Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

And TIL... from the CDC website

”The practice of quarantine, as we know it, began during the 14th century in an effort to protect coastal cities from plague epidemics. Ships arriving in Venice from infected ports were required to sit at anchor for 40 days before landing. This practice, called quarantine, was derived from the Italian words quaranta giorni which mean 40 days.”

40 days on a 14th century ship, sitting in an Italian harbor...I’m guessing the phrase “your turn in the barrel” was invented around that time.  

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I put nothing past the CCP but it's important to note that New Tang Dynasty Television is run out of New York by Falun Gong practitioners.  There is nothing wrong with Falun Gong other than the CCPs rounding them up and torturing them so they are going to take any anti CCP slant they can get and run with it (not that I blame them mind you).

I will say something has to give.... Either the virus is more deadly than the current published rates or this whole lockdown thing still seems a bit extreme.

Since NDT sources have been posted  numerous times on this thread I assumed people know what they are and would apply an appropriate filter to the information. Their reports bring up daily examples of CCP dishonesty which I find helpful to assess the big picture of CCP lies. The bottom line is anyone who trusts CCP data on this crisis is an idoit.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Hmbre97 said:

How do you think it gets spread to an area before it's known? You think it got here from China in the fucking jet stream? No, it's people traveling. So yes, anyone with common sense knowing how contagious this shit is would have stayed their ass in their respective town unless absolutely necessary.

We should have been doing what we're doing now weeks ago if we really wanted to keep this from getting out of hand.

Just curious, when did you self quarantine ?

• Like 1

Philippines is up to 552 cases and 35 deaths.  28 of the 35 were Male and 25 of 35 were 65+. There are 20 recoveries. The vast majority of cases are still centered in Manila.  The are still none in Angeles where I live. I heard there are 2 cases in Olongapo per a youtuber.

I think that puts metro Manila 3 weeks behind Italy. The rest of the country has it better under control and with good mask usage and social distancing may keep it that way for a while longer.

5 hours ago, futureman said:

fucking genius.  good chance some of his congregation gets sick, even better chance they don’t die, and he gets to claim he healed them with the power of the lord.  that man knows how to play the game. 

•  
  •  

The Lord works in mysterious ways 14-21 days!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, VABuckeye said:

Ashburn here. Yeah, all construction is a go but we’re on hold for finding out if we’ve won new government projects. 

One of my big concerns would definitely be getting work but fortunately we are starting several big projects as we speak that will take us through June at least

7 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

squirts are not a symptom.

and

*rode

The most common symptoms of COVID-19 are fever, tiredness, and dry cough. Some patients may have aches and pains, nasal congestion, runny nose, sore throat or diarrhea. These symptoms are usually mild and begin gradually. Some people become infected but don’t develop any symptoms and don't feel unwell. Most people (about 80%) recover from the disease without needing special treatment. Around 1 out of every 6 people who gets COVID-19 becomes seriously ill and develops difficulty breathing. Older people, and those with underlying medical problems like high blood pressure, heart problems or diabetes, are more likely to develop serious illness. People with fever, cough and difficulty breathing should seek medical attention.

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

So what are the chances my vasectomy will proceed on May 8 as scheduled?  I’m focused on the important things, people.

high. Things are shutdown in Austin until April 21 at midnight. That is a month that the doctor will be shutdown. I don't think the government will put such people out of business. So, I don't think they can ask doctors to go an additional 3 weeks, so nearly 2 months paying staff without work.

On 3/22/2020 at 3:20 PM, MAUFRAIS said:

Earlier I said I’d be fine with A&M developing the vaccine and being universally praised and my wife was like fuck man take it easy.

It would be incredibly aggy for them to create a vaccine, sell it to the world as a miracle drug developed by the bestest most smartest engineers in the world, to find out months later that the vaccine causes patients to be infertile or give them something more deadly.

On 3/22/2020 at 4:05 PM, Bama Chick said:

Can we be snarky about this one?

Hollywood A-listers crying videos incoming any day now.

12 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

This thread, like all classic threads, is incredibly informative, highly entertaining, a little weird, and a dash of cuntiness...all wrapped up in one giant asshole tortilla. 

Asshole tortilla, another great band name.

11 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Separate the message from the messenger.  There is a cost-benefit analysis to be made AT SOME POINT.  Putting the economy into recession or depression will cost lives and wreck lives for years to come.  COVID-19 is also awful.  Which is worse?

