Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away

InkaUtexas

10 hours ago, Homercles said:

For anyone wondering how to spend some time with a quality series...I recommend The Wire.  

It’ll start a little slow, the ode to Snot Boogey is just the beginning...McNulty has his flaws, but let him guide you into the seedy Baltimore underground. Season 2 will come as a shocking change of pace, but you’ll learn to begrudgingly respect it with the gift of hindsight.  Omar may be the best antihero ever created for tv, but learn to love Brandon while you can so you can learn to understand Mr Little.  Laugh with Bunk, but shut up when Lester is speaking and you may learn something...like Bunk does when Lester finds Lex resting place.  

If I were a man with time to burn and no wife/kids to worry about, that’s what I’d do.  And I’ll be jealous as fuck of any of y’all watching it for the first time.  

Just finished up season 1 for the 3rd time and planning to make my way through them all again. So many good lines that you forget about (Daniels to Burrel) "You would rather be surrounded by shit than be seen with a shovel in your hand" 

Just now, Cheeseweasel said:

So if I told you that you need to get more protein in your diet and you ate raw chicken, I'm at fault?

I guess I missed the part where I typed that someone is legally liable or "at fault."  I don't blame anybody for their death.  I used the word "encouragement" for a specific reason, so that people who know how to read would understand.  They were encouraged to try this by someone outside their patient-doctor circle of trust.  Those outside parties are not at fault, but they should attempt to be more responsible in the future.  Winemakers aren't at fault for me drinking too much wine, but they do encourage me to do so.  Beef producers aren't at fault for me eating too much read meat, but they encourage me to do so.  And so on, and so on.  

These folks were encouraged to try this drug and they fucked up.  Nobody is at fault but them.  Darwin works in mysterious ways.  

Just now, GreenspointTexas said:

How in the fuck are liquor stores essential?

Because 'Murica.  I for one am happy to hear they were declared essential.  This is not a great month for some folks to detox completely.  

1 minute ago, GreenspointTexas said:

No joke, the Specs in midtown Houston is better stocked than most grocery stores. They have all the staple items and basics, roast coffee beans every morning, and have booze. It's fucking great

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I guess I missed the part where I typed that someone is legally liable or "at fault."  I don't blame anybody for their death.  I used the word "encouragement" for a specific reason, so that people who know how to read would understand.  They were encouraged to try this by someone outside their patient-doctor circle of trust.  Those outside parties are not at fault, but they should attempt to be more responsible in the future.  Winemakers aren't at fault for me drinking too much wine, but they do encourage me to do so.  Beef producers aren't at fault for me eating too much read meat, but they encourage me to do so.  And so on, and so on.  

These folks were encouraged to try this drug and they fucked up.  Nobody is at fault but them.  Darwin works in mysterious ways.  

If someone tells me to get chemo if I have cancer, that doesn't mean they are encouraging me to go home and mix a few of the ingredients myself and inject it into my body.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Because if they get closed down, you’ll see a run on the liquor stores that will end up hurting your original directive. 

source: I experienced it yesterday and the lines were more dangerous than keeping them open with more strict guidelines. 

1 minute ago, Patricio Swayze said:

Someone explained up thread that since many sell food and water they are considered part of the food supply chain, and thus essential.

And they sell booze which is about 10 percent of my bloodstream right now.  And I’m in an essential industry.  

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

I went to Twin Liquors last night at 8:30 to grab a few bottles before the non-essential businesses shut indefinitely. They had a sign that said they will remain open. I drove down the street to Total Wines and they had a similar sign. The manager was monitoring a one in-one out policy at the door, and said because they offer foods and non-alcohol beverages as well during a time people may have trouble getting into a grocery store, they are classified as essential. I didn’t argue with the man. 

1 minute ago, Don Johnson said:

If someone tells me to get chemo if I have cancer, that doesn't mean they are encouraging me to go home and mix a few of the ingredients myself and inject it into my body.

That actually isn't a comparable situation at all. Because usually a medical doctor is recommending chemotherapy specifically for you, face to face, with an outline as to how the treatment will go. They aren't getting on TV and giving you vague, unstudied, unresearched information and telling you it is a cure.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

7 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

WTF? The anecdote was that

1. my HOA parks in the city limits was overrun with kids from multiple families so people aren’t taking it serious. 

2. My wife had genuine concern that non-English speaking populations may not be receiving adequate information. 

But I appreciate you making assumptions about my intelligence and voting record. You should go chain yourself to a Boat Anchor

FIFY 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

I went to Twin Liquors last night at 8:30 to grab a few bottles before the non-essential businesses shut indefinitely. They had a sign that said they will remain open. I drove down the street to Total Wines and they had a similar sign. The manager was monitoring a one in-one out policy at the door, and said because they offer foods and non-alcohol beverages as well during a time people may have trouble getting into a grocery store, they are classified as essential. I didn’t argue with the man. 

No way you can argue with his logic. Plus he has the booze and could just not let you in. 

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Go fuck yourself, that’s how. Mental health matters, and while perhaps not the healthiest outlet, it’s still a viable crutch. You think fucking crowds are hanging out at the liquor stores? Guess what the essential grocery stores are crowd magnets right now. 

Youre literally not happy unless you have something to throw a fucking hissy fit about every second. Should we shut down food deliveries too? 

It says something about society when alcohol and on-demand entertainment are not just considered good for the psyche but also necessary.

/stepsdownfromhighhorse

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

22 minutes ago, Lobo said:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/23/health/arizona-coronavirus-chloroquine-death/index.html

I know CNN is fake news to you, but the compound is also used in drugs made to combat malaria.  There isn't a global health service on the planet that doesn't use some form of that drug to treat malaria.  Yes, it is also a compound found in fish tank cleaner.  

