it's people traveling. So yes, anyone with common sense knowing how contagious this shit is would have stayed their ass in their respective town unless absolutely necessary.

We should have been doing what we're doing now weeks ago if we really wanted to keep this from getting out of hand.

Congrats on your sheltering in place in February, bro. You need to make sure Instagram knows that and you will get mad insta points or likes for that. 

31 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

You have honestly always seemed a lot smarter than this.  

Oh come on. I posted on this thread that I was heading there and went there. This is ahead of business travel being a concern. No one was shrieking that I was socially violating them, and I didn’t. Multiple posters have traveled since, with impunity.

Also, I have had my parents isolated since that weekend and been self-isolating since March 8/9. No issues and no one is showing signs weeks later. You’re smart enough to not project current data on history, and it doesn’t actually matter if you do. 

I’ll also be one of the first Surly travelers to go somewhere when this shit is over, without apology. You have to live, considerately.  

1 hour ago, Hate said:

I'm still going with the middle of April as far as some businesses returning at least skeleton crews.  Maybe they have a process where everyone checks their temperature a few times a day?  Maybe special "time off" is given to anyone with a fever until they've been able to be tested?  I don't know exactly what it will look like, but I think we are 3 weeks away from trying to restore our new normal. 

Fuck I hope you’re right.  May 1 my guess.  And by Memorial Day Vegas is in full swing.  One can dream...

58 minutes ago, UT_OB1 said:

1/10 the price of being married and approximately infinitely more poon. I think he’s got it figured out. 

Of all the bullshit mathematical extrapolations and projections on this thread, I find this 1/10 figure the most insulting and far fetched. 

Also, it really is going to be the most New Orleans thing ever when they are the worst hit place in the country. It will be a shit show of unparalleled tragedy. That place can't get out of its own way and is too proud / stubborn / ignorant / drunk / corrupt to ever change. 

• Like 6

posted this in the local business thread but i know there's been quite a bit of discussion in this thread as well...

detailed article with good info on takeout food and risk

https://www.seriouseats.com/2020/03/food-safety-and-coronavirus-a-comprehensive-guide.html#covid-on-food

tl,dr: historical patterns of both food born pathogens and respiratory illnesses point to very low risk: "The fact that every person eats multiple times a day and thus far no link has been found between eating and viral clusters is strong evidence that no such link exists."

i'm reassured bc we've been ordering out a lot... one, bc i am trying to help our local neighborhood spots as much as possible (sad to see El Dorado closed)...but also bc we started a major remodel a week before this blew up, and my kitchen functionality is severely limited 😐 (i was the one having a minor breakdown about that last week)

everybody has their own risk tolerance, of course, but maybe that will reassure some folks. 🙂

• Like 1

Fuck I hope you’re right.  May 1 my guess.  And by Memorial Day Vegas is in full swing.  One can dream...

My uneducated ass thinks the end of this week/weekend will be the telling on how this fight goes. If we’re keeping the death graph from growing crazy before the early March shut down began from schools, universities, nba nhl ncaa etc, we’re going to be getting back to normal mid-late April since the shelter in place, bar/restaurant and extreme hammering of social distancing numbers should be rolling in next week.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

I don't think you can keep people in thier home for more than a month. Something will give if you keep your thumb on volcano long enough. I'd hate to see that happen.

• Like 2

Per NDT China did not count 43,000 asymptomatic positives as confirmed cases. China lost 21 million mobile subscribers in the past three months. An article published in a Japanese journal put the percentage of asymptomatic cases at 30.8%.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Of all the bullshit mathematical extrapolations and projections on this thread, I find this 1/10 figure the most insulting and far fetched. 

Also, it really is going to be the most New Orleans thing ever when they are the worst hit place in the country. It will be a shit show of unparalleled tragedy. That place can't get out of its own way and is too proud / stubborn / ignorant / drunk / corrupt to ever change. 

You sir are more of an outlier than the 20 year old passes away due to CV even though they only had a 0.0018% chance of dying. There is no way any of our mere marital experiences can live up (down?) to your “normal.”  We are humbled by you, and thank you for your service to all other men. 

13 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Oh come on. I posted on this thread that I was heading there and went there...

I think he was referring to your choice of places to travel to, not that you traveled. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Congrats on your sheltering in place in February, bro. You need to make sure Instagram knows that and you will get mad insta points or likes for that. 

Way to go with the hyperbole. You can try to twist it however you want but anyone travelling on an airplane unless absolutely necessary was/is an idiot. This goes for anybody taking vacations. We didn't go from 1 known case 2 months ago to 46k and growing today because people were taking emergency trips via airplane... 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

Way to go with the hyperbole. You can try to twist it however you want but anyone travelling on an airplane unless absolutely necessary was/is an idiot. This goes for anybody taking vacations. We didn't go from 1 known case 2 months ago to 46k and growing today because people were taking emergency trips via airplane... 