I know which one I choose, but I’m not tied down to anyone that’s at risk. If we delete a large portion of those 65 plus it will do wonders to help keep social security funded, so there’s that :/

2 minutes ago, South Austin said:

So what are the chances my vasectomy will proceed on May 8 as scheduled?  I’m focused on the important things, people.

That sort of thing is out patient at the Urologist's office.  

Counterpoint: they may want to re purpose medical supplies, mask, gloves, paper gown for medical professionals responding to the pandemic.

Also make sure you do all the followup testing.  I have a friend that skipped the tests and there was an issue...  Twins!  Surprise motherfucker.gif

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Loco said:

That sort of thing is out patient at the Urologist's office.  

Counterpoint: they may want to re purpose medical supplies, mask, gloves, paper gown for medical professionals responding to the pandemic.

Also make sure you do all the followup testing.  I have a friend that skipped the tests and there was an issue...  Twins!  Surprise motherfucker.gif

That's good advice. It also happened to a friend of mine. He decided to skip providing follow up samples to the urologist. Just one, not twins though. Absolutely do every follow up test to make sure that you are indeed clear. 

Edited by topochico

6 hours ago, RayDog said:

Per NDT China did not count 43,000 asymptomatic positives as confirmed cases. China lost 21 million mobile subscribers in the past three months. An article published in a Japanese journal put the percentage of asymptomatic cases at 30.8%.

I’m not going to watch that, but is the implication there that 21 million people in China actually died?

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m not going to watch that, but is the implication there that 21 million people in China actually died?

I didn't watch the video either.  But I don't think there is ANY way possible 21m people died without word getting out.  Not to mention we would have picked up the funeral pyres or mass graves being prepared and filled on satellite.  The logistics of that chunk of their population dying and NOT being detected by any western country are basically 0% imho.   

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Next dumbfuck that compares Italy's numbers to ours without acknowledging the fact that we're 5x the population or 30x the geographical size needs to be banned from here and forced to take a basic geography class. Probably a basic math class too. 

So we can just do away with the Cloak Room?

NY and Italy do compare. Hopefully we take note and follow NY as what not to do with overpopulation and density. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, WBT said:

It would be interesting to see those rates modeled versus population density, average daily temp, average relative humidity, and whatever other factors you could think to throw in there.  You'd need a way to account for societal norms for contact and timing of social distancing efforts also.

Use the eigenvalues!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

Stand by for some changes to new awards. Seeing lots of site visits getting cancelled, delayed, etc.

On the government side, yes.  We also do a lot of commercial and are focused on work in data centers.  We've been told to expect a lot of work coming in on that side.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, South Austin said:

The chances of the doctor and nurse laughing at your micropenis during the procedure is nearly 100%

• Like 2

Kentucky couple reportedly tried to buy as many Mountain Dew cans at a Louisville Kroger earlier this week and complained to an employee when they were not allowed to leave the store. The man and woman tried to buy 23 cases, totaling 552 cans of Mountain Dew. The video, published by The Daily Mail on Friday and posted on Reddit, surfaced as grocery stores have struggled to keep shelves stocked during the coronavirus outbreak.

The man told a cashier he was told he could drop off some Mountain Dew cases in his car, then come back into the store to buy more. When he is told he cannot buy more, he is heard yelling, "A straight up lie. What a liar! You're such a liar. ... You just told me right now that I could go outside and come back in and get the drinks."

The man continued shouting, while the woman tried to keep the peace. He even started to push the cart away before the woman stopped him. He was told he was only able to take two of the four cases in his cart. She picked up the other two cases and slammed them on the cash register before pushing the cart away.

https://popculture.com/trending/2020/03/23/coronavirus-mountain-dew-kroger-couple-552-cans/

10 hours ago, BradInATX said:

A couple of hospitals in Austin are cutting hours in certain departments, or looking into it because elective surgeries are all being shut down; primarily because of supply chain issues. Lack of cases could be as simple as they don't have supplies to run surgeries. Not PPE/masks/etc., basic other stuff that's sourced in China or overseas. The example I was given was drapes that go over surgery tables. I'm no hospital scientist, maybe ChiTown can shine some light on this. But it doesn't really mean anything re:COVID, one way or another.

this is a million percent not the case. no one is cancelling elective surgeries because they don't have enough supplies to do so - elective cases were cancelled because it allows for the PPE that was going to be used for that specific surgery to not be used and be saved for a later date

let's be crystal clear here - there are no hospitals in Texas that cancelled all elective surgeries because they were totally out of PPE. 

sorry you got bad info...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

this is a million percent not the case. no one is cancelling elective surgeries because they don't have enough supplies to do so - elective cases were cancelled because it allows for the PPE that was going to be used for that specific surgery to not be used and be saved for a later date

let's be crystal clear here - there are no hospitals in Texas that cancelled all elective surgeries because they were totally out of PPE. 

sorry you got bad info...