Since we can’t talk politics here, the encouragement for why this couple tried this risky self-medication will be lost to time...

I love that you're reduced to clinging to the notion that this is just a couple in a particular voting demographic that happened upon a bad idea at a PetCo.  When any rational human knows what they did and precisely why they did it.  

The only thing you said that had any substance to it but yet you still can’t help yourself.  Go to CR dipshit.  

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Bevo VIII said:

So what good is shelter in place when majority of businesses are claiming they’re essential?

I think it's more about the message than anything.  Because I'm not really sure what businesses were impacted that weren't previously impacted by prior orders.

9 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

WTF? The anecdote was that

1. my HOA parks in the city limits was overrun with kids from multiple families so people aren’t taking it serious. 

2. My wife had genuine concern that non-English speaking populations may not be receiving adequate information. 

But I appreciate you making assumptions about my intelligence and voting record. You should go chain yourself to a cloak room thread. 

8 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

You guys are arguing with a cloak room troll. They seem to all be of some sort of pathology where they think that we’re all in danger based on whatever the president says, and when someone dies of their own stupidity, he must be held accountable and personally put on trial for murder.

That’s the best I can tell. I’ve never seen this phenomenon in real life where people hang on every word someone they despise says, and then spend all day talking about it. I get the vibe that that is pretty much what happens in the cloak room all day. Just wait to see what is said next, then rotate between fuming and sobbing. Watching paint dry sounds more fun, but I’m not a fucking lemming, so who knows. 

Anywho, feel free to join me in just negging these fucktards on site. I’ve actually stopped waiting to finish reading their posts. 

• Like 7

Just now, Skipper said:

I think it's more about the message than anything.  Because I'm not really sure what businesses were impacted that weren't previously impacted by prior orders.

I believe it gives cops the power to actually disperse groups of people just hanging out in public, although I'm not quite sure how that works.

@Constant

11 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

That actually isn't a comparable situation at all. Because usually a medical doctor is recommending chemotherapy specifically for you, face to face, with an outline as to how the treatment will go. They aren't getting on TV and giving you vague, unstudied, unresearched information and telling you it is a cure.

Who said its a doctor telling me to do it?  If Trump tells me to get chemo if I get cancer he's not encouraging me to mix up a home remedy and inject it into my body.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BradInATX said:

Hey, it's all good. But you came at me with a shitty patronizing post, and now you're all like "whoa calm down guy" when someone comes back at your patronizing bait. Don't be passive aggressive - just own that you made a post in reply to something that you either didn't fully read or understand and move on. Peace.

Y'all gonna fuck and make up or what?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

I believe it gives cops the power to actually disperse groups of people just hanging out in public, although I'm not quite sure how that works.

@Constant

Yeah, it’s all trending towards the fantasy some have articulated here in which we put the cops fully in power, and then let them decide what we all should and shouldn’t be doing at any given point in time. I didn’t even realize that that was a thing in America, but it’s revealed itself loudly and proudly on this thread. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Bevo VIII said:

Why is new construction, road construction, etc business as usual if they’re not building hospitals and etc?

Like road projects have been going on for 2-5 years places so what is shutting that type of construction going to hurt in the grand scheme of things?

12 hours ago, Bevo said:

I agree with this. You tell dermatologists and ENT that their work is elective unless they are treating cancer and in the same breath tell construction workers building a strip mall in Florence, TX that they are essential. If the goal is to not congregate in groups and to keep people isolated, then do it. 

There's several reasons actually. First and foremost, when your road caves in or watermain breaks, we are the ones that have to fix it, and we aren't like Roto rooter just hanging out waiting for a call. We can't just idle and then go, it's a lot of moving parts.

Secondly, we can keep generating economic activity fairly safely because we are all spread out in the open air working, and we are self contained, ie. not customer facing. We don't mix with the public so there's no wider transmission risk.

ETA: Even in Italy the road contractors are still working.

Edited by G650
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, JBJ said:

@Constant

He said yesterday he would probably just yell at people from the window, which makes sense.  I do think that is going to be the primary impact of the order though.   I'm not sure why these businesses are given their employees letters that say they are essential.  It's not like cops are going to be pulling random cars over.

Just now, JBJ said:

@Constant

No idea, my man. We still haven’t been told whats what. I think most of the teeth of the deal belongs to code enforcement/health department. I’m not positive, though.

Spent all last night blocking traffic for a major incident and it was surreal as people thought it was for the order. Tons of people getting out their cars waving their little “im essential” letter. Feel like we’re in a doomsday movie  

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

Yeah, it’s all trending towards the fantasy some have articulated here in which we put the cops fully in power, and then let them decide what we all should and shouldn’t be doing at any given point in time. I didn’t even realize that that was a thing in America, but it’s revealed itself loudly and proudly on this thread. 

What in the fuck are you talking about? Nobody in this thread wants or has said they want cops to come and lock the country down. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JBJ said:

It says something about society when alcohol and on-demand entertainment are not just considered good for the psyche but also necessary.

/stepsdownfromhighhorse

I literally said “not the healthiest outlet” in my post, so you can fuck right off with that and shove it up your ass. So by all means, please, stay on your high horse. 

in France cigarette shops are considered essential. Now feel free to shit all over every aspect of their society. I’m sorry free society doesn’t mean much to you, and you don’t have any sympathy for those who are really struggling with the newfound restrictions on said personal freedoms. 

• hayden_horn changed the title to Formerly DT: COVID-19 - Featuring Lots of Politics, now CR because political talk not going away