Can we go from 46k to zero if people stop taking emergency trips via airplane? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

Can we go from 46k to zero if people stop taking emergency trips via airplane? 

Airplanes are virtually empty right now because shit got serious and people are curbing travel finally. If that had been the case from middle/end of February, you think we'd still have 46k cases today?

2 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

RayDog has said that $20 gets you a test drive, but then you move to $100 a week for family support.  Or something like that.

Now, we also know that RayDog has ceased fucking random women that he passes on the street, so his annual budget for girlfriends is approximately $5k.  So for $10k he gets one girlfriend (or multiple girlfriends one at a time) for 2 years.

That is not a legion of poon.

It is in America if you're married.  

Or he could pay the American rate for a wife and have a fucking harem that would make Abdullah look like a pussy.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Treefidy said:

It is in America if you're married.  

Or he could pay the American rate for a wife and have a fucking harem that would make Abdullah look like a pussy.  

No shit. At $20 a pop, he could fuck a different chick every day of the week and still come out cheaper than being married. High probability that your dick falls off though.

• Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Hmbre97 said:

When you post your gofundme designed to sue all of the thoughtless people who took vacations or business trips in January and February, please link it here and I will make certain that I contribute my $9.95 to the cause. 

Beyond that, my twitter handle and insta handle could all use the SJW traffic from your cause. Please publicly scold me for traveling in February at @GreenspointTexas across all social platforms. I need both the followers and the well-wishes.  Thanks in advance, sweet leader of the moral high ground, Hmbre97. 

• Like 2

fucking genius.  good chance some of his congregation gets sick, even better chance they don’t die, and he gets to claim he healed them with the power of the lord.  that man knows how to play the game. 

•  

While we fix to control NY/NJ now then begin to focus on the other big 3 (Cali, Texas and Florida) from forming clusters...some shit random states like Louisiana and Georgia are out here getting their asses kicked that’ll require some extra attention needed.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When you post your gofundme designed to sue all of the thoughtless people who took vacations or business trips in January and February, please link it here and I will make certain that I contribute my $9.95 to the cause. 

Beyond that, my twitter handle and insta handle could all use the SJW traffic from your cause. Please publicly scold me for traveling in February at @GreenspointTexas across all social platforms. I need both the followers and the well-wishes.  Thanks in advance, sweet leader of the moral high ground, Hmbre97. 

No need, you're doing a pretty good job of showing your ass on your own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Modessit said:

I think it was treated as a joke about dogs catching it, but I saw a story recently out of Hong Kong of a 2nd dog confirmed with CV. Owner had it, has two dogs of different breeds, and one tested positive. German Shepherd. Showing no symptoms. Not sure what made them test the dogs.

Proving dogs can get it would probably motivate more people than showing overwhelmed hospitals.

It would be great if a lot of dog owners believed it  It would make all the fucktards who treat every park as a dog park keep their “children” on leashes.  

Thinking about CV transmission and hot spots being high density areas, plumbing drain and vent systems seem like a good candidate for spreading.  Buildings and their shared systems, traps dry out frequently if not used often, and I would not be surprised if they find that to be strong contributor.  

Any plumbing people around here who could confirm or dismiss this?  We have a floor drain in the mud room and it took me a while to get into the habit of pouring water down it once a month to keep the trap full.   The smell was my reminder before I started regularly taking care of it. 

39 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It would be great if a lot of dog owners believed it  It would make all the fucktards who treat every park as a dog park keep their “children” on leashes.  

I imagine dogs are nice mobile, social surfaces for the virus. Get pets from sickies, then get pets from others.  Breaking social distancing all over town. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RayDog said:

Per NDT China did not count 43,000 asymptomatic positives as confirmed cases. China lost 21 million mobile subscribers in the past three months. An article published in a Japanese journal put the percentage of asymptomatic cases at 30.8%.

I put nothing past the CCP but it's important to note that New Tang Dynasty Television is run out of New York by Falun Gong practitioners.  There is nothing wrong with Falun Gong other than the CCPs rounding them up and torturing them so they are going to take any anti CCP slant they can get and run with it (not that I blame them mind you).

I will say something has to give.... Either the virus is more deadly than the current published rates or this whole lockdown thing still seems a bit extreme.

11 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I put nothing past the CCP but it's important to note that New Tang Dynasty Television is run out of New York by Falun Gong practitioners.  There is nothing wrong with Falun Gong other than the CCPs rounding them up and torturing them so they are going to take any anti CCP slant they can get and run with it (not that I blame them mind you).

I will say something has to give.... Either the virus is more deadly than the current published rates or this whole lockdown thing still seems a bit extreme.

Given how fast they moved in locking down, bodies in trees?

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away