Let's be crystal clear here - you're a fucking idiot. I literally spelled out in my post that the shortages were not of PPE, but of other supplies. Are you retarded? My info is fine, I can assure you of that. Your reading comprehension, on the other hand. I guess the part where I said "Not PPE/masks/etc.," didn't spell it out enough for your stupid ass.

Edited by BradInATX

For those praising Cuomo, he apparently told reporters on Sunday that the closures and quarantine in New York "could last for months."

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-cuomo-stay-at-home-orders-could-last-for-months-2020-3

FWIW, the NY Times did not run with this.  I hope to Christ he is just talking worst case scenarios.  

While I admire him taking it seriously, he has given ZERO fucking hope to anyone.  He is the ultimate debbie downer.  FYI, he and De Blasio still have their little slap fights all the time too.

If you are able to take an old shopping during senior hour (by that I mean sit in the parking lot—if you are not old. I can just sit while my mom piddles like a mofo in the Walmart) do it. Make a list to give them. Just kidding. The other olds (not my mom) sure do hustle when they have the store to themselves for old people hour. They are flying into the store with their carts. I’ve been here 45 minutes waiting for my mom to get out. Meanwhile olds hustling everywhere. Jeez.
walmart started old peeps shopping hour today. 
cosco too. Fun stuff. Let me tell you. Riveting. Thank goodness for Sirius/XM in my car. 

7 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

9/11 was 2001 my dude. The shoe bomber was before that. Flying has not been simple since the mid 80s. 

Shoe bomber was 22 December 2001.  The prior paradigm in US commercial air travel began to degrade in 1992 following the collapse of Eastern and Pan Am in 1991 when Wall Street invaded the boardroom of every US airline of any size.  Flying was still "simple" up until 9/10.

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

If you are able to take an old shopping during senior hour (by that I mean sit in the parking lot—if you are not old. I can just sit while my mom piddles like a mofo in the Walmart) do it. Make a list to give them. Just kidding. The other olds (not my mom) sure do hustle when they have the store to themselves for old people hour. They are flying into the store with their carts. I’ve been here 45 minutes waiting for my mom to get out. Meanwhile olds hustling everywhere. Jeez.
walmart started old peeps shopping hour today. 
cosco too. Fun stuff. Let me tell you. Riveting. Thank goodness for Sirius/XM in my car. 

Good idea.  Armybrat took his grandson today and let him go shop

• Like 3

Let's be crystal clear here - you're a fucking idiot. I literally spelled out in my post that the shortages were not of PPE, but of other supplies. Are you retarded? My info is fine, I can assure you of that. Your reading comprehension, on the other hand. I guess the part where I said "Not PPE/masks/etc.," didn't spell it out enough for your stupid ass.

Ur a dumbass.

22 minutes ago, NoName said:

here is this guy's twitter account and charts: https://twitter.com/jburnmurdoch

Yesterday's Chart:

ET1F6-1WkAAj41H.jpg:large

Why is it that the only graphs we see now are Cumulative Cases (y axis)?  The original Flatten The Curve graphs were all # of Daily Cases (y axis).  I'm sure they're not trying to deceive anyone...  well anyway, does anyone have a link to an updated graph that is not cumulative?

flattening_the_curve_final.jpg&f=1&nofb=

26 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

my fault, i misread. i apologize. 

that said, you have bad info on this or your friend works in a pretty ill prepared hospital. 

the operating rooms of hospitals drive a ton of the revenue. this is why no one wanted to cancel elective surgeries ($$$) until they had to. 

if a hospital had to cancel multiple surgeries due to running out of very basic things like surgery table drapes, which they could very easily acquire from a huge number of sources including other facilities in their system or independent facilities in their area, they deserve to go out of business. 

if they don't have drapes for example, this means they have to be on ER or trauma diversion because they can't take any trauma cases. nobody wants this.

if their supply chain is so bad that they don't have very basic stuff like this, needed for essentially all cases of of their main financial driver, they need new executive and supply chain leadership. 

Edited by NoName

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away